View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #28
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb View Post
So, its me once again... ;)

You said that you didnīt change too much on the guitar tracks with the EQ; but with what settings did you record the guitars then? I mean ,they shouldnīt have too much bass because then they will be in frequency of the bass and the bass drums. Did you turn the bass down on the amp? And the mids all the way up?
Or did you set a low-cut for the guitars?

And at what frequencies did you turn the bass up/down?

I always have a "mumbling" sound, no matter what I do...just seems that the guitars have too much bass even though I turned everything below 150 hz down.

And another problem is bass drum and bass...damn...

Bass was all the way down on the Rectifier. Loud tubes tend to be rumbly...so I did have to cut some bass frequency spikes in the guitar tracks (which tend to happen during palm muting).
I have a tendency to start with the mids and highs cranked, but I'll end up backing it down after searching for a tone for a while. The best way to record an overdriven tube guitar tone is to get it as dry and unaltered by onboard EQ or effects as possible. The "mumbling" might be too much bass or maybe too much gain at the output of one of the devices yo are using. This could be causing some clipping in the signal somewhere.

As far as relative bass frequencies, as well as all ranges, I like to make cuts and boosts at the same frequency on different instruments. For example: I'll cut the bass 100 Hz or so and boost that same frequency on the kick. That way they aren't fighting for the same frequency range. I do this for all instruments that share a range.
Metastasis is offline   Reply With Quote