SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #1
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 25 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of
Defining Album of the 2010s

To go along with the "best of the 2010s", I figure I'd create this thread.

So, a friend of mine posed this: "For 'extreme' records, what's this decade's that was universally revered and could be called a game changer? Some examples: The 80's had 'Reign in Blood'. The 90's had 'Slaughter of the Soul'. The '00's had 'Jane Doe'. What does the 2010's have?"

Thoughts?
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 22 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski
Re: Defining Album of the 2010s

lol
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
ratsapprentice

It didn't have one.
ratsapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
alteredstate

Fuck, Sunbather?
alteredstate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
intense

Paracletus
intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
Dizzy Alpaca Party
My body is ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by intense View Post
Paracletus
Nawwww, that was their worst release.

If anything, it was Colored Sands.
Dizzy Alpaca Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #7
Ander

Incurso.
Ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
Funeral Portrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredstate View Post
Fuck, Sunbather?
Like it or not, this is the answer. Meme culture alone turned it into one of the overall defining albums of the decade. Nevermind the countless other non-metal sub cultures that have embraced it. It's right up there with like, Death Grips and Daughters in terms of both massive crossover audience appeal and critical acclaim. And the fact that it's still so highly debated and polarizing only speaks to its staying power.
Funeral Portrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 22 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski

That is the dumbest shit I think I've ever read here, congrats
Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
ziel

Even though it came out in 2009...

"Everything is Fire" is the only thing that comes to mind that could fit this category imo.

So many bands followed that formula and attempted to replicate that sound for the 2010s.
ziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funeral Portrait View Post
Like it or not, this is the answer. Meme culture alone turned it into one of the overall defining albums of the decade. Nevermind the countless other non-metal sub cultures that have embraced it. It's right up there with like, Death Grips and Daughters in terms of both massive crossover audience appeal and critical acclaim. And the fact that it's still so highly debated and polarizing only speaks to its staying power.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #12
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

I don't remember the last time I read/heard about Deafheaven. Unless I live under a rock, I'm pretty sure that the hipster press that fanned their flames doesn't amount to much at the end of the day.

Regarding the thread topic, I don't think it's possible to think of music like that anymore, at least ever since the ways of the internet became the standard that everyone lives by. Every aspect of life now exists in a state of gluttonous saturation, to the point where everything is at once niche and "popular". There's no more center stage, it's now just a never-ending abyss of content. "Best of" means as much as the next guy's emotions.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #13
ratsapprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
I don't remember the last time I read/heard about Deafheaven. Unless I live under a rock, I'm pretty sure that the hipster press that fanned their flames doesn't amount to much at the end of the day.

Regarding the thread topic, I don't think it's possible to think of music like that anymore, at least ever since the ways of the internet became the standard that everyone lives by. Every aspect of life now exists in a state of gluttonous saturation, to the point where everything is at once niche and "popular". There's no more center stage, it's now just a never-ending abyss of content. "Best of" means as much as the next guy's emotions.
Aye.
ratsapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #14
Dizzy Alpaca Party
My body is ready

now, if the question was "Defining album of the last 20 years", that's easy:

Necrophagist - Epitaph

because every halfwit with a guitar pick and their mothers all immediately ripped that album off shamelessly, which continues to this day.
Dizzy Alpaca Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:24 AM   #15
Tomes of Deceit
keyboard warrior

It's an interesting question. To have one of those landmark albums you have to be attempting to write something true to the style yet reach a broader audience with some level of accessibility to your songwriting. I feel that the last 10-15 years has been characterized by most death and black metal bands totally rejecting any attempt at reaching a broader audience. That leads us to the sorry state of affairs where Sunbather was in fact one of the most universally recognized and discussed albums.

I think the crossover of US black or post-black metal into the mainstream has to be the main noteworthy trend of the past decade. For me personally that would put some of the Krallice albums on my list of albums that represent this decade. But Krallice is really the case in point, they are the epitome of an insular musician's band who has made less and less of an attempt to gain a far-reaching audience with each passing album. That might be part of the reason I can't really say they have any album that comes close to the level of classic, even though I thoroughly enjoy most of them.

In other words, writing a larger than life far-reaching album is now seen by so many as a lesser pursuit compared to writing the next dissonant or twisted album, and high profile crossover flops like your Illuds and TUK's only added nails to the coffin of extreme metal ambition.

It's funny that SOTS is the last iconic metal album listed by the OP, because I feel that the whole metalcore and melodeath travesty that the album birthed is partially responsible for the complete rejection of mainstream success or influence by the extreme metal scene.

Now we have bands like Gatecreeper trying to bring some semblance of scope or reach back into DM, unfortunately they are an utterly generic waste of a band. We need some of the people who have the skill and vision to play modern death metal to actually try to connect with the average metal fan instead of continuing to play to the same message board of guys.

Long story short, I don't primarily blame the internet for this, except in the sense that it's so easy to find your niche audience that people have even less of an incentive to try to say anything to a broad audience.
Tomes of Deceit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:18 AM   #16
LucienLaTulipe

Tough to pick up only one album. Even if I'm not that much into it i would say any album from DsO, it's like every band around ripped them off... This and Ulcerate for the whole dissonant/post thing

Last edited by LucienLaTulipe; 12-05-2019 at 01:21 AM..
LucienLaTulipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #17
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 22 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski

Oleg has already won the thread you guys
Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
The Duff

I’d agree with Colored Sands, maybe Destroyers of All, something dissonant of the era, although the svelt Ulcerate was less utilized than abrasive riffy Ulcerate. I can only think of an handful of bands, ad nauseum, Nero di marte, perhaps ulsect and dodecahedron.

Maybe even a band that renovated the blighted slam or cavernous death sound, but I reckon they are too historic to be considered; maybe then a djent tech death band like animals as leaders? These are the pervasive styles I see today.
The Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:41 AM   #19
Skeetsystem
cash/money pronouns

If this board doesn't go down for another few months because that one guy said "sunbather" there is no harmony in the universe
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #20
alteredstate

I'm not riding for Sunbather but it was arguably the biggest metal release of the decade
alteredstate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #21
Funeral Portrait

I don't think anybody here is advocating for Sunbather, but if you're unable to acknowledge its massive impact on metal and beyond in this past decade then you're fucking delusional.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #22
ShadowHunter
violently violating

if you think that "thing" had "a massive impact", you're either delusional or illiterate
Old 12-08-2019, 10:34 PM   #23
Funeral Portrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
if you think that "thing" had "a massive impact", you're either delusional or illiterate
Old 12-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #24
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

I'm with FP on this.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #25
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

Who did Deafheaven influence though? Where are the copycat bands? Deafheaven's sound is an amalgamation of bands that were big in the 2000's underground (anything labeled post rock/metal), just with blast beats and shrieks. An album like Choirs of the Eye has those exact elements in droves, and it's executed with so much more creativity and finesse, and it came out in 2003! Not to mention, it's way more original, and not so easy to categorize.

Ultimately, I'm left wondering...how "defining" can an album be, if the music sounds like a direct mixture of already-established styles? For something to be a defining album of a decade, you shouldn't be able to pick out which subgenre's sound was exploited like a paint-by-numbers diagram.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:58 PM   #26
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
Who did Deafheaven influence though? Where are the copycat bands?
there's... that one crap band on Blood Music whose name i forget... and that's about it

i cannot believe some people here are so monumentally dumb that for them "hyped by hipsters for a year and than promptly forgotten" means "it had a massive impact on music for a whole decade". that's just... ugh
Old 12-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #27
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

Look I'm not saying the album changed of my life or whatever, but I do think it defines 2010's.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #28
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spew View Post
Look I'm not saying the album changed of my life or whatever, but I do think it defines 2010's.
except it didn't. at best it defined 2013 for hipsters ('cause for "extreme" metalheads, that year was defined by something completely different)

plus, the (rather dumb) OP was pretty explicit in stating "extreme" records, and there's nothing even remotely "extreme" in that shit

there were more bands influenced by something as niche as Defeated Sanity in the 2010s than that garbage. if anything, the "extreme" genres of metal were defined by albums released in the previous decade(s) (the whole "dissonant" thing that's so popular nowadays, whether you trace it back to a DsO album, Gorguts or Ulcy, or the nu-old school dm sound that's being released so incessantly ever since Graves of the Archangels, but exploded in the 2010s. take any year in the 2010s post 2013 and there will be an order of magnitude more DsO or Gorguts or Dead Congregation wannabees than there were Deafhipster copypcats in the whole 7 years since it was released)

the only way anybody would say Pillowfarter had a "massive impact" on "extreme music" in the 2010s is if said persons were delusional, deaf, or illiterate (i.e. had no idea what the words "extreme", "massive", "impact" and "music" meant)

plus, what Oleg said in his first post in this thread perfectly describes why this thread is dumb
Old 12-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #29
Flaccid Penguin
Form Voltron

Talking Re: Defining Album of the 2010s

I JUST FINISHED BECOMING A FAGGOT
HAHAH ALL MY LUNCH MONEY IS GONE!!!

HAH I GAVE IT ALL AWAY
Flaccid Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #30
Funeral Portrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
except it didn't. at best it defined 2013 for hipsters ('cause for "extreme" metalheads, that year was defined by something completely different)

plus, the (rather dumb) OP was pretty explicit in stating "extreme" records, and there's nothing even remotely "extreme" in that shit

there were more bands influenced by something as niche as Defeated Sanity in the 2010s than that garbage. if anything, the "extreme" genres of metal were defined by albums released in the previous decade(s) (the whole "dissonant" thing that's so popular nowadays, whether you trace it back to a DsO album, Gorguts or Ulcy, or the nu-old school dm sound that's being released so incessantly ever since Graves of the Archangels, but exploded in the 2010s. take any year in the 2010s post 2013 and there will be an order of magnitude more DsO or Gorguts or Dead Congregation wannabees than there were Deafhipster copypcats in the whole 7 years since it was released)

the only way anybody would say Pillowfarter had a "massive impact" on "extreme music" in the 2010s is if said persons were delusional, deaf, or illiterate (i.e. had no idea what the words "extreme", "massive", "impact" and "music" meant)

plus, what Oleg said in his first post in this thread perfectly describes why this thread is dumb
Angry man on dead forum keeps revisiting a thread that he doesn't think should exist. Get 'em, bud.

For someone that seemingly doesn't understand how to use capital letters or punctuation, calling out what you perceive to be illiteracy is a fucking hilarious hill to die on.

We're all here to have a good time. Don't get so sad and upset about music opinions you disagree with.