Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Severed Savior

Severed Savior Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 03:47 AM   #31
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters
is a multi-effects unit a must have if you don't use any effects?.
and i guess you wouldn't really need a Multi if you are using like a 2120 or a 2112.. or any preamp that has bult in effects?

i doubt i'd ever get a BBE, but when i was talking to a guy in store about rack casings he pointed out that an additional EQ would be a must..i kinda know this guy and he digs fender squares way too much for a supposed straight kid so i wasn't sure how viable his statement was.

p.s how do i get a Vader cab endorsement?
If you don't use any effects ever, then you don't need a multi effects unit. But If you ever play cleans or leads, you really should have one. And yes, if you have a GSP2101/2112/2120, you should be fine with using the built in effects sections of those units. An additional EQ is absolutely NOT a must have. It totally depends on what preamp you are using, and wether or not you can get the tones you want from it, stock.
As far as getting a Vader endorsement, you probably need to put together an artist/promo pack and send it to Adam (Vader cabs). Just email him and see what's up with that.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #32
M.Gilbert

Hey,
Congratulations on the VHT 2/90/2. Here is a link to download the manual for it: http://www.vhtusers.com/documents/2902%20Template.pdf
I would first start with both presence and depth knobs at 12 oclock.
The voicing buttons when in the "out" position is more natural, and when pushed in the presence is much brighter and it also adds a little more low-mids. I preferred it in the "out" position though. The depth knobs are ok to turn above 12 o'clock if you are playing low volume, but if you are playing in a band, I would set them somewhere between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock.
As far as hooking it up to the pod XT pro, you should just be using the stereo 1/4 inch outputs from the pod to the inputs A/B on the VHT. But be sure to turn off all cab/mic simulations in the POD xt when using it with a poweramp and cabinet.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck13
hi m.gilbert

first of all sorry for my english!!!

i bought a VHT 2/90/2 poweramp after all the good words that i read in this forum about VHT. unfortunally it came withought an instructions book and i am a litle confused about all this knobs!!!

i want to connect the power amp with my cab and my pod xt pro.
please give me some help about the way to connect right.
and also help me if you can with the poweramp knobs .(some short explanation)

thanx for reading!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #33
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert
If you don't use any effects ever, then you don't need a multi effects unit. But If you ever play cleans or leads, you really should have one. And yes, if you have a GSP2101/2112/2120, you should be fine with using the built in effects sections of those units. An additional EQ is absolutely NOT a must have. It totally depends on what preamp you are using, and wether or not you can get the tones you want from it, stock.
As far as getting a Vader endorsement, you probably need to put together an artist/promo pack and send it to Adam (Vader cabs). Just email him and see what's up with that.
ahh great thanks for all the info Mike.. i'm counting up the cost for everything i wanna get in a rack set up to see if i can afford it. i lucked out on the 2112 bid, so i'm searching for the 2120.

haha i was joking about the vader cab endorsement, i'd never call myself an artist.. but thanks for that.
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:17 AM   #34
InvoluntarySlaughter

Quote:
ahh great thanks for all the info Mike.. i'm counting up the cost for everything i wanna get in a rack set up to see if i can afford it. i lucked out on the 2112 bid, so i'm searching for the 2120.

haha i was joking about the vader cab endorsement, i'd never call myself an artist.. but thanks for that.
Yeah dude, I'm still trying to gather up enough money to buy a good cab. Having an old truck, (especially when you're restoring it). I'm looking at the VHT Deliverance right now. Looks awesome, but fuckin' expensive. Mike, have had any experience with this cab or no?

(Either one of the heads)
(The 120)http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=484030
(The 60) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=484031

(The Cab)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Cab?sku=600230
InvoluntarySlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:46 AM   #35
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvoluntarySlaughter
... Mike, have had any experience with this cab or no?

(Either one of the heads)
(The 120)http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=484030
(The 60) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=484031

(The Cab)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Cab?sku=600230
I don't beleive the Deliverance series of amps/cabs were designed with death metal in mind. More of a classic rock/metal or fusion series of amps. The Deliverance cabs do come with the Eminence p50e speakers which they use in their other cabs, which are excellent cabs for metal. But I'm sure the Deliverance cabs have a different design which is probably not suited best for death metal.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:54 AM   #36
InvoluntarySlaughter

