SMNnews Forums  


Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion


Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #91
TheFranMan
Fetus Eater
 
TheFranMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,827
Rep Power: 19 TheFranMan slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedsofthesuffering View Post
yeah the caparison is really cool, imo. Quality throughout, heavier than most, but I like it that way. Neck wouldn't suit Ibanez freaks - it's a bit thicker than that.
The standard pickups rule.
Only thing I don't like is the odd location of the cable input, but you soon get used to it.
I have no probably at all with heavier guitars, especially since I know that they won't have a thin sound. How would you compare it to say a Jackson neck? I'm really used to my RR1 neck, but anything close would do.
TheFranMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #92
BZM
desolate
 
BZM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kennewick
Posts: 15,300
Rep Power: 30 BZM slam gang member
-Gibson SG Cherry Faded serial 02994635 w/ EMG 81 in bridge, stock in neck

-Emerald Green RG450 Korean w/ stock pickups and maple fretboard, currently in the shop

-A V-Amp 2 (with a currently broke-ass power supply that doesn't even fucking work)

And that's it.
BZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #93
Orkestra
FUCKINGWOLFSHIRTFUCK
 
Orkestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London
Posts: 5,690
Rep Power: 20 Orkestra slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranMan View Post
I have no probably at all with heavier guitars, especially since I know that they won't have a thin sound. How would you compare it to say a Jackson neck? I'm really used to my RR1 neck, but anything close would do.


Dude, go down and play an Ibanez PGM model neck, they're pretty much Capirison territory. Jackson wise, sort of, but a little less flat... more of a C backshape than the Jackson/Ibanez D
Orkestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #94
Andromalius
Registered User
 
Andromalius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 655
Rep Power: 13 Andromalius slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holo View Post
Jackson DXMG
- Transparent Black
- EMG-HZ
I recently purchased the DXMG, great guitar i love it and it is such a steal for the price it is at, but i wasent too impressed with the EMG-HZ's so i ripped em out and put some Dimarzio Evolution's in.
Andromalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #95
seraphicdecay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: nor cal mendo, Cali
Posts: 5
Rep Power: 0 seraphicdecay slam gang member
tour rig-
line 6 spider valve head
mesa recto oversize 412
boss noise gate
bc rich jr V neck thru
jackson kevin bonds sig rhoads
ESP Ax350
monster studio pro 1000

everything else-
Engl Powerball
Mesa mark III
Marshall JMP 50 watt head

Various pedals-
ISP gate
rocktron gate
peavey fx pedal
Digitech pitch pedal
electro harmonix boost

Guitars- neck thru/glue in
PRS custom 22
85 gibby LP
82 bc rich bich supreme
80s bc rich stealth
80s bc rich ironbird
bc rich V
Jackson Rhoads sig
esp ax 350
almost everything is loaded with dimarzio p/u

Bolts
Conklin groove tools 7 string
80s Fender floyd rose strat
fender birdseye maple neck strat

shitty acoustic guitar
seraphicdecay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #96
epitaph
Registered User
 
epitaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,124
Rep Power: 17 epitaph beat up jewski
Most happen with these two:

Have a bass or three more, keyboard and some other stuff
epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #97
epitaph
Registered User
 
epitaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,124
Rep Power: 17 epitaph beat up jewski
I found my Spector NS2A today:
epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #98
Orkestra
FUCKINGWOLFSHIRTFUCK
 
Orkestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London
Posts: 5,690
Rep Power: 20 Orkestra slam gang member
now using this live:




Boosted with a Boss GE-7 EQ Pedal and an SD-1 for lead work.

This.amp.has.soul.
Orkestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #99
F0RBIDDEN
Registered User
 
F0RBIDDEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cambridge, Ontario
Posts: 4,102
Rep Power: 20 F0RBIDDEN slam gang member
I'll take some pics next time I'm home of all my current guitar + recording shit... My guitar gear is fuckin MINIMAL these days... 2 guitars, 5150, cab and a Voodoolab Sparkle Drive... Gonna be adding a Single Rec and Mesa Standard 4x12 cab soon though! Plus I'm buying back my SLSMG! Fuck yeah.
F0RBIDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #100
Pwnsauce
Registered User
 
Pwnsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,604
Rep Power: 24 Pwnsauce slam gang member
Ibanez RG550 (Standard)
Ibanez RG1527 (Bb)
Jackson DXMG (B)
Ibanez RG2228 (Impulse buy; plan on selling it sometime)
PODxt
5150 (Hardly use this though; hopefully I will when I start recording or gigging)
Pwnsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #101
modern death
Hails
 
modern death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 13,134
Rep Power: 28 modern death beat up jewski



Shit quality, and that is Lyle's cabinet. Getting a vader in the coming month.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #102
Logic
what
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 13 Logic slam gang member
Mind if you post your amp settings?
Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #103
modern death
Hails
 
modern death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 13,134
Rep Power: 28 modern death beat up jewski
Sure, they're never the same. But right now for my room here, it's

Gain: 10 o'clock
Bass: 11 o clock
Mid: 10 o'clock
Treble: 2 o'clock
Presence: 12 o'clock

Ultra Gain off
Bright off
Depth off
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #104
Logic
what
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 13 Logic slam gang member
Thanks my whore.
Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #105
epitaph
Registered User
 
epitaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,124
Rep Power: 17 epitaph beat up jewski
I got this for a smokin' deal a few days ago:


Trying to move it now. I'm hoping I can sell it for around 1300€, which means I'd get around 700€ profit = no summerjobs for me
epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #106
label thief
find them, kill them
 
label thief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,082
Rep Power: 0 label thief is an unknown quantity at this point
photos of mah rig... plus the sick band room.







label thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #107
label thief
find them, kill them
 
label thief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,082
Rep Power: 0 label thief is an unknown quantity at this point




^will be mine soon..

also have a tremelo pedal..phase 90.. some other pedals around..
label thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #108
Chilidem
Sicknessament
 
Chilidem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,280
Rep Power: 18 Chilidem beat up jewski
Quote:
Originally Posted by label thief View Post
I think I am going to buy me one of them Orange cabs this summer.
Chilidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:17 AM   #109
Living Monstrosity
Cosmic Sea
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 85
Rep Power: 13 Living Monstrosity slam gang member
mine isnt that impressive. But it gets the job done, and keeps me satisfied till I get some more money.

Jackson Dinky w/ stock EMGS

Peavey Ultra Plus head
Peavey XXX cab

Crate Combo 2 12x (bedroom amp/ practice)
Boss tuner, Boss Chorus, Boss Reverb, Boss OC3, Boss DD6, VOX wah

Sure SM57, Line 6 tone port (only used as an imput, no mod)

Monster cables
Living Monstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #110
Orkestra
FUCKINGWOLFSHIRTFUCK
 
Orkestra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London
Posts: 5,690
Rep Power: 20 Orkestra slam gang member
What im using live atm:

JCM 800 w/6CA7's
EQ TO boost the front end for a touch more saturation
a 500k volume pot in a pedal so I can get a clean tone (cleanish) out of the 2203
Budda Wah

Orkestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #111
egdeltar
I say hella, hella
 
egdeltar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: seattle
Posts: 3,081
Rep Power: 18 egdeltar slam gang member
2 of these:



Main guitars for now:

egdeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #112
Jeremy.
Registered User
 
Jeremy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,070
Rep Power: 15 Jeremy. slam gang member
Doesn't feel like much looking at all of the gear everyone has here! But this is mine.



Krank Rev 1+ Head.
Marshall JCM800 lead series 4X12 Cab. W/ Vintage 30's.
Ltd Viper-407 7 string guitar. EMG 81-7 and 707 pickups.

I have an Ibanez performance acoustic, but I rarely use it.

Going to upgrade to a VHT or krank cab when I get some extra cash, and start putting together a rack. Also, going to try out some duncan blackouts. I'll probably get a custom shop ESP next year.

Last edited by Jeremy.; 04-26-2008 at 01:20 AM..
Jeremy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:25 AM   #113
JohnnyJihad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,083
Rep Power: 21 JohnnyJihad slam gang member
I like that axe.
JohnnyJihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #114
stuh84
Ramses kills
 
stuh84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 0 stuh84 slam gang member
Can I play? :D







Engl Invader 150 (bought two days ago)
Engl Standard 4x12 Cab (bought two days ago)
ESP/LTD M207 7 string guitar
Jackson RR7R 7 string guitar
HBE Germania treble booster
ISP Decimator noise gate pedal (bought two days ago)
TC Electronics G Major
Behringer FCB1010 foot controller


Also, my first real amp, the Thunder 50, which is going to a new home in about 6 weeks :)

Just need a couple of bits, and the live set up will be complete
stuh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #115
INCINERATE
Brutal Death
 
INCINERATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,876
Rep Power: 17 INCINERATE slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuh84 View Post
Can I play? :D







Engl Invader 150 (bought two days ago)
Engl Standard 4x12 Cab (bought two days ago)
ESP/LTD M207 7 string guitar
Jackson RR7R 7 string guitar
HBE Germania treble booster
ISP Decimator noise gate pedal (bought two days ago)
TC Electronics G Major
Behringer FCB1010 foot controller


Also, my first real amp, the Thunder 50, which is going to a new home in about 6 weeks :)

Just need a couple of bits, and the live set up will be complete
Damn, looks like someone dropped some major cash "two days ago".

Cool to see someone else with an Invader (I have the Invader 100). How do you like that Invader 150? Does it have good tones for death metal? I was told by Derek as Rock Solid Amps not to get the 150 because the 100 had better tone for death metal. So I'm curious what you have to say about the 150.

That ENGL cab looks really small to me. How do you like it?
INCINERATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #116
stuh84
Ramses kills
 
stuh84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 0 stuh84 slam gang member
Good tones for death metal? In absolute spades. This thing absolutely decimates for death metal. The only reason I think people are saying get the Invader 100 instead is because of how its easier to get to power tube saturation.

However, I'm not just a death metaller, I'm a progger just as much as I'm into death metal, so I want that clear tone you can only get when the power tubes aren't burning up, so this fits the bill for me better than the Invader 100 would.

Saying that though, I've not had chance to A/B them, but the Invader 150 nailed the EXACT tone that was in my head, not even close to it, it was absolutely spot on what I always heard when I was composing, so I had to get it (been waiting since November to get it :()

Now I just gotta get a couple more things and I'm all done for my live and recording rig. The bits to complete it are a MIDI controlled looper/signal router for pedals, rack, power conditioner, tuner, and new floorboard. Tonally, theres nothing else I could want. I just want to make the rig exactly as it should be for live use, the one click and everything changes route, not a touch of tap dancing.


Edit: Sorry, didn't reply about the cab part. Look small? I dunno, it doesn't to me, you using Vader cabs by any chance? In terms of sound though, huge. Its tight, smooth yet punchy, great highs, bright but not harsh or brittle, and this thing, if you set the amp for it (i.e. badly), you can kill people with bass. However, I aint the kind to overtake the bassists job, so my depth control on the amp is set to 0, most it goes to is 2 :)

Last edited by stuh84; 04-27-2008 at 07:13 PM..
stuh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #117
modern death
Hails
 
modern death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 13,134
Rep Power: 28 modern death beat up jewski
How does the cabinet sound?
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #118
stuh84
Ramses kills
 
stuh84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 0 stuh84 slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_second_infinity View Post
How does the cabinet sound?
Read my ninja edit :)
stuh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #119
INCINERATE
Brutal Death
 
INCINERATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,876
Rep Power: 17 INCINERATE slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuh84 View Post
Good tones for death metal? In absolute spades. This thing absolutely decimates for death metal. The only reason I think people are saying get the Invader 100 instead is because of how its easier to get to power tube saturation.

However, I'm not just a death metaller, I'm a progger just as much as I'm into death metal, so I want that clear tone you can only get when the power tubes aren't burning up, so this fits the bill for me better than the Invader 100 would.

Saying that though, I've not had chance to A/B them, but the Invader 150 nailed the EXACT tone that was in my head, not even close to it, it was absolutely spot on what I always heard when I was composing, so I had to get it (been waiting since November to get it :()

Now I just gotta get a couple more things and I'm all done for my live and recording rig. The bits to complete it are a MIDI controlled looper/signal router for pedals, rack, power conditioner, tuner, and new floorboard. Tonally, theres nothing else I could want. I just want to make the rig exactly as it should be for live use, the one click and everything changes route, not a touch of tap dancing.


Edit: Sorry, didn't reply about the cab part. Look small? I dunno, it doesn't to me, you using Vader cabs by any chance? In terms of sound though, huge. Its tight, smooth yet punchy, great highs, bright but not harsh or brittle, and this thing, if you set the amp for it (i.e. badly), you can kill people with bass. However, I aint the kind to overtake the bassists job, so my depth control on the amp is set to 0, most it goes to is 2 :)
Cool man, you're the only other person on these forums that I know of with an Invader head, so I had to ask what you thought of the 150. Yeah I'm pretty much just a death metal dude, and the 100 is prefect for me.

Yeah, I use the Invader 100 with two 4x12 Vader cabs. I just looked at mine and they are about 1.5" wider (on each side) than my Invader head. Perhaps they are considered oversized or something.

I've also got a HUSH Super C, which I'm going to eventually sell to be replaced by a Decimator rack unit. And I'm still on the waiting list (for 6 months now) for a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra. I also have the Behringer FCB1010 foot controller. Guitars are Jackson SL1 and Ibanez S-Series.
INCINERATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #120
stuh84
Ramses kills
 
stuh84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 29
Rep Power: 0 stuh84 slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCINERATE View Post
Cool man, you're the only other person on these forums that I know of with an Invader head, so I had to ask what you thought of the 150. Yeah I'm pretty much just a death metal dude, and the 100 is prefect for me.

Yeah, I use the Invader 100 with two 4x12 Vader cabs. I just looked at mine and they are about 1.5" wider (on each side) than my Invader head. Perhaps they are considered oversized or something.

I've also got a HUSH Super C, which I'm going to eventually sell to be replaced by a Decimator rack unit. And I'm still on the waiting list (for 6 months now) for a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra. I also have the Behringer FCB1010 foot controller. Guitars are Jackson SL1 and Ibanez S-Series.
I don't know of many people with the Invader 150 full stop, every forum I go on, everyones always saying the Invader 100 is better, but I know of none who have played both.

The Vaders are definitely oversized, I've seen pics of them compared to most cabs and they are huge compared. I still would like to get hold of one someday, but with no UK dealer, I'm a bit out of luck, and I don't have the space at this present time for one anyway :(

I've not tried the Decimator rack, but the pedal is mindblowingly good, so I can only imagine the rack version being even better.
stuh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
meef, teacup's avatar came




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SMNnews.com: 2002 -