SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
SLIT YOUR GUTZ
SHIT YOUR BUTTS

Rep Power: 0 SLIT YOUR GUTZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Being poor pisses me off

Anyone else in the same boat? I've been living off peanut butter sandwiches for weeks and I'm sick of it. I've never applied for any government benefits, but I'm debating on it now. Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Also it pisses me off how many people I know get tons of cash from the government, then they buy playstation games and shit with it.

I live alone with my girlfriend. I work part-time at a major retailer. She works two jobs and goes to beauty school. I'm starting a graduate program for social psychology in the fall (finally, it took three years of applying).

Our household made under 30,000 last year. This year I expect even less.

Also neither of us have health insurance, so I'm very envious of many of you living in other countries with superior health care.
SLIT YOUR GUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Raad
'sup

I get about $1300/month (although I don't know how this translates to other countries' living standard) in student loans so I pretty much got it made even though I'm not working. I'll be about $53000 in debt after I've taken my master's degree but the way I see it that's future-Raad's problem.

I still whine about being broke though. Being rich would be something wouldn't it?
Raad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
SLIT YOUR GUTZ
SHIT YOUR BUTTS

That's one way I'm doing well. I have my bachelor's and no debt from student loans. Starting my MA in the fall. My girlfriend has 7,000 to pay off on her student loans.

Being rich would be nice. I'm not a gambler, and I don't buy lotto tickets, but if I did ever win. I wouldn't do anything different, except buy more food. I'd still go to my crappy job, and I'd save all that money (for school and a family, etc). It blows my mind how lotto winners blow all their winnings right away and get into massive debt.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Szadou
#GlitterTearsCoterie

Szadou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Erland
tv i tarmen!

30,000? What`s the minimum wage over there again?
Erland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
SeaWeed

does any one know the status of many dm musicians? for example:job, living, money situations. i know for example Josh Gallagher lives with his dad because he cannot get a stable job due to DF's heavy tour schedule..this makes me think, i would probably prefer to have a stable job and live on my own in order to keep my independence and put touring to the minimum.. that's just my opinion

idiot..JOHN Gallagher
SeaWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

If you're desperate try and find a call centre job, preferably an inbound call centre.

It's easy work, most of the time the wage is sufficient and it's relatively stable.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
SeaWeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spew View Post
If you're desperate try and find a call centre job, preferably an inbound call centre.

It's easy work, most of the time the wage is sufficient and it's relatively stable.
at the same time it is the most boring and frustrating because you are ruining peoples lives with the bullshit you are trying to sell haha..i used to do this..might even consider it since i need to pick up a second job :(
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Rottenatomy
IMOCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIT YOUR GUTZ View Post
Our household made under 30,000 last year.
wut
Rottenatomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
x nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
does any one know the status of many dm musicians? for example:job, living, money situations. i know for example Josh Gallagher lives with his dad because he cannot get a stable job due to DF's heavy tour schedule..this makes me think, i would probably prefer to have a stable job and live on my own in order to keep my independence and put touring to the minimum.. that's just my opinion

idiot..JOHN Gallagher

keeping your expenses as low as possible is the only way to survive as a (death metal) musician. i have respect for that!
x nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
at the same time it is the most boring and frustrating because you are ruining peoples lives with the bullshit you are trying to sell haha..i used to do this..might even consider it since i need to pick up a second job :(
Not all the time, sometimes you can do just customer service only jobs.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
SeaWeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spew View Post
Not all the time, sometimes you can do just customer service only jobs.
this is true
Old 04-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Student loans are like the next housing bubble. Tuition costs are insane at this point. That's awesome you aren't in debt as far as student loans are concerned. Not so awesome you have a BA in psychology and are still unemployed. Why did you chose this area of study? Were you aiming to get a job in this field right when you got out or was it case of, "I'm not doing anything productive, so I might as well go to college"?

Not trying to derail your thread, but for anyone here who is in debt in the US, how did that happen? Did you take out loans from private companies or the govt? Almost everyone I know who has gone on to get their doctorate had to take out loans at one point. The only exception were those who went to Yale for law or music in the past decade. Bother are free over there right now. Yes, tuition is FREE if go to the Yale school of music. Anyway, the govt is usually the better option because they have to cap their interest rate at about 7%. Some (most) private companies have higher interest rates and can (and do) raise them arbitrarily all the time. Another good thing about taking a loan out from the govt is that they will forgive you of say, 10 years, of your student loan debt if you end up working a job for the greater good. Sending in an application for FAFSA is also worth doing if you and your girlfriend need assistance. Deadline is June 1st I believe. I'm only mentioning this because you just applied and were accepted to grad school, and I don't think that's going to be cheap. Don't just go to go, go with a plan.

