SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Severed Savior

Severed Savior Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 04:43 AM   #91
M.Gilbert

The first 3 songs on Forced to Bleed were done with the rp21 (floorboard version of the 2112, basically the same as a 2120 also). The last 5 songs were done with a 2101.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #92
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

Rep Power: 21 imbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewski
whats the difference between a patch cable and an instrument cable?
imbutawaveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #93
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarsofMadness6
whats the difference between a patch cable and an instrument cable?
same thing, a patch cable is just nice and short, to keep things clean.
shroudofimpurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:02 AM   #94
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert
Hey dude,
Congrats on the new amp! Good to hear you are happy with it.
The feedback can be several things. Most commonly:
1. A microphonic tube.
Usually it's the V1 or first position preamp tube that would be more prone to creating feedback. But it can also be caused by any of the other tubes. Easy and fairly inexpensive fix if this is the cause.
2. Amp settings.
You might (unfortunately) have to compromise slightly on the tone to lessen feedback. I would turn off any noise gate you got going, and let the amp feedback. Then go through each eq knob and find out which one contributes the most to the feedback.
3. Pickups and or guitar issues.
Tube amps are in general more prone to feedback. But even though you may not have had as much feedback with your previous amp using the same exact guitar, the guitar could still be contributing to it. The Evo I had in my SLSMG was prone to feedback more than my EMG's. But not much more.
First, put some foam underneath the pickups. Also, if using a guitar with a tremelo, wrap electrical tape around the tremelo springs (I also put foam underneath them). If using a tune-o-matic setup, wrap electrical tape around the strings behind the bridge. All 3 of those things have caused serious feedback problems for me in the past, and the fixes worked very well.
Switching noise gates isn't going to solve this problem. No matter what gate you use, bad feedback is going to affect it's ability to function properly.
I'd start with sound deadening on the guitar first, try a different cable, then pinpoint the eq knob contributing most to the feedback and if all those fail change the preamp tubes.
The Voodoo mods own. The 5150 mods Trace does get very good reviews.
I plan on having my Engl preamp modded there too.
Thanks for the advice Mike, I just got a string-thru the body ESP, and I'm gonna see if there is any difference with the feedback. I'm thinking of trying a Duncan JB in the bridge position.

Also, yeah... I cant wait to get my 5150 modded... I'm wondering if I should go with their more expensive mod? Wonder if its worth the extra $300 or so?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #95
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

Rep Power: 21 imbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewski
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroudofimpurity
same thing, a patch cable is just nice and short, to keep things clean.

thanks man
imbutawaveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:47 PM   #96
Archaeon
WIGGER

Awesome thread idea mike!

Alright down to business. Right now i have a Marshall AVT50 combo for my head and a Peavey valveking 412 slant for my cab. I'm looking into buying a head head but don't want to spend more than a grand on it. I want to be able to get death metal tones to jazz fusion tones and everything in between. Any suggestions?
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:53 PM   #97
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeon
Awesome thread idea mike!

Alright down to business. Right now i have a Marshall AVT50 combo for my head and a Peavey valveking 412 slant for my cab. I'm looking into buying a head head but don't want to spend more than a grand on it. I want to be able to get death metal tones to jazz fusion tones and everything in between. Any suggestions?
If you're looking for a head under a grand, I seriously gotta recommend the 5150 or 6505. Sure If I had nearly $2,000 Id go Engl, but you aint gonna find a Powerball under a grand even used.... Also, maybe check out a Mesa Boogie Triaxis, but that's a rack unit... so I don't know if that makes a difference to you?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:01 PM   #98
Ergo_Sum

Matt, if your feeding back at high volumes; reduce your treble.

Thats what I find to be a major cause in whistling amp syndrome
Ergo_Sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #99
Archaeon
WIGGER

Quote:
If you're looking for a head under a grand, I seriously gotta recommend the 5150 or 6505. Sure If I had nearly $2,000 Id go Engl, but you aint gonna find a Powerball under a grand even used.... Also, maybe check out a Mesa Boogie Triaxis, but that's a rack unit... so I don't know if that makes a difference to you?
How much does a Triaxis go for?

EDIT: Nevermind about that $850 for a used triaxis is way to much

6505 looks pretty sweet tho. hows the clean channel on it?

Last edited by Archaeon; 12-31-2006 at 10:08 PM..
Old 01-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #100
ruonitb

Quote:
I wouldn´t really recommend an ENGL powerball tbh. Most ppl buy it because of the gain, but if you run it with high gain settings, it will really compress the sound and your playing will be without dynamic...if you don´t play too clean it´s good tho. ;)
I use an ENGL Savage 120; it´s a bit more expensive than the powerball but it has a better clean chan and way enough gain. It has an overall better sound anyway imho.

If I would live in the USA, I would go for a rectifier I think...ENGL amps are too expensive in the USA... :X

@Archaeon: do you want a tube amp? channels? effects? watt? :o
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #101
Archaeon
WIGGER

Tube amp is preferred, 3 channels (clean/rhythm/lead), watts I'm not really sure, and I'm gonna buy a rack latter so effects aren't very important right now
Old 01-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #102
ruonitb

errr...so, you are just going to buy an effects processor?
I´m a little bit confused...do you want a head or play over a rack and buy all the different components you need?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #103
Goaters
無月

he wants a new head.. but he plans on getting some rack effects units so he doesn't care if the head has bilt in effects.. i think is what he means

what a bout a new neck as well?
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #104
ruonitb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters
he wants a new head.. but he plans on getting some rack effects units so he doesn't care if the head has bilt in effects.. i think is what he means

what a bout a new neck as well?
that´s what I thought as well...was confused since he asked about the triaxis as well.

anyway...I don´t know much about the amp prices in the USA but would you buy a used amp as well? I could search ebay then. ;)
Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #105
Goaters
無月

yeah used amps would be your best bet for getting something really decent for a good price.
i don't know much about tubes but i have the line-6 HD147, that things pretty mint for a solid state. not bad effects either, several clean channels to play with, models some pretty cool amps like 5150, triple and duel rectos(messa) Diesel and several Marshall amp simulations, 4 programable channels so you can set up with like a clean/crunch/lead1/lead2(solo channel).. plus i think with a special pedal board you can have more channels i think.. it's pretty versatile for it;s price.. but it is solid state so if you're really game for a tube amp then no use in checking them out.

Last edited by Goaters; 01-02-2007 at 10:16 AM..
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #106
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb
If I would live in the USA, I would go for a rectifier I think...ENGL amps are too expensive in the USA... :X

oh man, I gotta say that the rec is a pile of muddy crap, I've had one... it was terrible, my 5150 absolutely destroys the shit out of it.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #107
Archaeon
WIGGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters
yeah used amps would be your best bet for getting something really decent for a good price.
i don't know much about tubes but i have the line-6 HD147, that things pretty mint for a solid state. not bad effects either, several clean channels to play with, models some pretty cool amps like 5150, triple and duel rectos(messa) Diesel and several Marshall amp simulations, 4 programable channels so you can set up with like a clean/crunch/lead1/lead2(solo channel).. plus i think with a special pedal board you can have more channels i think.. it's pretty versatile for it;s price.. but it is solid state so if you're really game for a tube amp then no use in checking them out.
I can't get into the line 6 stuff. My buddy has one and at high volumes it sounds like absolute shit. good practice amp tho
Old 01-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #108
brutalized

Man, I was thinking about getting a 5150 again.....I was going to get the Voodoo mod done but ended up selling the head. Are the block letter versions of the head better? I have seen alot of people saying the older ones were better, but my brother had a 5150II and it killed!
brutalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #109
ruonitb

Quote:
oh man, I gotta say that the rec is a pile of muddy crap, I've had one... it was terrible, my 5150 absolutely destroys the shit out of it.
oh yeah, I´ve heard about that as well...I guess you have to love or hate the rectifier...ah, I got my ENGL anyway. ;)

I got a question as well...it´s not really about gear stuff, it´s about guitar-recording and maybe someone can answer my question. :)
Sine we are going to record our CD (homerecording) I would like to know, if it´s really needed to double the guitars. Or can you get a full, "fat" guitar sound with a good mix only anyway?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #110
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Mike, I just got a string-thru the body ESP, and I'm gonna see if there is any difference with the feedback. I'm thinking of trying a Duncan JB in the bridge position.

Also, yeah... I cant wait to get my 5150 modded... I'm wondering if I should go with their more expensive mod? Wonder if its worth the extra $300 or so?
Sorry for the delayed responses guys. I haven't experienced in person an amp modded by Trace, but as long as you'd be sending your amp out there, I can't see it not being worth it to do the full list of mods.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #111
M.Gilbert

And to agree with MAtt and others who have replied, for under a grand you don't have many good options besides a 5150 or 6505. Great amps, well worth the money.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #112
M.Gilbert

Quote:
oh yeah, I´ve heard about that as well...I guess you have to love or hate the rectifier...ah, I got my ENGL anyway. ;)

I got a question as well...it´s not really about gear stuff, it´s about guitar-recording and maybe someone can answer my question. :)
Sine we are going to record our CD (homerecording) I would like to know, if it´s really needed to double the guitars. Or can you get a full, "fat" guitar sound with a good mix only anyway?
One guitar on a recording (especially in death metal) just doesn't cut it.
It CAN sound good but it's not going to sound as full or as heavy as 2 guitars for rhythm.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #113
M.Gilbert

Quote:
I wouldn´t really recommend an ENGL powerball tbh. Most ppl buy it because of the gain, but if you run it with high gain settings, it will really compress the sound and your playing will be without dynamic...if you don´t play too clean it´s good tho. ;)
I use an ENGL Savage 120; it´s a bit more expensive than the powerball but it has a better clean chan and way enough gain. It has an overall better sound anyway imho.

@Archaeon: do you want a tube amp? channels? effects? watt? :o
I think the problem with most powerball users is that they set the mids too low and the gain too high. I have heard this amp sound pretty good, and I've heard it sound incredible. The Savage120 doesn't have as deep of bass, and not as much gain available. But it definately has enough of both. It's also capable of a smoother lead tone and better (imo) clean tones. If I had to choose between the two it would be a very hard decision. I would probably lean a bit more towards a Savage120. But the Special Edition is by far my favorite. Which is why I got the special edition preamp (e570) and their "new" matching poweramp.
And yeah, Engl's are quite expensive here. But still well worth the money. Mesa's are more affordable, but they just don't compare.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #114
ruonitb

So, you would say that MESA´s "suck" compared to ENGL´s?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #115
M.Gilbert

Quote:
So, you would say that MESA´s "suck" compared to ENGL´s?
No I don't think Mesa's suck. The Cabinets are great, the poweramps are also very good. And some heads like the older Mark's and Dual recto's are really good. I don't care for triple recto's too much. And I do feel they are overpriced here in the states, let alone in Europe.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #116
shroudofimpurity

Yeah I had an old Mesa Mrk. III head that kicked major ass.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:36 AM   #117
Lamashtu

i had a 5150 for a long while and loved it. I like a lot of mids, so with my settings it sounded a little weak on the distortion side. So I ran the signal through a BBE 481i sonic maximizer and it clarified the sound considerably more as well as beefing up the sound.
Lamashtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #118
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamashtu
i had a 5150 for a long while and loved it. I like a lot of mids, so with my settings it sounded a little weak on the distortion side. So I ran the signal through a BBE 481i sonic maximizer and it clarified the sound considerably more as well as beefing up the sound.
I've heard people say that the sonic maximizer works wonders for the 5150. I'm pretty over that unit, but I wouldn't mind hearing it with my head.

However, I dont find a need for more distortion with my 5150, shit... I have my gain on like 6 1/2. It seems fine, tons of note definition, and still punches and crunches very hard... especially running with 2 cabs.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #119
ruonitb

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert
One guitar on a recording (especially in death metal) just doesn't cut it.
It CAN sound good but it's not going to sound as full or as heavy as 2 guitars for rhythm.

ok :/ ...but in case, that a band isn´t "doubling" the guitars. should they use just as much gain as they use normally? I mean, if you are doubling your guitars, then you won´t use as much gain as usually...but what if you don´t?
I mean, should there be as less gain as possible on a recording?

I heard that too much gain will cause the record to be sounding flat etc.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #120
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
ok :/ ...but in case, that a band isn´t "doubling" the guitars. should they use just as much gain as they use normally? I mean, if you are doubling your guitars, then you won´t use as much gain as usually...but what if you don´t?
I mean, should there be as less gain as possible on a recording?

I heard that too much gain will cause the record to be sounding flat etc.
Why would a band not record left and right guitar tracks? Its pretty much standard... Dont you want a stereo guitar sound?