PDA

View Full Version : death grunt technique?

parabola5353
12-29-2006, 09:27 PM
ive always wondered how i can do it with out fucking up my throat. any tips from anyone?

Metastasis
12-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Well, I'm not sure if I've mastered the technique myself. I've been focusing more on the screaming and using the growls more as window dressing. All I can say is that you need to constrict your throat and push from your gut, thus making a groaning sound. The key is in how hard you push, not how much you constrict your throat - but don't push too hard, make sure you have enough air. Having enough air for your lungs and oxygen for your head is most crucial. I can growl a lot longer than scream before I start to get fainty/achy in the head, but it will still begin when I run out of air to push the groan out.

That is, unless you're going for the gurgly toilet sound. I don't know how the fuck people do that shit, but I have a feeling it has more to do with vocal chord manipulation than it is about pushing, which goes against everything I just said.
Oh, well.

I'd try just "singing" along with singers you like and seeing what happens. That's what I did. Hope any of this helped (haha).

Tim

parabola5353
12-29-2006, 11:54 PM
thanks for the response. how did you manage to do it without fucking up your throat though?

Metastasis
12-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Well, like I said, you don't want to constrict your throat too much - that will mess up your voice. Rely more on pushing than constricting, combined with consistant practice and lots of chamomile tea. Other than that, I don't know, I just do it.

Growls don't really mess up my throat, though, it's the screaming.

TheOtherOne
12-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Its not natural to scream/growl so no matter what you do I think it will mess your throat up some.

Vriend
12-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Its not natural to scream/growl so no matter what you do I think it will mess your throat up some.
I sure don't hope so.

Vriend
12-30-2006, 06:30 PM
That is, unless you're going for the gurgly toilet sound. I don't know how the fuck people do that shit, but I have a feeling it has more to do with vocal chord manipulation than it is about pushing, which goes against everything I just said.
Oh, well.

I'd try just "singing" along with singers you like and seeing what happens. That's what I did. Hope any of this helped (haha).

Tim

About the "gurgly toilet sound" , just grunt and then go lower. You need to get as low as you can.

Metastasis
12-30-2006, 11:56 PM
About the "gurgly toilet sound" , just grunt and then go lower. You need to get as low as you can.
I've never been able to get that low. I'm still grunty.

parabola5353
12-31-2006, 12:37 AM
I've never been able to get that low. I'm still grunty.

id like to get that low somehow. the lowest id go is what birdflesh does on songs like eternal emotions and such.

Oleg
01-01-2007, 10:56 PM

Wrong.

THATDUDE7
01-02-2007, 01:44 AM
i hope i can catch on to death and scream vocals.

cp101
01-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I wrote this a few months ago, should help. Just ask if you want me to clarify, I don't believe I'm awesome at it, but its helped others atleast.

How to: Metal Vocals

Okay, so there's a fuckin' million ways to learn how to distort your voice. I know a few. So, here's a few.

First thing is first; you're not screaming. You're barely projecting your voice, depending on what kind of distortion you want

(the screech(The Alto)(the black metal esque vocals), the oink(the Bass)(the death metal pig sqeuals, obviously), the growling(baritone)(the death metal classic) or the barking(tenor)(lamb of god style)) I'm pretty bad at explaining the screech, but, I did cartoon voices a lot as a kid and i mimicked actors, so I never had a problem making my voice sound like The Wicked Witch of the West's Angry Brother. The high, black metal shit that some metalcore vocalists have borrowed.

Then there's the oink. The 'sqeual', the 'meep', the 'grr', or the 'brie', whatever way you look at it. There's the one you inhale, and then there's the one you exhale. But first... "How it won't hurt"

There's a couple ways to protect your chords, especially from nodes. The first exercise, is a cough. Now, this may take chance, but next time you cough, figure out what your stomach does. It'll generally feel like you're pushing with diaphragm. So, kinda like taking a crap, and that last one just doesn't wanna leave. Take in normal amounts of breath. If you need to hold a note for twenty seconds, obviously take more. But, you don't need half your lungs capacity to 'scream' or 'growl' half a second worth of music. That will just tire you out, and make it easier for you to run out of breath.

On to the show!

Exhalation pig-vocals produces a superior sound, the inhale doesn't actually project as well. I would suggest learning the Exhale first. The way I do the exhale: I purse my lips, move my tongue to the roof of my mouth(around the middle) and produce a grunting noise(like a cough, or a meow, or a low roar). Then I control dynamics of my voice; to make it higher or lower. For this technique we want to go low. Now, you can also do some goofy faces to control how much air is getting in your mouth. The smaller the mouth is, the lower you can go, and the contrast is true; the wider your mouth is, the higher the perceived tone.
Inhalation pig-vocals, it sounds like a pig about to die. The original pig squeal! It' slow, and very guttural(think certain Psycroptic vocals). Again, you move the tongue to the roof of the mouth. But, inhale as if you're yawning. Keep the tongue on the roof. Now, the same thing from Exhalation applies here. There's many ways to add dynamics, and you of all people should know how to do strange things with your voice-box. Always experiment.

The Death Grunt! Not the sqeual, or a bark, but something in-between. The Baritone between the Tenor and Bass. This is probably one of the easier ones. Now, grumble. Make a grunting noise. It'll sound like a dog coughing if you have your mouth closed. Again, control the dynamics to distort it further. If you know how to make your voice sound low, you know how to control the grunt. Depending on how you pronounce words, it will be inhaled or exhaled. You shouldn't worry about that, you can experiment. Feel free, find what feels and sounds better.

The almighty bark. The most popular of vocal styles, because it has a couple ranges(Basically, I call it the bark because of Testament. I got my vocal chops from Testament's 'The Gathering' and Rammstein. Though, you shouldn't mimick other voices, but you should find out how you are mimicking so you can use that technique to find your voice.) You've got the Exodus sing/bark, then the Lamb of God bark(one of the most popular, and poorly imitated barks) Melodic Death metal bands put their own spin on a bark. A lot of vocalists experiment in barks. Adding grunts, screeches, squeals to produce their own variety. The vocalist is still a musician, much like a guitarist who experiments with different modes, scales, chords, etc. Anyways, the way I've done the bark... I actually bark. I was walking home one day, and on the end of my block lives a man who leaves his dog outside all the time. I'm unsure of the breed. It may have been a pit-bull or something, but it was large. It had a very distinct, rabid bark. And once, out of anger, I barked back at the dog, louder and meaner than it did at me. The owner came out and yelled at me, but I learned how to bark.
Find a dog, who has an ugly as hell bark, and mimick the bark. That doesn't sound that hard, right? It really isn't. Just learning how to control it as a singing style and how to prevent pain(I was loud on purpose, but I can do a bark soft as well as loud).

Those are some examples, if you have any questions, just message me. I'll be glad to help

. Tony Bullard sucks.

THATDUDE7
01-10-2007, 08:01 PM
what volume are death metal and scream vocals performed at?

Metastasis
01-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, my growls are not very loud at all. Screams are a bit louder, but because of projection, not from just shouting hella hard.

THATDUDE7
02-05-2007, 01:20 AM
how long did it take for you to get a powerful voice?

veganshinigami
02-05-2007, 02:20 AM
Whoever said screaming/growling will always fuck up your throat is WRONG.

Its ALL about breath control and using your diaphragm. CP101 is totally tight about the taking a shit muscle movement.Kinda push out your abs and when exhale, and DON'T scream/growl to the point where you have no air in your lungs. I have found that is when my vocal chords get damaged.

And as for volume, its different depending on your technique. My low vocals are louder than talking, and my screaming is fucking loud.

THATDUDE7
02-05-2007, 10:02 PM

Metastasis
02-05-2007, 10:44 PM
how long did it take for you to get a powerful voice?

I've been screaming and growling on and off for a while...maybe around 4 or 5 years. But I never really made a concentrated effort (as in: regular practice schedule) until the recording of Cognitive.

I'm currently working on being able to pull of a whole set and it's still a bit rough, but I'm getting there.

THATDUDE7
02-08-2007, 09:08 PM
damn. cuz right now i really suck at growling and im not much better at screaming, but its something i really want to be able to do.

Spit_Me_Out
02-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Well. I have been practicing this for about 4 months now, and I am finally getting alot better. First. When you are trying to get a very low death grunt, as bands such as cannibal corpse do. You need to bring it up from your gut. Don't use your throat, you could badly damage your vocal cords not saying you will, but you could.. It takes alot of practice.

Another way is you can do inward vocals. It is fairly difficult at first. You have to learn how to pinch your thoat and manipulate it to get very very low. A great local band from where i live uses this technique and they sound incredible. Check them out. Even message them, they could help you out if you are interested in this style. http://www.myspace.com/slaughterbox

I tend to use the outward growls and grunts though, and for the higher notes i tend to go to pigs. And i use inward for that and pinch my throat or something, and it makes like a whistle that sounds like a pig in a way. It makes for an awesome sounds. Some good bands that do that are Circle Of Dead Children, Job For A Cowboy, Despised Icon, Waking The Cadaver, and more.

