SMNnews Forums

SMNnews Forums (http://forums.smnnews.com/index.php)
-   Spawn of Possession (http://forums.smnnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   New Drummer (http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=182394)

bryzz 05-10-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FecalFamine (Post 2751058)
YES!!! just don't sell out! PLEASE GOD NO

sell out? hehe :O i have never heard of a death metal band doing that, i dont think thats even possible without changing the style completly.

Fractal_Mortality 05-11-2008 12:17 AM

Been paying attention to Cryptopsy lately, Jonas?

bryzz 05-11-2008 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fractal_Mortality (Post 2773293)
Been paying attention to Cryptopsy lately, Jonas?

no i havent, but i checked them out on myspace now, and i listened to their latest song and compared it to the older ones, and i found nothing in it that sounds even slightly commercial. to me anyway.
maybe the other songs on the new album is different from that one?

sell out for me is when a band change their style so it can be accepted on big commercial radiostations, mtv, and other mainstream media.

if a DM-Band wants to sell out, they have to remove certain elements from the music and add other stuff instead, that can appeal to the masses. like catchy choruses, maybe some clean vocals, and the riffs and arrangements should be less complicated, catchy memorable melodies is a way to go also. i think slipknot is a pretty good example how a DM Band could sound like if they wanted to sell out.

cl8on 05-11-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryzz
i think slipknot is a pretty good example how a DM Band could sound like if they wanted to sell out.

Yeah, Aborted did that a couple of years back.

bryzz 05-11-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl8on (Post 2773538)
Yeah, Aborted did that a couple of years back.

okey, i dont know anything about aborted, only heard one or two songs years ago. but if they tried to sell out they didnt succeed hehe.

Ronnie/Pieces 05-11-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryzz (Post 2773450)
Sell out for me is when a band change their style so it can be accepted on big commercial radiostations, mtv, and other mainstream media.

Great examples of this is In Flames and Satyricon.

foreign10 05-11-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

if a DM-Band wants to sell out, they have to remove certain elements from the music and add other stuff instead, that can appeal to the masses. like catchy choruses, maybe some clean vocals, and the riffs and arrangements should be less complicated, catchy memorable melodies is a way to go also. i think slipknot is a pretty good example how a DM Band could sound like if they wanted to sell out.

well the first time I heard the "Swarm of the Formless" opening riff I thought it was super catchy! it stuck with me right away.same for the chorus of "Spawn of Possession". "EVIL EVIL!" haha. not trying to make you out to be wrong or anything, since it's all just about opinions. but I don't think there's anything wrong with catchy simple riffs in death metal.

bryzz 05-11-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreign10 (Post 2773936)
well the first time I heard the "Swarm of the Formless" opening riff I thought it was super catchy! it stuck with me right away.same for the chorus of "Spawn of Possession". "EVIL EVIL!" haha. not trying to make you out to be wrong or anything, since it's all just about opinions. but I don't think there's anything wrong with catchy simple riffs in death metal.

hehe yes of course its nothing wrong with catchy riffs. i never said that. i always try to put some catchy stuff in the songs.

Fractal_Mortality 05-11-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

no i havent, but i checked them out on myspace now, and i listened to their latest song and compared it to the older ones, and i found nothing in it that sounds even slightly commercial. to me anyway.
maybe the other songs on the new album is different from that one?

Did you listen to the song "Bemoan the Martyr" at all? It added a lot of elements that would indicate a band trying to gain more commercial appeal: the rather cliche spoken word sample, the metalcore vocals and guitarwork, the addition of very commercialized clean vocals... It all screamed as a push for accessibility to me. But I realize that is just one song.

Honestly though, I just think the biggest thing against the band is loss of members. Their songwriting abilities don't seem anyway near what they used to be.

bryzz 05-12-2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fractal_Mortality (Post 2774248)
Did you listen to the song "Bemoan the Martyr" at all? It added a lot of elements that would indicate a band trying to gain more commercial appeal: the rather cliche spoken word sample, the metalcore vocals and guitarwork, the addition of very commercialized clean vocals... It all screamed as a push for accessibility to me. But I realize that is just one song.

Honestly though, I just think the biggest thing against the band is loss of members. Their songwriting abilities don't seem anyway near what they used to be.

no i didnt find that song on myspace, i was listening to "worship your demons" and compared that one to the others. but i downloaded the song you mentioned now, and i understand what you mean. only the future can tell if they going to explore that path any further.

okey, i really dont know, because i dont listen to them. but if they had several or better songwriters before i guess some elements are gone now or just different.
they probaly get some new fans which like the new stuff better than the old. its always like that.

Logic 05-14-2008 05:34 AM

BRYZZ KNOWS THE TRUTH

Logic 05-14-2008 05:35 AM

Dude seriously, if you'd make a religion, I'd join

Cloaca 05-14-2008 08:38 AM

Sex: Male
Religion: Bryzzist

- Holding hands
- Minor/major 3rd harmonies
- Playing it the harder way
- Doing it at 310 bpm
- The sound of your name on the wind (as long as it's harmonised, preferably minor/major 3rd)

Dislikes:
- Rondumologists (loonies)
- Repeating things
- Keeping hands still

Ronnie/Pieces 05-14-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaca (Post 2777131)

Bryzzism! :P

crispy 05-14-2008 01:53 PM

I'd join

Cannon 05-15-2008 10:27 AM

OFF ORIGINAL TOPIC :

I will agree with most things written about new Cryptopsy, but I think they've earned the 'benefit of the doubt' to be honest. These guys are truly world class musicians, and are undeniable pioneers of the whole genre death metal. It took YEARS for people to actually realize what they were playing originally and how brutal/kick ass it was. That said, they have certainly abandoned the "as brutal as possible" approach, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear the album in full. Maybe it's blind faith, but hey, I think they deserve a little bit. It may take months and months to absorb the real meaning and appreciate what they were going for, which always make the meaning more satisfying in the end. Also, Canadian/Quebecios metal RULES :emot-LOL:

Tying it back to SoP, I like to think I have a good ear for music, but after 10 listens of Noctambulant I found more and more repeated motifs throughout the songs, a tribute to well-thought out composition.

Djeez 05-15-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannon (Post 2778206)
OFF ORIGINAL TOPIC :

I will agree with most things written about new Cryptopsy, but I think they've earned the 'benefit of the doubt' to be honest. These guys are truly world class musicians, and are undeniable pioneers of the whole genre death metal. It took YEARS for people to actually realize what they were playing originally and how brutal/kick ass it was. That said, they have certainly abandoned the "as brutal as possible" approach, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear the album in full. Maybe it's blind faith, but hey, I think they deserve a little bit. It may take months and months to absorb the real meaning and appreciate what they were going for, which always make the meaning more satisfying in the end. Also, Canadian/Quebecios metal RULES :emot-LOL:

Tying it back to SoP, I like to think I have a good ear for music, but after 10 listens of Noctambulant I found more and more repeated motifs throughout the songs, a tribute to well-thought out composition.

You also have to remember that the BMF, NSF, WS, ATYB and Once Was Not were all written by Jon Levasseur, except one song from OWN, and probably some riffs here and there.So it's just not the same Cryptopsy anymore, and there's nothing to absorb anymore.

philkilla666 05-18-2008 08:28 PM

Well, there is something to absorb, but it appears not many people want to absorb it...

EDIT:

Quote:

- Holding hands
- Doing it at 310 bpm
- The sound of your name on the wind (as long as it's harmonised, preferably minor/major 3rd)

Dislikes:
- Repeating things
- Keeping hands still

:emot-LMAO

Cloaca 05-19-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie/Pieces (Post 2777291)
Bryzzism! :P

"Bryzzlam/Bryzzlamic"? You must admit, it has a nice ring to it!

crispy 05-19-2008 02:52 PM

Hahahahah! Jonas...are you creeped out in the slightest?

Refusal 05-19-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaca (Post 2782802)
"Bryzzlam/Bryzzlamic"? You must admit, it has a nice ring to it!

Bryzzology/Bryzzologist ... could be like a spoof on Scientology. :emot-LOL:

philkilla666 05-19-2008 03:38 PM

When I rejoin the Army, I should put my religious preference as "Bryzzlamist".

If they have any questions I'll just make them listen to Lash.

Ronnie/Pieces 05-20-2008 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philkilla666 (Post 2783058)
When I rejoin the Army, I should put my religious preference as "Bryzzlamist".

If they have any questions I'll just make them listen to Lash.

"Bryzzlashist" ;)

Inertiopus 05-25-2008 04:18 PM

Im gonna tell people from now on I am Bryzzlamic.If they don`t get it well then they are sonically ages behind. :emot-LOL:

bryzz 06-02-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathmetaldoll (Post 2782975)
Hahahahah! Jonas...are you creeped out in the slightest?

haha yes a little bit :P

bryzz 06-02-2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

- Holding hands
- Doing it at 310 bpm

Dislikes:
- Repeating things
- Keeping hands still

höhö, dont know if i would be good as an insane sect leader hehe, im to shy and tired for that i think hehe :S

Cloaca 06-02-2008 10:22 AM

Hey, if it doesn't work out, we can just have a sip of the cyanide punch!

"In the beginning, there was Bryssling......."

See you all on Sunday at the Church Of Deviance.

fkoeils 12-18-2019 11:22 AM

Re: New Drummer

Hooray for Dick! Has he considered changing his name to Jonas Schill?