SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
NotIncin
Coma's a douche

Bass: pick vs. fingers?

I have played guitar for a long time and want to try my hand at bass. I have always used a pick for guitar and on Bass it just sounds so much cleaner. I have also heard a lot of bass players say that to use a pick is cheating. For most death metal doesnt the bass player just play what the guitar is doing anyway?
NotIncin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
InertialGrind

I mean isn`t Mr. Casperson playing on your new cd ? He kills it man.
InertialGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Phoncible

easy. whatever floats your boats!
Phoncible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
shroudofimpurity

both. like Murray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
shroudofimpurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
INCINERATE
Brutal Death

As for finger playing, I think if you've got a good bass tone, that's not all muddy, and you're hitting the notes cleanly, you should be able to hear the notes fairly well. Look at Erlend's playing for instance.

But no matter who you are, I think if you use a pick it's going to sound like it has a faster attack. On the other hand if you use a pick, you're always going to be thought of as a guitarist that's playing a bass. At least that's what crosses my mind whenever I see a bassist using a pick.
INCINERATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCINERATE View Post
As for finger playing, I think if you've got a good bass tone, that's not all muddy, and you're hitting the notes cleanly, you should be able to hear the notes fairly well. Look at Erlend's playing for instance.
hahaha... not many fools play like dirty Erlend!!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
INCINERATE
Brutal Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroudofimpurity View Post
Honestly, after seeing all the death metal bands I have seen over the years, I've concluded that most death metal bassists suck imo. Erlend just happens to be damn good, so he blows most bassists out of the sky with ease.

Finding a quality bassist is damn near impossible.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Phoncible

Quote:

But no matter who you are, I think if you use a pick it's going to sound like it has a faster attack. On the other hand if you use a pick, you're always going to be thought of as a guitarist that's playing a bass. At least that's what crosses my mind whenever I see a bassist using a pick.
what do you mean by faster attack? i recon for really fast playing, its easier to hear the attack if you use fingers, whereas a pick usually shines more through on slower stuff. fingers also generally sound fatter to me. its just two completely different things.
Phoncible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Honestly, after seeing all the death metal bands I have seen over the years, I've concluded that most death metal bassists suck imo. Erlend just happens to be damn good, so he blows most bassists out of the sky with ease
Murray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
INCINERATE
Brutal Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoncible View Post
what do you mean by faster attack? i recon for really fast playing, its easier to hear the attack if you use fingers, whereas a pick usually shines more through on slower stuff. fingers also generally sound fatter to me. its just two completely different things.
I guess what I mean is that when a pick hits a string and then leaves that string, along with the fact that a pick is harder and touches less surface area on the string, it's typically going to attack the string faster and cleaner than a finger.

A finger is wider, and much softer, and is typically going to be on the string for a longer duration of time when it's hitting a string than a pick would be.

I don't play bass though, so I could be wrong.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd totally prefer a good finger player over a pick player. But I'd take a good pick player over a slow/sloppy finger player.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
INCINERATE
Brutal Death

Quote:
Murray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Oh yeah, he's a good bassist as well. So is Risha, the dude from Inherit Disease, the dude from Origin, and many others I'm sure.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #12
InertialGrind

Mike Flores is inaudible except for that little fill in Mental Torment (III version). Live he is really clangy, loud, doin all sorts of acrobatic shit. Not sure what to think. Hmmmmm. Cool ass dude though.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
ChAAPY
it's one louder

it's not cheating if you play with a pick. it's just a different sound. go with whichever one you want.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #14
stabwound
Corpsefiend

Murray fucking rules. He was originally a guitarist right? That guy from braindrill is pretty fucking good too.
stabwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #15
mikeb
Dr. Michael Gorod

It all comes down to preference really. There are advantages to each way of playing. Personally, I prefer finger style as it allows for more creative options: tapping, slapping ect.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #16
InertialGrind

New cephalic carnage dude is amazing.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:25 AM   #17
BZM
desolate

Yeah, Cephalic's new bassist is absolutely nuts... Ion Dissonance's old bass player was pretty nuts, but he plays with Negativa now so it's all good \m/. And of course let's not forget Mr. Derek Boyer...

but yeah, I've always been a big jazz fusion guy, etc, so I've always preferred the tone of fingers personally... I'm all about Sean Malone, Digorgio, etc when it comes to that nasty fretless bass tone... mmmm.
BZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:51 AM   #18
Vriend
Afro Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
There are advantages to each way of playing. Personally, I prefer finger style
The attack of a pick can be usefull, but I just play fingerstyle. It feels more natural to me sort of speak. More connection with the bass you know.
Vriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:57 AM   #19
Disincarnate
Uroboric Forms

Location: The Planet That Once Used To Absorb Flesh In Order To Achieve Divinity And Immortality (Suffocated To The Flesh That It Desired...)
Fuck all the people who say bassists playing with a pick is cheating. thats bull.Personally i use 3 fingers since ive always been a huge Steve Digiorgio fan and seeing him i picked up the bass directly and not even touched the guitar.

Use whatever pick/fingers or whatever the fuck that guy from behmoth uses as long as your comfortable in the way your playing and can play what you want to play.try out everything.see what suits you best.its all personal preference at the end of the day.

If you are thinking about playing with your fingers then youll need alot of practice to play 16ths at 240.what i suggest is that since youll be starting off with bass and arent used to playing with your fingers then use a pick and in the mean time practice the 3 finger or 4 finger technique to nail the speed at which you guys play.

EDIT:read my sig :P

Last edited by Disincarnate; 11-08-2007 at 05:00 AM..
Disincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #20
Erland
tvÄ i tarmen!

Quote:

And I just got out of the shower and then I see this Give Matt a Fail, Mike ( or maybe my socks stunk up your tour-van last year? :S )
Erland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #21
HeapsofRob
Kill The Elite

I play both ways and both have advantages in certain situations. I started out playing with a pick because I started on guitar and found it easier. Fingerstyle sounds better to my ears, I used to like the sound you get from a pick but lately I 'm sick of it.
HeapsofRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #22
NotIncin
Coma's a douche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disincarnate View Post
If you are thinking about playing with your fingers then youll need alot of practice to play 16ths at 240.what i suggest is that since youll be starting off with bass and arent used to playing with your fingers then use a pick and in the mean time practice the 3 finger or 4 finger technique to nail the speed at which you guys play.

EDIT:read my sig :P
That is what I have been doing but man my fingers are slow!! It seems I can do 16ths on a single note relatively fast but going to do any type of string skipping or a scale and it turns to mush.

The one thing I noticed about our old bass player who a lot of people said was great and stuff was during fast parts be was full on inaudible but during slow heavy parts he was loud and in your face where with a pick it seems to be more of a constant sound.

And yes Matt, Murray is sick and live they are an insanely tight band as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #23
NotIncin
Coma's a douche

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertialGrind View Post
I mean isn`t Mr. Casperson playing on your new cd ? He kills it man.
Yes Erlend will be on the cd- this is not for Incinerate. I can't sing and play an instrument, let alone play the new material Scott is writing. At this point i'm just not that good.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #24
Subjugate
Constant motion

i wouldnt say using a pick for bass is cheating, though originally i believe it was meant for your fingers.I like the sound of using your fingers better anyway
Subjugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #25
GrindYourMind
Jedi Master

Do whatever suits you. Don't listen to anyone who talks about cheating or anything but if you want to be a showoff, you can do more with your bare hands.
GrindYourMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #26
ChAAPY
it's one louder

does anyone else kind of chuckle when they see a bass player playing a 6 string bass with a pick?
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #27
JohnnyJihad

Haha, yeah it is pretty funny.

Anyway I think your choice in picking style is what you make of it. I believe each style has a different sound and can be used as a means to whatever end you're trying to achieve.

I personally prefer the idea of playing with your fingers, and that's what I do. However it seems like it's much harder to sound good that way (playing fast that is).

I need more practice.
JohnnyJihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #28
telephonemoose

i just know that because picks are skinnier they can tremolo faster than fingers, and metal defintely has a lot of tremolo. but if you want to skip strings, fingers are the way to go... or you can play cliassical guitar and get the best of both worlds with fingernails
telephonemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #29
InertialGrind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incin View Post
Yes Erlend will be on the cd- this is not for Incinerate. I can't sing and play an instrument, let alone play the new material Scott is writing. At this point i'm just not that good.
I meant aren`t you in touch with him ? I think if I had to pick a jedi master to train me, he`d be the one.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 AM   #30
Disincarnate
Uroboric Forms

Location: The Planet That Once Used To Absorb Flesh In Order To Achieve Divinity And Immortality (Suffocated To The Flesh That It Desired...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incin View Post
That is what I have been doing but man my fingers are slow!! It seems I can do 16ths on a single note relatively fast but going to do any type of string skipping or a scale and it turns to mush.

The one thing I noticed about our old bass player who a lot of people said was great and stuff was during fast parts be was full on inaudible but during slow heavy parts he was loud and in your face where with a pick it seems to be more of a constant sound.

And yes Matt, Murray is sick and live they are an insanely tight band as well.
all i can say is to practice ,practice and practice some more.
try playing 321321 without galloping,use a metronome and increase slowly.
I thing that helped me become faster and increse my right hand strnght is that when your not practicing on your bass do the 321 pattern on the table,chair where ever your sitting.
and for the 16ths bit to become audible try hitting the strings harder like Mr Caspersen.
Disincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote