SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Severed Savior

Severed Savior Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #121
ruonitb

Well, we have to guitars and planned to record every guitar only one time (not always playing something different tho).
For example the sound on the new Spawn of Possession CD doesnt´t sound doubled to met all (I´m sure they did double the guitars tho ;) ), it´s just so dry and with less distortion - that´s a fine guitar sound for tech death imo. :)

So you guys say, its a "must"?

And another question: do you play the guitars two times or even more? I know that there are people who record like 5 guitar tracks.

EDIT:

So, if we are going to doulbe our guitars...how much gain should we use?
And what are good guitar settings for a record? I mean, how much Mids/Bass/Treble etc. ?

We want to record the guitars with the Toneport UX2 by line6 but we haven´t found the right settings yet. Im thankful for any advice.

I already recorded some short samples of some different settings, but they don´t really satisfy me. What do you think anyway?

http://up.universalhoster.net/5074_gitarre-sound.rar

Thanks already!

Last edited by ruonitb; 01-22-2007 at 09:30 AM..
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #122
ElementGuitar

What's up Mike.

Well, I'm finally throwing down for the E570. I was wondering what type of rack multi-effect processors you can recommend. Alesis MidiVerb4, TC Electronic G-Major...

I'm looking for Cynic types of chorus, delays and a James Murphy style pitch-shifting, harmonizing effects.
ElementGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:54 PM   #123
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb
Well, we have to guitars and planned to record every guitar only one time (not always playing something different tho).
For example the sound on the new Spawn of Possession CD doesnt´t sound doubled to met all (I´m sure they did double the guitars tho ;) ), it´s just so dry and with less distortion - that´s a fine guitar sound for tech death imo. :)

So you guys say, its a "must"?

And another question: do you play the guitars two times or even more? I know that there are people who record like 5 guitar tracks.

EDIT:

So, if we are going to doulbe our guitars...how much gain should we use?
And what are good guitar settings for a record? I mean, how much Mids/Bass/Treble etc. ?

We want to record the guitars with the Toneport UX2 by line6 but we haven´t found the right settings yet. Im thankful for any advice.

I already recorded some short samples of some different settings, but they don´t really satisfy me. What do you think anyway?

http://up.universalhoster.net/5074_gitarre-sound.rar

Thanks already!
Oh I see what you're saying, you're talking about doubling tracks on both right and left guitars, so in total you are recording 4 tracks, 2 for the left, 2 for the right... am I correct?

No, I don't think that's important, I mean its a nice little trick for making the guitars a bit more beefy and thick, but in a lot of ways I don't like it. I like how the guitars in Spawn of Possession recordings sound very natural and kinda raw, very clean tone, not too much distortion.

Anyway, a good example of a guitar tone that has been doubled up is the last Nile CD, really gives you that MASSIVE guitar tone, real thick and meaty. Very cool tone but not what I'm going for.

sorry for misunderstanding you.
shroudofimpurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:46 AM   #124
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementGuitar
Well, I'm finally throwing down for the E570.

Yeah, thats killer Mason! Smart move, I'm definitely gonna do the same when the money permits... I'll probably go the head route and get a Powerball, I'm really about simplicity these days. I definitely want to try and get one before we record, I'm gonna do everything in my power to get one in the next couple months. I'm thinking of doing a blend tone type thing between my 5150 and a Powerball, if it works how I'm thinking... We'll see.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:38 AM   #125
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementGuitar
What's up Mike.

Well, I'm finally throwing down for the E570. I was wondering what type of rack multi-effect processors you can recommend. Alesis MidiVerb4, TC Electronic G-Major...

I'm looking for Cynic types of chorus, delays and a James Murphy style pitch-shifting, harmonizing effects.
Right on Mason!
If your budget is under $400, I would get a G-Major. It's the best overall unit in that price range.
I know your about to invest quite a bit into an e570. But honestly, I would hold off on a less expensive fx unit and save more money for a high quality unit if that's possible. To get what you described (which is basically the same things I want in a unit) you probably will not be satisfied with any unit under a grand.
Unit's I would buy according to price range:
under $400
1st. G-Major
2nd. 2101 (kick ass effects section, better than the later versions)
3rd. Rocktron Intellipitch

under $1000
1. Used G-Force

Under $1500-2000
1. Fractal Audio Axe-fx (picking one up in a few weeks)
2. Used Eventide Eclipse
3. New G-Force

I'd sell you my G-Major cheap, but one of the rack ears snapped recently, and the outer parameter knob is fucked and needs to be fixed.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #126
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroudofimpurity
Yeah, thats killer Mason! Smart move, I'm definitely gonna do the same when the money permits... I'll probably go the head route and get a Powerball, I'm really about simplicity these days. I definitely want to try and get one before we record, I'm gonna do everything in my power to get one in the next couple months. I'm thinking of doing a blend tone type thing between my 5150 and a Powerball, if it works how I'm thinking... We'll see.
That would be cool! A powerball and a 5150 would probably compliment eachother nicely.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #127
ruonitb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroudofimpurity
Oh I see what you're saying, you're talking about doubling tracks on both right and left guitars, so in total you are recording 4 tracks, 2 for the left, 2 for the right... am I correct?

No, I don't think that's important, I mean its a nice little trick for making the guitars a bit more beefy and thick, but in a lot of ways I don't like it. I like how the guitars in Spawn of Possession recordings sound very natural and kinda raw, very clean tone, not too much distortion.

sorry for misunderstanding you.
Yeah, that´s exactly what I mean...I thought that it´s necessary, but now I see, that you just missunderstood me. ;)
So, you didn´t double the guitar tracks for the decrepit birth recordings? and what about the bands in your studio? (if I´m allowed to know that :X ).
I think they all got a pretty good guitar sound, I would be satisfied with that for sure...I always thought that such a sound is only possible with doubling the guitar tracks.
The Decrepit Birth recordings have pretty much distortion...I mean, did you just use as much gain/distortion as usually (when you are playing gigs etc.) for the recordings? Or did you turn it down?

As I already said, I´m thankful for any advice...I don´t know hoch much gain I should use and I don´t know about good EQ settings for guitar recording. :/
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #128
Goaters
無月

i met a guy once who was raving about how well the powerball and 5150 sounded together. a match made in heaven he said.. haha.
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #129
ElementGuitar

Thanks Mike. I think I'm going to hold off for a while until I have enough money. I might just throw down some cash on a Rocktron Xpression for now, just to get me by.

How is your signal chain run? Do you use the effects loop on the E570, or run them post? How does it affect the tone of the preamp?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #130
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementGuitar View Post
Thanks Mike. I think I'm going to hold off for a while until I have enough money. I might just throw down some cash on a Rocktron Xpression for now, just to get me by.

How is your signal chain run? Do you use the effects loop on the E570, or run them post? How does it affect the tone of the preamp?
That's a good alternative to a G-Major. An Xpression is basically an Intellifex, but I forget exactly what minor differences there are. Anyways, I run my full signal through the G-Major instead of in the effects loop of the e570. This is because I need to turn on the harmony effect quite a bit. The way I have it set up, I have my main rhythm channel cloned 5 or 6 times, each preset I switch to with my midi pedal switches both e570 and G-Major to different presets. Even though the e570 remains unchanged tonally in these switches, the G-Major is set up for a different harmony interval for each preset. So for example, I'm on my main rhythm channel #1, I can at any time activate a minor 3rd below harmony with my expression pedal. Then when I need to switch to a 5th harmony, I press button #9, and a 4th harmony is preset #4, etc. So basically, I have it set up this way (in series) because it is what works best for my situation. I have found that it does not color/alter the tone much at all when it is 100% in the signal chain and no effects are being used. Of course nothing is 100% transparent though.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #131
ElementGuitar

What would happen to your harmonized sound if you ran it through the effects loop? Does it not return the distorted tone in a different pitch, or does it stay dry?

The reason I'm pushing for the fx loop is that I want a clear signal. If you say that using the effects post preamp, won't alter the tone too much. I'll probably set it up that way. Also, I wanted to make sure that when I switch presets with delay and/or reverb, that they tail off over the next preset.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #132
M.Gilbert

Quote:
What would happen to your harmonized sound if you ran it through the effects loop? Does it not return the distorted tone in a different pitch, or does it stay dry?

The reason I'm pushing for the fx loop is that I want a clear signal. If you say that using the effects post preamp, won't alter the tone too much. I'll probably set it up that way. Also, I wanted to make sure that when I switch presets with delay and/or reverb, that they tail off over the next preset.
No problem with using a harmonizer in the effects loop of the preamp. There's probably zero noticeable difference in sound quality if it was in the loop or after the preamp outputs when effects are being used.
Onto the spillover (tail off) feature on effects units. If you have an effect unit in the loop, and for example you are on a preset that has some delay and reverb, if you switch to a preset which does not have the effects loop activated, you get no spillover. Just an instant change to a dry preset. If you are switching from a preset with delays/verb to another preset which has the effects loop turned on, then yes you will hear the spillover and the delay/verb will fade out after you switch presets. But this defeats the purpose of having the unit in the effects loop to begin with. If you plan on using spillover, or want the ability to activate an effect at any time, you must run it in series, after the preamp outputs so the effects unit is always in the signal path.
The benefit of this flexibility outweighs the negative aspect of coloration from the effects loop.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:05 AM   #133
giannis

mike do you stil think that engl e 570 is the best pre amp that i can get??
giannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #134
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannis View Post
mike do you stil think that engl e 570 is the best pre amp that i can get??
It's definitely one of the best preamps anyone can get. There are other preamps that I consider to be equal, but for my purposes the e570 is by far the best. Preamps like the CAE 3+se, Bogner Fish, Engl e580 are all world class, top of the line preamps. But the ability to do death metal tones with ease, as well as sounding excellent in just about every other style, and it's extreme flexibility due to it's midi programmable features makes the e570 my personal favorite.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #135
ElementGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert View Post
It's definitely one of the best preamps anyone can get. There are other preamps that I consider to be equal, but for my purposes the e570 is by far the best. Preamps like the CAE 3+se, Bogner Fish, Engl e580 are all world class, top of the line preamps. But the ability to do death metal tones with ease, as well as sounding excellent in just about every other style, and it's extreme flexibility due to it's midi programmable features makes the e570 my personal favorite.
Yes, I was thinking about the CAE preamp, but dude...other than it's great tone, it's lacking some features. Especially for the money. E570 all the way.

Last edited by ElementGuitar; 01-28-2007 at 11:10 PM..
Old 01-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #136
giannis

i am about to buy one(e 570) soon!! :)
just wanted to be sure.thanx guys
giannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #137
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Yes, I was thinking about the CAE preamp, but dude...other than it's great tone, it's lacking some features. Especially for the money. E570 all the way.
The CAE+se is arguably the best pure tone preamp. I wouldn't use one for death metal, but for any other tone it's hard to beat. Definitely lacks features and the ability to have many different types of tones at the push of a button like the e570.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #138
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannis View Post
i am about to buy one(e 570) soon!! :)
just wanted to be sure.thanx guys
Good luck man! I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #139
Vaginal.Infestation
Hidden in flesh

Ok, Mike, I just came from what was supposed to be a band practise, but when I got there and plugged into my Peavey XXX head (which is connected to a Marshall 1960 cab) it was about 50% less powerfull than usual and the tone was not good. I tried EQing it a bit better, but nothing worked.

Have you any idea what the fuck might be wrong? Is it broken? Do I need new lamps?

Thanks.
Vaginal.Infestation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:03 PM   #140
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaginal.Infestation View Post
Ok, Mike, I just came from what was supposed to be a band practise, but when I got there and plugged into my Peavey XXX head (which is connected to a Marshall 1960 cab) it was about 50% less powerfull than usual and the tone was not good. I tried EQing it a bit better, but nothing worked.

Have you any idea what the fuck might be wrong? Is it broken? Do I need new lamps?

Thanks.
Sounds like a power tube problem. One or more might be dead. I'd take it to an amp repair shop and have them replace all the power tubes and bias it while they are at it. If you can't take it to a shop to get biased, just replace the tubes yourself, but it's always best to get it biased when doing that.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #141
Vaginal.Infestation
Hidden in flesh

Alright, that sounds bad.
I'm taking it to the shop I bought it from tomorrow, too bad that here in Iceland there are no special amp repair shop (that i know of). :(
Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 AM   #142
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaginal.Infestation View Post
Alright, that sounds bad.
I'm taking it to the shop I bought it from tomorrow, too bad that here in Iceland there are no special amp repair shop (that i know of). :(
Good luck man! It definately sounds like the problem is a bad power tube, so replacing them should solve the problem. Replace all of them though, not just the one that is bad. The XXX only had 4 6l6's in it, so it shouldn't be very expensive. Eventually, you're going to want to find a shop that can bias it though. You'll notice an improvement in tone, and the bias may be set wrong which can shorten tube life.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #143
Vaginal.Infestation
Hidden in flesh

Alright, I understand. I'm going to try and find someone to bias it... if not, maybe my uncle who's an electrician could help me or something.

Thanks man!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 AM   #144
Goaters
無月

hey. i have a "which power amp would be better" question.

i'm looking at the Mesa Stereo 2:50 and the Marshall EL34-50/50
i can get a clean trade in on either of those amps for my Line6 (clean trade in as in no money needs to exchange hands.)
looking at possibly getting a 2112, depending on whether or not this dude up north wants to sell his.
anyway.. they both sound spiffy as hell, i don't have the opportunity to try either of them out so im kinda going on opinions of those who have tried them.. i think mike use to have the mesa 2:50?.. but has anyone tried the Marshall? the description on the website makes this power amp sound very good.
any 2 cents would be great :)
oh yeah also would 50 watts per-channel be loud enough? or would it be more suitable to go for the 100 watt perchannel models ?

Last edited by Goaters; 02-15-2007 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: extra question
Old 02-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #145
brutalized

I have had both the mesa 2:50 and a marshall el34 poweramp....but the marshall was a 100/100 version. Both poweramps are worth the money, I think the mesa sounded a little beefier. The marshall is loud as fuck! They do not make the mesa 2:50's anymore I believe.
brutalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 AM   #146
brutalized

50 watts should be plenty of power....
brutalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #147
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalized View Post
I have had both the mesa 2:50 and a marshall el34 poweramp....but the marshall was a 100/100 version. Both poweramps are worth the money, I think the mesa sounded a little beefier. The marshall is loud as fuck! They do not make the mesa 2:50's anymore I believe.
great thanks for the info.
they stopped making the 2:50s?.. hmm

know of any other good poweramps at the same price range as these two?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 AM   #148
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters View Post
hey. i have a "which power amp would be better" question.

i'm looking at the Mesa Stereo 2:50 and the Marshall EL34-50/50
i can get a clean trade in on either of those amps for my Line6 (clean trade in as in no money needs to exchange hands.)
looking at possibly getting a 2112, depending on whether or not this dude up north wants to sell his.
anyway.. they both sound spiffy as hell, i don't have the opportunity to try either of them out so im kinda going on opinions of those who have tried them.. i think mike use to have the mesa 2:50?.. but has anyone tried the Marshall? the description on the website makes this power amp sound very good.
any 2 cents would be great :)
oh yeah also would 50 watts per-channel be loud enough? or would it be more suitable to go for the 100 watt perchannel models ?
Hmm, between those two I would probably pick the Mesa. Both have the same power, but the EL34's in the Marshall aren't ideal for clean tones. 6l6's have a deeper, tighter bass, less mids and a more pronounced high end. They also break up/distort less which makes them more suitable for clean tones. On the other hand, el34's have a little less bass, and a more pronounced midrange. They break up sooner and some people prefer them for metal/hard rock tones since they add some distortion to the tone, and the midrange is punchier. Both amps will be plenty loud and you should have some headroom to spare. But If possible, I would try both of them. You might love the saturation you'll get from the Marshall with el34's, and you might prefer the Mesa with the 6l6's.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #149
shroudofimpurity

my bro has the Marshall poweramp... It does sound amazing, he uses it for clean tones with his 2112, very warm tone. I just recorded his new album and he used the Marshall power amp and the digitech 2112, sounds amazing... But in the end I think I would go for the Mesa, 6L6's seem more tight and punchy, but you can still get great tone with EL34's too... awesome solo tones!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #150
Goaters
無月

hey thanks for the info guys, much appreciate your 2 cents + knowledge
the Mesa sounds like it might be more what i'm looking for.
but i think i will see if i can have a play around on both of these.