SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Green Carnation

Green Carnation Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 01-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Kenneth Silden

Any recommendations on what to explore in the U.S?

I´m trying to gather some info on what to see, eat and drink when we get to the U.S. Any suggestions from our American friends?
Kenneth Silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Silden
I´m trying to gather some info on what to see, eat and drink when we get to the U.S. Any suggestions from our American friends?
Wel, If you come to Chicago you could check out the beautiful lakefront, lots of museums, Navy Pier, Buckingham Fountain. As for eating, you need to have a Chicago style hot dog and deep dish pizza. It's just too bad that GC is not playing here unless they had a show here.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #3
dead6skin6mask6

hey man!

as for New York City... check out Times Square, of course. that can be some fun to walk around... Central Park.

be careful in NYC, though. it's illegal to consume alcohol in public, as well as public drunkenness... other than that, see you at the NY show! and if, by chance, there are more dates to be added, in NJ or Philadelphia. if not... lookin forward to the next tour :)
dead6skin6mask6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
Transient
i wont

where are you headed? our country is so massive it has a bit of everything and it really depends where you touch ground... places in the south have swamps and hot weather, places in the west are..well.. i dont live there and never have been. it's like the desert in arizona...some awesome sights in terms of geography
the northeast is probably pretty similar to the weather you're used to

wait, it just occured to me you're probably in GC aren't you? so you get to see the whole country.

ill come speak what little norweigan i know with you at valentines in NY if i'm not too shy!
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
Kjetil N

Transient; check out the dates on www.greencarnation.no

There will be more dates added.

We'd like some more advice. Looking forward to this!!!

K
Kjetil N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

I recommend you eat @ McDonalds, it's typical American cuisine :p.
MadTinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Kenneth Silden

Deep Dish Pizza

I´ve heard that the deep dish pizza on the East Coast is great. It is drained in butter and fat I´ve heard. That´s gonna be good for my extremely fit tummy:) And I bet Kjetil won´t decline a pizza like that either:)

Thanks for the tips so far. I appreciate it.

I guess we´ll be spending most of our time in a van, so I thought if I planned a bit up ahead, I´d might get more out of my stay. I am gonna go see the biggest organ in the world in some cathedral in Salt Lake City when we get there and if there is some time. Maybe I could sneak up and throw some evil chords at them :)

To Transient: See you on Valentine´s day. If we´re have a chat after the show I guess we both have had some beers and we can tell some old viking tales in Norwegian:)

Last edited by Kenneth Silden; 01-17-2006 at 10:30 AM..
Old 01-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
dead6skin6mask6

if, by chance, you go to Philadelphia, you must go to Pat's Steaks. it's pretty much legendary. best cheesesteaks ever
Old 01-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
Kjetil N

Food, food, food.. we'll all have to be on a diet for years after this trip, it seems like!!!

Kjetil
Kjetil N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
METAL QUEEN

When you're in Toronto, I would suggest Sneaky Dee's, if you haven't been there yet. Best chicken wings in the city!! I would definitely try to convince my buddy Adrian to bring me there again the next time I'm there, which I guess will be the weekend of April 1.
METAL QUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #11
dead6skin6mask6

Harvey's in Toronto was the best fast food i've ever had
Old 01-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
Candlelight6

In Addition to Dead6Skin6Mask6's recommendations in NYC, I would also like to add to check out the EAST VILLAGE, lots of rock shops/metal stores, pubs and bars.. It's also close to CBGB's and Broadway.. You can find anything to do there from street vendors/performers/museums/parks etc.. Also, speaking of food, Little ITALY is just within minutes away, you can find the best OVEN COOKED pizza in NYC there and there's plenty of them. Cross over a couple of blocks and you can check out CHINATOWN for some "somewhat authentic" oriental feel.. From the hanging ducks and live frogs/turtles on the streets to having rabbits and exotic foods you'll find it there. And finally, take a five minute ride and you can check out the South Street Seaport for a nice view of the Hudson River, New York city Bridges, Good foods and bars within the port as well.. and if you're interested there's also the human body exhibit that's going on now until the end of February at the South Street Seaport that shows you different preserved bodies, internal organs, smoker's lungs, cirrhotic livers, a pregnant woman preserved with her baby in the womb, etc. (I missed that when I was in Toronto, we went to Niagara Falls instead like you guys did, haha).. I would suggest not to miss NEW YORK CITY PIZZA. I wish I had the luxury to take you guys out on a tour of NYC but I don't. It really depends on what you guys want to do and interested in seeing/doing.. Afterall, it's the city that never sleeps.. See you guys soon.
Candlelight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
visiblyshaken

When you go to South by Southwest in Austin, TX. I recommend that you check out Sixth Street, it will be hopping even more than normal because of SXSW. Austin is the self-proclaimed Live Music Capital of the World, there will be lots of great bands there in Austin then (not sure how long y'all will be there) I don't know what venue y'all are going to be at, but odds are, it will be on 6th.

Get some Tex-Mex food when you get there, Chuy's or Guero's are my two favorites in Austin.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know about Austin or SXSW, I'll be there for that show and I will be attending the Albany, NY show as well.

I'd love to help do promotion/interviews/etc for the Albany show on my college radio station too!
visiblyshaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #14
AshDLS

I'm not sure if you guys are the museum types, but when I went over to NYC and Toronto (mainly for the DotE festival) I was seriously impressed with the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, it's easily on par with the British Museum and the Louvre. Highly recommended! The Guggenheim Museum is also worth a few hours.

I'd suggest the Empire State Building observatory if there wasn't such a huge fucking queue to get to the top. :(

And don't forget the bagels.

And the pizza.

Ah god I'm drunk.
AshDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #15
AshDLS

I'm not sure if you guys are the museum types, but when I went to NYC (on my way to the DotE festival in Toronto) I was seriously impressed with the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, it's easily on par with the British Museum and the Louvre. Highly recommended! The Guggenheim Museum is also worth a few hours. Also, definitely see the Bodyworlds exhibition that Candlelight6 mentioned (if it's still happening), that's some weird and interesting shit.

I'd suggest the Empire State Building observatory if there wasn't such a huge fucking queue to get to the top. :(

And don't forget the bagels.

And the pizza.

And the pretzels.

Ah god I'm hammered.

Last edited by AshDLS; 01-17-2006 at 04:11 PM..
Old 01-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
Alexandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus
I recommend you eat @ McDonalds, it's typical American cuisine :p.
Alexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:09 AM   #17
Kenneth Silden

Thanks for all the info. I'm taking notes for my calendar. Some of us tried to get up in the CN-Tower i Toronto when we were there, but the queue was just too damned long. I guess the queue isn't smaller at The Empire State Building. Keep it coming...

To VisiblyShaken:
Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to get to Austin, Stevie Ray Vaughan's hometown:)
It would be great if you would do something on your radioshow. If you send me a private message with your email-address I can get Tchort to mail you whatever you need for promoting. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Kenneth Silden; 01-18-2006 at 07:15 AM..
Old 01-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #18
Ripper

Quote:
I´ve heard that the deep dish pizza on the East Coast is great. It is drained in butter and fat I´ve heard. That´s gonna be good for my extremely fit tummy:) And I bet Kjetil won´t decline a pizza like that either:)
Yeah, right. New York style pizza is thin crust. If you really want deep dish pizza then you ought to come where it was invented and that's Chicago. Some great pizza places here are: Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, Giordano's, Pizzeria Uno, Home Run Inn, Rizzatta's.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:56 AM   #19
dead6skin6mask6

I think I went to Giordano's when I was in Chicago
Old 01-19-2006, 02:32 AM   #20
dead6skin6mask6

what, you want them to die?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #21
NeptuneTowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL QUEEN
When you're in Toronto, I would suggest Sneaky Dee's, if you haven't been there yet. Best chicken wings in the city!! I would definitely try to convince my buddy Adrian to bring me there again the next time I'm there, which I guess will be the weekend of April 1.
Cheers. Sneak's owns.

