PDA

View Full Version : Oath To Vanquish - Terrorizer review

Surt
02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
With Myspace full of young technically proficient death/grind bands whose sense of entitlement has knocked any sense of purpose out of them, it's taken a band from Lebanon to set the standard for modern grind.

'Applied Schizophrenic Science' neither devolves into overly dense whimsy nor assumes that a dry succession of key changes amounts to anything worthwhile. Instead it has a rampages [fucking awful grammar - Surt] with a consistent power and urgency, varied enough to maintain it's hold over you, yet with unforced-sounding transitions.
But most importantly, it has an internal perspective that drives through every track, no doubt informed by their homeland situation, and it kicks ass in a way that puts their bloodless peers to shame.

Starting off on a rapidly escalating blast with a series of vocal heaves and splurge, opener 'Pear Of Anguish' is a face-tearing assault, but elsewhere Oath To Vanquish prove adept at building up tension and momentum as tracks are sheathed in discordant riffs, even touching on the melodic as 'Toxic Bowel Manoeuvre' brushes up against epic, BM-infused tones.

This is as sharp and coherent as grind gets, and knows precisely where to stick the knife in.

(7.5) Jonathan Selzer

Rhino Grindethic
02-01-2007, 08:12 PM
cooooooool - that's a great review, actually!!!!
Definitely worth the wait. congrats to the leb boyz.

Thanks for typing, Surt!

artisian
02-09-2007, 08:19 AM
this album is fuckin great, nice fellas too i hear

Surt
02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
cooooooool - that's a great review, actually!!!!
Definitely worth the wait. congrats to the leb boyz.

Thanks for typing, Surt!

no worries... i read it and thought it a positive review so i thought i'd share it round here save people having to spend their money on that rag. heh
That and the fact that I seem attached at the hip to the internet.