SMNnews Forums

SMNnews Forums (http://forums.smnnews.com/index.php)
-   Death Metal Discussion (http://forums.smnnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Good TV Shows? (http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=215842)

skinfather 02-09-2011 11:16 PM

one of the things i don't like about community is that they try to excuse like generic/poor writing by using the muslim character to state they are aware it's generic. just because they are aware of it, and like to point it out, doesn't make it funny or any less generic. but overall it is ok. i didn't mind watching through all of the first season in like 3 days.

last shows i finished watching were curb your enthusiasm and louie. i enjoyed both a lot.

Oleg 02-09-2011 11:35 PM

saw the first episode of Louie when it premiered and i dunno...something about it just didn't hit. Lucky Louie was great though, can't believe it got canceled.

detazathoth 02-09-2011 11:56 PM

nova science now?

Monsieur Lebeauxxx 02-09-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhem After Death (Post 3681293)
saw the first episode of Louie when it premiered and i dunno...something about it just didn't hit. Lucky Louie was great though, can't believe it got canceled.

yeah, i can see how louie could be pretty polarizing. it's essentially CK doing short films that aren't necessarily always funny (or even meant to be funny, like the god episode for instance) framed with his standup that isn't even always relevant to the segment. personally, i think it's amazing but i can see how people might get turned off by it.

i dismissed lucky louie for the longest time because of the terrible reputation it had, but after reading some interview where CK said he wanted it to be a bare-bones old school type sitcom like the honeymooners i definitely want to check it out.

skinfather 02-10-2011 12:21 AM

i'll watch lucky louie then

really enjoyed louie

erotic plague 02-10-2011 12:36 AM

I love Louie CK. Definitely brings the lulz.

Oleg 02-10-2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsieur Lebeaux (Post 3681301)
yeah, i can see how louie could be pretty polarizing. it's essentially CK doing short films that aren't necessarily always funny (or even meant to be funny, like the god episode for instance) framed with his standup that isn't even always relevant to the segment. personally, i think it's amazing but i can see how people might get turned off by it.

yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me. after lucky louie, i anticipated louie for hilarity and it wound up being a deep and depressing episode lol.

skinfather 02-10-2011 01:45 AM

lol yea second half of the season was quite depressing

caseydoom 02-10-2011 02:52 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_w7R9d5vkb6...iflandolly.jpg

TheDeathlyLama 02-10-2011 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaca (Post 3681283)
Anyone know when Breaking Bad season 4 is coming out?

You fuh real?

modern death 02-10-2011 10:37 AM

Couldn't get into Twin Peaks.

Cloaca 02-10-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeathlyLama (Post 3681381)
You fuh real?

Yeah I am. Coming from Australia, we don't get AMC/HBO and all that on our actual televisions, so you don't hear anything about it. I imagine it's not too far away. Fuck I think our TV is still on about season 2, wouldn't really know though, I prefer downloading.

skinfather 02-10-2011 02:01 PM

^ ^ ^
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeathlyLama (Post 3681274)
Yeah, the new season isn't coming out until this summer apparently, in july...

Eternal Recurrence 02-10-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaitsabesWinklersson (Post 3681177)
In the show, I really, really hate his ex though. She's such a bitch, and thinking of what girls he can get, I really wonder what draws him to her.

Yeah, I agree, but his daughter is almost worse. Shittiest actress on tv by far and just an annoying character.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaitsabesWinklersson (Post 3681184)
^Thought about watching through this, but I'm not sure.

Do it. I'd say it's the best show on tv at the moment and it just gets better with every season. It may seem slow for a few episodes, but just keep watching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinfather (Post 3681288)
last shows i finished watching were curb your enthusiasm and louie. i enjoyed both a lot.

I loved the last two seasons of curb. Need to start watching louie, since I'm a huge fan of his standup.

gourmetanthropophagy 02-10-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaca (Post 3681505)
Yeah I am. Coming from Australia, we don't get AMC/HBO and all that on our actual televisions, so you don't hear anything about it. I imagine it's not too far away. Fuck I think our TV is still on about season 2, wouldn't really know though, I prefer downloading.

I think its june or july

Naitz 02-10-2011 04:18 PM

http://epguides.com/breakingbad/

11th of July

Jizzlobber 02-10-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseydoom (Post 3681370)

The Sifl and Olly Show! (ROCK!)

Nearly forgot all about that.

Oh and The Venture Bros. is still my favorite thing to watch, ever.

Monsieur Lebeauxxx 02-10-2011 09:42 PM

for SwedeMetal: long form interview with chris elliott

for NaitsabesFaglersson: cool extensive oral history of Party Down

Cocky Balboa 02-11-2011 01:59 AM

Been really getting into the show Shameless on Showtime. Each episode it's getting better and better. Last weeks was fucking funny, and William H. Macy was great. Plus, the main chick (Emmy Rossum I think is her name) is hot.

TheDeathlyLama 02-11-2011 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaca (Post 3681505)

Yeah, understandable, I was just saying that because I posted like 2 posts before yours saying that it was coming out in july.

Cloaca 02-11-2011 10:26 AM

Lo siento, no entiendo americano

SwedeMetal 02-11-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsieur Lebeaux (Post 3681738)
for SwedeMetal: long form interview with chris elliott

Sweet man, thanks! I may have to start watching snl again. I had no idea his daughter was on there.

Jizzlobber 02-11-2011 10:11 PM

TheBlackFlux 02-11-2011 11:11 PM

I have been enjoying Archer these past few weeks. Funny show.

Cognitive Defeat 02-12-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ten_second_infinity (Post 3681458)
Couldn't get into Twin Peaks.

I'm enjoying it. It's taking me a while to get through it though because I'm only watching 1 episode at a time and not every night.

GrindYourMind 02-12-2011 03:55 PM

I like Louie.

Can't wait for Dexter season 6. I bet Lumen is back/never left.

Two and a Half Men makes me laugh

Naitz 02-24-2011 07:13 PM

Finished season 3 of Breaking Bad now. Really good stuff.
The acting isn't that good though, and there are some logically doubtful things going on.
(The story with the lab assistant in particular, why would he have hired Heisenberg in the first place if he just wants to kill him off anyways? The assistant is obviously capable enough to run the lab. And even if Heisenberg has cancer, why not just face him with the situation, but further complicate the situation, which [obviously] leads to more problems?)

Nun Stampede! 02-24-2011 07:47 PM

Louie is awesome because it's not the best show on TV, but it doesn't try to be either. It's just funny and pretty much avoids any TV cliches by not even worrying about being completely cohesive at all times.

Community is pretty hilarious.

About a year ago, I would've said that Dexter and Breaking Bad are two of my favorite shows. Breaking Bad has gotten BETTER since that point, and Dexter has gone down hill.

Better off Ted is okay, but not good enough to replace Arrested Development. (same writers, similar sense of humor, except that the Bluth Family is essentially replaced by a power-hungry, identity stealing workplace).

Nun Stampede! 02-24-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaitsabesWinklersson (Post 3687702)
Finished season 3 of Breaking Bad now. Really good stuff.
The acting isn't that good though, and there are some logically doubtful things going on.
(The story with the lab assistant in particular, why would he have hired Heisenberg in the first place if he just wants to kill him off anyways? The assistant is obviously capable enough to run the lab. And even if Heisenberg has cancer, why not just face him with the situation, but further complicate the situation, which [obviously] leads to more problems?)

Not trying to be a dick, but you really need to rewatch the 3rd season. I just rewatched it, and a lot of that shit is left unsaid. There is some phenomenal acting in that show. Some characters aren't done as well as others, but Bryan Cranston is great in that show. Skyler is a cunt, and makes you hate her, which means she is doing a good job. The only real "bad acting" i can think of is maybe Skylers sister, and Hank at times, but Hank is good at other times. Their son is ACTUALLY handicapped. If that is your gripe, it is with the casting, not the acting.

The storyline clarifies like 100 times that the assistant is not capable of taking over the lab. I have no fucking clue where you got this. Up until their last cook, the assistant is asking technical questions about the process, and Walt even says that he is trying to be as vague as possible so that he can save himself some time. Either you are unobservant as fuck or surely you know how easy it is to 100% pure methamphetamine. Would you care to share your method? The plot is that the chicken headpin nigga wants to get the method from Walt before he kills him, but Walt is too smart and knows exactly what is going on. How do you even manage to miss this?

Also, way to spoil the entire season for everyone with dumb comments. I just had to respond because you're missing the entire point of the season and making it sound like it's the shows fault.

Monsieur Lebeauxxx 02-24-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nun Stampede! (Post 3687727)
Better off Ted is okay, but not good enough to replace Arrested Development. (same writers, similar sense of humor, except that the Bluth Family is essentially replaced by a power-hungry, identity stealing workplace).

wat. thought the dude who made it was the guy behind andy richter controls the universe? i've heard it compared to AD but hurwitz ain't got shit to do wit it. not that it matters really... i think i bought season 1 because it was dirt cheap but i haven't watched it yet.

also, naitsabes trying to be a know it all as per usual...

right now i'm making my way through Mr. Show and Spaced. two thumbs up so far. oh yeah, and rewatched Andy Barker PI with the commentary. goddamn was that a great show.