SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > The Dillinger Escape Plan

The Dillinger Escape Plan Website

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #91
Willith
Banned

Willith slam gang member
First of all, if Greg doesn't do steroids (and I'm not saying he does or doesn't) then he should be filing a lawsuit for libel and defamation of character- right now. I'm assuming DEP have a personal manager and an entertainment lawyer, so get on it.

Secondly, this article reeks of ignorance and hypocrisy. The reason nobody talks about steroids in music is because they are practically non-existent when compared to the amount of DRUGS musicians are so well known for going overboard with. Nobody even bats an eye anymore when finding out about celebrities or musicians on drugs- it's more of "...figures" response. That's tired and old as shit. This asshole was trying to PROVOKE a response, because just the mention of the word "steroids" sets off a knee-jerk reaction- a reaction based off extreme ignorance and regurgitation. This story only aims to reinforce the idea that steroids are bad and a dirty little secret.

The writer clearly displayed no knowledge of steroids, as he neglected to even mention "anabolic" steroid use (I read it a few days ago, I could be wrong), which is what he was referring to. Nobody seems to give a fuck when Roger Clemens or Andre Agassi need a cortisone shot- why not? It's a steroid- It's corticosteroids, which tend to have way worse side effects than anabolic steroids. Corticosteroids are used in a lot of prescribed medications to help inflammation and arthritis. My mom was just on Prednisone for blood clot reasons. The possible side-effects were many and extremely serious. Just like with anabolic steroids, she had to taper-off, as going "cold-turkey" could seriously fuck up your endocrine system, among other things. My girlfriend is on birth-control, which is Progesterone, which- you guessed it- is a steroid. Half the people in my family are on steroids- but I'm the only one who gets any shit for it, not because I'm on gear- just because I'm big and work-out a lot.

Steroids are looked down upon because of the GOOD they do, not the bad. I've seen people give "ex"-heroin and coke addicts more respect than people who admit to using or have used juice. AAS users are extremely critical of what goes in their body- diet and otherwise. They're not trying to destroy themselves or escape reality like drug users do. Half the people in this country are so fucked up on Vicodin, Adderall, Lunesta, Propecia, birth-control, aspirin, tylenol, beta-blockers, other pain-killers and shit for depression - shit that REALLY messes with your hormones and nobody gives a fuck. But one baseball player or "Wrestler" does steroids and it's all you can see on cable news. A bunch of people died/committed suicide from taking Chantix. Just trying to quit smoking and it totally fucked them up. Anytime you see a new drug being advertised the list of side-effects are MIND-BOGGLING. There's lawsuits against so many drug companies right now- and you don't even have to look further than your t.v. to see a Jim Sokolove commercial about it. Yet, I hear no out-cry from the mainstream media to put an end to it.

And that brings us back to the asshat "journalist" and the very reason he did the story. I'm sure nobody knew who he was or paid much attention to him until this story broke. If it hadn't been for Greg posting it on Facebook, I never would've read it either. Greg's a big dude and I kinda figured he did juice. I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, because either way he's jacked and that takes a lot of work, time and effort. I understand he's gotta say what he's gotta say- there's so much false-information about steroids that is constantly reinforced by idiot journalists like this guy, that it pretty much forces everyone to lie about it. So you'll basically never hear anyone admit it. It's definitely a "you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't" situation.

*longest post of thread* I win.

Last edited by Willith; 01-16-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Willith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:43 AM   #92
FrequencyAssBandit
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

FrequencyAssBandit slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by okuratho View Post
Dude, I have nothing against a controlled careful use of Creatine. (I wouldn't do it myself though)
I just feel it goes against the proud "I don't cheat" mentality.
Well honestly I look at it in the sense of its not illegal/banned for use in powerlifting meets so I'm gonna use it, now that's not to say even though steroids are ok in some federations I'll start putting a needle in my ass, maybe when/if ever (doubtful) I get to the point where I just can't get any stronger naturally, but even then probably not. Also yes too much creatine can hurt you, along with too much water, or vitamin C.

Steroids are really the same way, just because its seen as unfair to some does not make it cheating unless the rules say so, hell in baseball while it was basically just frowned upon it nobody really cared until 2002. Go find me information about how many people die every year in the US with steroids being proven as the main reason. While I don't condone use of it I see no reason to get riled up over it unless it directly affects you.

Sorry about the strong rant, just get tired hearing about these arguments as they pertain to my life quite often.

Edit: High five to the guy above me, good to see someone else who doesn't have their head up their pooper. Also just to kill off another steroid myth, the reason people seemed to associate the irritable anger feeling with AAS is not due to the fact that it makes you rage, but that they get depressed coming off a cycle because they don't want to lose the feeling they had on it.

Here's an excellent movie that can say all this much better then I can, and gives a perspective from people who actually do it.
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/bi...aster/31356977

Make her feel like it's the 30's. Smack the bitch around and demand a roast.

Last edited by FrequencyAssBandit; 01-16-2010 at 05:51 AM.
FrequencyAssBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #93
Willith
Banned

Willith slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequencyAssBandit View Post

Steroids are really the same way, just because its seen as unfair to some does not make it cheating unless the rules say so, hell in baseball while it was basically just frowned upon it nobody really cared until 2002. Go find me information about how many people die every year in the US with steroids being proven as the main reason. While I don't condone use of it I see no reason to get riled up over it unless it directly affects you.
In 2006, deaths related to steroids amounted to a staggering: 3
Meanwhile deaths related to alcohol were a mere: 75,000
and smoking/tobacco: 125,000

Current statistics are incredibly hard to come by.

Quote:
Edit: High five to the guy above me, good to see someone else who doesn't have their head up their pooper. Also just to kill off another steroid myth, the reason people seemed to associate the irritable anger feeling with AAS is not due to the fact that it makes you rage, but that they get depressed coming off a cycle because they don't want to lose the feeling they had on it.
Well, that's not necessarily true. There's no reason you should ever feel depressed coming off a cycle as long as you run Post Cycle Therapy (this is essentially where you "taper-off" or help bring things back online slowly). With the Aromatize-inhibitaors (A.I.s) and Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) available today, there's really NO reason you should ever even have to deal with side effects.

Yeah, BSF is a great documentary. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is on youtube now. ...err, unless it got removed, which also wouldn't surprise me.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #94
FrequencyAssBandit
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willith View Post

Well, that's not necessarily true. There's no reason you should ever feel depressed coming off a cycle as long as you run Post Cycle Therapy (this is essentially where you "taper-off" or help bring things back online slowly). With the Aromatize-inhibitaors (A.I.s) and Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) available today, there's really NO reason you should ever even have to deal with side effects.

Yeah, BSF is a great documentary. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is on youtube now. ...err, unless it got removed, which also wouldn't surprise me.
Well yea, but I'm more associating that with those of which are new to a cycle and don't quite know what to expect. Though you are absolutely are right.

Like stated in BFS, yes your balls shrink, yes you will get a bit hairy, etc etc. but all this is reversible, the problem as with any thing in life is those who don't know what they're doing ruin it for other as they get be it ravaging their liver taking ridiculous oral cycles, or not cycling off when they should with the proper PCTs.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 AM   #95
Willith
Banned

Willith slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequencyAssBandit View Post
Well yea, but I'm more associating that with those of which are new to a cycle and don't quite know what to expect. Though you are absolutely are right.

Like stated in BFS, yes your balls shrink, yes you will get a bit hairy, etc etc. but all this is reversible, the problem as with any thing in life is those who don't know what they're doing ruin it for other as they get be it ravaging their liver taking ridiculous oral cycles, or not cycling off when they should with the proper PCTs.
Well, no you won't necessarily get hairy either. In BSF they mention- some experience hair growth, but some don't. Neither of the Bell brothers did. Some people experience hair-loss (if prone) but you can run finasteride to combat that. Some side-effects are also determined by what compounds you're running. Some people can't sleep on certain compounds, while others sleep like a rock on the same thing. Some people sweet more in their sleep, some don't. Some people get oily skin or acne, some people's acne even clears up. It's just like anything else- some people can't eat deciduous fruit, some people get gassy when eating certain foods, some people have protein farts/shits.
Testicular atrophy and temporarily elevated BP level are probably the only guarantee.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #96
Yossarian
t(-_-t)

Yossarian slam gang member
Do powerlifters or whatever they're called take supplements as well as bodybuilders?
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #97
Willith
Banned

Willith slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
Do powerlifters or whatever they're called take supplements as well as bodybuilders?
Well yeah, anybody trying to increase strength or build muscle will (should) take some kind of supplement. Most people stick with just whey protein, BCAAs, fish oil/flax oil, and creatine.
Sometimes supplements and steroids get lumped in together (incorrectly). Creatine is naturally produced in your body, but so is testosterone. One is a steroid, one isn't.

A lot of supplements, save the ones mentioned above, are a waste of money. The supplement industry is insane. Some rip you off, some work really well (and basically are steroids), and some can put your health at risk (ephedra? every fake Tren supp. ever?) The supplement industry is so loosely regulated that shit that really shouldn't be on the shelves can be on there for years before getting pulled. I really think a lot of the fake "-drol" and "prohormone" marketed supps are more dangerous than real gear. Especially because dumbass 17 year old kids are getting a hold of them and have no idea what they're doing.

Last edited by Willith; 01-16-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #98
Laner
Captain Chaos

Laner slam gang member
Personally, I refuse to use any sort of supplements or P.E.D.'s. Anything not approved by the FDA should be seen as a red flag.

With that being said, another key component to any sort of exercise routine is REST. Your body needs time to recover from breaking itself down through strength training and cardiovascular training. I've learned the hard way that overexercising can become a problem on a physical level.

Laner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #99
Greene
Custom User Title

Greene slam gang member
I've been taking 3 table spoons of n.o. xplode before lifting and my recovery time has pretty much been cut in half. I have more endurance doing cardio too. Every review I've read of it says just take creatine but I think the b12 has something to do with it too. I don't care if it's considered cheating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack Hitler View Post
"he calls me all the time"?
Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #100
Willith
Banned

Willith slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene View Post
I've been taking 3 table spoons of n.o. xplode before lifting and my recovery time has pretty much been cut in half. I have more endurance doing cardio too. Every review I've read of it says just take creatine but I think the b12 has something to do with it too. I don't care if it's considered cheating.
LOL- it's not cheating. It's really just a shit load of caffeine and b12. There's a little creatine in it too, but 'cellmass' is BSN's creatine supp. (which, is pretty worthless and overpriced). NO Xplode is great for an N.O., but it won't make your recovery time half as fast. -Though I think you were meaning you feel ready to do your next set in half the time you normally would, which is about normal with that stuff.
Gotta be careful with that stuff too. I've done 4 scoops before and had a hell of a time trying to fall asleep. VERY jittery.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #101
singularity

singularity slam gang member

kinda random: this seems to be a pretty extreme case of the terrible side effects you get from using steroids, but still....why risk something like this?
singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #102
Yossarian
t(-_-t)

Yossarian slam gang member
the fuck is wrong with people. if this is all about 'pushing yourself' then i'm a blue horse. on a tricycle.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:19 AM   #103
FrequencyAssBandit
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
the fuck is wrong with people. if this is all about 'pushing yourself' then i'm a blue horse. on a tricycle.
I'd say to a point it is about pushing yourself, but that's only the way I see it for someone whose career depends on it for the most part. Baseball players are a great example of this, they basically get payed based on being better than what the other team has, if the way for them to get there is some type of PED, then that's the way it goes, now am I saying it's impossible to be pro in something in not juice, no, but if so many do then where does that leave those on the moral high ground.

Though since to my knowledge no one on here is competitive on a professional level in any sport issues like this should be of no concern. Just lift big, eat a lot, have fun and try to constantly push yourself to new levels, that's all that truly matters.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #104
sickeveryday

sickeveryday slam gang member
you guys seem to know what ur talking about so i'll ask for some advice.

in the past year i've lost about 12 kilos (25 pounds i believe) and the only place on my body that has an abundance of fat remaining is my stomach. Everywhere else i'm toned but i just cant seem to lose the belly fat. is this an indication that i need to increase my cardiovascular fitness?

I was thinking of either eating more and doing more strength training to build more muscle so my body will burn the extra fat easier, or eating normally and doing more cardio workouts. advice?
sickeveryday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #105
FrequencyAssBandit
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickeveryday View Post
you guys seem to know what ur talking about so i'll ask for some advice.

in the past year i've lost about 12 kilos (25 pounds i believe) and the only place on my body that has an abundance of fat remaining is my stomach. Everywhere else i'm toned but i just cant seem to lose the belly fat. is this an indication that i need to increase my cardiovascular fitness?

I was thinking of either eating more and doing more strength training to build more muscle so my body will burn the extra fat easier, or eating normally and doing more cardio workouts. advice?
First off congrats on the weight loss. Your body burns fat generally in an even amount throughout your body, firstly in the places it feels it needs it the least. Without seeing you I can't give specific advice, but I'll assume you have a small amount of lean muscle which does make it harder to cut down to lower bodyfat levels. Another factor that helped me with the last bit was getting my diet in line, I found carb cycling to be the best for this.

There are few methods though to get the last bit of fat off, one is simply slowly adding lean mass, which will possibly make you lose fat at the same time. If you choose to keep cutting weight I'd recommend doing some low intensity (semi paced consistent walK) on an empty stomach for about 30-45 minutes in the morning followed by a good hearty breakfast. On days you do no physical exercise, be it lifting or cardio, drop your carb intake down, limit it to about 50g. Days you exert the most effort in exercise increase your intake of carbs to about 200g+ range, and other days find a good medium.

Also spread your meals out evenly during the day, with your largest carb intake centered around your workouts to maximize the nutrients.