Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Alarum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alarum Website

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Evansduality

Evansduality slam gang member
The New Album

Well, we've been busy writing and demoing for alarum album #3. There's alot happening musically and I would have to say it will be our broadest album yet. There seems to be a few distinct flavors emerging. Everyone's pleased with how the material is progressing... But something's been nagging me lately. I want to get an idea about what you would like to hear in this new album... (not that we will ever do anything apart from what the 4 of us want)
More 'technical' playing?
More 'jazzy/modal' stuff?
More 'groove & nice syncopated' ideas?
More 'straight ahead metal' ?
More 'catchiness' ?
More 'old skool thrash' ?
More 'straight death metal' ?
etc etc...

and what would you like NOT to hear on it? of course, there is good and bad in all possible styles, but as a general gist... it would be cool just to see where everyone is coming from in their appreciation of what we are doing..
Evansduality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
Schraiber
Death metal'd

Schraiber slam gang member
I'd love a thicker tone. Eventuality is great... but the distorted guitar tone is just not heavy... when I saw you guys live with Necrophagist in the USA you had the tone down... it was PERFECT. Just try to capture that tone for the heavy parts (later Gorguts maybe as a good example?) and I'll buy 5 copies of the album >_<
Schraiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:20 AM   #3
Evansduality

yeah, it will have a much thicker production i'd say. but i was more wondering about the musical direction...
Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 AM   #4
phagist_
scatter the ember

phagist_ beat up jewskiphagist_ beat up jewski
I just want more ALARUM.

Dude's do what comes from the heart - I been loving what you've guys have written so far, so keep going!
phagist_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET

Cloaca beat up jewskiCloaca beat up jewski
More gurgles, pig squeals, and slammy bits. And more farting.
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Schraiber
Death metal'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansduality View Post
yeah, it will have a much thicker production i'd say. but i was more wondering about the musical direction...
I don't know what you could do to improve on the musical direction taken in Eventuality.... it was nigh perfect, in my opinion---the culmination of the Atheist style!
Old 02-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
MEAT
Allez Cuisine!

MEAT slam gang member
It needs more cowbell... but if you want a straight answer, more "groove" is always appreciated. I also enjoy a strong bass presence in the music as well. Anyway, based on the previous albums, I also agree that the musical direction you guys have taken is right on. Keep up the good work.
MEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 AM   #8
Mortuary

Mortuary slam gang member
cant wait for the new stuff guys. personally id like to see you guys have a dab at a more 'death metal' vibe with a couple of tracks, but again, just let it flow and im sure we will all dig it :)

any plans on tours for this new alb yet?
Mortuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
parabola5353
&gt; Afro Dog

parabola5353 slam gang member
please do these

post some videos of you guys rehearsing the new songs!
parabola5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
AvantHarde
FretboardWizard

AvantHarde slam gang member
More 'technical' playing
More 'jazzy/modal' stuff
More 'groove & nice syncopated' ideas
More ' death metal

all of those.
AvantHarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:19 AM   #11
PROPHECIES fORETOLD

PROPHECIES fORETOLD slam gang member
To be honest I donīt care how it would sound as long as it just as good as the previous cd and if itīs something else when it comes to the music.
But since it was alreday posted that it would sound more jazzy iīm more then happy with it!
I think that the vocals could be more aggressive. I think that sometimes it didnīt fit the music just as good as it should be.....
PROPHECIES fORETOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Faust06

Faust06 slam gang member
Good bass presence is always nice. An open sounding production too.. the guitars don't have to be thicker, the bass drums and bass could be louder. Large chords would sound like shit if the guitars were like that, plus I'm sick of hearing that sound in 90% of death metal sounding so flat these days.
Faust06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
helshump

helshump slam gang member
If I were to cast a vote, I'd vote for the first three:
More 'technical' playing?
Also, a more death metally sound, I'm thinking, would be nice; here my thinking is a result of just having listened to Iniquity. And be sure to weave some great bass playing into the whole thing.

But whatever you do, I'm sure it will be grand.
helshump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #14
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

Dr. Kang Mao-pang slam gang member
I can't wait either, one of the best Aus bands EVER! Love 'em.

Yeah, Evans- you cunts write well enough without our input, so do what you do I reckon.
But for the record- I'd like it to be basically the same, but all I don't wanna hear is for you to go less metal...and for fun I'd like to hear you guys have a few sections that are so crazy tech it'll boggle the mind...and maybe some real fast, tight DM stuff here and there...and that's all.
But really, do what you do- the talent's there, no need to change too much...just don't make an "eventuality mkII" you know, make sure it evolves slightly- like you did between fluid and eventuality.

Hope to catch ya soon, ya bastard.
Dr. Kang Mao-pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 PM   #15
Schraiber
Death metal'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
I'd like it to be basically the same, but all I don't wanna hear is for you to go less metal...and for fun I'd like to hear you guys have a few sections that are so crazy tech it'll boggle the mind...and maybe some real fast, tight DM stuff here and there...
Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 AM   #16
Evansduality

Oh, don't worry, there's at least 1 song that is pretty mind-boggling... and i have another if i can finish it in time. A couple of songs are going to be by default 'eventuality mk2' because i decided not to try and include them on eventuality as we had enough material ready at the time but they have since developed alot more. We were looking to inject some more deathy faster type sounding stuff but it kinda hasnt come out that way so far! It probably wont be as heavy song-wise but i think production-wise it will be. There's actually some more laid-back rock influenced things going on in some of the songs, but when you break it down its still very much alarum, some of the more 'technical' ideas might be in 4/4 time whereas theres straightforward sounding stuff thats actually in odd times.. all in all though the songwriting itself is alot stronger (much more harmonic depth) and the vocals will fit in alot better on this one. ..
Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 AM   #17
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

I was never worried haha. You guys can't fail.
AND YEAH, DON'T WORRY ABOUT A "Hi Chalky" OR ANY SHIT...you bastard...hehe
Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #18
Evansduality

haha. sorry man. hi bastard! :-P
Old 04-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #19
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

*Cracks Knuckles*
Old 04-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #20
DeadNote

DeadNote slam gang member
Im with everyone else just be Alarum ,Because i cant find anything on Eventuality that i dont like .On another note anyone else find the hidden track number 16 on Eventuality you have to listen for about 20 mins of silence before it kicks in just wondering if anyone else found it yet.
DeadNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #21
Evansduality

theres a bit of a story behind that bonus track, it's called Murala and it was originally on one of our old demo tapes.. so we decided we wanted to re-do it for the album as a 'pre-track' (some copies of fluid motion have a secret pre-track which is pretty classic haha..) but the pressing plant couldnt do it unless we pressed off the DAT which are problematic usually so we just tacked it on the end of the CD instead. In hindsight i wish we'd left it off because some people got annoyed about the gap. im just glad it wasnt the illuminati we annoyed. lol.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #22
DeadNote

Thats fantastic thanks for the story about the track ,I dont much mind the wait myself now i know its there i can just skip to when the song starts playing unless i forget "which was the case when i found it" and be shocked when music starts playing.This is gonna be way off topic but can you give a little insight on the bass tone i mean to my ears its perfect id say its even my favorite bass tone/playing on an album in a long time this even beats out the tone that Lars norberg has on Spiral Architect - Sceptic's Universe.So any info about the tone would be amazing ,Thanks
Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #23
Evansduality

I'm really not too sure about the bass tones other than i think it was the hartke bass amp DI'd and maybe blended with some mic'd tone. Then it was probably EQ'd with one of the SSL racks in the studio but again, im not too sure... should be even better on the new album as palf has just gotten a Yamaha Patitucci signature bass which sounds unbelievable...
Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #24
DeadNote

That came from a hartke? Im mean ive always known them to be of good quality but ,I was expecting it to be something of a boutique nature but thanks for the info.By the sounds of it the tone on the new album will be amazing ,Speaking of which hows the new album coming along ? and i would love to see some sort of Cd+ shirt deal when it comes out that would just make my day just wondering if you guys had any plans like that. Thanks and sorry for all the questions
Old 04-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #25
couchise

couchise slam gang member
i love yr sound guys,so put a new thought, and let us dream with your art.
couchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #26
Faust06

Faust06 slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansduality View Post
Oh, don't worry, there's at least 1 song that is pretty mind-boggling... and i have another if i can finish it in time. A couple of songs are going to be by default 'eventuality mk2' because i decided not to try and include them on eventuality as we had enough material ready at the time but they have since developed alot more. We were looking to inject some more deathy faster type sounding stuff but it kinda hasnt come out that way so far! It probably wont be as heavy song-wise but i think production-wise it will be. There's actually some more laid-back rock influenced things going on in some of the songs, but when you break it down its still very much alarum, some of the more 'technical' ideas might be in 4/4 time whereas theres straightforward sounding stuff thats actually in odd times.. all in all though the songwriting itself is alot stronger (much more harmonic depth) and the vocals will fit in alot better on this one. ..
That sounds about right. You guys have an identity, and some great song writting.. I hope you don't neglect that for more death sound or wank. Have very high expectations.. you guys rule.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #27
Disincarnate
Uroboric Forms

Location: The Planet That Once Used To Absorb Flesh In Order To Achieve Divinity And Immortality (Suffocated To The Flesh That It Desired...)
Disincarnate slam gang member
anything and everything would be awesome..imo i love the clean parts but the growling bit should be lower..more like chuck in leprosy,human and ITP
Disincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #28
Faust06

Faust06 slam gang member
I actually prefer the thrash/Martyr-like screams. Growling doesn't quite fit in anyway.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #29
Evansduality

im not sure theres going to be any growling or screams.. they don't fit the new material...
alot of reviews for eventuality panned the vocals. It's a matter of personal preference in the end, and they also came out a bit higher in the mix than we anticipated. But this time round, everything will in its proper place. By the way, the albums gunna be called Natural Causes.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #30
ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX slam gang member
im with chalky
keep it the way you have.
you are amazing musicians, extremely tallented.
you've blended a mix of sounds and turned it into an outstanding form of music that will live on.
you are pionners in what you do, so just keep on goin!
ShadowFactoryX is offline   Reply With Quote