So the G-100 Pittbull would be a better choice then? A lot of the reviews say the style of music is for like Jazz and Metal. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=480400
InvoluntarySlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 AM   #37
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvoluntarySlaughter
So the G-100 Pittbull would be a better choice then? A lot of the reviews say the style of music is for like Jazz and Metal. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=480400
Yeah the Ultra Lead's are more suited for metal. They also have excellent clean tones.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 AM   #38
Goaters
無月

how good are the Rocktron Prophesy??.. how much do they go for (second hand)
are they good for getting death metal worthey tones out of?
Old 08-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #39
brutalized

pod pro....what is the best setting. i seem to get the best sound from the rectifier setting, but i can reset the damn thing and seem to get a different sound everytime. maybe i am tripin...i have thought about going back to a piranha preamp, but they are hard to find now. i had a voodoo valve but you can adjust that fucker for days...i hate too much to adjust.
brutalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #40
M.Gilbert

Quote:
how good are the Rocktron Prophesy??.. how much do they go for (second hand)
are they good for getting death metal worthey tones out of?
Supposedly you can get fairly good death metal tones from them. But nothing too spectacular from what I've heard. If I was gonna go for an all in one unit like that, I would stick with a gsp2101 or 2120.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #41
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalized
pod pro....what is the best setting. i seem to get the best sound from the rectifier setting, but i can reset the damn thing and seem to get a different sound everytime. maybe i am tripin...i have thought about going back to a piranha preamp, but they are hard to find now. i had a voodoo valve but you can adjust that fucker for days...i hate too much to adjust.
Hopefully someone with a pod pro can add to this. I use a V-amp2.
And I agree about the vooduvalve. I only had one for a couple weeks and was never satisfied with it. Too many parameters to adjust, and you never really get a terrific tone from it. Just hours of tweaking the settings and headaches. You might also want to check out the Engl E530 preamp. It's simple to use, but is very flexible.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:51 PM   #42
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Supposedly you can get fairly good death metal tones from them. But nothing too spectacular from what I've heard. If I was gonna go for an all in one unit like that, I would stick with a gsp2101 or 2120.
yeah true i do think the digitechs would ber far better and cheaper.. the only problem is finding one :p.. the prophesy was available but it was too much $$ even for a second hand. thanks

what did you use on forced to bleed mike?.. i know you've answered this many times on this forum but all the posts have been deleted or are unavailable. ever since these forums crashed.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #43
M.Gilbert

Quote:
yeah true i do think the digitechs would ber far better and cheaper.. the only problem is finding one :p.. the prophesy was available but it was too much $$ even for a second hand. thanks

what did you use on forced to bleed mike?.. i know you've answered this many times on this forum but all the posts have been deleted or are unavailable. ever since these forums crashed.
For the first 3 songs I used a Digitech RP21 which was basically a 2112. The last 5 songs on that cd were done with my old 2101.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:17 PM   #44
Vaginal.Infestation
Hidden in flesh

Again with the Guitar thinking....

I have a chance to buy a Jackson SL2H, but I won't have the chance to try it before I'll buy it.
It looks perfect on print, it has got everything I want in a guitar...
Should I just say "fuck it" and buy it?
It's probably going to cost me quite alot, so I don't want to be disappointed.

I've been reading those preamps talks you've been having here... for example the Digitech 2120, which looks interesting when I was reading about it.
How do I use those?.. I mean, do I just connect them straight to my Marshall 1960 cab? (i'm a total noob when it comes to amps and preamps)
And is there an easier way to record with those than f.x. my Peavey Triple XXX?

Thank you.

Last edited by Vaginal.Infestation; 08-21-2006 at 09:26 PM..
Vaginal.Infestation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:51 AM   #45
M.Gilbert

The USA SL2H is an incredible guitar. Super high quality you can feel as soon as you pick it up with one hand. Solid as a tank, and they sound awesome. If you are looking for a super strat style body, neck thru guitar with a real floyd bridge, then this is the guitar you want. The neck is pretty flat, but somewhat thick front to back, and the guitar is extremely flat and straight. The strings are very close to the body all the way to the bridge. Low profile all around. It would be best to play one first to make sure it feels right for you. But if that's not possible, I say if the specs sound like what you want in a guitar, get it. You'll probably love it.
As far as preamps, few rackmounted amps are both preamp and poweramp.
And you need both to power any speaker cabinet. Something like a 2101 you will have to run the outputs into a seperate poweramp, and then speaker cables to your cabinet. For recording, the easiest thing is to use a modeling device like a Pod or V-amp2. Otherwise you will need some sort of speaker emulator unit to get good tone if recording direct from the preamp outputs.
But nothing beats using a mic or 2 to get the real sound from a speaker cabinet when recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaginal.Infestation
Again with the Guitar thinking....

I have a chance to buy a Jackson SL2H, but I won't have the chance to try it before I'll buy it.
It looks perfect on print, it has got everything I want in a guitar...
Should I just say "fuck it" and buy it?
It's probably going to cost me quite alot, so I don't want to be disappointed.

I've been reading those preamps talks you've been having here... for example the Digitech 2120, which looks interesting when I was reading about it.
How do I use those?.. I mean, do I just connect them straight to my Marshall 1960 cab? (i'm a total noob when it comes to amps and preamps)
And is there an easier way to record with those than f.x. my Peavey Triple XXX?

Thank you.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #46
Vaginal.Infestation
Hidden in flesh

So, let's say I own a Digitech 2120... could I connect it to my PodXt and record through it?...
What about connecting Peavey XXX to it?
Vaginal.Infestation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #47
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaginal.Infestation
So, let's say I own a Digitech 2120... could I connect it to my PodXt and record through it?...
What about connecting Peavey XXX to it?
You could use the 2120 as a preamp, and use a pod for cabinet simulation to record direct. As far as the XXX, you could connect the line out on back to a pod for cabinet simulation/direct recording, but I'm not sure if the line out on the XXX sends signal when the amp is on bypass. If not, you will have to be connected to a cabinet or you will damage the amp.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #48
Xarn

Hey,

Regarding V-Amp2, what does your settings and stuff look like on that thing? I bought one myself about one week ago and it's a pretty cool device, great for practicing. However I'd like a less muddy tone and my current settings are the following:

Cabinet: 15
Amp: Modern Hi-Gain
Volume: 5
Bass: 4,5
Mid: 7
Treble: 7
Gain: 6,5
Effects: Compressor on full.
Reverb: Off

Guitar is a Ibanez RG320FA with stock pickups (which might have something to do with the muddyness!).

But I'm in the works of buying a new guitar as soon as I find something not too pricey and with EMG pickups.

Also, what other gear do you use with the V-amp 2?
Xarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:21 AM   #49
Melodioso

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, lots of great info here! I'm looking for a new preamp, and was interested in getting the ENGL e580 until I got across this forum... So my question is: in a few words, is there a big difference soundwise between the e570/e580? Which one would you recommend? I'm looking for a very versatile preamp.

Right now my gear is: VHT 2/50/2 and two Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, and a G-System pretty soon.

Thanks for helping!
Melodioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #50
littlephil0

Do you have to trun up your vader cabs a lot to to really feel them or does it react pretty well because of your power amp. Cause I have krankenstein and I noticed that I have to boost my master and my pre amp volume a little more than I did with the krank cabs. If it helps the krank cabs are 16 ohms cab thats it no other ohms, and the vader are 8. I just thought 8 was going to have to take less heat.
littlephil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #51
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodioso
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, lots of great info here! I'm looking for a new preamp, and was interested in getting the ENGL e580 until I got across this forum... So my question is: in a few words, is there a big difference soundwise between the e570/e580? Which one would you recommend? I'm looking for a very versatile preamp.

Right now my gear is: VHT 2/50/2 and two Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, and a G-System pretty soon.

Thanks for helping!
in a few words, yes.. sorry i'm not in the know about how different they are but i do know they are different from what i've heard,read,and been told.
M.Gilbert will be able to go into more detail about this, seeing as he has play both. :)
Old 08-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #52
skullfucker

Hi !!
I am new on this forum (and I'm french so sorry for my vocabulary). I'm an user of the 2101 preamp and I'm searching for a good death metal rhythm tone, for a long time :bang: . Thus, I would like to have some advice to obtain brutal tones from this preamp because it is not easy to adjust, especially the EQs. It would be great if the users of the 2101 can help me, maybe M. Gilbert (or other users) have some good patches or settings to share, because I read that you had used it on 5 songs from FORCED TO BLEED. My guitar had EMG pickups and I'm running the 2101 into a mesa 50/50 power amp, and into a crate 4x12 with V30.
Thanks per advanceā€¦ :devil:

Last edited by skullfucker; 08-31-2006 at 05:28 AM..
skullfucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 AM   #53
M.Gilbert

Those pickups are more than likely the main cause of the muddiness. Those settings on the vamp2 look fine. I like to set it to reverb type 2, and turn it on very low, sounds a little better on the vamp2 and doesn't add too much noticeable reverb. I switch between cab 15 and 4, those are my favorites for metal rhythm tones.
I don't use any gear besides the Vamp2 for practicing/recording at home. If I was to do serious recording with it, I'd probably use a seperate effects unit. But the built in effects are fairly decent, so I just use it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarn
Hey,

