SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Severed Savior

Severed Savior Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Fleshless408

New's?

Hey mike, huge severed savior fan I was wondering what was going on with the band any new's or material or other projects? Another thing is would you be interested in making a technical death metal instructional book? I bought a Instructional tapping book from Chris Arp from Psyopus fantastic stuff worth every penny.
Fleshless408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Leopold Stotch
Professor Chaos

You might wanna look here
http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=227090
and here
http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=230313
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Fleshless408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
Appreciate the link, now for the 2nd part of my question.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleshless408 View Post
Appreciate the link, now for the 2nd part of my question.
I've never really thought much about doing a technical death metal instructional book or something like that. It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well it would translate into book form. Something like the tapping book Chris did (which I have not seen, only heard about) seems like it would work better cause it's teaching something very specific. A technical death metal book would have to cover a lot of ground. Grinding (trem picking), palm muted 8th notes (or 16th notes depending on how you are counting the time), vibrato, string skipping, sweep picking, basic chug rhythm playing, scales, arpeggios, non-standard chords (breaking out of the power chord box). As well as some form and technique lessons/ideas.
Most of these things have been covered countless times in various instructional formats by so many people. Though maybe never in a specific context of technical brutal death metal. Another thing. As valuable as some books and tablature are, there's a huge difference between learning some notes, and playing them "correctly". There's only so much you can explain in text and tablature in terms or phrasing, or making notes or passages sound right.
I dunno. It's an interesting idea. And I'll give it more thought. I'm just not sure if it's something that will be good for a book format, or if I'm the right guy for the job.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Fleshless408

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert View Post
I've never really thought much about doing a technical death metal instructional book or something like that. It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well it would translate into book form. Something like the tapping book Chris did (which I have not seen, only heard about) seems like it would work better cause it's teaching something very specific. A technical death metal book would have to cover a lot of ground. Grinding (trem picking), palm muted 8th notes (or 16th notes depending on how you are counting the time), vibrato, string skipping, sweep picking, basic chug rhythm playing, scales, arpeggios, non-standard chords (breaking out of the power chord box). As well as some form and technique lessons/ideas.
Most of these things have been covered countless times in various instructional formats by so many people. Though maybe never in a specific context of technical brutal death metal. Another thing. As valuable as some books and tablature are, there's a huge difference between learning some notes, and playing them "correctly". There's only so much you can explain in text and tablature in terms or phrasing, or making notes or passages sound right.
I dunno. It's an interesting idea. And I'll give it more thought. I'm just not sure if it's something that will be good for a book format, or if I'm the right guy for the job.
Yeah, you make a really good point I appreciate you taking my suggestion for consideration. Why not a tab book of servile insurrection? then a breakdown of the songs? that way you already have a CD someone could follow along with. Sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel, hope everything get's better I used to have a small case of carpal tunnel and tendinitis really bad in my forearm. After I got into weightlifting it seemed to go away occasionally I get a flair up but it's so far and in between it's hardly worth mentioning. A good website is dieselcrew.com they have alot of cool exercises and one of the area's they specialize is grip strength. Low strength baby aspirin might help. Another option, im definitely not pushing it by any means but maybe if you could get your hands on a pro hormone or a natural testosterone booster like tribulus terretes sorry if thats spelled incorrectly that might help, best of luck.

Last edited by Fleshless408; 03-01-2010 at 04:30 PM..
Old 03-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleshless408 View Post
Yeah, you make a really good point I appreciate you taking my suggestion for consideration. Why not a tab book of servile insurrection? then a breakdown of the songs? that way you already have a CD someone could follow along with. Sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel, hope everything get's better I used to have a small case of carpal tunnel and tendinitis really bad in my forearm. After I got into weightlifting it seemed to go away occasionally I get a flair up but it's so far and in between it's hardly worth mentioning. A good website is dieselcrew.com they have alot of cool exercises and one of the area's they specialize is grip strength. Low strength baby aspirin might help. Another option, im definitely not pushing it by any means but maybe if you could get your hands on a pro hormone or a natural testosterone booster like tribulus terretes sorry if thats spelled incorrectly that might help, best of luck.
Well, I'm tabbing out the whole album one song at a time via power tab. And like the Question tab, I'll be releasing them to the public as they are done. I think the power tab format is a better learning tool than just plain tablature cause you can hear what you see, and set tempo markers yourself so you can practice along with it at a comfortable speed, etc. A tab book for SI would be cool. But I guess I feel that stuff like that is a little pretentious, for lack of a better word. I kinda feel like bands that do that in this scene are just trying to milk as much money from what little fame they have. And I'm fine with just releasing power tabs for free.
For those people who enjoy SI and want some insight into the songs, I wish there was an easy way for me to discuss the ideas that were involved in writing the music, and be able to like you said, breakdown the songs and explain how certain riffs are related and based off other riffs, etc. Again I think this kind of stuff is best explained in video or in person rather than book format.
Thanks for the info on the wrist problem. I've tried a bunch of shit already. Hand/wrist specific exercises, and it hurt like fuck. And they even said If this hurts doing this, stop. It's beyond all that shit. I've tried supplements, and just about everything except surgery. Which is the next step. Thanks though, I appreciate it.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote