Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Anomalous

Anomalous Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #91
tenorbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metastasis View Post
I'm not sure what you mean...does your waveform track look like two tracks in one and the waveform itself is only on one side? If so, this means it is a stereo track and needs to be set to mono. You can't pan a stereo track. Just click on the input/output settings button on the channel near the volume/eq settings and set the channel to mono.

The 8th inch to quarter inch shouldn't make a difference in mono/stereo - just unbalanced vs. balanced.
Ok. I did a screen shot of CEP. Screen shot of my soundcard/ mix set up. And an mp3 of my shitty drums and shitty guitar

http://www.sendspace.com/file/geidot

Track 1 in CEP is drums and Track 2 is the guitar signal
tenorbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #92
Metastasis

Okay, so it's just what I though it was. You need to make it a mono track. You see the two grey buttons underneath the record-enable, solo and mute buttons in the track channel settings? The bottom one, REC1, is the one you need to open (it's exactly to the right of the pan setting). When you open this it will give you the option of making the track stereo, or you can pick left channel, or right channel. Since your input is coming through the left channel, pick the left channel.

Cool Edit Pro sees left and right as seperate inputs, you always have to pick a left or right channel when recording a mono track. And don't worry - this doesn't mean you won't be able to pan it, it's just a recording setting. Playback will be in the center and you'll be able to adjust pan.
Metastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #93
tenorbass

I tried go rec1 options and then I chose right and it came thru both headphones. Thanks.
tenorbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 AM   #94
coloredCYANIDE
Derp

Hey guys, I'm new here.

Let me start by saying Cognitive Dissonance was awe-inspiring to say the least, there isn't a death/grind/prog band out there that I've listened to this long without getting tired of it. So Tim/Max/Nate, phenomenal job, keep it up, and I hope you guys find a drummer soon.

I've been reading a lot of stuff here about recording/self producing, seems as though I'm pretty far behind, but I'm getting a ton of ideas. Right now I'm just working with whatever I've got though, until I can afford better stuff.

If any of you guys get a chance could you tell me what you think of my music? Listen to "Illusion" on www.myspace.com/carcinomic.

Keep in mind, this is a fairly low end ibanez guitar through a solid state b-52 halfstack (upgraded to a JSX afterwards), through a PC mic, bass from a practice amp, and a less than good drum machine/samples. Any suggestions besides "get better shit" are appreciated :)
coloredCYANIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:04 AM   #95
Necro Nick
General Gutsaw

Question

I use FL and gp4. I gave dumping a midi of drums from a tab in gp4 into FL a try but got stuck after the import! my piano roll came up with all the velocity and everything I just couldn't get the rest
Necro Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 AM   #96
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro Nick View Post
I use FL and gp4. I gave dumping a midi of drums from a tab in gp4 into FL a try but got stuck after the import! my piano roll came up with all the velocity and everything I just couldn't get the rest
I had this same problem for a bit, check out the last page or 2nd to last page on the DECREPIT BIRTH forum in the FRUITY LOOPS TUTORIAL STICKY thread. FORBIDDEN (Adam) explained it all to me there.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #97
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloredCYANIDE View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here.

Let me start by saying Cognitive Dissonance was awe-inspiring to say the least, there isn't a death/grind/prog band out there that I've listened to this long without getting tired of it. So Tim/Max/Nate, phenomenal job, keep it up, and I hope you guys find a drummer soon.

I've been reading a lot of stuff here about recording/self producing, seems as though I'm pretty far behind, but I'm getting a ton of ideas. Right now I'm just working with whatever I've got though, until I can afford better stuff.

If any of you guys get a chance could you tell me what you think of my music? Listen to "Illusion" on www.myspace.com/carcinomic.

Keep in mind, this is a fairly low end ibanez guitar through a solid state b-52 halfstack (upgraded to a JSX afterwards), through a PC mic, bass from a practice amp, and a less than good drum machine/samples. Any suggestions besides "get better shit" are appreciated :)
Right on, dude. I listened , and I gotta say that the performance of the guitars and bass are really spot on, it's just the drums sound thin and hollow. So, I'm sorry that I have to say this, but get better shit! I recommend Drumkit From Hell Superior for the drums and either a line 6 (compromise) or a finely tuned Rectifier tube amp (ideal) for the guitars.

Oh, and Mic, Mic preamp, and sound card quality is extremely crucial. As is the quality of the instrument itself.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #98
Necro Nick
General Gutsaw

perfection
Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #99
coloredCYANIDE
Derp

Quote:
Right on, dude. I listened , and I gotta say that the performance of the guitars and bass are really spot on, it's just the drums sound thin and hollow. So, I'm sorry that I have to say this, but get better shit! I recommend Drumkit From Hell Superior for the drums and either a line 6 (compromise) or a finely tuned Rectifier tube amp (ideal) for the guitars.

Oh, and Mic, Mic preamp, and sound card quality is extremely crucial. As is the quality of the instrument itself.
Thanks man. Hopefully my scholarship at VCU is still there after last semester, and I'll have some extra money to get some much needed equipment and software. I did pick up a Peavey JSX afterwards though, it sounds so much better than my last amp, and I'm pretty close to getting an Ibanez prestige too, so hopefully things will work out.

The whole CD is here if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5240YCSO
coloredCYANIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #100
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
something like this? http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...Solo-main.html

I want to get one for recording guitars and that's about it. But I'm also wondering if it's going to hurt the sound quality when I'm mixing/mastering my tracks.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #101
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
something like this? http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...Solo-main.html

I want to get one for recording guitars and that's about it. But I'm also wondering if it's going to hurt the sound quality when I'm mixing/mastering my tracks.
That's probably a fine sound card (although internals are probably better, IMO) but the preamp might be sketchy. If you want to use it to record ideas it is fine, in fact I use a similar extrenal soundcard (a Tascam usb external soundcard) to write and record riffs.

Sound cards do affect playback quality, and latency. In addition, a good video card is pretty important when running intense software.

My ideal set up is a stereo class A tube preamp like a Vintech or Avalon going into some kind of analog mixer (not sure yet, we did use a Soundcraft Spirit Digital 328 console for CD) or maybe a FirePod, which would then connect to a high quality internal sound card like An M-Audio Delta - this all ending at a pair of either Adam A7's or Genelec 8030A's (which are probably too small).

Last edited by Metastasis; 06-03-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #102
ChAAPY
it's one louder

I was going to use it to record all my guitar tracks. Go from my guitar to the v-amp, from the v-amp to the firewire then right into the computer (Mac)
Old 06-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #103
Metastasis

I didn't realize it was Firewire. It'll probably work much better than my Tascam usb POS in terms of playback latency. M Audio is a good brand, too.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #104
ontogeny

Recording anomalous was good times.
ontogeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #105
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontogeny View Post
Recording anomalous was good times.
Nate exists!

Yeah, man...we totally need to step up bass production for the full length, the shit on CD is raw as fuck. Still good times, though.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #106
Willith
Banned

Quote:
I recommend Drumkit From Hell Superior for the drums and either a line 6 (compromise) or a finely tuned Rectifier tube amp (ideal) for the guitars.

I've got a line 6, which I believe sounds like shit, that I'd be willing to part with, if the price is right.
Willith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #107
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
I didn't realize it was Firewire. It'll probably work much better than my Tascam usb POS in terms of playback latency. M Audio is a good brand, too.
you have DKFH Superior right? How is it? Easy to work with? I was wondering if it lets you EQ each drum individualy (snare, kick, etc.) cause I've been trieing to do that with EZDrummer in Cubase... can't seem to figure out how. I was going to get EZDrummer with the DKFH Expansion pack but for the price, I might as well just get DKFH Superior.. I know DKFHS uses a lot of RAM (a gig right?) but that won't be a problem for me sine I'll be using it on a brand new Mac.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #108
Metastasis

Quote:
you have DKFH Superior right? How is it? Easy to work with? I was wondering if it lets you EQ each drum individualy (snare, kick, etc.) cause I've been trieing to do that with EZDrummer in Cubase... can't seem to figure out how. I was going to get EZDrummer with the DKFH Expansion pack but for the price, I might as well just get DKFH Superior.. I know DKFHS uses a lot of RAM (a gig right?) but that won't be a problem for me sine I'll be using it on a brand new Mac.
Yeah, Superior takes up quite a bit of hard drive space, too (35 Gig). It does not have EQ (just cut/res-envelope), so I use seperate Wave plug ins to tweak each drum in Cubase. It does allow you to adjust the microphone leakage (which mic pics up which outside sound); it gives it a more natural sound.

To use plug ins, click on the effects button (I think it is a small "e") on the track you want to tweak and it will open a window where you can select an effect.

How are EZdrummers' samples? Do you know if they sound any better than Superior? I also heard it is much more user-friendly.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #109
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
To use plug ins, click on the effects button (I think it is a small "e") on the track you want to tweak and it will open a window where you can select an effect.
I know how to do that, it's putting each the kick/snare/cymbals/etc. into seprate mixing channles that I can't do. So I can adjust the kick without fucking with the rest of the drums.

Quote:
How are EZdrummers' samples? Do you know if they sound any better than Superior? I also heard it is much more user-friendly
EZdrummer is simple shit, very user-friendly and it takes less than a day to get use too. I've never used Superior so I couldn't tell you, but I have read a lot of mixed reviews about that program. Do you have any audio clips or something you've been working on or just messing around with?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #110
Necro Nick
General Gutsaw

fuck ya. i'm sick of my computer speakers. i want a pair of KRK vxt series monitors!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #111
ruonitb

chaapy: you can EQ everything with ez drummer as well, you just have to route everything to a channel. In the mixer of ez drummer you can choose which part of the drumset you want on which track, then you have to configure cubase.

I don´t know which version of cubase you are using, but I´m using cubase sx3 and it does the routing automatically. So maybe you just need to get a newer version of cubase to get rid of that problem. :)
(it´s possible with every version of cubase of course, but you have to do it yourself then ;) ).

I think the samples of ez drummer are the same as in dfh superior...superior just has a shitload more. But with the dfh addon for ez drummer you pretty much got everything you need I think. ;)

Btw, I recorded something two days ago with my toneport ux2 and ez drummer. The mix isn´t finished yet and I don´t use a comressor on the mixdown or anything but I still think the sound is pretty good. The left guitar is not loud enough, kick is too loud and the guitars lack of highs...need to fix that. Any comments on this would be nice. :)

http://www.file-upload.net/download-...02-05.mp3.html
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #112
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb View Post
chaapy: you can EQ everything with ez drummer as well, you just have to route everything to a channel. In the mixer of ez drummer you can choose which part of the drumset you want on which track, then you have to configure cubase.

I don´t know which version of cubase you are using, but I´m using cubase sx3 and it does the routing automatically. So maybe you just need to get a newer version of cubase to get rid of that problem. :)
(it´s possible with every version of cubase of course, but you have to do it yourself then ;) ).

I think the samples of ez drummer are the same as in dfh superior...superior just has a shitload more. But with the dfh addon for ez drummer you pretty much got everything you need I think. ;)

Btw, I recorded something two days ago with my toneport ux2 and ez drummer. The mix isn´t finished yet and I don´t use a comressor on the mixdown or anything but I still think the sound is pretty good. The left guitar is not loud enough, kick is too loud and the guitars lack of highs...need to fix that. Any comments on this would be nice. :)

http://www.file-upload.net/download-...02-05.mp3.html

I have the H20 verison of Cubase SX3. When I bring up EZDrummer is Cubase gives me 8 different channels so to speak. ezdrummer (the whole kit I guess) and then EZ1-EZ8... they all say "Volume" though so I'm clueless to it.

*edit* I think I figured it out. I just open up the mixer in EZDrummer like you said and assign each channel to EZ1-EZ8... still confused on what EZ1-EZ8 even is.

that clip you posted was pretty cool. how did you get it to be "loud" without clipping? that's something I'm always having trouble with.. something to do with your soundcard perhaps?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #113
ruonitb

well, my soundcard is the toneport ux2 (its modeller+soundcard :) ).
I didn´t really have to turn it that much louder...what you here are 4 guitar tracks and I used the steinberg loudness maximizer on them as well as far as i remember. ;)

Yeah, so, you got everything you need...select a track (the first one is for the whole kit, in this one you program the drums with the editor. The other tracks below the first one are for the single parts of the drumset...the first one is bassdrum, second one is kick.
Select a track and on the left side you have the options for eq and insert effects, send effects etc.
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #114
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro Nick View Post
fuck ya. i'm sick of my computer speakers. i want a pair of KRK vxt series monitors!
That would definitely be a step up from computer speaks, but I have heard some mixed things about KRK's, including over-hyped shrillness that leads to quick hearing fatigue and darker mixes. But, for the price, they are pretty good. I'm looking at either a pair of Genelec 8030A's or Adam A7's (which I hear are the best bang for your buck).

And about loudness maximization/mastering I usually use either the LinMB Wave plug in and/or iZotope Ozone.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #115
ChAAPY
it's one louder

sorry to sound like a n00b again, but can anyone tell me the difference between "zero-latency hardware direct monitoring" and "low-latency ASIO software direct monitoring".. I'm thinking of getting that M-Audio Firewire Audiophile but I want ZERO latency when it comes time to record and monitor.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #116
Necro Nick
General Gutsaw

I haven't heard about Genelec 8030A's or Adam A7's but now I'm considering my options!
Old 06-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #117
Metastasis

Quote:
sorry to sound like a n00b again, but can anyone tell me the difference between "zero-latency hardware direct monitoring" and "low-latency ASIO software direct monitoring".. I'm thinking of getting that M-Audio Firewire Audiophile but I want ZERO latency when it comes time to record and monitor.
Well, if you want zero latency, then you need zero latency direct montioring. I've used ASIO and I had to adjust the latency by lowering the buffer setting samples to 512. For Cubase drum programming, you'll need 1028 samples for it to work without dropouts in playback or delays in monitoring. I've never used the M-Audio Firewire sound card, so i can't say if it allows for a high buffer rate, but it probably should.

On a side note, I recently caved in and purchased a Line 6 Podxt and I gotta say that it's a pretty cool little device. It actually acts as an extrenal sound card and has better Latency than my internal (which I need to replace, however, as I'm shopping for a high quality card with zero latency).
Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #118
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Well, if you want zero latency, then you need zero latency direct montioring. I've used ASIO and I had to adjust the latency by lowering the buffer setting samples to 512. For Cubase drum programming, you'll need 1028 samples for it to work without dropouts in playback or delays in monitoring. I've never used the M-Audio Firewire sound card, so i can't say if it allows for a high buffer rate, but it probably should.

On a side note, I recently caved in and purchased a Line 6 Podxt and I gotta say that it's a pretty cool little device. It actually acts as an extrenal sound card and has better Latency than my internal (which I need to replace, however, as I'm shopping for a high quality card with zero latency).
thanks. what kind of card are you thinking about getting?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #119
Metastasis

I'm thinking about the M Audio Delta 1010:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Delta1010/

Which would have stereo outs going to:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A7/

Fuck yeah, I can't wait to have a complete mixing set up. Later I'm going to look into a Vintech class A tube Mic preamp for recording.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #120
ChAAPY
it's one louder

ah the Delta 1010, I've read good things about it. I was reading reviews last night again and this seems like the shit - http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--RMEFIREFACE

I don't have that kind of money to drop on a card, but this thing looks fucking NICE.