Hope i helped some.

SiegeEngine
02-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Well. I have been practicing this for about 4 months now, and I am finally getting alot better. First. When you are trying to get a very low death grunt, as bands such as cannibal corpse do. You need to bring it up from your gut. Don't use your throat, you could badly damage your vocal cords not saying you will, but you could.. It takes alot of practice.

Another way is you can do inward vocals. It is fairly difficult at first. You have to learn how to pinch your thoat and manipulate it to get very very low. A great local band from where i live uses this technique and they sound incredible. Check them out. Even message them, they could help you out if you are interested in this style. http://www.myspace.com/slaughterbox

I tend to use the outward growls and grunts though, and for the higher notes i tend to go to pigs. And i use inward for that and pinch my throat or something, and it makes like a whistle that sounds like a pig in a way. It makes for an awesome sounds. Some good bands that do that are Circle Of Dead Children, Job For A Cowboy, Despised Icon, Waking The Cadaver, and more.

Hope i helped some.

Not only are you wrong, but your taste in music is atrocious.

Dave, having people tell you how to do it won't help. Just put on a record that you like, and scream along. All it take is time.

The Angel of Death
02-25-2007, 04:30 AM
ive always wondered how i can do it with out fucking up my throat. any tips from anyone?

1)drink water before you even start warming up. also when you have a gig that night or watever start practiceing all day Not in your death metal voice in a normal voice singing anything you can think of or that comes Into your head and hydrate with water because face it their is Noting worse than wakeing up the next morning feeling like you have barbed wire in your throat.

2)get a tape that voice coaches use i have one that corey taylor( slipknot) was trained On when He fucked his voice Up , it will give you good tech's for warming Up and warming down after the gig ( who wants the warm down when their a masive party going on thow ?) James hetfeild of metallica has a tape which he was given after the black album by his voice coach from when he fucked It up doing a cover song.

3)an hour of so before your gig and you feel your voice is rite then start getting into some death metal vocals . it would be a stupid thing to do singing your heart out all day then before the gig not been able to open your mouth becuase of the strain you have put yourself under.

also thease are tips for pure death metal growlers not screaming type stuff. I would have no idea how to warm up for that. I spose pritty much the same.

Metastasis
03-22-2007, 01:15 AM
I just wanted to say that I tried singing along with Strapping Young Lad's Alien CD and I have a new appreciation for Devin Towsend's vocals. Goddamn he has some range! There are some notes I could not dream of hitting. I never realized how talented he is, I was always blinded by the crazy synth and drumming.

I always neglect to list these guys as an influence on Anomalous (especially the sampling/industrial-esque side). I also love Devin Townsend's production jobs.

Metastasis
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I think the loudness depends on what "style" of growl you're going for. If you want barking gruntiness (kind of like Corpse Grinder), then you'll want to be loud about it. If you're going for the more gurgley style, then you are probably not going to be projecting too much.

Oleg
09-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I just wanted to say that I tried singing along with Strapping Young Lad's Alien CD and I have a new appreciation for Devin Towsend's vocals. Goddamn he has some range! There are some notes I could not dream of hitting. I never realized how talented he is, I was always blinded by the crazy synth and drumming.

I always neglect to list these guys as an influence on Anomalous (especially the sampling/industrial-esque side). I also love Devin Townsend's production jobs.

Fuck yeah, I love that album. Devin Townsend's vocals are inhuman.

coloredCYANIDE
10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I've found it easiest to actually increase the volume of my throat when I growl, to use less air and enable more resonance in my mouth, which acts on essentially the same principles as a huge theater; sound waves bouncing everywhere in your throat before you push them out means amplification to a certain extent. You will definitely want to be pushing air using your diaphragm, and do not use your full lung capacity to sing! Take breaths at a relaxed rate, and stay hydrated.

It's very rare for two people to talk or sing exactly alike, so really just focus on finding your own niche first. If you want to do something that's out of your vocal range you can work TOWARDS it but don't expect it to sound exactly like that without causing at least some damage. Try singing along to your favorite vocalists and see which style you're the most compatible with, then BUILD off of that.

If your throat hurts at ALL after doing vocals you need to work on technique more, and be careful! Vocal polyps are absolutely no fun.