SMNnews Forums

SMNnews Forums (http://forums.smnnews.com/index.php)
-   Musician Central (http://forums.smnnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=274)
-   -   Cables (http://forums.smnnews.com/showthread.php?t=181660)

untitled 04-03-2008 07:14 AM

Cables
 
I don't know if someone has made this thread before, but oh well.
I'm using mogami right now, looking into evidence audio stuff in the future.
what about you guys?

INCINERATE 04-03-2008 11:55 AM

I've been using Monster cable. I'd like to find the best noise-less cable out there. Anyone have any recommendations?

F0RBIDDEN 04-03-2008 12:05 PM

Honestly I don't think it's worth the price to upgrade to Evidence or Van De Hul cables or any of that bullshit. Once you get past the bargain brand $5 patch cord garbage, you won't be able to tell the difference. I heard a difference when I switched from cheap Rapco cables to George Ls, but that's it. I think your best quality to price ratio cables out there are the Mogami and Canare cables, that's what I would stick with. Personally, I have been using Planet Waves cables for years and they sound fine, no noise and my guitar sounds as good as it ever has. Plus they have the best warranty on earth. Lifetime warranty, if it breaks you just bring it to any guitar store with or without a receipt and they will exchange it for a brand new one. You only have to buy them once.

F0RBIDDEN 04-03-2008 12:09 PM

Scott, here's an interesting link for you to read...

http://www.lavacable.com/myweb/CableSummit4.pdf

Orkestra 04-03-2008 12:19 PM

Dimarzio cables are great and are cymbal proof! The amount of times we've had cables chopped is ridiculous!

Disembodiment 04-03-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN (Post 2728910)
Planet Waves


INCINERATE 04-03-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN (Post 2728913)
Scott, here's an interesting link for you to read...

http://www.lavacable.com/myweb/CableSummit4.pdf

Cool thanks.

Egill 04-03-2008 09:01 PM

I've been using the same damn cable for more than three years (Monster Cable Rock). Quality cable.

http://images.miretail.com/products/.../246626jpg.jpg

underrealm 04-04-2008 11:58 AM

I like Planet Waves cables myself. Quiet and rugged. Really all I need.

Phoncible 04-04-2008 04:57 PM

monsters. they've gone a couple of times, but i just send'em in and get new ones

egdeltar 04-04-2008 07:32 PM

Planet Fucking Waves.

ChAAPY 04-04-2008 07:42 PM

Mogami. Fucking awesome cables. Monsters are really good too.

I'm going to look into these Planet Waves you guys speak of. That warranty sounds awesome.

stabwound 04-04-2008 11:12 PM

Monster, I get them sickly cheap too because of my brother. 50 dollar monsters for like 15-20 bucks. Be sure not to coil them like an asshole, use over/under coiling so they don't get fucked.

stabwound 04-04-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChAAPY (Post 2730731)
I'm going to look into these Planet Waves you guys speak of. That warranty sounds awesome.

Monster has the same lifetime warranty.

untitled 04-04-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stabwound (Post 2730958)
Monster has the same lifetime warranty.

and so does mogami, evidence audio, and all other high quality cables.

lordofblades 04-04-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stabwound (Post 2730956)
Be sure not to coil them like an asshole, use over/under coiling so they don't get fucked.

Could you elaborate on this please? Thanks

F0RBIDDEN 04-04-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untitled (Post 2730974)
and so does mogami, evidence audio, and all other high quality cables.

You can't walk into any guitar store in North America and hand them a broken cable with no receipt and expect a replacement though with an Evidence Audio or Mogami cable... You'd have to mail it off and wait for a replacement. That's what's nice about Planet Waves. If its 15 years old and breaks, you'll have a brand new one that same day because every guitar store on earth has them and they have to honour that warranty.

stabwound 04-04-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofblades (Post 2730988)
Could you elaborate on this please? Thanks

hard to explain without showing someone the technique.

"Over/under cable coiling refers to a method of storing cables that preserves the capacitance and common-mode rejection ratio built in by the manufacturer with a twist in the cable, and the shielding that encases the twisted pairs within. It also keeps knots to a minimum, allows the cable to lie flat when uncoiled, and makes running the cables easier and faster.
The "over/under" name refers to the practice of twisting the cable in one direction to make the first coil, and un-twisting it to make the next, and repeating this until all the cable is neatly coiled. Connecting the ends on the outside of the loops, or tying them in that position, ensures that the ends don't pass through the loops in storage so there are no knots when the cable is laid out."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over/under_cable_coiling

ChAAPY 04-05-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stabwound (Post 2730958)
Monster has the same lifetime warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN (Post 2730994)
You can't walk into any guitar store in North America and hand them a broken cable with no receipt and expect a replacement though with an Evidence Audio or Mogami cable... You'd have to mail it off and wait for a replacement. That's what's nice about Planet Waves. If its 15 years old and breaks, you'll have a brand new one that same day because every guitar store on earth has them and they have to honour that warranty.


nigelwho 04-05-2008 03:56 AM

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php

stabwound 04-05-2008 04:49 AM

You can walk into any guitar shop with a monster and do the same thing. My brother works at a guitar store and replaces them all the time.

Phoncible 04-05-2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN (Post 2730994)
You can't walk into any guitar store in North America and hand them a broken cable with no receipt and expect a replacement though with an Evidence Audio or Mogami cable... You'd have to mail it off and wait for a replacement. That's what's nice about Planet Waves. If its 15 years old and breaks, you'll have a brand new one that same day because every guitar store on earth has them and they have to honour that warranty.

Exept i have to ship it away to Germany or something...

F0RBIDDEN 04-05-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stabwound (Post 2731174)
You can walk into any guitar shop with a monster and do the same thing. My brother works at a guitar store and replaces them all the time.

Yeah I wasn't sure about Monster which is why I didn't mention it in my post.

I've actually heard bad things about Monster cable... I recall a link to an article where they did a blind test between using a coat hanger to transmit the audio signal and Monster cable and everyone preferred the coat hanger.

untitled 04-05-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN (Post 2731268)
I recall a link to an article where they did a blind test between using a coat hanger to transmit the audio signal and Monster cable and everyone preferred the coat hanger.




loll.

F0RBIDDEN 04-05-2008 10:59 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/a...ter-cable-and/

There it is... didn't prefer the coat hangers but couldn't tell the difference at least!

stabwound 04-05-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN (Post 2731268)
I've actually heard bad things about Monster cable... I recall a link to an article where they did a blind test between using a coat hanger to transmit the audio signal and Monster cable and everyone preferred the coat hanger.

I never believe those studies. They were using speaker cables too, not instrument cables (not that it really matters).

"audiophiles can't hear the difference between 128kbps and 320."

"99 cent preamp sounds better than 2,000 dollar preamp"

Most audiophiles must just be delusional, because according to all these studies, they're fucking morons. :emot-LOL:

Ouroboros 04-05-2008 05:56 PM

I buy bulk stock of Mogami balanced XLR wire (100 foot spindle for $60), Neutrik connectors ($3-4 each end) and solder my own cables together. Much cheaper, and as long as you can solder well and wrap it properly, you will likely never have to replace or repair it.

I also make a simple shielded guitar cable with two TS jacks and an XLR cable. Solder the ground (as well as the cold) to the sleeve for the amp end (use only for the amp), and then on the other end (for the instrument), cut it away and prevent it from touching any metal on the connector so it doesn't short. Then connect the hot wire properly to the tip. This cable will not lose any signal when it is longer than 20', and it prevents RF interference.

Ouroboros 04-05-2008 06:04 PM

Oh yeah, put some ferrite beads over the insulation of the hot wire, on both ends, and that will definitely guarantee RF prevention.

label thief 04-05-2008 10:19 PM

i use all gold plated for out front of my amp. just monster and planet waves. planet waves are a tad cheaper.
for shit in the FX Loop.. its whatever. anything lifetime warranty is good. proformance cables are fine with me.

Phoncible 04-07-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN (Post 2731279)
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/a...ter-cable-and/

There it is... didn't prefer the coat hangers but couldn't tell the difference at least!

no reason why a clotheshanger shouldnt be great for that use. then of course with instrument cables there will be longer stretches involved, and durability might have something to do with them choices too..

sure, lots of hifi audio cables is just about gimmicks and voodo crap, but that doesnt mean its not worth spending some extra $ to get decent cables.

