SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Spawn of Possession

Spawn of Possession Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 12-22-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
foreign10

classical influence?

I'm sure this has been bought up before, but it seems that while Cabinet was more of a death metal album, Noctambulant seems to have death metal moments but A LOT more of a classical influence...with songs like "In My Own Greed" and "Scorched". my question for Bryss is, was this your intention while writing the material for the album...or did it just kinda naturally turn out this way? it would be interesting to see what some other Spawn fans have to say about this as it's a thought that's been on my mind lately.
foreign10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Zeal
Concepting Eras

I read they were influenced by Mozart
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
MarkMacDonald

A few threads down Bryzz said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzz View Post
Shostakovich: I cant say that i heard everything he had done yet, but some masterpieces i have found is the Cello Concerto No. 1 & 2, Violin Concerto No. 1, all Stringquartets, the Symphonys. i still havent heard his Piano Concertos yet, going to buy them soon. A friend told me to keep away from the Ballet Suites hehe, i trust him, he has good taste. soooo keep away.

S.L Weiss: I like everything he has done, he was a Baroque-Genius on the same level as J.S. Bach if you ask me, just buy any CD with his Lute-Sonatas, NAXOS have som exellent recordings with the Lutenist Robert Barto, BIS also have some fine recordings with Jakob Lindeberg, some favorites are: Sonata No. 36 D-Minor, Sonata No 43. A-Minor, Fantasie C-Minor(Lute)D-Minor(guitar), Ciacona (? minor) etc etc etc etc. a lot of his works has been transcribed to guitar, so if you find a good piece on an CD that you like to play, there is a good chance that it exist on Guitar Notes. just google on it, or check with a good music (retail?) store.

If you want to play some cool classical stuff, you should check out some of these dudes (if you dont heard about them already): Leo Brouwer, Augustin Barrios, Manuel Ponce, Brindle, Joaqu√*n Turina, John Dowland, J.S. Bach (Not only the lute suites! the Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin fits extremly good on guitar aswell, and are easy to Transcribe. the Chaconne from the 2nd Partita is the best piece of music i ever heard.

and if you want to hear som really sick stuff hehe, you should listen to Stefan √Ėstersj√∂, he¬īs a classical guitarist specialized on modern stuff. i have one of hes albums: Stefan √Ėstersj√∂ - Impossible Guitar Parts. I saw him play live once, i have never seen or heard anything more sick and twisted played on a guitar since then.

thanks
MarkMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
VORCIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
I read they were influenced by Mozart
i'm not a mozart fan, but i dont hear any influences...

Bach/Baroque however...

SoP is REAL death metal mixed with twisted classical music -> TRUE Melodic Swedish Death Metal.

Not stuff like in flames, dark tranquility, etc... thats powermetal to me (with exception of vocals) too cheezy, predictable, booring...
VORCIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
foreign10

I remember Bryzz posting that Mark, but I already knew he was somewhat influenced by classical music. I just wanted to know if he focused more on writing "classical-like" music mixed with death metal elements for Noctambulant or did it just naturally turn out that way.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
MarkMacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign10 View Post
I remember Bryzz posting that Mark, but I already knew he was somewhat influenced by classical music. I just wanted to know if he focused more on writing "classical-like" music mixed with death metal elements for Noctambulant or did it just naturally turn out that way.
Oh sorry, I just misunderstood what you were asking.
MarkMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Zeal
Concepting Eras

Well, i probably read it from wikipedia or something
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
foreign10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMacDonald View Post
Oh sorry, I just misunderstood what you were asking.
no big deal...it was still fun to read again
Old 12-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
bryzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign10 View Post
I'm sure this has been bought up before, but it seems that while Cabinet was more of a death metal album, Noctambulant seems to have death metal moments but A LOT more of a classical influence...with songs like "In My Own Greed" and "Scorched". my question for Bryss is, was this your intention while writing the material for the album...or did it just kinda naturally turn out this way? it would be interesting to see what some other Spawn fans have to say about this as it's a thought that's been on my mind lately.
its a huge difference between cabinet and noctambulant on the guitars, i was pretty young when i wrote the riffs to songs like dirty priest, inner conflict, spawn of possession, dead & .. etc, only 17-20 years old you know. young and drunk i was totally into monstrosity, cannibal corpse, morbid angel etc. and i had just begun to explore the classical stuff, and i didnt know how to use my new inspirations. hidden in flesh is the last song we wrote for cabinet, and that song was the the first one to contain some classical influences.
as someone already said in this thread, i dont try to write stuff that sounds like bach or anyone else, and absolutley not like mozart! i like mozart, but only as therapy. i think composers like john cage and shostakovich has influenced me more than mozart, beethoven etc.
when i started to write the noctambulant songs, i had almost no death metal influences at all to be honest. i remember i was thinking of liquid turmoils made of material that can not be liquid (mostly wood for some reason). but only in earthly colours, the colours are very important for the direction of the music. and i was thinking of layers of harmonys, each harmony has a its own colour, together they respresent the split emotions we have, and the complexity of it. dont teel me you dont know what im talking about! life isnt fucking easy, and you know that!
i can tell you that each riff or song has its own colour patterns and ornaments, and all of the songs we made are arranged in their colours and the colours they fit to. for an example. inner conflict = grey/black with silver ornamets. spawn of possession = red with gold and black ornaments, in my own greed = blue with white ornamets. schorced = black with some gold. etc etc. you cant mix colours like green and gold only, or red and white. it would sound cheesy or just terrible. black and grey would be boring. black and white is just totallly wrong, because of the big leap between them.
believe it or not, but there is a lot of emotions in the music aswell hehe, for me church of deviance, uncle damfee, schorched. are by far the most depressing stuff i ever wrote.
so, i think life it self has been the biggest influent part to the music, without no doubt. and the bands and composers i grew up with has just given me the ideas and tools how to express it. you know i learned a little bit there and a little bit there, just enough to construct my own language.

cheers
happy new year
/bryzz

Last edited by bryzz; 01-01-2008 at 03:12 AM..
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
Slayerofnarcs
WAT

Very interesting explanation with the colors. I have been listening to your material practically nonstop lately, bryzz.

I agree that Noctambulant is a HUGE leap over Cabinet. The songs each have more of their own individual identity, and I hear more emotion in it.

Although I don't hear the music as colors like you do, I have an idea of what you mean. I tend to associate music and emotions differently. I really enjoyed reading how you compose, though.

Good luck in 2008, and I'm very excited to hear the material you're writing. :)
Slayerofnarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
foreign10

thanks for explaining that bryzz!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #12
foreign10

and yeah I just asked this because I was impressed with the new album...but also a little confused. I could tell some of the music was very classically influenced just in the structures of the song...not that any of them sound like Mozart or any other composer or anything. the leap between Cabinet and Noctambulant is very interesting and I had (and still do have to be honest) a hard time getting into Noctambulant. I love the songs "Lash by Lash", "Scorched", "By a Thousand Deaths Fulfilled", and "Dead & Grotesque" but with the other songs...I didn't know whether to listen to them with a death metal mind frame or a death metal meets classical way of thought. with what you said bryzz, I view Noctambulant in a very different way now!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:42 AM   #13
InertialGrind

That color shit is just a little intense.
InertialGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #14
BZM
desolate

It goes with being a genius. Hendrix experienced the same kind of synthenasia.
BZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:22 AM   #15
Ouroboros
Nescient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZM View Post
Hendrix experienced the same kind of synthenasia.
Are you sure that wasn't the LSD in effect?
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #16
NeoClassicalDeath

I can really recomend Chaconne in D minor by J.S. Bach. It has some really cool chords and other classical stuff that really fit into death metal
NeoClassicalDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
Kal Tadrakyn
Jeg er Norsk!!!

I love lash by lash. The brutallity right after the accoustic break is amazing. But I still think that as far as sheer technicallity and inclusion of classical virtuoso, Necrophagist still takes the cake. A big, smelly, bloody cake. But sometimes they can be too classical. Spawn of Possession is much better at TDM as far as lyrics and brutallity go, and I can't thank you enough Bryzz for your playing on Noctambulant, learning it has added a lot of new skill to my playing and I owe most of the style on my latest works to you. Go kick some more ass man.

Last edited by Kal Tadrakyn; 03-11-2008 at 11:05 AM..
Kal Tadrakyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #18
Kal Tadrakyn
Jeg er Norsk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerofnarcs View Post
Very interesting explanation with the colors. I have been listening to your material practically nonstop lately, bryzz.

I agree that Noctambulant is a HUGE leap over Cabinet. The songs each have more of their own individual identity, and I hear more emotion in it.

Although I don't hear the music as colors like you do, I have an idea of what you mean. I tend to associate music and emotions differently. I really enjoyed reading how you compose, though.

Good luck in 2008, and I'm very excited to hear the material you're writing. :)
Great points. But realy all I wanted to say is I fucking love your avatar. And that's exactly how we (BM musicians) are for the most part. But in my defense I am in a Tech-Death band too, just to keep my sanity. Don't wanna get locked up in Trondheim, do I? One question, is Jonas really the given name of three of your members?

Last edited by Kal Tadrakyn; 03-11-2008 at 11:08 AM..
Kal Tadrakyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #19
Slayerofnarcs
WAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Tadrakyn View Post
Great points. But realy all I wanted to say is I fucking love your avatar. And that's exactly how we (BM musicians) are for the most part. But in my defense I am in a Tech-Death band too, just to keep my sanity. Don't wanna get locked up in Trondheim, do I?
Hahaha thanks. I love BM too. I think it would be hard to take it completely seriously all the time, though. I'd need another band to keep my sanity too. :)
Slayerofnarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #20
bryzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Tadrakyn View Post
I love lash by lash. The brutallity right after the accoustic break is amazing. But I still think that as far as sheer technicallity and inclusion of classical virtuoso, Necrophagist still takes the cake. A big, smelly, bloody cake. But sometimes they can be too classical. Spawn of Possession is much better at TDM as far as lyrics and brutallity go, and I can't thank you enough Bryzz for your playing on Noctambulant, learning it has added a lot of new skill to my playing and I owe most of the style on my latest works to you. Go kick some more ass man.
thanks dude, do you have anything of your new stuff recorded? it would be interesting to hear :) and yes, jonas are the given names höhö.
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #21
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Noctambulant has a very barouque flavour in some of the riffs. The constant imitation of previous material and the nice polyphony sometimes invoke the real Bach feeling (esp. solemn.., in my own greed, scorched) in me, wich is a great compliment btw. as I consider Bach the greatest of all times.
It's funny though how bryzz says scorched would be one of the most depressing songs for him, as for me it's pure happiness. When the new theme comes in at 2:30 theres always a big smile on my face, then, when one minute later the second solo with the underlying counterpoint in its now, after careful riping, truly formed elegance comes in I sometimes start dancing full of joy. Seriously.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #22
The Grimmel Praug

Uncle Damfee is my favorite song from Cabinet. I wish I knew the lyrics during the bridge after the drum solo. The only words I understand are 'The diary' and 'the night of the murder'.
The Grimmel Praug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 AM   #23
Meth Cooker

i have been totally enlightened upon reading this thread. holy shit, haha.
Meth Cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #24
fragmentaryEvidence
atonal madness

Bryzz, I have studied the polyphony of your music lately and I was wondering if for your arrangements you're having some precises ''harmony movements'' in head. Thanks
fragmentaryEvidence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
Beacons

This is a fantastic thread. I always heard SoP reffered to having classical elements but I never was exposed to them so clearly. Cheers.
Beacons is offline   Reply With Quote