Regarding V-Amp2, what does your settings and stuff look like on that thing? I bought one myself about one week ago and it's a pretty cool device, great for practicing. However I'd like a less muddy tone and my current settings are the following:

Cabinet: 15
Amp: Modern Hi-Gain
Volume: 5
Bass: 4,5
Mid: 7
Treble: 7
Gain: 6,5
Effects: Compressor on full.
Reverb: Off

Guitar is a Ibanez RG320FA with stock pickups (which might have something to do with the muddyness!).

But I'm in the works of buying a new guitar as soon as I find something not too pricey and with EMG pickups.

Also, what other gear do you use with the V-amp 2?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 AM   #54
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Hello all!

Thanks for helping!
Both e580 and e570 are VERY versatile preamps. The e580 allows you to save each eq knob setting per preset, which is nice. But the e570 is very capable of storing completely different tones for each preset, and is nearly as flexible as the e580. I owned the e580 for a little over a year, and switched to the e570 because IMO it sounds a little better in all areas.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:02 AM   #55
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephil0
Do you have to trun up your vader cabs a lot to to really feel them or does it react pretty well because of your power amp. Cause I have krankenstein and I noticed that I have to boost my master and my pre amp volume a little more than I did with the krank cabs. If it helps the krank cabs are 16 ohms cab thats it no other ohms, and the vader are 8. I just thought 8 was going to have to take less heat.
I haven't noticed this problem. I use the Vader as well as an Engl XXL 4x12 cab (v-30 speakers) both cabs are 8ohms mono and I can keep the volumes on each side of the poweramp about the same level. The v-30's in the Engl do cut through a little more since they have a more pronounced upper mid range. The Vaders have a natural, slightly scooped mid tone which is going to mean slightly less noticeable volume. Also, it might just be that the Vaders take a little more power to move the speakers than the Krank cabs due to the speaker type/wattage.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:06 AM   #56
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullfucker
Hi !!
I am new on this forum (and I'm french so sorry for my vocabulary). I'm an user of the 2101 preamp and I'm searching for a good death metal rhythm tone, for a long time :bang: . Thus, I would like to have some advice to obtain brutal tones from this preamp because it is not easy to adjust, especially the EQs. It would be great if the users of the 2101 can help me, maybe M. Gilbert (or other users) have some good patches or settings to share, because I read that you had used it on 5 songs from FORCED TO BLEED. My guitar had EMG pickups and I'm running the 2101 into a mesa 50/50 power amp, and into a crate 4x12 with V30.
Thanks per advanceā€¦ :devil:
Honestly it's been several years since I owned my 2101, and I don't remember most of the settings I used. I would usually start with either the death metal #66 preset, or the metal tremelo preset (turn off the effects on this preset) and then I would adjust the EQ to my liking. When dialing in the settings, I suggest you not use any BBE sonic maximizer, or seperate EQ units.
Also, you will find that you will need different eq settings for playing by yourself at low volume, and when playing with a band at full volume.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 AM   #57
Melodioso

Thanks a lot for your time and answer, Mike! Good to hear what you said about the e570, cause it's cheaper than the e580 and easier to handle... Gotta find one to demo now.
Melodioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #58
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your time and answer, Mike! Good to hear what you said about the e570, cause it's cheaper than the e580 and easier to handle... Gotta find one to demo now.
good luck dude!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:20 AM   #59
Goaters
無月

are these any good? http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&m...sid=419&cid=93
i was thinking of trading in my crappy line 6 cab for one of these..
just wondering if anyone has tried one out or know anything good/bad about it that i should know abooot.
thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #60
Xarn

Quote:
Those pickups are more than likely the main cause of the muddiness. Those settings on the vamp2 look fine. I like to set it to reverb type 2, and turn it on very low, sounds a little better on the vamp2 and doesn't add too much noticeable reverb. I switch between cab 15 and 4, those are my favorites for metal rhythm tones.
I don't use any gear besides the Vamp2 for practicing/recording at home. If I was to do serious recording with it, I'd probably use a seperate effects unit. But the built in effects are fairly decent, so I just use it as is.
Thanks man. I just switched those pickups for an EMG 81/85 setup last week and the sound improved alooot. I'll check out what you recommended as well.
Xarn is offline   Reply With Quote