SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 10-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Chilidem
Sicknessament

Recording PC

I'm in the market for a new computer for recording. My current PC is running 2 GB Ram, processor with ~2.1 GHz, and I have a 500 GB hard drive. I'm currently using Reaper, with Superior Drummer 2.0 and Metal Foundry, Izotope Alloy and Ozone, and using some other random plug-ins for effects. I have a Lexicon Lambda for my audio interface, but it's suited me well thus far and I have no need to upgrade yet. Maybe in the future.

Composition wise, I'm not doing anything too crazy. The tracks usually will run up to 6 guitar/bass tracks, midi drums with SD 2.0, and a few vocals tracks. I am thinking about running some other virtual instruments in the future, but it's not a necessity as of right now. I'm thinking about getting a PC with at minimum 8 GB of RAM (I've heard that this is actually overkill with music production), Intel processor i5 or better, and 500 GB to 1 TB hard drive.

Anything else I should take into consideration? Anyone that has any experience with this, I would greatly appreciate any insight.

Last edited by Chilidem; 10-03-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Chilidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Grindhead Records
Designated Driver

Re: Recording PC

I'd consider getting two HDs. You run the program off one drive and have it write your recordings to the other drive.

8 gb of RAM is pretty ridiculous.

Focus on soundcards and monitors!
Grindhead Records is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Chilidem
Sicknessament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindhead Records View Post
I'd consider getting two HDs. You run the program off one drive and have it write your recordings to the other drive.

8 gb of RAM is pretty ridiculous.

Focus on soundcards and monitors!
Ok. I'll look into the two hard drive thing. Would an external work or would I want to get a second internal drive?

8 gb of RAM is just sort of planning for the future in case I start doing my virtual instruments. Superior Drummer can use about 2 GB if you really stretch it.

I'm sticking with my soundcard for now and will be getting a second monitor.
Chilidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Grindhead Records
Designated Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilidem View Post
Ok. I'll look into the two hard drive thing. Would an external work or would I want to get a second internal drive?

8 gb of RAM is just sort of planning for the future in case I start doing my virtual instruments. Superior Drummer can use about 2 GB if you really stretch it.

I'm sticking with my soundcard for now and will be getting a second monitor.
An external could work, but then it becomes about data transfer speeds. Would you have USB3 ports? I still don't know if that compares to a 2nd internal drive...

I figured the 8gb would be for such a thing. You can always bounce down stuff if you need to put more virtual instruments in. As long as you keep the working files separate, then if you need to go back to remix your bounce, it's easy.
Grindhead Records is offline   Reply With Quote