SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Spawn of Possession

Spawn of Possession Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 06-28-2006, 12:31 AM   #31
Illapse

Amen to that :) Sop is the most under-rated band ever. I got bored of necrophagist long ago.
Illapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 AM   #32
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdevilbunny
The reason Spawn of Possession is better than Necrophagist is simple. They aren't technical to the point of annoying wankery(see: Necrophagist). They can be amazingly technical and brutal at the same time, without going into annoying "deedley-doodley" solo's all the time.

If I wanted to hear technical wankery, i'd be listening to Dream Theater ;)
do you even "listen" to necrophagist?

iunno im with sweetXmajestic on this one... couldnt have said it better myself...
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #33
Dago

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdevilbunny
The reason Spawn of Possession is better than Necrophagist is simple. They aren't technical to the point of annoying wankery(see: Necrophagist). They can be amazingly technical and brutal at the same time, without going into annoying "deedley-doodley" solo's all the time.

If I wanted to hear technical wankery, i'd be listening to Dream Theater ;)
This term technical wankery is getting old.
Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #34
AnthonyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadNote
I agree 100%....I just think necro has the full package as far as all the members really standing out, really its just the bass missing from SOP IMO.
how is the bass "missing" from SoP... Dewerud is an excellent bassist and his playing and tone on both albums is head and shoulders above many others
AnthonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #35
AnthonyB

he plays bass. he makes the songs lower and heavier and grimier. and he's damn good at it. people think bassists need to have generic tap parts and other cliched shit in their playing before they qualify as good musicians. bs
Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #36
ChAAPY
it's one louder

so after listening to this several time I've to this conclusion. "Cabinet" has the better songs, no question about that for me. It was the first time ever hearing them and it will always be a favorite of mine. The songs are a bit more catchy on "Cabinet" but the new one.... my god the new rips. The musicianship is excellent, some of the best ever in death metal... EVER!!! I'm so glad this wasn't a "Cabinet II" also. The progessive inlfuences really stand out more on this album too. Definetly giving it variety and every song has it's own identity which is another plus. Excellent riffs, very tastefully drumming, and some very awesome vocals. "Noctambulant" is by far the best death metal CD to come out this year so far. AMAZING ALBUM!!!
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #37
[qliphoth / daemons]
rubiks cube fag

"Noctambulant" is incredible. I've listened to it at least 5 times and it will seriously tear you a new asshole...

"Render my Prey" would definitely be a highlight for me.

My only problem with it is that I think (and remember kiddies, this is just my OPINION) the production on "Cabinet" was much better. The guitar tone on "Noctambulant" is a little bit cloudier, whereas "Cabinet" had a really crisp, clear sound.

But don't get me wrong...This is NOT something that detracts from the overall sound or musicianship of the album at all. It's just a 'different' sound. In fact, the more I listen to it, the more I warm to the overall sound. So one thing I would suggest NOT doing is comparing them side by side. If you listen to "Noctambulant" with fresh ears, you will appreciate it that little bit more.

But "Noctambulant" is definitely poised to become a new favourite of mine...

So yeah...the album itself is amazing and congrats go out to SOP for showing everyone just how it's done...AGAIN.
[qliphoth / daemons] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #38
sweetXmajestic
The Metal Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB
he plays bass. he makes the songs lower and heavier and grimier. and he's damn good at it. people think bassists need to have generic tap parts and other cliched shit in their playing before they qualify as good musicians. bs
Yes, he is, and he does what he needs to do in the band to fully inject what the bass is supposed to be there for. The bassist is just what you said, but sometimes people like more from a bassist. Bass can be handled in many ways, I'm sure you obviously know that. For me it depends on the music. On SOP meterial, I don't exactly think there is room for the bassist to do more then he does. But in some bands, such as Spiral Architect, Athiest, Iron Maiden, Alarum, Necrophsgist, etc. etc. I actually like that the bass adds extra intricate parts to the song. It's not there just to hold up the lower end, it actually makes itself an extra part of the song. So for me I guess it just depends on the band and the music being played around it. I recently heard Quo Vadis "Defiant Imagination", and I think there's an example of somewhere the bass is too prominent and I actually thought it was a bit much for the music being played around it. I don't think that bassists who don't do "more then their part" suck, I just like some bands where the bass player is an intricate whack.
sweetXmajestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #39
AnthonyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetXmajestic
Yes, he is, and he does what he needs to do in the band to fully inject what the bass is supposed to be there for. The bassist is just what you said, but sometimes people like more from a bassist. Bass can be handled in many ways, I'm sure you obviously know that. For me it depends on the music. On SOP meterial, I don't exactly think there is room for the bassist to do more then he does. But in some bands, such as Spiral Architect, Athiest, Iron Maiden, Alarum, Necrophsgist, etc. etc. I actually like that the bass adds extra intricate parts to the song. It's not there just to hold up the lower end, it actually makes itself an extra part of the song. So for me I guess it just depends on the band and the music being played around it. I recently heard Quo Vadis "Defiant Imagination", and I think there's an example of somewhere the bass is too prominent and I actually thought it was a bit much for the music being played around it. I don't think that bassists who don't do "more then their part" suck, I just like some bands where the bass player is an intricate whack.
i definitely agree with your post and do appreciate it when bassists spice it up and make it more interesting.

But there is definitely a fine line between 'interesting' and 'wanky.' I would agree that in Spiral Architect, Athiest, Iron Maiden, Alarum, Necrophagist and many others the bass is more prominent sometimes but still holds down the groove. I think probably my all time favorite example of this would be either Death's ITP or the Control Denied album.

as you said, I think the intricacy of the SoP songs and the tightness of the arrangements makes it more difficult for Dewerud to do alot of noodling little fills, etc.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #40
DeadNote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB
how is the bass "missing" from SoP... Dewerud is an excellent bassist and his playing and tone on both albums is head and shoulders above many others
Thats just my opinion on the matter i enjoy bands with more of a bass presences then what Sop has "Not that i dont enjoy Sop".I really enjoy it when everyone in the band plays a big role in the sound in that sense i prefer necrophagist.I really would love to hear some bass on a Sop album like on the new Anata its great playing but it's not generic tapping as you call it "which i happen to enjoy" but i agree that tapping and all that may not fit well with Sop.But i have not gotten my pre order yet so it may be full of some great bass lines.
DeadNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:13 AM   #41
Grindmasterflesh
Cashflow Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtbringer
It's a bad way to start off a day finding no pre-order-package in your letter box.
yeah, It just sucks so hard man!
Grindmasterflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:35 AM   #42
corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadNote
Thats just my opinion on the matter i enjoy bands with more of a bass presences then what Sop has "Not that i dont enjoy Sop".I really enjoy it when everyone in the band plays a big role in the sound in that sense i prefer necrophagist.I really would love to hear some bass on a Sop album like on the new Anata its great playing but it's not generic tapping as you call it "which i happen to enjoy" but i agree that tapping and all that may not fit well with Sop.But i have not gotten my pre order yet so it may be full of some great bass lines.
I know I'm probably not alowed to enter this discussion.. but just listen to my man Dewerud shredding in the last half of "Scorched" for example! the bassline he plays from around 1.20min into the song is just so great. it's not THAT complex but it just fits so well to the song. That is what makes DW great I think. He plays what the song need him to play.

Last edited by corsair; 07-02-2006 at 05:19 PM..
corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #43
babality

Fuckin awesome work guys. I was expecting this shit a long time since Cabinet back to 2003.
This album is different and awesome. Great work guys. Great work!!!
babality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #44
Vriend
Afro Dog

Hail Spawn of Possession.

Scorched is the most genious record you have made, sick shit man! 2:08-3:00
Vriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #45
AnthonyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair
I know I'm probably not alowed to enter this discussion.. but just listen to my man Dewerud shredding in the last half of "Scorched" for example! the bassline he plays from around 1.20min into the song is just so great. it's not THAT compex but it just fits so well to the song. That is what makes DW great I think. He plays what the song need him to play.
he is awesome. most metal bass players could not play what I've heard on Noctambulant. I really prefer the tone on this album to "Cabinet" as well. Much heavier.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #46
DeadNote

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair
I know I'm probably not alowed to enter this discussion.. but just listen to my man Dewerud shredding in the last half of "Scorched" for example! the bassline he plays from around 1.20min into the song is just so great. it's not THAT compex but it just fits so well to the song. That is what makes DW great I think. He plays what the song need him to play.
I have no doubt that he is a great bass player i was just discussing about why i prefer necro over sop and the only thing that was holding me back was the bass.I really cant wait to get my pre order so i can hear Sour Flow im seeing too many good things said about it to be forced to wait this long.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #47
Asrynth

I just got my copy today and Let me say this record is phenomenal. I think it is a combination of Necrophagist and Psycroptic, and even a little Opeth! This record is brilliant, not a bad track on it and this is probably one of the most creative DM cds ever. This is the finest example of Tech Death songwriting ever and the finest use of the 7 string guitar in metal as well. I am overly pleased and sated with this record and it tops Psycroptic's - "Symbols of Failure" as my favorite release of 2006. Congratulations guys and a phenomenal job.
Asrynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #48
DeadNote

Im starting to wonder if i'll ever get mine.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:50 AM   #49
Deathgrinder

8 out of 10 points

German review (feel free to post YOUR rating in):

http://bruview.de/reviews.php?review...20Noctambulant
Deathgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #50
xdevilbunny

I want mine already. I want to wear my shirt to Emperor :P
xdevilbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #51
Leopold Stotch
Professor Chaos

Just one thing: I had so great expectations for this and this masterpiece fully met them.
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #52
Suicide Machine

I bow before this album.
Suicide Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #53
metzgored

Quote:
Originally Posted by [qliphoth / daemons]
"Noctambulant" is incredible. I've listened to it at least 5 times and it will seriously tear you a new asshole...

You are right, got my new asshole today and it fits perfect :toilet: (look neurotic rec forum, sop pre-orders)
metzgored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #54
The Beyond

did anyone else think this album was really boring?
the whole album to me sounds like a million random riffs that dont go together in some ditch effort to be "tek"....
The Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #55
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyond
did anyone else think this album was really boring?
the whole album to me sounds like a million random riffs that dont go together in some ditch effort to be "tek"....
go back and listen to limb bizkit noob... :P:P

no seriously... why the hate?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #56
Suicide Machine

It is indeed very intense, and I will need a few more listens to fully appreciate the fucking incredible music on this cd. But after only two listens, I have a very good impression of how good it actually is.
Suicide Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 AM   #57
The Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Doodl3.2
go back and listen to limb bizkit noob... :P:P

no seriously... why the hate?
limp bizkit... how original

there is no "hate"... i just feel the album sucked, go play warcraft.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 AM   #58
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyond
limp bizkit... how original

there is no "hate"... i just feel the album sucked, go play warcraft.
im just very interested in knowing what you DONT consider "tech for the sake of being tech"... Because i understand the huge subjectivity of music... but some things are just wrong...example its like saying kurt cobain's a better musician than steve vai... or saying SoP write tech music just for the hell of it ;)
Old 07-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #59
The Beyond

ok tek boi...
Old 07-10-2006, 06:38 AM   #60
nmorchyths

after listening twice to noctamulant i must say that cabinet is better, imo. i think it has the better songs (each with it's own identity!) on it.

regarding sour flow: i think that this is the weakest song on the album, by far not the best. mainly because of the disharmonics. as proved on two other tracks (don't remember their names) sop are able to do great cynic-clean-guitar-stuff. why those disharmonic parts? i really dislike them. they seem to be done by unexperienced kids trying to do some "progressive" stuff.
but that's just my opinion.
nmorchyths is offline   Reply With Quote