Thread: New's?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleshless408 View Post
Appreciate the link, now for the 2nd part of my question.
I've never really thought much about doing a technical death metal instructional book or something like that. It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well it would translate into book form. Something like the tapping book Chris did (which I have not seen, only heard about) seems like it would work better cause it's teaching something very specific. A technical death metal book would have to cover a lot of ground. Grinding (trem picking), palm muted 8th notes (or 16th notes depending on how you are counting the time), vibrato, string skipping, sweep picking, basic chug rhythm playing, scales, arpeggios, non-standard chords (breaking out of the power chord box). As well as some form and technique lessons/ideas.
Most of these things have been covered countless times in various instructional formats by so many people. Though maybe never in a specific context of technical brutal death metal. Another thing. As valuable as some books and tablature are, there's a huge difference between learning some notes, and playing them "correctly". There's only so much you can explain in text and tablature in terms or phrasing, or making notes or passages sound right.
I dunno. It's an interesting idea. And I'll give it more thought. I'm just not sure if it's something that will be good for a book format, or if I'm the right guy for the job.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote