SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Spawn of Possession

Spawn of Possession Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
bryzz

Line-up update deluxe.

Two very talented and competent musicians has recently joined Spawn of Possession.
Matthew Chalk (Ex-Psycroptic) is going to handle the vocal and lyric writing.
Christian Muenzner (Obscura, Ex-Necrophagist) is going to do the Lead Guitar part and unleash his madness
into the multicoloured and distorted universe of Spawn of Possession. The Line-up is now complete:

Vocals - Matthew Chalk
Bass - Erlend Caspersen
Drums - Richard Schill
Guitar - Christian Muenzner
Guitar - Jonas Bryssling
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Skin Coffin
- - - - - - - -

Never would I have imagined Chalky and Christian to join SoP.

Bryzz, does Christian being the 'Lead Guitar' in the band mean that you wont be playing/writing any solos on the new album?
Skin Coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
bryzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin Coffin View Post
Never would I have imagined Chalky and Christian to join SoP.

Bryzz, does Christian being the 'Lead Guitar' in the band mean that you wont be playing/writing any solos on the new album?
I dont know, maybe I play one or two, but Christian is a lot better on stuff like that.
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
blooddrunk
contagion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzz View Post
I dont know, maybe I play one or two, but Christian is a lot better on stuff like that.
dude its gonna be awesome hearing what you have to offer as far as solo's. knowing the music you create i am sure they will be very intense. i am very excited to hear that there is serious progress and already 6 songs done! when the new sop cd comes out i am gonna go to the grocery load up on food and just listen to the new cd for a whole week and not leave my house.

Last edited by blooddrunk; 10-27-2009 at 12:54 AM..
blooddrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
Inertiopus

I like theory in practice and all but seriously SOP shits on them several times.
Inertiopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
crispy
crispy burger

awesome news
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
phagist_
scatter the ember

win
phagist_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
TheAlphaBreed
Never Ending.

I'm assuming Chalky is/isn't relocating?..
TheAlphaBreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:46 AM   #9
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlphaBreed View Post
I'm assuming Chalky is/isn't relocating?..
Haha yes, you are right in your assumption that I am or am not relocating haha.

But no, i am not relocating.
Dr. Kang Mao-pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #10
Fractal_Mortality

I am so essited.
Fractal_Mortality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
phagist_
scatter the ember

is this gunna be your priority or Mepho, Chalky?
phagist_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

Quote:
Originally Posted by phagist_ View Post
is this gunna be your priority or Mepho, Chalky?
It's not really about priorities, each one has its place. BUT Mepho is here, where I live, and the dudes are my bros, so of course Mepho is more part of me, etc. But both things are exciting, and need the max C-dog effort haha.
Dr. Kang Mao-pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
Murko
analny labuznik

what a great news !!!!!
Murko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
daff3
Singer/Growling

sweet news! great freaking line up. Kommer ju låta nice det här!
daff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
cytrus47

great line-up...however, i really hope the leads are not necrophagist/obscura II. Not that they're bad or anything, but i hope they are unique to fit SoP's style.
cytrus47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #16
MarkMacDonald

Holy shit. Really, really, really awesome line-up. I would not have expected this line-up to happen at all. I am absolutely stoked. Chalky's vocals are killer, and Christian is a pretty amazing guitarist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytrus47 View Post
great line-up...however, i really hope the leads are not necrophagist/obscura II. Not that they're bad or anything, but i hope they are unique to fit SoP's style.
I may be horribly wrong, but I don't think Christian wrote any of the leads on any Necrophagist tracks besides possibly Symbiotic in Theory. Hopefully somebody can clarify this for me.

Edit: Richard better have been practicing Scorched!

Last edited by MarkMacDonald; 06-26-2009 at 02:03 AM..
MarkMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #17
Inertiopus

Christian wrote all his own leads for both bands. Thats pretty much the norm for lead players.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Abstract_Logic

Christian wrote a solo in Stabwound, the second solo in the Stillborn One, all of the solo in Epitaph, the first and third in Only Ash Remains, the solo in Seven, and the first in Symbiotic in Theory. The guy can shred and I'm sure he'll do a great job at finding a sound that fits SoP even if it ISNT a karlsson II
Abstract_Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Inertiopus

I didn`t like karlsson`s leads. The only complaint I had about SOP.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #20
Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiopus View Post
I didn`t like karlsson`s leads. The only complaint I had about SOP.
Just wanted to say this is one SoP/guitarists opinion, nothing more. If you disagree or agree just remember its only my personal taste.

I couldn't disagree more to your post. Listen to tracks like "Uncle Damfee" or "Sour Flow" or really any SoP tracks for the solos. His timing and phrasing is some of the most unique I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. Even if he only wrote the solos in the band, he was a very valuable addition and did much to paint the SoP sound.

Christian Muenzner on the other hand, to me is a 'paint-by-numbers' guitarist. His solos for Obscura, and the guitar parts in Obscura (definetly excluding the bass when I say this) are uninspired and lack the 'spirit' that makes good death metal good. It sounds like he is playing the notes just to play them. Of course he is an elite world class guitarist, and he has his chops down. His technical side is faultless (a prerequiste for this band anyway right?)

I just feel he lacks that 'spirit' that the soloists that the Karlssons, the Lemays, the Masvidals and the Shuldiners have. I know this is extremely elite company, but I would place SoP right up there with the all time greats of death metal. I think they deserve an all-time great guitarist handlings the leads.

All that said, I trust Bryssling's musical sense so I remain hopeful. He can see the SoP vision clearer than I can, and I will listen to the new stuff with an open mind. Just wanted to get my thoughts out to other fans of the band. I am glad to hear the band has a full line-up again! Congrats to all new members~~
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #21
Litany21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract_Logic View Post
Christian wrote a solo in Stabwound, the second solo in the Stillborn One, all of the solo in Epitaph, the first and third in Only Ash Remains, the solo in Seven, and the first in Symbiotic in Theory. The guy can shred and I'm sure he'll do a great job at finding a sound that fits SoP even if it ISNT a karlsson II
I PMed Christian a long time ago and asked him what he wrote, and he said he only wrote the first 1:15 of Symbiotic in Theory, right before the little bass break into the "Gravity forces..." part.

I think what you meant is that he PLAYED those mentioned solos. Which he did play them but did not write them.
Litany21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #22
necrochris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litany21 View Post
I PMed Christian a long time ago and asked him what he wrote, and he said he only wrote the first 1:15 of Symbiotic in Theory, right before the little bass break into the "Gravity forces..." part.

I think what you meant is that he PLAYED those mentioned solos. Which he did play them but did not write them.
I didn't wanna reply in public to this as I don't know how to change my username in here and everyone knows I'm not "Necrochris" anymore hehe. Anyway, I feel I need to set this straight after reading this. Concerning the compositions of the songs, you're right, I only wrote the first 1:20 or whatever minutes of Symbiotic, but I "wrote" all my solos, I didn't think anyone would refer to solos as writing too, as I always viewed a solo part as a part that the composer of the song writes (that means, the chords or riffs to solo over) and the soloist takes this harmonic basis and interprets it in his own style, but that's not composition to me, so "writing" a solo is kind of a strange term to me. Do you guys also think that Marty Friedman didn't come up with the solos on Rust In Peace himself just because only Mustaine is credited as the composer?
Muhammed was with me when we recorded my leads though and suggested some phrasings or to take out the speed here and there, which I did as it sounded better in the end, but to 80% those solos are the way that I play and interpret those solo parts. My note choice is very different from Muhammed's, so anyone who says it sounds exactly the same really isn't listening closely.

Anyway, this is not a Necro, but an SoP forum. The solos I'm planning to do for SoP cannot sound like Necro or Obscura as the solo parts are totally different to approach and provide totally different possibilities to play over them in terms of harmony and rhythm, so there is no chance it will sound 100% as it does in the other 2 bands I was/am involved, and of course a good soloist should always try to stick to the stylistic trademarks of a band while still maintaining his own voice. Anyone who knows a bit about lead playing will know that the harmonic and rhythmic foundation given does influence the way a solo will turn out in the end as well, so the idea of playing a Necro solo on an SoP song which so many are worried about seems kinda odd to me.
necrochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #23
FrigidCrypts

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrochris View Post
I didn't wanna reply in public to this as I don't know how to change my username in here and everyone knows I'm not "Necrochris" anymore hehe. Anyway, I feel I need to set this straight after reading this. Concerning the compositions of the songs, you're right, I only wrote the first 1:20 or whatever minutes of Symbiotic, but I "wrote" all my solos, I didn't think anyone would refer to solos as writing too, as I always viewed a solo part as a part that the composer of the song writes (that means, the chords or riffs to solo over) and the soloist takes this harmonic basis and interprets it in his own style, but that's not composition to me, so "writing" a solo is kind of a strange term to me. Do you guys also think that Marty Friedman didn't come up with the solos on Rust In Peace himself just because only Mustaine is credited as the composer?
Muhammed was with me when we recorded my leads though and suggested some phrasings or to take out the speed here and there, which I did as it sounded better in the end, but to 80% those solos are the way that I play and interpret those solo parts. My note choice is very different from Muhammed's, so anyone who says it sounds exactly the same really isn't listening closely.

Anyway, this is not a Necro, but an SoP forum. The solos I'm planning to do for SoP cannot sound like Necro or Obscura as the solo parts are totally different to approach and provide totally different possibilities to play over them in terms of harmony and rhythm, so there is no chance it will sound 100% as it does in the other 2 bands I was/am involved, and of course a good soloist should always try to stick to the stylistic trademarks of a band while still maintaining his own voice. Anyone who knows a bit about lead playing will know that the harmonic and rhythmic foundation given does influence the way a solo will turn out in the end as well, so the idea of playing a Necro solo on an SoP song which so many are worried about seems kinda odd to me.
Chris, your guitar playing has been unique and inspiring in every band that you've played in. I completely believe that you can easily add to the style of Spawn of Possession whilst still understanding their conceptual sound and being able to continue that.

Good luck in your new position and I cannot wait to hear what you will create with these geniuses... You've influenced my band as much as SoP has and well, now you're with them!
FrigidCrypts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #24
Murko
analny labuznik

Quote:

The solos I'm planning to do for SoP cannot sound like Necro or Obscura as the solo parts are totally different to approach and provide totally different possibilities to play over them in terms of harmony and rhythm, so there is no chance it will sound 100% as it does in the other 2 bands I was/am involved
Im realy pleased with it.
Murko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #25
Mister_Willy
Will

Quote:

Speaking of your writing, Universe Momentum is the best song (imo) on Cosmogenesis.
Mister_Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #26
cytrus47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Willy View Post
Speaking of your writing, Universe Momentum is the best song (imo) on Cosmogenesis.
this
cytrus47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #27
Litany21

Quote:

Long time no hear dude!! Welcome to Spawn of Possession. I'm sure your collaberation and input will be wonderfully accepted!!

So if writing credits are given to only one person, does that mean the other musicians have some say or that it's interpreted differently?
Litany21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #28
MarkMacDonald

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I was only going by word of mouth on that one. Either way I'm stoked to hear what he has in store for SOP.

Last edited by MarkMacDonald; 06-26-2009 at 06:00 PM..
MarkMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #29
munkysauce13

so stoked. I missed chalkys vocals in psycroptic one of my favorite bands and now hes goin to be on one of my other favorite bands. cant wait.
munkysauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #30
Mister_Willy
Will

holy shit this is the best news of the year!!!!

what a monster line up of death metal vets in this band...
Mister_Willy is offline   Reply With Quote