SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > The Rotted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Rotted Website

Old 06-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
jacko

jacko slam gang member
wilkins lets talk bass - double thump?

Hey mate, as a bassist i was wondering what the fuck that is? IT sounds interesting.

Seriously man how much do you practice a week to keep speed up... i can play pretty fast , then i do a 40 minute gig and my fingers are blistered to fuck.

ITs fucking gay.
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
wilkins

wilkins slam gang member
Double and triple thump is a slap orientated technique, made famous by Victor Wootens Classical Thump, which is an awesome practice piece to play. You Tube it, and you can work out a pretty good exercise from that!

It involves slapping the string, but pushing "through" the string, so that you can get a pluck on the way back up. 1(through) - 2 (pull up) 1-2 1-2

Add in a hammer with the left, and you get the triple. 1 through, hammer, pluck 1-2-3 1-2-3

Now the fun part, add the right hand plucks with 3rd, 2nd and 1st(index) fingers. here is an exercise:

Slapping E open, hammer on 2nd fret, pluck octave, moving same up to A string. We will practice the 2 variations.

1) Slap - Hammer - Pluck 2nd - Pluck 1st (from E string once, then whole again on A string, alternating) so...1-2 (left hand) 1-2 (right hand)

2) Slap(through) - Hammer - Thumb Pull - Pluck 3rd - Pluck 2nd - Pluck 1st, again on both strings plus octave 1-2-3 (left hand) 1-2-3 (right hand)

As far as practice goes, there are 2 golden rules...

1) Practice often, every day, even if only for 3 minutes. You will learn more from frequent practice, rather than once a week for 5 hours!

2) Playing fast is not necessarily playing well. I'm not knocking you or anyone, but playing fast is a great way to hide your mistakes. Take the above example, get your metronome and play it at 100bpm until you can do it in your sleep. Then turn the tempo down, yes, DOWN! It is actually harder to play "well" slowly, and once your locking your rhythm in tight, you'll be playing fast with your eyes shut, drinking a can and taking a shit! Trust me!

PM me if your need anything dude! Fellow bass players unite!
wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote