SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Inertiopus

Axe Fx

My friend bought an axe fx ! I get to check it out today so stoked ! He knows whats up with tone and says it shits on everything. Will check back later.
Inertiopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Pwnsauce

I'm really thinking about getting one in the future. I just want to know how consistent they are for recording and how they perform live. I'm really not a fan of amps and having dozens of effects pedals plus I'm used to my PODxt which is similar.
Pwnsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Martins

I think one of those with one of those Sansamp PSA 1.1s (http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/psa1_1.html) would be an awesome combination. I wish I had enough money for just ONE of either one.
Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #4
teacup
Duck Master

Shit.
teacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
ConsumeAndBreed
Full on rapist

I want one of these so badly, the price is pretty outrageous but probably worth it for everything you get.
ConsumeAndBreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
modern death
Hails

ANXIOUSLY AWAITING YOUR UPDATES
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #7
FistedSister
Nilla

Using this to re-amp this coming week.
FistedSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Inertiopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_second_infinity View Post
Suck it you snide fuck ! ; ) It`s pretty fucked up how good it is. The powerball section sounds better then an actual powerball. It scares me something without tubes is so much better. It is essentially a computer for fucks sake. This was just running through a crown solid state power amp. Hes going today to look at getting a vht 2:90:2. We were running a powerball through one cab and a vh4 through the other and it sounded tits. My room mate recorded some tracks with it last night but I have not heard back yet. I dont think its even on the same playing field as anything line 6 has made. Keep in mind hes getting rid of an egnater because of how good this thing is.
Inertiopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Pwnsauce

Do you have those recordings yet?

So you think this could replace an entire live rig? I'm like 10 minutes away from ordering one.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
Goaters
無月

I've been flirting with the idea of getting one.. but still kinda skeptical. i find it hard to trust something that's 100% digital.. despite all the samples I've heard.. there's something really unsatisfying about pushing buttons to eq rather than turning dials and being able to physically see at a glance how you have everything eqed. but then.. it's an all in one unit. which is handy..
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
TheBlackFlux

<----- has hot steamy sex with axe fx every night.
TheBlackFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
Martins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters View Post
I've been flirting with the idea of getting one.. but still kinda skeptical. i find it hard to trust something that's 100% digital.. despite all the samples I've heard.. there's something really unsatisfying about pushing buttons to eq rather than turning dials and being able to physically see at a glance how you have everything eqed. but then.. it's an all in one unit. which is handy..
I wish there were more information about what's going inside it because I doubt that it's 100% digital. There's a power amp stage (I think...) which can't be done digitally (I think...) and the sound is WAY too good to be 100% digital haha. I'm sort of in disbelief of how awesome it sounds.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
INCINERATE
Brutal Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins View Post
I wish there were more information about what's going inside it because I doubt that it's 100% digital. There's a power amp stage (I think...) which can't be done digitally (I think...) and the sound is WAY too good to be 100% digital haha. I'm sort of in disbelief of how awesome it sounds.
It is all digital and there are no tubes. There is no power amp section. Only a pre-amp section obviously. So you do need a separate power amp if you intend to run this through some speaker cabs.
INCINERATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #14
Martins

I watched like 20 videos on YouTube and a bunch of them said it had a power amp stage. One guy had the Axe FX running straight into his speakers. I mean, I could be wrong. I assumed it was just a preamp before I watched those videos. And yes, there are no tubes. I bet the algorithm simulates the second-order harmonic distortion that makes tubes sound like they do.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:03 AM   #15
serocs
>implying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_second_infinity View Post
i thought hux had one
serocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #16
M.Gilbert

Regarding the power amp section, as Incinerate mentioned, there is no power amp inside the unit. What it does have is power amp simulation/emulation which is not only incredibly realistic, but it is also extremely versatile with many parameters that can be adjusted to simulate different types of power amps. Things like plate voltage, power tube bias, transformer low and high frequencies, passive or active tonestacks, etc. Basically a lot of shit you'll probably never end up tweaking, but COULD if you wanted to. Cliff, the guy who designed the Axe-FX is a fuckin genius. Sure other modelers can sound great. But nothing else comes close to what the Axe-FX is capable of in terms of tonal variety, quality of tone, programmability and the actual feel of playing through a real amp. Then there is the effects section, which is on par with much more expensive units (Eventide). Sure it's not perfect. But for what it is and does, there is no equal.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #17
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins View Post
I watched like 20 videos on YouTube and a bunch of them said it had a power amp stage. One guy had the Axe FX running straight into his speakers. I mean, I could be wrong. I assumed it was just a preamp before I watched those videos. And yes, there are no tubes. I bet the algorithm simulates the second-order harmonic distortion that makes tubes sound like they do.
They were either active monitors or there was a power amp. The Axe-FX does not even have a headphone power amp. Line level outputs only.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
Martins

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
Pwnsauce

i fucking ordered one yesterday fuckkkkkkkk

mike, im sure you've played a lot of different amps in your day.. how does the axe-fx compare to stuff like an ENGL? is there any amp you'd give it up for?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
seedsofthesuffering
Custom Title

Had mine a year, and still blown away with it. Best gear I've ever bought.
Even since firmware 5.##, the sound has been greatly improved - mostly because of the much improved power amp modelling that was brought in a few months ago.
This thing is just staggering.
seedsofthesuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #21
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrogar View Post
i thought hux had one
Yep, and when he comes down here I'm gonna steal that shit
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #22
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnsauce View Post
i fucking ordered one yesterday fuckkkkkkkk

mike, im sure you've played a lot of different amps in your day.. how does the axe-fx compare to stuff like an ENGL? is there any amp you'd give it up for?
It's of course a lot easier to dial in my Engl preamp and get a good tone.
When I recorded the guitar tracks for the new SS cd my aim was to dial in the Axe-FX as close as I could to the sound of my Engl rig. It ended up being pretty similar, but this was also on a much older firmware version than they have now for the Axe-fx. Out of the box there aren't really any great high gain presets, so you gotta be really patient, learn the unit, and spend a lot of time tweaking settings. In the end, you can get tones as good as many different high gain amps have to offer. I don't know if I'm ready to ditch my Engl preamp and just use the Engl poweramp with the Axe-fx as a preamp just yet mainly due to the ease of dialing in my Engl. But next to this particular Engl preamp, there is no other preamp I would want to use other than the Axe-fx. And it might someday replace the Engl full-time.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #23
label thief
find them, kill them

yeah i was thinking of going axefx and Engl E-850
label thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #24
Pillow

is it a good idea to use the axe fx through a cab? dont most people use them through a PA or something? will using a cab/poweramp defeat its purpose of being a "modeling preamp" ?
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #25
RobertsTheCoolest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
is it a good idea to use the axe fx through a cab? dont most people use them through a PA or something? will using a cab/poweramp defeat its purpose of being a "modeling preamp" ?
This is my question as well. If I buy one of these, do I have to buy a cab for it?
RobertsTheCoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #26
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
A lot of guys use PA speakers, which usually involves either active powered speakers or a solid state power amp. In which case they usually always use the Axe-fx's poweramp sim feature to make it sound and feel like a tube poweramp.
But plenty of guys are using these with guitar cabinets, possibly more people do this than using a full range speaker setup. In this case, if you are using a tube poweramp then you would probably want to disable the poweramp sim section. But some people still use the poweramp sim even when using tube poweramps. In particular I would think when using a VHT 2/90/2 poweramp, you would probably want to use the poweramp sim to warm things up a bit. Bottom line is, no matter what combination of poweramp, speakers, etc the Axe-fx can be used. Whether it's just the preamp section, or preamp+poweramp sim section, or even preamp+poweramp+mic sim+ cab sim depending on what your setup is. If you read the Axe-fx forums located here....http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/ you will find some people swear by the whole full range/pa setup and discuss exactly which systems they have found to work best. But you will also find lots of guys using traditional guitar poweramps and cabinets discussing their setup as well.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #27
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsTheCoolest View Post
This is my question as well. If I buy one of these, do I have to buy a cab for it?
No. You can use it at home for practicing direct to pc, which is what I do (there is no headphone jack unfortunately). And for playing gigs, you can just bring the Axe-fx and plug direct into the PA. But that means you have to rely on the venue having very good monitors, and your ability to adjust your tone quickly in order to get a good tone through some random PA.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #28
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by label thief View Post
yeah i was thinking of going axefx and Engl E-850
The Engl 850/100 is a monster. Best poweramp I've ever owned. The 2nd best in my experience was the VHT 2/90/2. The Engl has 8 6l6's which is twice the power of a normal "100" watt head. 6L6's are the best all around power tube IMO. The VHT uses 4 KT88's which are very clean sounding tubes that don't break up much and do not color tone much. This amp is also a monster when it comes to power output. Probably just a little less than the Engl does.
When used with the Axe-fx, the VHT would most likely work best by using the poweramp sim to simulate power tube breakup and feel, making things a bit warmer and more natural sounding. The Engl you would want the poweramp sim disabled. I think either poweramp would work excellent, but consider that the VHT is a lot less expensive.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #29
teacup
Duck Master

SHIT!
teacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #30
Pwnsauce

yo mike, you might be able to answer this..

I just for my axe-fx and I set-up my interface (m-audio fast track pro) with it. I can record but I am wondering how I can get it to play-back the recordings through my axe-fx. Like I have a PODxt and when I record with it the audio is sent back through the podxt so I can hear what I am recording.

Sorry if that's confusing lolll