SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Severed Savior

Severed Savior Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
M.Gilbert

Need gear advice/help?

I get a lot of emails and messages asking for advice on gear or help with setting up/dialing in gear, etc. I do not claim to know everything, but I have a fair amount of gear knowledge that I am always more than happy to share with others upon request. So feel free to reply to this thread with any gear questions you might have, and I will do my best to help. I also welcome anyone else to jump in here and help if they have knowledge or advice to share with others.
Mike
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #2
boredoms

is the marshall jmp-1 preamp a good choice for super tight metal tones ?
boredoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY
wow, this is a good idea to just keep in all in one thread. I just got a Jackson SL2H Soloist. I want to change out the strings the guitar came with and use Elixirs all the time but I don't know about setting up intonation... help?
First I would change one string at a time. keeping most of the tension on the neck rather than taking all the strings off at once. Also the tremelo will not dip into the cavity too far if you change them one at a time. Take a good tuner, and stretch each string by pulling upwards every few inches all the way across the neck. Stretch, retune, stretch, retune until it stays the desired pitch. Then start with your low E (6th string) and hit the 12th fret harmonic. Ideally you want the open string, 12th fret harmonic and 12th fret pressed down to be roughly the same pitch according to the tuner. If the pitch of the 12th fret is sharp, then you need to loosen the string a bit, then loosen the allen screw on the saddle of the bridge and push it back towards the rear of the guitar. This makes the scale length slightly longer, which means the pitch of the 12th fret will go lower. If the pitch of the 12th fret is flat, then you need to shorten the length of the string by moving that same saddle towards the neck of the guitar. Also, the flat lower plate on the bridge (where it says "floyd rose" or whatever) should be parallel with the strings which on the SL2H is also almost parallel with the body. Having the bridge tilted either direction can screw up intonation, and screw with the action quite a bit.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredoms
is the marshall jmp-1 preamp a good choice for super tight metal tones ?
The JMP-1 is a good preamp. As long as you are running high output pickups like EMG's, it should have plenty of gain/distortion. I haven't spent too much time playing through one, but when I did, I wasn't very impressed with it. I liked the lead tones I was able to dial in, but wasn't too happy with the high gain rhythm tones. Probably because I didn't spend enough time tweaking the settings. The best advice I can give is to try before you buy.
Just about every guitar center has a JMP-1 you would be able to play through. And since they are fairly expensive, you should really be 100% sure you like the preamp before you buy it.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:17 AM   #5
Goaters
無月

Quote:
wow, this is a good idea to just keep in all in one thread. I just got a Jackson SL2H Soloist. I want to change out the strings the guitar came with and use Elixirs all the time but I don't know about setting up intonation... help?
you should have gotten the 06 model sl2Hs with those speed loaders... though i think they are U.G.L.Y. looking.

i'm just wondering how you plug a V-amp2 into a computer for recording.. i'm pretty sure that you go through using the line in.. but are there other ways to connect like USB or something?

Last edited by Goaters; 07-10-2006 at 03:21 AM..
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:24 AM   #6
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert
First I would change one string at a time. keeping most of the tension on the neck rather than taking all the strings off at once. Also the tremelo will not dip into the cavity too far if you change them one at a time. Take a good tuner, and stretch each string by pulling upwards every few inches all the way across the neck. Stretch, retune, stretch, retune until it stays the desired pitch. Then start with your low E (6th string) and hit the 12th fret harmonic. Ideally you want the open string, 12th fret harmonic and 12th fret pressed down to be roughly the same pitch according to the tuner. If the pitch of the 12th fret is sharp, then you need to loosen the string a bit, then loosen the allen screw on the saddle of the bridge and push it back towards the rear of the guitar. This makes the scale length slightly longer, which means the pitch of the 12th fret will go lower. If the pitch of the 12th fret is flat, then you need to shorten the length of the string by moving that same saddle towards the neck of the guitar. Also, the flat lower plate on the bridge (where it says "floyd rose" or whatever) should be parallel with the strings which on the SL2H is also almost parallel with the body. Having the bridge tilted either direction can screw up intonation, and screw with the action quite a bit.

thanks man :banana:
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters
you should have gotten the 06 model sl2Hs with those speed loaders... though i think they are U.G.L.Y. looking.

i'm just wondering how you plug a V-amp2 into a computer for recording.. i'm pretty sure that you go through using the line in.. but are there other ways to connect like USB or something?
It really depends on your sound card/audio interface for the pc. I have a "Y" cable running from the 1/4 inch output jacks on my v-amp2 to a single 1/4 inch stereo plug which I plug into a line in jack on my Sound Blaster Audigy 2's external I/O box. (a really handy little unit) Almost all sound cards have a line in or mic in jack. But most are 1/8 inch jacks which means you'll have to buy a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter plug. The only way you would be able to connect via USB is through some sort of audio interface unit, or even something like the line6 guitar port.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:34 AM   #8
M.Gilbert

Quote:
thanks man :banana:
:1pirate:
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
Vaginal.Infestation
Hidden in flesh

Well, I'm looking to buy a new guitar.
I've got a ESP KH2, and that's a very very good guitar but I want a new one.

What I'm looking for is

- Neck-thru
- Bridge and Neck position Humbuckers (i don't like Single coils)
- 24 frets
- Ebony/Rosewood fingerboard
- Floyd Rose

Now, since I live in Iceland, there's not much to choose from, so I'm going to order it from some Online shop (i prefer Music123.com if they have it), which means I don't have the chance to play it before I buy it, so I need to be ordering some bulletproof stuff, kind of... you know.

I really like Jackson guitars, and I'd like to get me one of those, maybe a Soloist or something.

Oh and yeah, I play mainly deathmetal - brutal and technical. Sort of like Severed Savior, Necrophagist, Cryptopsy, Decapitated combination ... all of this shit, you know.

What would you recommend?
Vaginal.Infestation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #10
crypticsmell

I'm not Mike but I can say that Jackson make good guitars with what you are looking for and play. I fucking love mine.
crypticsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #11
Vaginal.Infestation
Hidden in flesh

Yeah, I've never heard anyone complain about Jacksons.
What kind is yours?

I remember seeing a picture of you (i think it was you) on the CannibalCorpse forum few days ago... you seemed to handle that badboy. :ninja (i am that Maphogant jerk over there)

But yeah, I think I'm going to end up with a jackson.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #12
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaginal.Infestation

What I'm looking for is

- Neck-thru
- 24 frets
- Floyd Rose

Now, since I live in Iceland, there's not much to choose from, so I'm going to order it from some Online shop (i prefer Music123.com if they have it), which means I don't have the chance to play it before I buy it, so I need to be ordering some bulletproof stuff, kind of... you know.

I really like Jackson guitars, and I'd like to get me one of those, maybe a Soloist or something.

i'm not Mike either...or am I?... no, no i'm not
anyway..
yeah pretty much all the US Solists are 2 humbucker, with the floyd ...
so the sl1s the sl2s sl2h (you can get these now with the easy load floyds in them - but i think they look fuckin ugly)
also the US kellys roads and Kings are all neckthrough with 2 humbuckers.. floyd etc.
but man.. going from a Kh2 to a soloist.. what a jump.. i think kh2 are the heaviest guitars i've had a spin on...
if you want to stick to eps.. you can get the M-1000 or m-200fm(awesome gat) or like the MH-250 or MH-400s..

have a play around see what you like best, then get that.

Last edited by Goaters; 07-13-2006 at 12:44 AM..
Old 07-13-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaginal.Infestation

What I'm looking for is

- Neck-thru
- 24 frets
- Floyd Rose

Oh and yeah, I play mainly deathmetal - brutal and technical. Sort of like Severed Savior, Necrophagist, Cryptopsy, Decapitated combination ... all of this shit, you know.

I guess the main factor is how much you are willing to spend on a new guitar. I'm partial to Jacksons, but there are many other great guitars out there that meet your listed criteria. Also, are you set on the guitar being new? There are lots of great deals to be had on excellent used guitars. So keep that in mind too. Anyways, if you want to go the Jackson route, the USA Sl2H is what you would want. But I think you would be much better off buying from a dealer other than online stores like music123.com or musiciansfriend. If you want a USA Jackson, I would order from someplace like: www.vwallguitars.com www.mattsmusic.com www.guitarasylum.com
You will have to call them or email them to find out what they actually have in stock, and what the real sale prices are.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
Vaginal.Infestation
Hidden in flesh

Quote:
I guess the main factor is how much you are willing to spend on a new guitar. I'm partial to Jacksons, but there are many other great guitars out there that meet your listed criteria. Also, are you set on the guitar being new? There are lots of great deals to be had on excellent used guitars. So keep that in mind too. Anyways, if you want to go the Jackson route, the USA Sl2H is what you would want. But I think you would be much better off buying from a dealer other than online stores like music123.com or musiciansfriend. If you want a USA Jackson, I would order from someplace like: www.vwallguitars.com www.mattsmusic.com www.guitarasylum.com
You will have to call them or email them to find out what they actually have in stock, and what the real sale prices are.
I've got plenty of money these days.
I've seen the USA SL2H and I've been looking into that one for a while, I really like that one (although I haven't played it yet) and if I find a good price I just might buy it.

It doesn't absolutely have to be brand new, but I think I can afford a new one, but yeah, I'll look into that better.

Thanks for the reply man, and thanks for the links, I'll check this out.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #15
PreserveVitalOrgans

I need a cheap 8 space rack case that is durable

no more then 100 canadain dollars with shipping

who can hook a bro up?
PreserveVitalOrgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #16
Goaters
無月

can anyone fill me in on the Digitech 2112.. are they any good? what are they like for getting death metal tone/high gain stuff? what's the clarity like? and are they very hard to use?
Old 07-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #17
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreserveVitalOrgans
I need a cheap 8 space rack case that is durable

no more then 100 canadain dollars with shipping

who can hook a bro up?
Is there local classifieds for Craiglist.org in Canada? That would be your best bet at finding a rack that cheap. Most decent racks are gonna cost 3 times that much brand new, and maybe closer to your listed price used.
SKB makes good, affordable cases. If you have any tubes in your rack, you are better off saving for a good shock rack though. Especially if you gig a lot.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #18
M.Gilbert

Quote:
can anyone fill me in on the Digitech 2112.. are they any good? what are they like for getting death metal tone/high gain stuff? what's the clarity like? and are they very hard to use?
If you are interested in a 2112, you should just get a 2120. Excellent all-in-one units. Very good preamp section, and is a very tweakable unit. Which can be frustrating until you understand how everything works, and what you can do with it. But yes, you can get good high gain tones from it, including death metal.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #19
PreserveVitalOrgans

Quote:
Is there local classifieds for Craiglist.org in Canada? That would be your best bet at finding a rack that cheap. Most decent racks are gonna cost 3 times that much brand new, and maybe closer to your listed price used.
SKB makes good, affordable cases. If you have any tubes in your rack, you are better off saving for a good shock rack though. Especially if you gig a lot.
yeah im planning to buy used

buy the end of the summer ill have an ENGl 570 preamp and engl 920 poweramp in my rack

maybe ill pump out 150 on a rack.....
PreserveVitalOrgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #20
InvoluntarySlaughter

Mike, I saw your post where you said that you sold your VHT Poweramp. And I just wanted to know your opinion on it. There's nobody close to me that sells any VHT products, and I've heard some samples, and was really impressed. But I still haven't gotten to try one out. So, how did you like it? Did it have a crisp sound to it? Listening to samples on a computer doesn't really do it justice I presume. Anyway, any help is appreciated.
InvoluntarySlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #21
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvoluntarySlaughter
Mike, I saw your post where you said that you sold your VHT Poweramp. And I just wanted to know your opinion on it. There's nobody close to me that sells any VHT products, and I've heard some samples, and was really impressed. But I still haven't gotten to try one out. So, how did you like it? Did it have a crisp sound to it? Listening to samples on a computer doesn't really do it justice I presume. Anyway, any help is appreciated.
The VHT's poweramps are among the best you can buy. Most people prefer the EL34 based 2/50/2, and some swear by the KT88 based 2/90/2, which is what I had for about a year or so. VHT's are extremely quiet, sound excellent, built like a tank, and they're fuckin LOUD.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #22
InvoluntarySlaughter

Cool. Thanks man. I've seen some VHT's on Musician's Friend, but they're a pretty penny, that's why I'm saving like crazy for one. Alright dude, thanks.
InvoluntarySlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 AM   #23
Goaters
無月

Quote:
If you are interested in a 2112, you should just get a 2120. Excellent all-in-one units. Very good preamp section, and is a very tweakable unit. Which can be frustrating until you understand how everything works, and what you can do with it. But yes, you can get good high gain tones from it, including death metal.
what's the difference between the 2112 and the 2120?.. apart from the colour.. they both look the same.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:23 AM   #24
M.Gilbert

Quote:
what's the difference between the 2112 and the 2120?.. apart from the colour.. they both look the same.
Well, they're nearly identical. The 2112 can be upgraded to be a 2120. As far as I can remember, the differences are mainly in the software. The 2120 has all the artist created presets, as well as some tweaking to the effects and interface on the screen.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:47 PM   #25
Goaters
無月

what are some good poweramps?.. brands, models and stuff.. good quality poweramps not too expensive..

also what are some essential gear to have in a rack unit?
poweramp
preamp
EQ
??
is an EQ a must?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM   #26
littlephil0

krank amps and vader cabs

I have a krankenstein wanted to get your thoughts on the head. I also have two vader cabs on the way and if you could tell me a little bit about why you like them. Thanks mike. Saw you and origin this weekend, the show was great.
littlephil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #27
M.Gilbert

Quote:
what are some good poweramps?.. brands, models and stuff.. good quality poweramps not too expensive..

also what are some essential gear to have in a rack unit?
poweramp
preamp
EQ
??
is an EQ a must?
Essential gear for a rack:
Good power conditioner
Preamp/poweramp (seperate or not depending on the amp)
multi-effects unit
Noise gate

The idea is to have as simple of a setup as possible. The fewer things in your signal chain, the better. Everything that the signal passes through alters and degrades the tone to some extent. Some units much more than others. Also there is more chances of adding noise every time you add a unit in the signal chain. A seperate EQ should be a last resort if you can't dial in the tone you want from your preamp/poweramp. Same with BBE's.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #28
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephil0
I have a krankenstein wanted to get your thoughts on the head. I also have two vader cabs on the way and if you could tell me a little bit about why you like them. Thanks mike. Saw you and origin this weekend, the show was great.
I've never personally played through a Krank. I've heard several sound clips and they sounded pretty good, but I've also read a lot of bad reviews online, and have seen a lot of drama online regarding that company.
The Vader 4x12 I have sounds great. I've taken it on the road several times, and it has held up really well. It can handle a lot of power, and is a very balanced cabinet tone-wise. Smooth but punchy mids, tight bass, crisp but not shrill high end. They have a somewhat unique tone that sounds awesome for metal, but also sounds great for cleans and leads.
Thanks! Glad you liked the show.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:06 AM   #29
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Essential gear for a rack:
Good power conditioner
Preamp/poweramp (seperate or not depending on the amp)
multi-effects unit
Noise gate

The idea is to have as simple of a setup as possible. The fewer things in your signal chain, the better. Everything that the signal passes through alters and degrades the tone to some extent. Some units much more than others. Also there is more chances of adding noise every time you add a unit in the signal chain. A seperate EQ should be a last resort if you can't dial in the tone you want from your preamp/poweramp. Same with BBE's.
is a multi-effects unit a must have if you don't use any effects?.
and i guess you wouldn't really need a Multi if you are using like a 2120 or a 2112.. or any preamp that has bult in effects?

i doubt i'd ever get a BBE, but when i was talking to a guy in store about rack casings he pointed out that an additional EQ would be a must..i kinda know this guy and he digs fender squares way too much for a supposed straight kid so i wasn't sure how viable his statement was.

p.s how do i get a Vader cab endorsement?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #30
chuck13

hi m.gilbert

first of all sorry for my english!!!

i bought a VHT 2/90/2 poweramp after all the good words that i read in this forum about VHT. unfortunally it came withought an instructions book and i am a litle confused about all this knobs!!!

i want to connect the power amp with my cab and my pod xt pro.
please give me some help about the way to connect right.
and also help me if you can with the poweramp knobs .(some short explanation)

thanx for reading!!!
chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote