View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #37
Ouroboros
Nescient

1 inch off-axis, 2+ inches on axis. Both give different results. Though, I really don't think SPL damage is an issue with this method for a small diaphragm condenser microphone. Don't use a ribbon though. If you decide to use a 57, there's no way SPL's from any instrument on a drum kit could damage that mic.

And yeah, I agree with ChAAPY, I would never personally use more than 10 mics on a kit (and that is absolute maximum). I usually stick to 6 or 8. 2 large diaphragm condensers for overheads, SM57 and a Sennheiser e614 for snare (57 top, 614 side), 1 AKG D112 or an Audio Technica ATM-25 for kick drum, and Sennheiser 421's for accent toms (unless the overheads pick them up well enough). The only case this year where I went over 8 mics is when I had accent mics for 6 toms, two overheads, one snare and the kick.

Although, you can still get really nice drum sounds from just 4 mics, like ChAAPY suggested. One stereo mic, or a mono large diaphragm condenser right over top, then a snare and a kick mic.

The best drum mixes nearly always come from a good source signal. Never resort to "fixing it in the mix". Always try your best to get a great signal at the source, then mixing will become so much easier.

Last edited by Ouroboros; 02-24-2008 at 01:57 PM..
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote