SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 04-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
nigelwho
N/A

Buying a classical guitar

I'm looking into buying a classical guitar but know next to nothing about what to look for as far as wood, construction, brands etc. I'm going to be selling one of my electrics and will probably have around $1000 to work with. All links and advice welcome.
nigelwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
whiteworms

if you're planning on studying classical guitar, my advice would be to come up with 3k more and buy something like a carrington.
whiteworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
nigelwho
N/A

Can you tell me why?

I don't doubt you I'm just interested in what factors make one classical better than another. I'm not familiar with the building process like I am with electrics.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
whiteworms

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwho View Post
Can you tell me why?

I don't doubt you I'm just interested in what factors make one classical better than another. I'm not familiar with the building process like I am with electrics.
because that's about what it costs for a decent (and handmade) one. the mass produced ones just won't play as well as a competently handmade one. and the better an instrument you have, the better you will learn.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
BZM
desolate

lmao... there's not a whole lot of difference when it comes to the playability of a classical guitar... mainly spending more money will just get you better tone, but what do I know, my classical guitar cost me $100. It hasn't stopped me from learning classical pieces.
BZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
whiteworms

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZM View Post
lmao... there's not a whole lot of difference when it comes to the playability of a classical guitar... mainly spending more money will just get you better tone, but what do I know, my classical guitar cost me $100. It hasn't stopped me from learning classical pieces.
there's no nice way of saying this: you're totally wrong.

there's a huge difference in terms of playability, not just tone, between a $100 mass produced guitar and a $4000 handmade guitar.

and i didn't say you couldn't learn pieces, i just said you'll learn better because you'll be able to play better. why? because you won't be wasting a bunch of energy and developing bad habits to compensate for the instrument's shortcomings.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
nigelwho
N/A

I'm well aware that a handmade instrument well play and sound better than something that was CNC'd. What I'm asking is what are the different factors in a classical guitar that change its tone and playability. What should I look for? How do different bracings change quality or tone? Wood types, scale lengths?

Telling me to go spend $5000 on a guitar is not helpful as it was the same as saying "Handmades are better than production lines."

Now, do you actually know anything about classical guitars are you just going to drop names of the the most high end builders around?
Old 04-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
whiteworms

Quote:
I'm well aware that a handmade instrument well play and sound better than something that was CNC'd. What I'm asking is what are the different factors in a classical guitar that change its tone and playability. What should I look for? How do different bracings change quality or tone? Wood types, scale lengths?

Telling me to go spend $5000 on a guitar is not helpful as it was the same as saying "Handmades are better than production lines."

Now, do you actually know anything about classical guitars are you just going to drop names of the the most high end builders around?
rather than tell you what to look for (since a great deal of that is subjective), here's *how* i think you should go about shopping because, ultimately, it's going to be about what feels and sounds best to you.

1) play before you buy. i can talk about scale lengths out the ass and it won't do a truckload of jack because i have no idea what your physical dimensions are. as a rule, the shorter you are, the better. classical guitarists close to 6'0 tend to develop posture problems. if you're tall, you'll at least need to raise your left leg with a stool and possibly put a pillow between your chest and your guitar.

2) if at all possible, talk to the builder. if you can't, talk to a collector that owns a guitar from that luthier, preferably several. if you can't do that, talk to the dealer. often times, those guys know the builder personally and why the builder does what he does. they will be able to tell you far more and even give you an insight into the luthier's philosophy. (if you're feeling crafty, get the dealer to play for you. if his technique sucks, it's a safe bet he has no idea what he's talking about.)

3) before you make your decision, play some guitars you're not even considering. i could give you my opinion on lattice bracing, raised bridges and animal glue but it wouldn't matter unless you and i had the same ears, hands, shoulders and ideal sound in mind.

4) fuck you. i tried to make things simple. maybe next time you could be polite. plus, who the fuck would name drop a no name luthier in rockwall, texas? you're easily impressed.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
fornicationterrorist
5 guy creampie

Simultaneously, Dan could hear a wet sound as Will's stroking became
squishy with Ben's cum. That was all it took for Dan: his boner lurched
again, and he tried desperately to keep from moaning has the first shot of
his load fired into his boxers.
fornicationterrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
nigelwho
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteworms View Post
rather than tell you what to look for (since a great deal of that is subjective), here's *how* i think you should go about shopping because, ultimately, it's going to be about what feels and sounds best to you.

1) play before you buy. i can talk about scale lengths out the ass and it won't do a truckload of jack because i have no idea what your physical dimensions are. as a rule, the shorter you are, the better. classical guitarists close to 6'0 tend to develop posture problems. if you're tall, you'll at least need to raise your left leg with a stool and possibly put a pillow between your chest and your guitar.

2) if at all possible, talk to the builder. if you can't, talk to a collector that owns a guitar from that luthier, preferably several. if you can't do that, talk to the dealer. often times, those guys know the builder personally and why the builder does what he does. they will be able to tell you far more and even give you an insight into the luthier's philosophy. (if you're feeling crafty, get the dealer to play for you. if his technique sucks, it's a safe bet he has no idea what he's talking about.)

3) before you make your decision, play some guitars you're not even considering. i could give you my opinion on lattice bracing, raised bridges and animal glue but it wouldn't matter unless you and i had the same ears, hands, shoulders and ideal sound in mind.

4) fuck you. i tried to make things simple. maybe next time you could be polite. plus, who the fuck would name drop a no name luthier in rockwall, texas? you're easily impressed.
Thanks.

I'm 6'3 and even with electrics I always play with my left foot up on a box.

What you told me in the first post made nothing easy. In fact it was utterly useless. But this posts is better. I'm interested int educated opinions. Obviously we may have different tastes and ears, but an opinion from someone who knows classical guitars is to one degree or another useful.

I appreciate the post, but honestly saying 'Spend 3gs but X' isn't helpful...
Old 04-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #11
BZM
desolate

lmao, white worms you're right and wrong as well. I'm sure there's a difference in playability, but there's nothing you can learn on a $4000 guitar that you can't learn on a $100 guitar. a guitar is a fucking guitar.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #12
whiteworms

Quote:
lmao, white worms you're right and wrong as well. I'm sure there's a difference in playability, but there's nothing you can learn on a $4000 guitar that you can't learn on a $100 guitar. a guitar is a fucking guitar.
that's like saying "a car is a car, so there's nothing you can do in a dodge viper that you can't in a toyota prius."

Last edited by whiteworms; 04-15-2008 at 04:34 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 AM   #13
BZM
desolate

Right, because the amount of skill and control you have over driving a car is comparable in any way shape or form to the skill set associated with playing a musical instrument. A dodge viper has a much larger, more powerful engine than a prius. Upgrading from single coils to humbuckers will not make you play faster. Playing a guitar that's made out of koa isn't going to help you mute strings in an arpeggio any better. They're all made out of wood, metal, and bone. On a guitar that's poorly set up, or a PISS-POOR guitar you may have to struggle with bad fretwork/buzz or unreliable tuners, but to say you can't learn something because your guitar isn't good enough is just a cop-out excuse. I've been learning Defeated Sanity and Abhorrent songs on my korean RG, which cost me a whopping $175. It's sure as shit not a USA Jackson or a custom-made Carvin, but I learned a long time ago to stop making gear-related excuses. Will you possibly have to compensate for a guitar's inadequacies? Maybe. Will it definitively stop you from progressing? Only if that's your excuse. Does a classical guitar student -need- a $1000 guitar? I doubt it. A performer who needs to project to an entire concert hall, maybe, but for practicing in your bedroom an extra $1000 isn't going to make the difference between you learning Chaconne or not.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:07 AM   #14
egdeltar
I say hella, hella

Quote:
Due to classical guitars having low string tension the top bracing is generally a fan pattern. You would really have to start to looking at high dollar guitars from smaller builders to start to find different bracing patterns. So for you, the fan brace will do just fine as it most common.

The most common sound boards are made from spruce, red cedar, & mahogany. Spruce being the loudest and most brightest of them all. Red Cedar is softer in tone, same with mahogany. Best thing to get is a solid spruce top IMO. Also, the smaller the box, the louder and brighter the tone which I prefer.

As far as scale length, 25.6 is the standard for classical guitar. Again you would have to venture into more high dollar instruments to find a different scale length.

I suggest you pick a price range you are willing to spend and go to a guitar store and play every guitar they have in that range. Classical guitars are a very basic instrument. You will find that most of them all have the same exact features.

Last edited by egdeltar; 04-16-2008 at 03:09 AM..
egdeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
whiteworms

Quote:
Right, because the amount of skill and control you have over driving a car is comparable in any way shape or form to the skill set associated with playing a musical instrument. A dodge viper has a much larger, more powerful engine than a prius. Upgrading from single coils to humbuckers will not make you play faster. Playing a guitar that's made out of koa isn't going to help you mute strings in an arpeggio any better. They're all made out of wood, metal, and bone. On a guitar that's poorly set up, or a PISS-POOR guitar you may have to struggle with bad fretwork/buzz or unreliable tuners, but to say you can't learn something because your guitar isn't good enough is just a cop-out excuse. I've been learning Defeated Sanity and Abhorrent songs on my korean RG, which cost me a whopping $175. It's sure as shit not a USA Jackson or a custom-made Carvin, but I learned a long time ago to stop making gear-related excuses. Will you possibly have to compensate for a guitar's inadequacies? Maybe. Will it definitively stop you from progressing? Only if that's your excuse. Does a classical guitar student -need- a $1000 guitar? I doubt it. A performer who needs to project to an entire concert hall, maybe, but for practicing in your bedroom an extra $1000 isn't going to make the difference between you learning Chaconne or not.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #16
nigelwho
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by egdeltar View Post
Due to classical guitars having low string tension the top bracing is generally a fan pattern. You would really have to start to looking at high dollar guitars from smaller builders to start to find different bracing patterns. So for you, the fan brace will do just fine as it most common.

The most common sound boards are made from spruce, red cedar, & mahogany. Spruce being the loudest and most brightest of them all. Red Cedar is softer in tone, same with mahogany. Best thing to get is a solid spruce top IMO. Also, the smaller the box, the louder and brighter the tone which I prefer.

As far as scale length, 25.6 is the standard for classical guitar. Again you would have to venture into more high dollar instruments to find a different scale length.

I suggest you pick a price range you are willing to spend and go to a guitar store and play every guitar they have in that range. Classical guitars are a very basic instrument. You will find that most of them all have the same exact features.
thank you very much this is the exact response i was looking for.

BZM, it's very odd you mention a USA Jackson and a Carvin in your post as they are the only two electrics I have, a pre-Fender Jackson SL1, and a Carvin DC200.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #17
BZM
desolate

^ You have good taste in electrics, then, sir. Trust your fingers and ears when you pick out your classical, that's all I have to say. :)
Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
joe kort is gay PA

ADVICE LORD

If you want to buy a guitar go to the music store one in your area. DUH!!!!!!! I can't believe no one said that. You all think you know stuff about the different good woods but you didn't even tell him where to go! AH!!! I would say go to guitar center. They are always very helpfull and polite.
Have you eer heard of estaban? He's insane. If you're lookin' to start playing clasical I would suggest you buy all his instructional vids from the home shopping channel. Don't listen to any of these dooshbags. I play all chopin. Go to guitar center and you'll shred like me.
joe kort is gay PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #19
joe kort is gay PA

korea
Old 04-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #20
egdeltar
I say hella, hella

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe kort is gay PA View Post
If you want to buy a guitar go to the music store one in your area. DUH!!!!!!! I can't believe no one said that. You all think you know stuff about the different good woods but you didn't even tell him where to go! AH!!! I would say go to guitar center. They are always very helpfull and polite.
Have you eer heard of estaban? He's insane. If you're lookin' to start playing clasical I would suggest you buy all his instructional vids from the home shopping channel. Don't listen to any of these dooshbags. I play all chopin. Go to guitar center and you'll shred like me.
Must be a hard life livin with FAS, poor guy.

Reread my post.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #21
fornicationterrorist
5 guy creampie

After sampling that cock dew I went back to slowly
stroking my shaft. I timed my stroke to the bobbing
of the two guy's heads in the movie. They were in
perfect harmony. Both of their heads moved up and
down with the same pace. And so did my hand. Soon
the speed of their bobbing heads increased and I knew
they were getting close, close to that magical moment
when they both feel the first pulses from deep within
their bodies. Their eyes were closed as they
intensified their sucking. Both men thrust their
cocks up and down into the other's waiting mouth.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #22
egdeltar
I say hella, hella

/thread.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #23
joe kort is gay PA

Quote:
Must be a hard life livin with FAS, poor guy.

Reread my post.
What's FAS?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #24
joe kort is gay PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fornicationterrorist View Post
After sampling that cock dew I went back to slowly
stroking my shaft. I timed my stroke to the bobbing
of the two guy's heads in the movie. They were in
perfect harmony. Both of their heads moved up and
down with the same pace. And so did my hand. Soon
the speed of their bobbing heads increased and I knew
they were getting close, close to that magical moment
when they both feel the first pulses from deep within
their bodies. Their eyes were closed as they
intensified their sucking. Both men thrust their
cocks up and down into the other's waiting mouth.
OMG! That is so hot. Is this something you have personally experienced or did you just make it up? Send me a PM if you're the real deal because I love gay erotic strangers who know how to work a hard shaft. I'm sure you're aware the tip of the penis is the most sensitive... Please PM me!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #25
joe kort is gay PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe kort is gay PA View Post
Can you see thet sign!?! Can I cross the street now!?!??!?!?! Someone cums on here lookin for advice and you have to reply with somethin' stupid and gay. It's probably because your stupid and gay!!!!!!!! Get the fuck out of here!!!!!! Help the person or leave!!!!!!!!! asscock~!!! Please ban
Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #26
joe kort is gay PA

Heres waht gayboy really wanted to say!!!!! lol!!!!

Quote:
I'm well aware that a handmade cock mold will play and sound better than something that was made by your mom with fruitfucks. What I'm asking is what are the different factors in a cumshot guitar that change its texture when hard and playability. Should I look for a gay cumboy? How do different cock rings change quality or masturbate the war god? cock types, penis lengths?

Telling me to go spend $5000 on a black dildo is not helpful as it was the same as saying "cumshots from asia are better than production lines."

Now, do you actually suck black dwarf cock or are you just going to drop names of the the most high end cumlords around?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #27
joe kort is gay PA

Time to expose this homo for what he really is... A homo with cock!!!!!! lolol!
Here's the post before he changed it! lol!!!!!!!!!!! 666

Quote:
Due to my boyfriend having low cock tension the top bracing is generally a fag pattern. You would really have to start sucking and looking at high dollar cocks from smaller men to start to find different bracing patterns. So for you, the fag brace will do just fine as it most common among gay men like me.

The most common cumlords are made from cum, red cock, & the doosh of my mom lol!.Cum being the loudest and most brightest of them all. Red Cock is softer in erection form, same with my mom's doosh. Best thing to get is a solid cum top IMO. Also, the smaller the cock, the louder and brighter the cumshot ,which I prefer.

As far as cock length, 25.6 is the standard for classical cumboy cock. Again you would have to venture into more exotic gay porn stores to find a different cock length.

I suggest you pick a asian dick you are willing to suck and go to a cum store and play everyhorney man that's black they have in that range. Classical cumcocks are a very basic instrument. You will find that most of them all have the same exact features.
You have been exposed!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #28
fornicationterrorist
5 guy creampie

One of the jets of cum Todd was shooting flew over my sister's head
and landed on the bare flesh of her back. i don't know why, but,
as it flew it caught my eye and as it landed i could feel it land
on my sister as if it was landing on me and the pleasure of that
sight while i was already orgasming, trying to do it silently, made
me gasp in euphoria as i flinched when the glob of cum landed.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #29
fornicationterrorist
5 guy creampie

nigelwho what's the fag pattern on this bracing? I think it's made from red cock
Old 04-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #30
joe kort is gay PA

You are my cock mentor.Will you take a mold of my classical cunboy? i think nigelwho will find our posts very helpful due to the fact that we have exposed the secrets of red cock. i want a solid cum top guitar