Spawn of Possession Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #31
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
I'm going by his soloing alone. I didn't care for the soloing he contributed to either Obscura or Epitaph. Playing with Defeated Sanity proves his proficiency but to my knowledge he didn't play any solos. I'm not sure if he wrote any riffs for Defeated Sanity, and what exactly did he record with them? I thought he joined after Psalms and has now left.
Christian was in Defeated Sanity from earlier rather than later actually. Apparently from 1999-2002. Which means he played on their first release, which was a promo in 2000 (entitled Promo 2000 haha) and their split with Poppy Seed Grinder in 2002 (Poppy Seed Grinder/Defeated Sanity - Talk Evolution/The Parasite).
Couldn't say what riffs he wrote, if any. I'm assuming he had some input though.
Dr. Kang Mao-pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #32
Mister_Willy
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
Christian was in Defeated Sanity from earlier rather than later actually. Apparently from 1999-2002. Which means he played on their first release, which was a promo in 2000 (entitled Promo 2000 haha) and their split with Poppy Seed Grinder in 2002 (Poppy Seed Grinder/Defeated Sanity - Talk Evolution/The Parasite).
Couldn't say what riffs he wrote, if any. I'm assuming he had some input though.
Speaking of defeated sanity, Chalky, since you are in the mood for joining/helping bands out, they are looking for a vocalist!!! :)

BTW yes I know your vocal style is different from what they usually sound like, but I'm certain you can summon murky, macabre vocals from your awesome range of patterns.

SOTA remains my fav death metal album.
Mister_Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #33
Raad
'sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Willy View Post
Speaking of defeated sanity, Chalky, since you are in the mood for joining/helping bands out, they are looking for a vocalist!!! :)
No, they're not.
Raad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #34
Litany21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract_Logic View Post
Christian wrote a solo in Stabwound, the second solo in the Stillborn One, all of the solo in Epitaph, the first and third in Only Ash Remains, the solo in Seven, and the first in Symbiotic in Theory. The guy can shred and I'm sure he'll do a great job at finding a sound that fits SoP even if it ISNT a karlsson II
I PMed Christian a long time ago and asked him what he wrote, and he said he only wrote the first 1:15 of Symbiotic in Theory, right before the little bass break into the "Gravity forces..." part.

I think what you meant is that he PLAYED those mentioned solos. Which he did play them but did not write them.
Litany21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #35
necrochris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litany21 View Post
I PMed Christian a long time ago and asked him what he wrote, and he said he only wrote the first 1:15 of Symbiotic in Theory, right before the little bass break into the "Gravity forces..." part.

I think what you meant is that he PLAYED those mentioned solos. Which he did play them but did not write them.
I didn't wanna reply in public to this as I don't know how to change my username in here and everyone knows I'm not "Necrochris" anymore hehe. Anyway, I feel I need to set this straight after reading this. Concerning the compositions of the songs, you're right, I only wrote the first 1:20 or whatever minutes of Symbiotic, but I "wrote" all my solos, I didn't think anyone would refer to solos as writing too, as I always viewed a solo part as a part that the composer of the song writes (that means, the chords or riffs to solo over) and the soloist takes this harmonic basis and interprets it in his own style, but that's not composition to me, so "writing" a solo is kind of a strange term to me. Do you guys also think that Marty Friedman didn't come up with the solos on Rust In Peace himself just because only Mustaine is credited as the composer?
Muhammed was with me when we recorded my leads though and suggested some phrasings or to take out the speed here and there, which I did as it sounded better in the end, but to 80% those solos are the way that I play and interpret those solo parts. My note choice is very different from Muhammed's, so anyone who says it sounds exactly the same really isn't listening closely.

Anyway, this is not a Necro, but an SoP forum. The solos I'm planning to do for SoP cannot sound like Necro or Obscura as the solo parts are totally different to approach and provide totally different possibilities to play over them in terms of harmony and rhythm, so there is no chance it will sound 100% as it does in the other 2 bands I was/am involved, and of course a good soloist should always try to stick to the stylistic trademarks of a band while still maintaining his own voice. Anyone who knows a bit about lead playing will know that the harmonic and rhythmic foundation given does influence the way a solo will turn out in the end as well, so the idea of playing a Necro solo on an SoP song which so many are worried about seems kinda odd to me.
necrochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #36
FrigidCrypts

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrochris View Post
I didn't wanna reply in public to this as I don't know how to change my username in here and everyone knows I'm not "Necrochris" anymore hehe. Anyway, I feel I need to set this straight after reading this. Concerning the compositions of the songs, you're right, I only wrote the first 1:20 or whatever minutes of Symbiotic, but I "wrote" all my solos, I didn't think anyone would refer to solos as writing too, as I always viewed a solo part as a part that the composer of the song writes (that means, the chords or riffs to solo over) and the soloist takes this harmonic basis and interprets it in his own style, but that's not composition to me, so "writing" a solo is kind of a strange term to me. Do you guys also think that Marty Friedman didn't come up with the solos on Rust In Peace himself just because only Mustaine is credited as the composer?
Muhammed was with me when we recorded my leads though and suggested some phrasings or to take out the speed here and there, which I did as it sounded better in the end, but to 80% those solos are the way that I play and interpret those solo parts. My note choice is very different from Muhammed's, so anyone who says it sounds exactly the same really isn't listening closely.

Anyway, this is not a Necro, but an SoP forum. The solos I'm planning to do for SoP cannot sound like Necro or Obscura as the solo parts are totally different to approach and provide totally different possibilities to play over them in terms of harmony and rhythm, so there is no chance it will sound 100% as it does in the other 2 bands I was/am involved, and of course a good soloist should always try to stick to the stylistic trademarks of a band while still maintaining his own voice. Anyone who knows a bit about lead playing will know that the harmonic and rhythmic foundation given does influence the way a solo will turn out in the end as well, so the idea of playing a Necro solo on an SoP song which so many are worried about seems kinda odd to me.
Chris, your guitar playing has been unique and inspiring in every band that you've played in. I completely believe that you can easily add to the style of Spawn of Possession whilst still understanding their conceptual sound and being able to continue that.

Good luck in your new position and I cannot wait to hear what you will create with these geniuses... You've influenced my band as much as SoP has and well, now you're with them!
FrigidCrypts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #37
Murko
analny labuznik

Quote:

The solos I'm planning to do for SoP cannot sound like Necro or Obscura as the solo parts are totally different to approach and provide totally different possibilities to play over them in terms of harmony and rhythm, so there is no chance it will sound 100% as it does in the other 2 bands I was/am involved
Im realy pleased with it.
Murko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #38
Mister_Willy
Will

Quote:

Speaking of your writing, Universe Momentum is the best song (imo) on Cosmogenesis.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #39
rippedflesh89

^^^ agreed... along with the instrumental track
rippedflesh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #40
Mister_Willy
Will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz7Xg_D8pzY
Old 07-10-2009, 03:19 AM   #41
LuketheBeef
Yersinia Pestis

i think the gutterals in Defeated Sanity are poop. but i think all gutterals are poop. but i think i will soon get over th vocals or at least tune them out, because i still appreciate the music in Defeated Sanity. Lyle Cooper has videos of him covering songs from Defeated Sanity yo. lol that band can't be complete shit.
LuketheBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #42
Alec

really happy Christian is in this band. Upon going over some Necro and Obscura tabs, his writing style fits SoP closer than I had originally thought. Chalky is just a unique vocalist all around.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #43
cytrus47

Quote:
Speaking of your writing, Universe Momentum is the best song (imo) on Cosmogenesis.
this
cytrus47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #44
Choronzon

This line-up is simply stunning, period.
Choronzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:46 AM   #45
GallowsforGrace
-T-D-M-

This is Fuckin awesome news, but arent you petrified of flying Chalky? howz that gonna work?
GallowsforGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #46
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallowsforGrace View Post
This is Fuckin awesome news, but arent you petrified of flying Chalky? howz that gonna work?
No, I'm not.
I'm not a fan of flying, but have done so on well over 100 occasions so I think that says something haha.
But anyway, at this stage my part in the band will be predominantly a recording position - but we shall see what the future brings...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #47
Mister_Willy
Will

Quote:
No, I'm not.
I'm not a fan of flying, but have done so on well over 100 occasions so I think that says something haha.
But anyway, at this stage my part in the band will be predominantly a recording position - but we shall see what the future brings...
Have you thought about which style you will use for the vocals? I for one would love if you kept the same weird yet groovy style of scepter. I think its fucken awesome
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 AM   #48
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

Nah, i'm going for 2 different vox styles only.
1 sounds like The Cookie Monster
2 sounds like Yoda

It's gonna rule.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #49
Mister_Willy
Will

hahah epic, My grandsons will tell tales of this album
Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #50
Fractal_Mortality

Quote:
My grandsons will tell tales of this album
lol, I really like this post.
Fractal_Mortality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #51
Scorched
These Lyrics Suck

Chalky, you've gotta do at least one huge (inhale?) high like the one at start of Skin Coffin Haha.

Can't wait for this album.
Scorched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #52
KingOfBlood

Quick Question

Are you gonna still be in Obscura, Chris?
KingOfBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #53
Eternal Recurrence

When do you guys expect the album to be finished/recorded/released?

Quote:
Nah, i'm going for 2 different vox styles only.
1 sounds like The Cookie Monster
2 sounds like Yoda

It's gonna rule.
Haha, I'm not sure if you were being serious or not, if it were up to me,
I'd say go crazy like you did on Scepter or the newest Mephistopheles tracks,
but who am I to talk anyway? You know your craft better than anyone else.

Oh, and it's also good to hear, that touring is a possibility.
Eternal Recurrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #54
Dr. Kang Mao-pang
yes it's chalky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorched View Post
Chalky, you've gotta do at least one huge (inhale?) high like the one at start of Skin Coffin Haha.
We'll see, haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Recurrence View Post
Haha, I'm not sure if you were being serious or not, if it were up to me,
I'd say go crazy like you did on Scepter or the newest Mephistopheles tracks,
but who am I to talk anyway? You know your craft better than anyone else.

Oh, and it's also good to hear, that touring is a possibility.
Haha nah of course I'm not being serious.
But it's cool that it made at least 1 person wonder if i was, cos it means i must be a little out of the ordinary for people to ever consider it haha.

But hmm, in terms of what i'm going to do - you'll have to wait and see.
It's obviously going to be me doing it, so it's not gonna be just one monotonous growl throughout the songs haha...
Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #55
necrochris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfBlood View Post
Are you gonna still be in Obscura, Chris?
Sure!
necrochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #56
Litany21

Quote:

Long time no hear dude!! Welcome to Spawn of Possession. I'm sure your collaberation and input will be wonderfully accepted!!

So if writing credits are given to only one person, does that mean the other musicians have some say or that it's interpreted differently?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #57
Litany21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorched View Post

Can't wait for this album.
God damn, one of the greatest vocal moments in music!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #58
Refusal
ruker

I don't know, the "eat the beef" chorus later in that song is pretty epic.
Refusal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:22 AM   #59
FecalFamine
This shit stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refusal View Post
I don't know, the "eat the beef" chorus later in that song is pretty epic.
Chalky scat singing is the best vocal invention since the falsetto.

"You are just another one of us don't think you get to
decide!

EEERG IIRGH IRRGH-URGH-IRRGH-IRGGH-ERRGHH

IRGHH-URRGH-IRGHH-EGHH-GGHHAAGHH

IRRGH U-UGGHH NEMMIINOY NEMINNOY MNNYOGH FUCKIN'MYGHHUEE!"

FecalFamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #60
Erland
tvÄ i tarmen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Recurrence View Post
When do you guys expect the album to be finished/recorded/released?
If things work out like we`ve planned for now, we will try and hit studio by next summer. Which means a release will be due 4-6 months later. We`re still working on our preprod, so there might be some stuff on myspace later when we get all the pieces together.
Erland is offline   Reply With Quote