SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #31
Phoncible

Quote:
Originally Posted by label thief View Post
i use all gold plated for out front of my amp. just monster and planet waves. planet waves are a tad cheaper.
for shit in the FX Loop.. its whatever. anything lifetime warranty is good. proformance cables are fine with me.
why gold plated for out front of your amp? the thin gold layer doesnt do it all, and wears down with something as frequently moved as an instrument cable!
Phoncible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #32
label thief
find them, kill them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoncible View Post
why gold plated for out front of your amp? the thin gold layer doesnt do it all, and wears down with something as frequently moved as an instrument cable!
i just don't care about cables.
label thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #33
Phoncible

just seemed so set on it, hehe
Phoncible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #34
GrindYourMind
Jedi Master

Mogami. Instrument Cables are ridiculously expensive nowadays. I always feel a little dirty after I spend 40 dollars on one.
GrindYourMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #35
Ouroboros
Nescient

Make your own.

A fucking monkey could learn how to solder something basic like a cable.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #36
F0RBIDDEN

I can't solder to save my fucking life, no matter how many times I try. I can't figure out how the fuck you hold a soldering iron, a spool of solder, and both wires you are trying to connect all at the same time when you only have 2 hands.
F0RBIDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #37
M.Gilbert

My thoughts...
Stay away from the cheapest cables. Obviously. Your signal is only as good as the weakest link. The mid-priced good quality cables are all very similar in tone and noise levels. But where they differ mainly is in microphonics and flexibility.
The George-L cables with the solderless connectors are the only mid-priced cables I advise people NOT to use. The solderless connectors are very prone to introducing noise. As well, the George-L cables are very microphonic. Meaning, if you use one as your guitar to amp cable, you can hear when the cable moves around on the ground or drops and hits the ground even a few inches.
My favorite mid-priced cable is Mogami 2524. I prefer to make my own using Nuetrik connectors. This cable is very durable, with good flexibility, and compared to all others in this price range, it performs average or above average in terms of tone quality, and noise. Buying it in bulk, at something like 0.85 cents per foot, with some high quality Nuetrik connectors is the way to go for wiring racks, IMO. Plus, having a rack full of wires that are only the length they need to be helps in noise reduction and cleanliness of wiring.
As far as the high priced, super high quality cables go. There IS a noticeable difference. In this catagory, Evidence Audio cables are my favorite.
I have previously owned the Lyric HG guitar to amp cable and you can actually hear an improvement in tone and noise reduction. It's not drastic, but every little thing adds up in the end. You might notice slightly less high end presence when compared to other mid range cables, but it is a more natural sound, which has slightly more clarity throughout the frequency range. The only reason I do not own or use this particular cable anymore is that it is too stiff. It tends to want to return to it's coiled state which can be very annoying. On the other hand, I do still use the Evidence Audio Siren speaker cables, which work awesome. Once again, you can actually hear a slight improvement in tone with this speaker cable when compared to mid priced cables.
Bottom line, and what I recommend is using something either Mogami 2524 or Canare for guitar to amp. They perform just slightly better than Monster (tone/noise) IMO. If you are just going to use a cable for recording, or in the studio, Evidence Lyric HG is ideal.
Try to use the same cable throughout your system, not having a single cheaper cable anywhere in the chain. And for speaker cable, Evidence Audio Siren's are the way to go. But the Monster speaker cable is very good as well. Do not settle for cheap speaker cables. You might as well use cheap cable throughout if you use cheap speaker cable.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #38
AllP0werToSlaves
Riff-tastic

I've actually been using really high end Ibanez cables, and they sound fantastic.
AllP0werToSlaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #39
Ouroboros
Nescient

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert View Post
I have previously owned the Lyric HG guitar to amp cable
Those cables use the ground in a typical XLR cable attached to the sleeve of a TS like I was explaining before. Very easy to make, and there is a big difference in signal and noise reduction compared to the typical hot/cold only 1/4" cable.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #40
Ouroboros
Nescient

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN View Post
I can't solder to save my fucking life, no matter how many times I try. I can't figure out how the fuck you hold a soldering iron, a spool of solder, and both wires you are trying to connect all at the same time when you only have 2 hands.
A pair of plyers with the nose angled upwards at the tip. That way you can lay it on your desk, pinch the cable with it and do your soldering. Or, get a soldering station, as they usually have some sort of mount for the wiring.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:43 PM   #41
F0RBIDDEN

I'll have to look into it... learning how to solder is going to be an invaluable skill as a musician/engineer haha...
F0RBIDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #42
INCINERATE
Brutal Death

I just purchased a 10' Evidence Lyric HG through lavacable.com. I'll let ya know what I think of it. I wanted something fairly high end for recording purposes.
INCINERATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #43
your_stigmata
ARCHITECT

monster cable is the way to fucking go
your_stigmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #44
untitled

wrong
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote