SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Scion Rock Fest 2012 (in Tampa this year)

I think it gets better every year. Still not going as it's the same weekend of Chaos, but Repulsion, Sleep, Merzbow. Cellgraft and Psychic TV all on the same line-up is pretty sweet and unlikely, and I love unlikely line-ups.

Quote:
A portion of the lineup has been announced for Scion Rock Fest 2012, scheduled to take place on Saturday, June 2nd at the Ritz Theater in Tampa, FL. The bands announced thus far are as follows:

Sleep
Repulsion
Merzbow
Church of Misery
Psychic TV
Oxbow
Decapitated
Terror
Cerebral Ballzy
All Pigs Must Die
Ides of Gemini
Cellgraft

The remainder of the lineup will be announced soon, and ticket RSVP goes live on Friday at 12pm PST.

EDIT: Also, I think I see Suffocation and Saint Vitus on the flyer with their names crossed out, meaning they will be announced. I don't know Saint Vitus could play because they're playing in Austin that night, but that looks like them in between Repulsion and Merzbow. Anybody got any other ideas who the mystery bands are?

Last edited by disGUSt(tx); 04-17-2012 at 08:31 PM..
disGUSt(tx) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
modern death
Hails

I wager you still wouldn't go if it wasn't during Tejas.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

shit I might go to this ! 7 hour drive but free fuckin fest...
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by modern death View Post
I wager you still wouldn't go if it wasn't during Tejas.
Considering I couldn't go to MDF this year, probably not. If it was after July, when I have a lot more money coming in, then yeah I would probably go, even if I have seen most the bands I'd like to see already, they were all so good when I saw them I've been craving a second dose.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Well shit I just found a ride and some dudes to go with, now just need to rsvp some tickets
Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatiano View Post
Well shit I just found a ride and some dudes to go with, now just need to rsvp some tickets
If I remember correctly, you have to go and pick them up directly days before the fest. I could be wrong, though.
DrippingInsanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Rep Power: 6 sara will become famous soon enoughsara will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrippingInsanity View Post
If I remember correctly, you have to go and pick them up directly days before the fest. I could be wrong, though.
find someone who lives there and have them pick it up.
sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 19 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara View Post
find someone who lives there and have them pick it up.
Well, you have to show your I.D. in order to get it.
DrippingInsanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
dolphinsplatter

I'm pretty sure Phobia is playing this too
dolphinsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
entwinedwithsickness
almost human

Anybody know what went down with Scion and Eyehategod? EHG posted on Facebook they're banned from Scion events. They didn't post what happened or why, just that there is a ban in place.
entwinedwithsickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Quote:
ah for real ? well shit if that's the case then there's no way
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Rep Power: 6 sara will become famous soon enoughsara will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Well, you have to show your I.D. in order to get it.
okay, well if you have to do that, isn't it usually only when you reserve or have will call tickets? in order to pick your ticket up.

you can get the tickets at various places right? so someone could go get "them" a ticket and give it to you. it wouldn't have your name on it.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinsplatter View Post
I'm pretty sure Phobia is playing this too
I give -999999000202921 fucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwinedwithsickness View Post
Anybody know what went down with Scion and Eyehategod? EHG posted on Facebook they're banned from Scion events. They didn't post what happened or why, just that there is a ban in place.
It couldn't be the same story about them doing too much heroin to play, and then stealing other bands equipment, and then taking an hour to set up, and then playing for an extra hour, while Mike Williams curls up in a ball half the time on the floor, and then tell the promoter they demand $2000 more than what was agreed to? Cause these are all things they do. Just sayin', whatever they're banned for, it's NOT gonna surprise me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara View Post
okay, well if you have to do that, isn't it usually only when you reserve or have will call tickets? in order to pick your ticket up.

you can get the tickets at various places right? so someone could go get "them" a ticket and give it to you. it wouldn't have your name on it.
This doesn't work like other fests, because it's free although it's something people would be more than likely to pay for. It's not will call, because you're not paying for a ticket, you're RSVPing. I would imagine you only have to come in a day early, but they just don't want people RSVPing tickets for no reason and not showing up. I'm pretty sure you RSVP online and present your DL to show you RSVP'd.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
entwinedwithsickness
almost human

Quote:
Originally Posted by disGUSt(tx) View Post

It couldn't be the same story about them doing too much heroin to play, and then stealing other bands equipment, and then taking an hour to set up, and then playing for an extra hour, while Mike Williams curls up in a ball half the time on the floor, and then tell the promoter they demand $2000 more than what was agreed to? Cause these are all things they do. Just sayin', whatever they're banned for, it's NOT gonna surprise me.
Well they banned Nachtmystium over some stupid bullshit so I assumed its the same. My first thought was drug related and their fault or something very dumb, like the heads at Scion finally found out Eyehategod have a song called White Nigger.
entwinedwithsickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Well I wonder what they're gonna do when they find out Phobia endorses wife-beating. I still think it's related to EHG's pure idiocy, I just can't imagine they got screwed over for once instead of screwing their fans, promoter, and bands they share the stage with. I don't know what the deal is with Nachtmystium but they suck anyways. Maybe they're realising all these bands are horrible and even if EHG does have some good songs, they're fest-whores these days and not worth half the hassle and money for them to play?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #16
sara
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Quote:
This doesn't work like other fests, because it's free although it's something people would be more than likely to pay for. It's not will call, because you're not paying for a ticket, you're RSVPing. I would imagine you only have to come in a day early, but they just don't want people RSVPing tickets for no reason and not showing up. I'm pretty sure you RSVP online and present your DL to show you RSVP'd.
oh okay.

wellll nvm then.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
RottingBeercan
littered

Nachtmystium was for some release on a supposed racist/white power label a long time ago. Sucks about EHG but nobody should ever feel safe with those guys in the same room. Looking forward to seeing them for the 3rd time regardless
RottingBeercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 9 FreshFlesh has a spectacular aura aboutFreshFlesh has a spectacular aura about
Full lineup
FreshFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
Narcomaniac

The idea of a certain portion of Down's fanbase possibly getting stuck listening to Merzbow makes me very happy.
Narcomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Hunter Drugs-Hendrix
BlackWhereItCounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcomaniac View Post
The idea of a certain portion of Down's fanbase possibly getting stuck listening to Merzbow makes me very happy.

haha same goes for Psy TV...
Hunter Drugs-Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #21
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

WOW, well I care about NONE of those additions, at least not anymore, although I don't know what Exodus is like nowadays, might be alright. Looks like they announced all the good bands in the first round. Down? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcomaniac View Post
LOL.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #22
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

past 3 years' lineups have been wayy better than this

i'd still looooove to see Sleep, Repulsed, Suffocation, Saint Vitus and Phobia though.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
SiegeEngine
TAFKA tck!

Pretty cool that Sleep, St. Vitus, and Church of Misery are playing this. Suffocation and Origin would be cool to see too. How did Scion get good at picking bands for metal fests?
SiegeEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
Schwenger
Administrator

Rep Power: 10 Schwenger will become famous soon enoughSchwenger will become famous soon enough
lol, talk about dropping the ball. Last years was pretty cool/decent. This is just bad.

Cellgraft is fucking sick though, cool they'll get some exposure. Reminds me of Assuck in a lot of ways.
Schwenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
FreshFlesh
LongLiveTheNewFlesh

Rep Power: 9 FreshFlesh has a spectacular aura aboutFreshFlesh has a spectacular aura about
Last years was way better but there is still some cool bands on this one.
FreshFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #26
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Well I wasn't expecting EVERY second round announcement to fucking suck. PTV, Merzbow, Sleep and Repulsion still rule though. They need to do one of these in Texas already, fuck.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #27
Robinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwenger View Post
lol, talk about dropping the ball. Last years was pretty cool/decent. This is just bad.

Cellgraft is fucking sick though, cool they'll get some exposure. Reminds me of Assuck in a lot of ways.
Agreed on all accounts! This year the only bands I can see myself going for is Sleep, Repulsion and maybe Church of Misery and that's about it. And then again Repulsion isn't even the same 'band' anymore these days either..
Robinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #28
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinator View Post
And then again Repulsion isn't even the same 'band' anymore these days either..
WTF are you talking about? There's no new album, they rule live, have had the same line up for years, only recent addition in many years has been Marissa Martinez on second guitar. They were great in 2010 at MDF. I think you're confused. If there's anything they've got going for them, it's that they are the same band playing the same album for years now. I know exactly what to expect.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #29
Robinator

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? There's no new album, they rule live, have had the same line up for years, only recent addition in many years has been Marissa Martinez on second guitar. They were great in 2010 at MDF. I think you're confused. If there's anything they've got going for them, it's that they are the same band playing the same album for years now. I know exactly what to expect.
lol.. I know there's no new album and never has been since Horrified which came out back in '86. But if I recall (and correct me if I'm wrong here) the only original member seems to be Scott Carlson these days, no? And didn't Matt Olivo leave the band at some point to handle other stuff? Not gonna lie though, it would still be cool to see 'em play since I've never had that opportunity but then again I'm not sure it would have the same impact as when they originally had Dave Grave on drums (that dude was a fuckin' beast!).
Robinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #30
disGUSt(tx)
Satanic WarTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinator View Post
lol.. I know there's no new album and never has been since Horrified which came out back in '86. But if I recall (and correct me if I'm wrong here) the only original member seems to be Scott Carlson these days, no? And didn't Matt Olivo leave the band at some point to handle other stuff? Not gonna lie though, it would still be cool to see 'em play since I've never had that opportunity but then again I'm not sure it would have the same impact as when they originally had Dave Grave on drums (that dude was a fuckin' beast!).
Horrified was recorded in '87 and came out in '89, it did not come out in 1986. Dave Grave hasn't been in Repulsion for several years, they've had Col Jones and he's better anyways, one of the best death/grind drummers there is. Scott has been the only original member for years now. I think they're back to Matt Harvey on guitar (as well as Marissa). When I saw them it was Mike Beams on guitar and Col Jones on drums. Over the years, Scott Carlsson rotates members in and out depending on what they are up to, but it's still the same people he rotates. They are all very capable, Repulsion is almost like a family that way it seems.