SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Green Carnation

Green Carnation Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 03-29-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Arcane Son

Some Observations For Next North American Tour

Hello Green Carnation,

I know this first NA tour was a long haul for you guys. Congrats on surviving and still being so humble and thankful about it all. Let me tell you this. If you guys keep coming over each year I guarentee that you will see a noticable difference in venue and crowd size. The first tour is always your intiation and trial by fire. I've witnessed countless European metal bands slugging it out in the trenches on their first tour or two over here and it's never easy but it is worth it and it will pay off! :)

I remember when Opeth and In Flames were coming over for the first time. They played the same crappy little venue here in Toronto called the Kathedral which holds maybe 150-200 people. But each year they came back the venue size increased and so did the crowds. Now Opeth can sell out the Opera House which is like 800+ people and In Flames just recently sold out the Kool Haus which is 2500+ I believe. So touring over here in North America will pay off if you can keep comming each year if not twice a year like some European bands do.

If and when you play Canada again make sure you try and book a gig in the Montreal area as well. Montreal has one of the largest Metal scenes in all of Canada and I dare say possibly even all of North America. Just talk to some metal/rock bands that tour over here and they will verify what I tell you.

Another thing that really helps is to try and get a support band that has a little popularity and a few albums under there belt but I know those choices are usually out of the bands hands. A solid band line up always pulls a bigger crowd.

Just some tips and observations from a metal vetran and fan who loves Green Carnation dearly.

Cheers & Keep the dream alive boys,

-Rob

P.S. - We really missed you guys in Toronto. Heres a local metal board for the Toronto area. Just look at all the people who posted that were sad that you couldn't make it. We love our Green Carnation.

http://www.bravewords.com/braveboard...ic.php?t=15849

Last edited by Arcane Son; 03-29-2006 at 11:11 PM..
Arcane Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
valgalder

I just saw The Gatheirng play the Kathedral (big bop) to quite a small crowed.. quite sad... I don't understand the city sometimes...
valgalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
Arcane Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by valgalder
I just saw The Gatheirng play the Kathedral (big bop) to quite a small crowed.. quite sad... I don't understand the city sometimes...
Yeah I hear you but that's only there 2nd time playing Toronto and that gig was already a step up from the gig they played the 1st time they came here 2 years ago when they played a dive called The Rockit. Also once again the bands the Gathering had with them were all fairly new and only on there first album so the support bands had no drawing power at all. I also read the Montreal show for The Gathering was much larger then the Toronto show though which was good to hear.

Last edited by Arcane Son; 03-29-2006 at 11:34 PM..
Old 03-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
valgalder

I'd like to go to Montreal sometime this year....

From what I heard, the gathering had a much better turnout last time around... I wouldn't know.. I ended up going to the Cleveland, OH gig... since that is a tad closer to me than Toronto.. both about 3 hours though. But anyway, Gathering played to a packed house to much excitment from the band...
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
valgalder

speaking of The Gathering again... I think a GC and Gathreing tour would be a great! Both unique and amazing bands, and especially powerful live.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
Arcane Son

Quote:
I'd like to go to Montreal sometime this year....

From what I heard, the gathering had a much better turnout last time around... I wouldn't know.. I ended up going to the Cleveland, OH gig... since that is a tad closer to me than Toronto.. both about 3 hours though. But anyway, Gathering played to a packed house to much excitment from the band...
That's cool to hear Valgalder. Like you it upsets me to see these great bands and musicians having to struggle so hard and face so many obsticles when there music is miles beyond the mainstream shite that pollutes the airwaves.

I am still a firm believer in touring really hard and consistently and you will build your fan base. It does take time, patience and endurance though.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #7
Arcane Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Son
That's cool to hear Valgalder. Like you it upsets me to see these great bands and musicians having to struggle so hard and face so many obsticles when there music is miles beyond the mainstream shite that pollutes the airwaves.

I am still a firm believer in touring really hard and consistently and you will build your fan base. It does take time, patience and endurance though.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #8
visiblyshaken

Quote:
speaking of The Gathering again... I think a GC and Gathreing tour would be a great! Both unique and amazing bands, and especially powerful live.
I saw GC & TG together at South By Southwest, it was very impressive. (Unexpect, the opener, was great too) The little venue was packed for The Gathering and it got a lot emptier when GC went on, unfortunately.

------------

Also, I wanted to thank the guys again for being such great sports this whole tour. I was lucky enough to see them twice (Valentines in Albany, NY and Lava Lounge @ SXSW in Austin, TX)

It was my pleasure to be able to interview y'all for WRPI and I am looking forward to your return to the US - first round is on me, gents.

Last edited by visiblyshaken; 03-30-2006 at 01:39 AM..
visiblyshaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
karpsmom

My only advice regarding touring is to make sure your acoustics make it on time! :p
karpsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
Alienshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Son
Yeah I hear you but that's only there 2nd time playing Toronto and that gig was already a step up from the gig they played the 1st time they came here 2 years ago when they played a dive called The Rockit. Also once again the bands the Gathering had with them were all fairly new and only on there first album so the support bands had no drawing power at all. I also read the Montreal show for The Gathering was much larger then the Toronto show though which was good to hear.
I was at both Gathering shows (Toronto & Montreal) and you're absolutely right - Montreal was pretty packed (of course Unexpect is from Montreal so that might have helped a little!).

BTW - Montreal is a pretty kick ass town and you're right - there seems to be a pretty big metal scene there!
Alienshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
Morley

Yeah I was at the Montreal show and it was pretty full which was great to see. GC would probably do well there. The other thing that I like about Montreal is that the crowds are always a bit more into the show. They just seem more passionate about music in general. I know our Toronto friends will be insulted at that but I'm speaking in generalities of course, not about everybody. I'm from Ottawa where the fans are like zombies...all just comatose throughout the show, making it hard for the band to get pumped up.

The Gathering and GC would be a good combo. They would complement each other musically and a good opening band would seal the deal. I wish I could have seen SXSW.
Morley is offline   Reply With Quote