Harvey's is gross. I'd say typical canadian fast food is more like Tim Hortons. hhahaa.

Last edited by NeptuneTowers; 01-19-2006 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: I suck.
NeptuneTowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #22
METAL QUEEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneTowers
Cheers. Sneak's owns.

Harvey's is gross. I'd say typical canadian fast food is more like Tim Hortons. hhahaa.
When it comes to fast foods in Ontario, Lick's owns! And then there's always those pita places.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #23
AshDLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucified Coma
Maybe it's 'cuz I live here, but NYC isn't really that interesting. Like Times Square and shit...just giant neon advertisements and way too many people.
I think it is just you. ;)

I didn't see any appeal in Times Square at all (I've copped enough bells-and-whistles neon crap in Japan), but regardless, whatever kind of music/art/food/culture/etc you're into, I'm certain it can be found somewhere in New York at a damn good standard. It always seems like there's something to do or see. And the subway was great! Hehe. The only other equivalent would be London, IMHO... although people always seem to complain about the weather. :P

Perhaps I'm a little biased but I also think the same of my home town (Melbourne, Australia) but we don't get anywhere near the same number of international tours happening. :P And the public transport can be kinda shit sometimes.

Last edited by AshDLS; 01-19-2006 at 03:21 PM..
Old 01-20-2006, 03:17 AM   #24
Blndsk4

I can wait to see you guys. This show is gonna kick ass. There isnt too much to do outside of Boston, but if you have some cash you could check out the Boston Museum of Science. They have some really cool stuff there, like the Omni Theater. :D
Blndsk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #25
Transient
i wont

Quote:
To Transient: See you on Valentine´s day. If we´re have a chat after the show I guess we both have had some beers and we can tell some old viking tales in Norwegian:)
jupp, men jeg kan ikke ha et øl...jeg er 17 :/
Old 01-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #26
METAL QUEEN

If any of you are hockey fans, there's the Hockey Hall Of Fame to visit in Toronto.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #27
---

in Fayetteville, NC, the venue is in the back of a strip mall in the middle of nowhere...well a residential area but outside of the city. they venue might not feed you either, so you are stuck with Chinese or Food Lion (grocery). don't try to spend much time here it's not the greatest area.

i've not been to the Social, but Myrtle Beach is typically putt-putt golf, strip clubs, cheap souviners. i would suggest actually taking the short walk out to the beach. as long as its not biker weekend you are in good shape. and if you swing through the small town of Calabash, NC (right over the border on your way north) it is quite famous for its seafood.

Baltimore has a great aquarium and Norfolk (next to VA Beach) has a science-y ocean themed place called Nauticus.
--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:19 AM   #28
Transient
i wont

ah the boston aquariam is awesome too! and the museum of air and space in DC
Old 01-23-2006, 06:16 AM   #29
Kenneth Silden

Øl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
jupp, men jeg kan ikke ha et øl...jeg er 17 :/
Vel, da får jeg ta en øl mens du tar en cola :devil:
Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #30
pinktaco713

lol.

well hopefully u guys get to come to south florida. cause if ya dont. ur gonna miss out on alot down in the sunny state.

well at least here in Miami u could go to alot of great places.

im sure u guys would love south beach, especially during a drumcircle...its amazing.
The area is known for its hip clubs and wild nightlife as well as numerous excellent restaurants

and u hav to take a drive down Ocean Drive.

also ft.lauderdale downtown has a bunch of great clubs and venues. and very sexi gurls in very kool looking bars.

u can also go to the Grove. the great Coconut Grove.

or u can go shoping at Bal harbor. very famous for its huge variety of stores.

there is more to the wonders of Vice City. the only way to see is if u bring Green Carnation down here....please.
pinktaco713 is offline   Reply With Quote