SMNnews Forums

SMNnews Forums (http://forums.smnnews.com/index.php)
-   Spawn of Possession (http://forums.smnnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Line-up update deluxe. (http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=210358)

bryzz 06-24-2009 07:52 PM

Line-up update deluxe.

Two very talented and competent musicians has recently joined Spawn of Possession.
Matthew Chalk (Ex-Psycroptic) is going to handle the vocal and lyric writing.
Christian Muenzner (Obscura, Ex-Necrophagist) is going to do the Lead Guitar part and unleash his madness
into the multicoloured and distorted universe of Spawn of Possession. The Line-up is now complete:

Vocals - Matthew Chalk
Bass - Erlend Caspersen
Drums - Richard Schill
Guitar - Christian Muenzner
Guitar - Jonas Bryssling

Skin Coffin 06-24-2009 09:15 PM

Never would I have imagined Chalky and Christian to join SoP.

Bryzz, does Christian being the 'Lead Guitar' in the band mean that you wont be playing/writing any solos on the new album?

crispy 06-24-2009 09:53 PM

awesome news

phagist_ 06-24-2009 09:54 PM

win

TheAlphaBreed 06-24-2009 09:57 PM

I'm assuming Chalky is/isn't relocating?..

Fractal_Mortality 06-25-2009 02:15 AM

I am so essited.

Dr. Kang Mao-pang 06-25-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAlphaBreed (Post 3256156)
I'm assuming Chalky is/isn't relocating?..

Haha yes, you are right in your assumption that I am or am not relocating haha.

But no, i am not relocating.

phagist_ 06-25-2009 02:53 AM

is this gunna be your priority or Mepho, Chalky?

Murko 06-25-2009 07:07 AM

what a great news !!!!!

Dr. Kang Mao-pang 06-25-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phagist_ (Post 3256367)
is this gunna be your priority or Mepho, Chalky?

It's not really about priorities, each one has its place. BUT Mepho is here, where I live, and the dudes are my bros, so of course Mepho is more part of me, etc. But both things are exciting, and need the max C-dog effort haha.

daff3 06-25-2009 01:09 PM

sweet news! great freaking line up. Kommer ju låta nice det här!

cytrus47 06-25-2009 05:37 PM

great line-up...however, i really hope the leads are not necrophagist/obscura II. Not that they're bad or anything, but i hope they are unique to fit SoP's style.

MarkMacDonald 06-26-2009 01:57 AM

Holy shit. Really, really, really awesome line-up. I would not have expected this line-up to happen at all. I am absolutely stoked. Chalky's vocals are killer, and Christian is a pretty amazing guitarist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cytrus47 (Post 3256858)
great line-up...however, i really hope the leads are not necrophagist/obscura II. Not that they're bad or anything, but i hope they are unique to fit SoP's style.

I may be horribly wrong, but I don't think Christian wrote any of the leads on any Necrophagist tracks besides possibly Symbiotic in Theory. Hopefully somebody can clarify this for me.

Edit: Richard better have been practicing Scorched!

Inertiopus 06-26-2009 02:19 PM

Christian wrote all his own leads for both bands. Thats pretty much the norm for lead players.

Abstract_Logic 06-26-2009 02:27 PM

Christian wrote a solo in Stabwound, the second solo in the Stillborn One, all of the solo in Epitaph, the first and third in Only Ash Remains, the solo in Seven, and the first in Symbiotic in Theory. The guy can shred and I'm sure he'll do a great job at finding a sound that fits SoP even if it ISNT a karlsson II

Inertiopus 06-26-2009 03:04 PM

I didn`t like karlsson`s leads. The only complaint I had about SOP.

MarkMacDonald 06-26-2009 03:05 PM

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I was only going by word of mouth on that one. Either way I'm stoked to hear what he has in store for SOP.

munkysauce13 06-26-2009 04:03 PM

so stoked. I missed chalkys vocals in psycroptic one of my favorite bands and now hes goin to be on one of my other favorite bands. cant wait.

Mister_Willy 06-26-2009 06:22 PM

holy shit this is the best news of the year!!!!

what a monster line up of death metal vets in this band...

cjgone 06-26-2009 07:34 PM

Mmm, line up sounds good. I have not heard Chalk's vocals yet), but i've heard great things about his screams.

The new guitarist is definitely talented, but I'm hoping that Bryzz will write most of the riffs. A little Obscura and Necrophagist influence would be a nice addition to SoPs riff writing--but keeping the "SoP feel" is still essential.

Honky Reduction 06-27-2009 09:31 AM

Cant wait for this! Awesome!

Inertiopus 06-27-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjgone (Post 3257949)
Mmm, line up sounds good. I have not heard Chalk's vocals yet), but i've heard great things about his screams.

The new guitarist is definitely talented, but I'm hoping that Bryzz will write most of the riffs. A little Obscura and Necrophagist influence would be a nice addition to SoPs riff writing--but keeping the "SoP feel" is still essential.

Only leads sre being written by chris.

Choronzon 06-28-2009 07:04 AM

Will this line-up be touring in support of the yet-to-be completed new album as well, or is it merely a recording line-up only?

Raad 06-28-2009 07:23 AM

According to Chalky, their agreement only stretches as far as the recording. If touring becomes a possibility, they will handle it then.

Vriend 06-28-2009 10:53 AM

Good to see there is a possiblity of touring.

blooddrunk 06-28-2009 05:58 PM

holy shit.

Scorched 06-28-2009 07:06 PM

I came. Everywhere.

Cannon 06-30-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inertiopus (Post 3257637)
I didn`t like karlsson`s leads. The only complaint I had about SOP.

Just wanted to say this is one SoP/guitarists opinion, nothing more. If you disagree or agree just remember its only my personal taste.

I couldn't disagree more to your post. Listen to tracks like "Uncle Damfee" or "Sour Flow" or really any SoP tracks for the solos. His timing and phrasing is some of the most unique I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Even if he only wrote the solos in the band, he was a very valuable addition and did much to paint the SoP sound.

Christian Muenzner on the other hand, to me is a 'paint-by-numbers' guitarist. His solos for Obscura, and the guitar parts in Obscura (definetly excluding the bass when I say this) are uninspired and lack the 'spirit' that makes good death metal good. It sounds like he is playing the notes just to play them. Of course he is an elite world class guitarist, and he has his chops down. His technical side is faultless (a prerequiste for this band anyway right?)

I just feel he lacks that 'spirit' that the soloists that the Karlssons, the Lemays, the Masvidals and the Shuldiners have. I know this is extremely elite company, but I would place SoP right up there with the all time greats of death metal. I think they deserve an all-time great guitarist handlings the leads.

All that said, I trust Bryssling's musical sense so I remain hopeful. He can see the SoP vision clearer than I can, and I will listen to the new stuff with an open mind. Just wanted to get my thoughts out to other fans of the band. I am glad to hear the band has a full line-up again! Congrats to all new members~~

Basstard 07-01-2009 01:48 PM

Don't judge a guitarist only on his work on one album. And no need to mention Necrophagist, Muenzner played the same kind of solo with them. But do you really think that a guitarist of this level wouldn't be able to show a little bit of polyvalence? By the way, Christian recorded for Defeated Sanity, a complete different style from Obscura and Necrphagist.

Cannon 07-01-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basstard (Post 3260836)
Don't judge a guitarist only on his work on one album. And no need to mention Necrophagist, Muenzner played the same kind of solo with them. But do you really think that a guitarist of this level wouldn't be able to show a little bit of polyvalence? By the way, Christian recorded for Defeated Sanity, a complete different style from Obscura and Necrphagist.

I'm going by his soloing alone. I didn't care for the soloing he contributed to either Obscura or Epitaph. Playing with Defeated Sanity proves his proficiency but to my knowledge he didn't play any solos. I'm not sure if he wrote any riffs for Defeated Sanity, and what exactly did he record with them? I thought he joined after Psalms and has now left.