SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 116 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 03:47 AM   #16861
intense

Re: what are you listening to?

intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #16862
Skeetsystem
cash/money pronouns

I never got into Nemesis Divina when I first got into 2nd wave BM. When I tried to revisit it I found it more often than not 100% certified cornball music. I decided to give this a try because of how polarizing I remember it being at the time and I find myself enjoying it a lot more than Nemesis. No pretense and gay keyboards (people calling Nemesis "Symphonic" are fucking reaching) to sift through.
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:55 AM   #16863
Works0fheart

Skeet, you okay there bud? Coming down with the Corona or something?
Works0fheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #16864
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 26 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetsystem View Post

I never got into Nemesis Divina when I first got into 2nd wave BM. When I tried to revisit it I found it more often than not 100% certified cornball music. I decided to give this a try because of how polarizing I remember it being at the time and I find myself enjoying it a lot more than Nemesis. No pretense and gay keyboards (people calling Nemesis "Symphonic" are fucking reaching) to sift through.
Satyr is probably the very definition of pretentious in everything he does, but yeah, this album rips and is one of my favourite BM releases period.

Also, that new Esoctrilihum is damn good.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #16865
Skeetsystem
cash/money pronouns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Works0fheart View Post
Skeet, you okay there bud? Coming down with the Corona or something?
another simp who can't come to terms with the fact he got blue pilled by soft ass nemesis divina 🤣🤣
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #16866
ziel

Rebel is definitely the best Satyricon album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtbringer View Post
Satyr is probably the very definition of pretentious in everything he does, but yeah, this album rips and is one of my favourite BM releases period.
Really? Is it in interviews he comes across this way? I haven't read or watched any interviews of him so I have no idea about his actual personality but in terms of music I just respected the fact that he seemed to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Rebel Extravaganza I think was a bit ahead of its time.
ziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #16867
intense

Unique (sadly) track from a side project of Drapsnatt. Very cool atmo black.
intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #16868
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 26 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziel View Post
Really? Is it in interviews he comes across this way? I haven't read or watched any interviews of him so I have no idea about his actual personality but in terms of music I just respected the fact that he seemed to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Rebel Extravaganza I think was a bit ahead of its time.
What I‘ve gathered from his personality over the years reading interviews, following his personal account on Instagram etc., is he’s quite arrogant, full of himself and seems to have an attachment to fame and fortune that appears vain to me. He’s not one to tolerate criticism and is of the opinion that his entire output is amazing. Rockstar allures, basically. He’s a lover of “the good life”, so to speak: fast cars, watches, gourmet foods/wines etc. and he’s a (seemingly quite successful) wine maker as well. However, it’s also apparent he’s quite intelligent and educated, which he shows off at every opportunity. Maybe pretentious wasn’t the right word. Guess I’m fascinated and disgusted with him in equal parts, lol.

EDIT: Regarding the “he does whatever he wants”-bit: I definitely think Satyr made a conscious decision to sell out and pander to the mainstream at one point (namely with the release of “Now, Diabolical”). Now, that certainly qualifies as “doing whatever he wants”, I suppose, but doesn’t bode well for his artistic integrity. Fwiw, I think the only Satyricon record that was complete garbage was the self-titled and find the “Black ‘n Roll”-phase of the band quite enjoyable.

Last edited by Lichtbringer; 05-25-2020 at 03:33 PM..
Old 05-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #16869
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Double-posting to say that new Odraza is fucking amazing! Maybe I’ll finally get into the other record.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #16870
The Duff

What’s wrong with the debut? Questioning whether another polish black metal band is what I need, I agree though what I’ve heard is very good.

Not sure how I feel about the new paradise lost, the first two tracks though is experience like the young guns don’t know. It feels like without the two bonus tracks it leans too heavily toward the goth elements. Do we even get bad productions anymore though? Sounds huge.

Another veteran band that kills it is godthrymm.

No one does disgorge like Devangelic, getting into phlegethon right now but the new one awaits.

Defeated sanity discography, chapters remains as brilliant as I remember it ten years ago.

Finally a big thank you for Slugathor; like discovering Serenadium for the first time after thinking I’d heard everything.
The Duff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #16871
ziel

Quote:
What I?ve gathered from his personality over the years reading interviews, following his personal account on Instagram etc., is he?s quite arrogant, full of himself and seems to have an attachment to fame and fortune that appears vain to me. He?s not one to tolerate criticism and is of the opinion that his entire output is amazing. Rockstar allures, basically. He?s a lover of ?the good life?, so to speak: fast cars, watches, gourmet foods/wines etc. and he?s a (seemingly quite successful) wine maker as well. However, it?s also apparent he?s quite intelligent and educated, which he shows off at every opportunity. Maybe pretentious wasn?t the right word. Guess I?m fascinated and disgusted with him in equal parts, lol.

EDIT: Regarding the ?he does whatever he wants?-bit: I definitely think Satyr made a conscious decision to sell out and pander to the mainstream at one point (namely with the release of ?Now, Diabolical?). Now, that certainly qualifies as ?doing whatever he wants?, I suppose, but doesn?t bode well for his artistic integrity. Fwiw, I think the only Satyricon record that was complete garbage was the self-titled and find the ?Black ?n Roll?-phase of the band quite enjoyable.
Fair enough, didn't know all that!
I definitely did base my "does whatever wants" comment off of that "Black `n Roll" style since I know at the time he was definitely alienating a lot of Satyricon fans and the black metal scene in general by doing so.

Funny enough I enjoy most Satyricon albums myself as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duff View Post
No one does disgorge like Devangelic, getting into phlegethon right now but the new one awaits.
Thankfully the new one doesn't sound like pure Disgorge worship. I think it largely has to do with the new drummer's style. Doesn't have that annoying Ricky style of quarternote hi-hat pulse during the blastbeats and triplet doublebass sections.

Newest album feels more like Putridity (maybe it's just the vocalist, I don't know) than Disgorge but I think they're finding their style. Honestly the first more "stereotypical" brutal dm album I've bought in a while.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #16872
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Quote:
What?s wrong with the debut? Questioning whether another polish black metal band is what I need, I agree though what I?ve heard is very good.
Nothing wrong with it, I‘ve only spun it a couple times and it didn’t grab me, but this new one I immediately found amazing and felt compelled to return to.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:40 PM   #16873
pooptastik
son of cosmos

Quote:

Finally a big thank you for Slugathor; like discovering Serenadium for the first time after thinking I?d heard everything.
Have you checked out Desecresy? If not, you should give it a shot - it's by the main song writer for Slugathor

pooptastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #16874
The Duff

Yes slowly but surely I’m nearing these types of bands.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #16875
ziel

Awesome

Always love for Luc

Last edited by ziel; 05-30-2020 at 03:50 PM..
Old 05-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #16876
Works0fheart

Man, I love Damage Inc, but every time I see those dudes do a Metallica cover the tone just never sounds right. The parts that I feel like it should be heavy and percussive it just sounds rubbery and bouncy. Idk. I don't feel like their sound carries over well for those type of songs.
Works0fheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #16877
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 22 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Works0fheart View Post
Man, I love Damage Inc, but every time I see those dudes do a Metallica cover the tone just never sounds right. The parts that I feel like it should be heavy and percussive it just sounds rubbery and bouncy. Idk. I don't feel like their sound carries over well for those type of songs.
was thinking the same thing. it just sounds so... tame. Metallica at their worst has more balls than that. but i guess it's the nature of DT. everything they do sounds as bland, soulless, and gutless as the average warmup exercise (i.e. 99% of their songs)
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #16878
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Thought it sounded excellent. What bothered me was that no one in the audience was even bobbing their heads...
Old 06-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #16879
agalloch

Agalloch - Not Unlike The Waves
agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #16880
pooptastik
son of cosmos

it's Nile without all the bells and whistles.
pooptastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #16881
ziel

Quote:
Thought it sounded excellent. What bothered me was that no one in the audience was even bobbing their heads...
I liked it a lot too. Was fun to see everyone having a good time and Petrucci shredding that solo. I've always wanted to see him play fast rhythm stuff so this was a pleasant surprise to find.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #16882
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

Not a fan of Kiesel, but what a great vid.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #16883
LucienLaTulipe

Massive space rock / kraut. (A 2020 release) Not 100% satisfied with the vocals but this is really good...
LucienLaTulipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #16884
The Duff

All those amazing death metal albums of the last five years I didn’t spend enough time with - scorched, outer heaven and gorephilia.

Trying to get into early averse Sefira because I adore advent parallax, but they were far more traditional back then I’m ashamed to say lackluster. Will persevere.

Binging on nightbringer and side projects, especially aoratos - each individual in feel although the techniques are the same.

New moloken sounds more like virus than cult of Luna.

Last edited by The Duff; 06-09-2020 at 06:55 AM..
Old 06-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #16885
Octavian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucienLaTulipe View Post

Massive space rock / kraut. (A 2020 release) Not 100% satisfied with the vocals but this is really good...
Youtube algorithms recommended this album several days ago. It was marvelous :)
Octavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #16886
alteredstate

alteredstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #16887
Ander

Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence.

Such an hidden jewel. Love the bass, and songwriting.
Ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #16888
Gab

SILURE
Death metal from France,
between the old school and more obscure genres !

Gab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #16889
Moemers
Flower Travelin

noisy ass death metal with some killer riffs

https://sentientruin.bandcamp.com/al...ancient-plague
Moemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:25 AM   #16890
Lord_Plague

This is pretty sick

https://lykotonon.bandcamp.com/album...eyes-are-alive

featuring members of Wayfarer and Blood Incantation, inspired by the twisted sounds of bands like Oranssi Pazuzu and Blut Aus Nord.
Lord_Plague is offline   Reply With Quote