Phoncible 04-07-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by label thief (Post 2731769)
i use all gold plated for out front of my amp. just monster and planet waves. planet waves are a tad cheaper.
for shit in the FX Loop.. its whatever. anything lifetime warranty is good. proformance cables are fine with me.

why gold plated for out front of your amp? the thin gold layer doesnt do it all, and wears down with something as frequently moved as an instrument cable!

label thief 04-07-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoncible (Post 2733076)
why gold plated for out front of your amp? the thin gold layer doesnt do it all, and wears down with something as frequently moved as an instrument cable!

i just don't care about cables.

Phoncible 04-07-2008 01:53 PM

just seemed so set on it, hehe

GrindYourMind 04-07-2008 03:36 PM

Mogami. Instrument Cables are ridiculously expensive nowadays. I always feel a little dirty after I spend 40 dollars on one.

Ouroboros 04-07-2008 07:24 PM

Make your own.

A fucking monkey could learn how to solder something basic like a cable.

F0RBIDDEN 04-07-2008 07:51 PM

I can't solder to save my fucking life, no matter how many times I try. I can't figure out how the fuck you hold a soldering iron, a spool of solder, and both wires you are trying to connect all at the same time when you only have 2 hands.

M.Gilbert 04-07-2008 10:52 PM

My thoughts...
Stay away from the cheapest cables. Obviously. Your signal is only as good as the weakest link. The mid-priced good quality cables are all very similar in tone and noise levels. But where they differ mainly is in microphonics and flexibility.
The George-L cables with the solderless connectors are the only mid-priced cables I advise people NOT to use. The solderless connectors are very prone to introducing noise. As well, the George-L cables are very microphonic. Meaning, if you use one as your guitar to amp cable, you can hear when the cable moves around on the ground or drops and hits the ground even a few inches.
My favorite mid-priced cable is Mogami 2524. I prefer to make my own using Nuetrik connectors. This cable is very durable, with good flexibility, and compared to all others in this price range, it performs average or above average in terms of tone quality, and noise. Buying it in bulk, at something like 0.85 cents per foot, with some high quality Nuetrik connectors is the way to go for wiring racks, IMO. Plus, having a rack full of wires that are only the length they need to be helps in noise reduction and cleanliness of wiring.
As far as the high priced, super high quality cables go. There IS a noticeable difference. In this catagory, Evidence Audio cables are my favorite.
I have previously owned the Lyric HG guitar to amp cable and you can actually hear an improvement in tone and noise reduction. It's not drastic, but every little thing adds up in the end. You might notice slightly less high end presence when compared to other mid range cables, but it is a more natural sound, which has slightly more clarity throughout the frequency range. The only reason I do not own or use this particular cable anymore is that it is too stiff. It tends to want to return to it's coiled state which can be very annoying. On the other hand, I do still use the Evidence Audio Siren speaker cables, which work awesome. Once again, you can actually hear a slight improvement in tone with this speaker cable when compared to mid priced cables.
Bottom line, and what I recommend is using something either Mogami 2524 or Canare for guitar to amp. They perform just slightly better than Monster (tone/noise) IMO. If you are just going to use a cable for recording, or in the studio, Evidence Lyric HG is ideal.
Try to use the same cable throughout your system, not having a single cheaper cable anywhere in the chain. And for speaker cable, Evidence Audio Siren's are the way to go. But the Monster speaker cable is very good as well. Do not settle for cheap speaker cables. You might as well use cheap cable throughout if you use cheap speaker cable.

AllP0werToSlaves 04-08-2008 11:56 AM

I've actually been using really high end Ibanez cables, and they sound fantastic.

Ouroboros 04-08-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.Gilbert (Post 2733928)
I have previously owned the Lyric HG guitar to amp cable

Those cables use the ground in a typical XLR cable attached to the sleeve of a TS like I was explaining before. Very easy to make, and there is a big difference in signal and noise reduction compared to the typical hot/cold only 1/4" cable.

Ouroboros 04-08-2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN (Post 2733754)
I can't solder to save my fucking life, no matter how many times I try. I can't figure out how the fuck you hold a soldering iron, a spool of solder, and both wires you are trying to connect all at the same time when you only have 2 hands.

A pair of plyers with the nose angled upwards at the tip. That way you can lay it on your desk, pinch the cable with it and do your soldering. Or, get a soldering station, as they usually have some sort of mount for the wiring.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SMNnews.com: 2002 -