SMNnews Forums

SMNnews Forums (http://forums.smnnews.com/index.php)
-   Dysrhythmia (http://forums.smnnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Dysrhythmia Tab - Kevin Hufnagel's Style? (http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=173617)

KicknGuitar 12-01-2007 04:23 AM

Dysrhythmia Tab - Kevin Hufnagel's Style?

If there is already a thread for this, my apologies and feel free to redirect me to it.

Is there any sort of interview or analyzation of Hufnagel's guitar style? I've begun to learn "And Just Go" by ear, but it's been mostly the lead melodies and not his funky chords. I really am finding it a bitch to figure them out. I have a few ideas as to what notes might be in them, but I have yet to hit the nail on it's head.

It's been really fun figuring this song out, but these chords are getting to me. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

under your coma 12-04-2007 03:24 PM

hi, kevin here.. "and just go" is one of the few dysrhythmia songs in standard "A-440" tuning. which part of the song are you having trouble with? i don't have any of my guitar parts written or tabed out.. but this probably wouldn't be a bad idea as i tend to forget things in our older songs as we keep writing and playing new ones...

KicknGuitar 12-04-2007 09:04 PM

Haha, Thanks Kevin.
I don't know if you'd want me to post it, but have the song tabbed out (quite sporadical).

Some areas of confusion would be anywhere you seem to be playing more than one note at a time:
Edit- My friend informed me that the beginning is the bass, and you don't come in until after (your guitar swells).
The very first chord, I think is close to one of the following (a D chord?),
Code:

E|---------
B|---------
G|-7--7--7-
D|-0--0--0-
A|-9--5----
E|-7--7--7-

0:29 - The intro's volume swells
1:25 - Sounds like you keep some notes throughout the chord progression. possibly E? But it's that whole riff there where you guys get heavier and add that BG hiss
Edit: Playing around with the chords today, I think it's something more along the lines of,
Code:

|-0-------|-0--------|
|-0-------|-5--------|
|-4-------|-4--------|
|-2-------|-2--------|
|---------|----------|
|---------|----------|

Which keeps similar structure through out the riff.
Instead of,
Code:

|-0-------|-0--------|
|-3-------|-5--------|
|-4-------|-4--------|
|---------|----------|
|-2-------|-2--------|
|-0-------|-0--------|

3:36 - I believe it's octaves, very fast here, almost trem picked, I'd guess.

I've found my ear probably needs a few more years to catch up to even triad inversions (My Musicianship class has all of a sudden become a pain with hearing triad inversions)

And I think that's it (I'm a little surprised it isn't more, could have sworn I didn't figure out that much).

Forgetting? I thought that was called improv and keeping the songs "new" by changing things around. Haha. Thanks for responding,

gore_ridden 12-07-2007 10:31 AM

dork

Manslaughter 12-12-2007 04:35 PM

Tuning

Kevin, What alt. tunings do you like to use? Michael Hedges Stuff?

under your coma 12-13-2007 11:04 PM

those chords were a little off so here are the main chords in the beginning part of the song that keep building, and then the quiter part after it before it kicks in to the more riff-y stuff.

BASIC CHORS PROGRESSION FOR BEGINNING BUILD UP SECTION:

|--------------|--------------|
|--------------|--------------|
|-----7-------|-----9--------|
|-----5-------|-----5--------|
|-----7-------|-----7--------|
|-0-----------|-0--------------|

|---------------------------10-----------------------|
|------8----------------------------8----------------|
|-----------11---------------------------11---------|
|------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------9--------------------------------|
|-0---------------------------------------------------I

|----2-----I-0----------I---0---I----0--------I--------I------------------------|
|----0-----I---------2--I---3---I--------3----I--------I------0----------------|
|----4-----I---------4--I---0---I--------------I--------I-2----------2---------|
|----5-----I---------5--I--------I--------------I--4----I-------------------4---|
|-----------I------------I---------I-------------I---------I-----------------------|
|-----------I------------I---------I-------------I---------I-----------------------|

QUIETER COME-DOWN BROKEN CHORDS PART:

|------------------10----------------I-------------------7----------------I----------------0------------------I-------------------0------------------|
|------------14----------14----------I-------------10---------10---------I-----------5------------5----------I------------6---------6------------|
|-------11---------------------11----I---------9---------------------9----I------7-------------------7-------I-------7---------------------7-----|
|--12--------------------------------I---10-------------------------------I--4-------------------------------I--3---------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------I------------------------------------I---------------------------------I-------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------I------------------------------------I---------------------------------I-------------------------------------|

under your coma 12-13-2007 11:12 PM

as for alternate tunings.. pretty much all the ones i use are ones i come up with. this was inspired by michael hedges but i don't think i use any of his tunings in our stuff. i won't give them all away :), but here's the one i used for "annihilation I" and "II"
low to high: Bb F Bb F C F

Manslaughter 12-14-2007 07:54 PM

thanks a lot, love those songs.

Quarkcombination 01-06-2008 02:13 AM

any chance you could tell us the tuning for earthquake too, please? Thats songs great

under your coma 01-13-2008 07:49 PM

Earthquake tuning is:
low to high - C#, F, A#, G, G#, D#

Chaosmongirl 01-14-2008 12:15 AM

At last! You've revealed two of your secret tunings! Yay! Many thanks for the "And Just Go" tabs as well!

Manslaughter 01-15-2008 02:40 AM

yet another reason dysrhythmia is my favorite band. Time to tune my strat, thanks for the post

Belon 04-25-2008 10:35 AM

Hi Kevin... can you teach me the chords of the Appeared at First, in the 00:55 part... there so much beautiful effects and i don´t know what is bass or guitar.
I´m a bass player but i´m like too play guitar too... Your stuffs are so amazing and in a future, i want make a band cover of yours... So if you help me in this part, i´m will thank you a lot! lol

KicknGuitar 05-02-2008 06:54 PM

Thanks mate. Looks like I'm done with this one.

under your coma 05-13-2008 10:43 AM

"Appeared at First" is a song we'll be re-learning for the upcoming tour. so maybe I'll have time to tab some of it out for you soon since I need to review it as well!

Belon 05-26-2008 07:30 AM

Hum... ok Kevin!!! I try to make the bassline of the song before the "part"...
(put the tab in a text file to see better)

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------5--------------------------------------------------4-------------------------------------------5--|
|-------------------------6-------------------------------------------6-----------------------5-------------------------6-------------------------|
|-----333-333-333-----333-333-333-----333-333-333-------333-333-333---------333-333-333-----333-333-333------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------6---------------------------------------------|
|----3--3--3--3--3-1111---333-333-333-----444-444-444-333-333-333-333-|

|---------------------------------------------0--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------1----------------------------9--------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8-----------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------4----------------------7--------------------4---------------------------------------------------4-------------------7-|
|---000-000-000------000-000-000-----000-000-000-----000-000-000------------000-000-000----000-000-000---|

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------4444-2-0-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----3--3--5--6------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------4---------7--333333333333---|
|---------------------------------------000-000-000----000-000-000-----111111111111---|

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----1~-----------------------------------------------------------13-/---------------------|
|----------------3-----3------3------3-3---5-5------6-6------12/------9---9----------|
|-------2~-----------------------00--------------------------------------------------------|
|------------22---22----22----------------------------------------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|--------------------------------------------------------------------10--10--10--10---------------------------------------0--0--0-----|
|--------------------------------------------------------------8-7~---9----9----9----9-------------------------------------5--5--5----|
|--------7-----7-------7-7-7---8-8----9-------8-8-8-8-------------------------------------------------------------------7------7----|
|----------7-----7------------------------------------------------------------------------------6/4--------6/1-0-------------------------|
|----55----5-----5--------------------------------------------------------------------4-4-------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0-0---------------------------------|

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------13/------8-----|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------11/9------11---------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------11~---9------9/------11/9-----------|
|----8p6-6-6-----6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6---6h8~------------- 9~--7-----9------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------5/7~---------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------------------9-9-9-----------------------------------------------------|

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------12p10---14h15---15h16-----------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------------17p15---15h13------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------0~---------------14-----17(the voice effectlol)-------------------------------------|
|-------------5~--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------3~/13-12-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------3~/9---4~/10--------------|

Belon 06-09-2008 01:00 PM

No news?

PS: Hey, Ten years of Dysrhythmia! Congratulations

Belon 07-30-2008 08:59 PM

No news? ( part II - the return lol )