SMNnews Forums

SMNnews Forums (http://forums.smnnews.com/index.php)
-   Musician Central (http://forums.smnnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=274)
-   -   Harmonizing minor scales (http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=246737)

Alejandro4891 06-02-2011 09:11 PM

Harmonizing minor scales

I know that the formula for harmonizing a scale is I ii iii IV V vi viidim but how do you harmonize natural minor, harmonic minor and melodic minor scales?

GrindOverMatter 06-03-2011 07:00 AM

b3 b6 and maj7 for harmonic minor

b3 and maj7 for melodic minor

b3, b6, b7 for natural

answer your question?

el hijo del justino 06-03-2011 07:26 PM

I think he's asking for the Roman numeral analysis of the minor scales. If that's the case, you'd analyze each scale like this:

Natural minor: i - ii dim. - III - iv - v - VI - VII

Harmonic minor (raised 7th): i - ii dim. - III+ - iv - V - VI - (nat.) vii dim.

Melodic minor (raised 6th & 7th): i - ii - III+ - iv - V - (nat.) vi dim. - (nat.) vii dim.

Make sense? Check online for analysis charts, too. It'll help you visualize and memorize the harmony patterns.

Alejandro4891 06-03-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el hijo del justino (Post 3728209)
I think he's asking for the Roman numeral analysis of the minor scales. If that's the case, you'd analyze each scale like this:

Natural minor: i - ii dim. - III - iv - v - VI - VII

Harmonic minor (raised 7th): i - ii dim. - III+ - iv - V - VI - (nat.) vii dim.

Melodic minor (raised 6th & 7th): i - ii - III+ - iv - V - (nat.) vi dim. - (nat.) vii dim.

Make sense? Check online for analysis charts, too. It'll help you visualize and memorize the harmony patterns.

that's what i was looking for, thanks.

GrindOverMatter 06-03-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alejandro4891 (Post 3728241)
that's what i was looking for, thanks.

oh,

shoulda just stacked the thrids bro

GrindOverMatter 06-03-2011 10:54 PM

lol, this thread just gave me a terrible flashback of learning all the chord scales from major and melodic minor in every inversion in mick goodrick cycles 2 through 7 during 2nd year uni---fuck that sucked

Alejandro4891 06-04-2011 12:44 AM

yeah, right now i have to dedicate myself to learning a shitload of theory, i know a decent amount, but to get back into my school's music program i need to be more advanced.

rippedflesh89 06-05-2011 02:08 AM

if you do it the way classical musicians used to, then minor = a combination of harmonic, melodic and natural minor... for example... harmonize this way:

i - ii dim - III - iv - V - VI - vii dim

-the V is "technically" from the harmonic minor scale
-the III is "technically" from the natural minor scale

but the V needs a raised third (ie raised 7 scale degree) to become a dominant chord... and if we used a raised 7 for the III chord, we would actually have a III+ chord, which contains the leading tone but has no function, therefore it would not be a good chord to use in a classical progression...

the most common way that hungarian minor came about was the use of augmented 6th chords... it was originally used as an alternate pre-dominant chord... the augmented 6th interval creates a raised 4th in the harmonic minor scale resulting in hungarian minor/double harmonic minor...

as for melodic minor, this is almost always the scale they used over these progressions (actually melodic minor ascending, natural minor descending) to avoid the augmented second interval created by the raised 7th....

just some classical theory, the other posts on in this thread demonstrate a modal approach to different minor keys, but this "utility" minor is actually how composers used minor for many years

ghto333 06-01-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrindOverMatter (Post 3727919)
b3 b6 and maj7 for harmonic minor

b3 and maj7 for melodic minor

b3, b6, b7 for natural

answer your question?

Wow that answer to your question is really good and accurate because i was also go through the same scale issue but after that i read the post my problem is solved..Thanks

GUITAR SHREDDER 06-02-2013 08:24 PM

try a zoom 505 dude!

Grindhead Records 06-03-2013 02:16 AM

Fucking realised that only playing guitar makes me feel really dumb...

GUITAR SHREDDER 06-04-2013 04:31 PM

PLAYING GUITAR IS FUN!
ITS LIKE SUCKING A GUYS DICK!
JUSY ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

mycomics007 11-25-2018 02:03 AM

Re: Harmonizing minor scales

lol, this string just gave me a horrendous flashback of taking in all the harmony scales from a major and melodic minor in each reversal in mick Goodrick pushes 2 through 7 amid second-year uni - screw that sucked