Last edited by ChAAPY; 04-13-2012 at 11:34 AM..
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
Raad
'sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
the govt is usually the better option because they have to cap their interest rate at about 7%.
Ours is around 5%
Raad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
SLIT YOUR GUTZ
SHIT YOUR BUTTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erland View Post
30,000? What`s the minimum wage over there again?
$7.25 in Indiana. Sucks. And since we have some of the highest unemployment rates in the country (President Obama spoke at my old high school twice), most jobs only pay minimum wage. I even had a third shift job over the holidays that paid minimum wage, that was some bullshit.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
SLIT YOUR GUTZ
SHIT YOUR BUTTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
Why did you chose this area of study? Were you aiming to get a job in this field right when you got out or was it case of, "I'm not doing anything productive, so I might as well go to college"?
I did not expect to get a job with a BA, no. I chose to go to college, and I'm the second person in my family to have gotten a degree on the one side of my family. I like psychology, and originally I wanted to become a clinician, but I've decided I like experimental work better. Eventually I'd like to become a professor. My plan was to start a PhD program directly after my undergraduate career, but literally NO ONE ever told me it's damn near impossible to get into grad school, and where I got my undergraduate degree doesn't have a graduate program in my field of study, unfortunately. After three years of unsuccessfully applying to PhD programs, I lowered the bar and applied to MA programs instead. I got accepted into a program, and then I'll pursue my PhD after that. One of the benefits of most grad schools if they will offer a stipend to live off of and wave tuition, but the hard part is getting accepted. It really blindsided me since I've always gotten good grades and performed above my peers, but it seems that isn't nearly enough for a graduate school application. And those applications are hella expensive, which is also sucks. Also, fuck the GRE.

My girlfriend is going to school because of FAFSA, btw. That's why she only owes $7,000.

Last edited by SLIT YOUR GUTZ; 04-13-2012 at 11:38 AM..
Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Hunter Drugs-Hendrix
BlackWhereItCounts

Hunter Drugs-Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Have you applied for scholarships? Ask about work-study programs too.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Darcangelo
Nigger trance.

no job.. so I steal and rob
Darcangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Dunlop

call centers can make you feel shitty about yourself if you have moral issues but, if you don't take the job someone else will. It's slowly dying out but, I know people who still clear more than $1000/wk selling shit to people who are too dumb to say no. Some people feel bad about it but, I look at it as natural selection.

And while thinking of shitty call center people I've known I'm reminded of one guy who used to call this old sad woman and just talk to her all the time. Just small talk but, she enjoyed it enough to send him checks all the time. Dude was paying his rent every month by spending an hour or 2 a day with her on the phone. Plus he had his normal job!!! It seems like there is some serious moral issues behind it but, she had the money and just wanted to talk to someone and he provided that service... and it actually started as a sales call long before I had met him. What a weird situation.
Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Necrovore
Kyphonism

Benefits from the government are an acknowledgement (though one that's too limited) that the economy does not provide enough opportunities or enough compensation for people who work. Now, you may not be able to qualify for any kind of program if you're *close* to a $30k annual income, but don't hesitate to find out. The job market is artificially depressed right now, and that's not the fault of the vast majority of people out there.

And yeah, of course it's bullshit when you see people get government money and blow it on video games and the like. Congratulations on going into a social psych program, I have a number of friends in that field.
Necrovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
Mr-Shredz
Death>Fucking>Metal

Rep Power: 5 Mr-Shredz will become famous soon enoughMr-Shredz will become famous soon enough
Call centers aren't as bad as people think, depends for what campaign you work for. I work in a call centre and its chilled as fuck, all I do is tell people how to set up their digi-boxes and I spent most of the day posting retarded shit here, reading band interviews and playing on-line games. Definitely the most chilled out job I've ever had, and it pays well too.

On the thread subject I do live of cheese and ham sandwiches everyday to pay for my band's expenses and the flat deposit for me and my gf's flat.

Also I owe 14k to the student loan ppl. And the BSC degree I got has gotten me nowhere so far. No point getting depressing on shit tbh, just take life as it comes. Any job is a good job these days really.

Last edited by Mr-Shredz; 04-13-2012 at 02:57 PM..
Mr-Shredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 9 FreshFlesh has a spectacular aura aboutFreshFlesh has a spectacular aura about
FreshFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #24
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIT YOUR GUTZ View Post
Anyone else in the same boat? I've been living off peanut butter sandwiches for weeks and I'm sick of it.

I live alone with my girlfriend.

I feel ya, was my situation for 2 years+, ramen & eggs were about all we ate.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
cry0fth3carr0ts
boognish

Rep Power: 13 cry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura aboutcry0fth3carr0ts has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Drugs-Hendrix View Post
troof
cry0fth3carr0ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Rep Power: 6 sara will become famous soon enoughsara will become famous soon enough
i was livin of pb&j sammiches and oatmeal creme pies for a while when i lived in memphis. eventually i had to move back home. it's all good though, i'm finishing school now.

still broke though

gotta hustle fo dat dope money
sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Rep Power: 6 sara will become famous soon enoughsara will become famous soon enough
oh, apply for foodstamps... you'd be able to get it, especially if your combined income was that.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
GrindYourMind
Jedi Master

I'm dirt poor.
GrindYourMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

or, you and your gf could have a baby and then you could get assistance from HUD.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #30
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

OHH YOU LIVE IN THE UK. IDK THEN.