SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Anomalous

Anomalous Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #61
Metastasis

I'll go ahead and second that Cubase>FL in every way.
Metastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #62
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
You can make your own drum track using EZDrummer I believe. I haven't used it but I was reading through the manual online and it has a section where it tells you how to make your own track. Maybe I'm wrong?

What I want to do is program the drums in Guitar Pro 5 (it's like powertab but with drums) and then save it as a MIDI file. then take that MIDI file and dump it into EZdrummer and use the samples in EZdrummer.

That's what I do in Fruity Loops, I just import the MIDI file I made in GP5 and I assign the key notes that trigger the samples and it plays what I wrote. I'm wondering if EZdrummer can do that too? I don't want to sequence/write drum patterns in EZdrummer, I want to import my MIDI file that I wrote in GP5.
I do it like that, guitar pro 4 MIDI, then dump it into CUBASE, and then open up EZdrummer and match the samples. I don't think you can just dump them into EZdrummer.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #63
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb View Post
haha, i changed that! ;)

you helped me a lot! :)

chaapy:

Iīm using ez drummer for about two months now (so Iīm more of a noob ;) ), but I know, which function of ez drummer you mean. Though, I never tried it and I donīt know if you can use midi files youīve loaded into the program yourself...maybe itīs only for the "midi-grooves" which are already in the program.
However, I doubt that the function (even if it works with the midi stuff from gp5) is good...as far as Iīve seen in the manual, itīs only a little sequenzer, with which you can put some different grooves together.

I suggest you to get used to cubase, itīs drumeditor is really simple and easy to use but still very good. Itīs easy to do velocity stuff there and programming is easier than in gp5 anyway...and you can be sure that it definitely works with ez drummer (as vsti ;) ) perfectly.

Just get cubase and ez drummer...if you have any questions considering cubase+ez drummer, Iīm sure I will be able to answer them!

Btw...imo cubase is way better than fl as well!

:)

so what version of CUBASE would I need to do this? I'm not concerned about velocity in any other programs since I do all that in GP5, but if it's better and easier in CUBASE then that's cool.

kind of sucks it's more complicated upgrading. It's soooo easy in Fruity Loops. I just import the MIDI file and it's already mapped out in Fruity Loops when I bring it in. Doesn't EZDrummer have a "humanizer" effect which adjust the velocity of each hit randomly?

sorry but I'm a noob when it comes to EZDrummer, I thought it had a sequencer.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #64
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_second_infinity View Post
I do it like that, guitar pro 4 MIDI, then dump it into CUBASE, and then open up EZdrummer and match the samples. I don't think you can just dump them into EZdrummer.
so what exactly does it do when you dump it into CUBASE? do you mess around with the velocity and EQ? does CUBASE have a sequencer?

got any clips? I thought those Misogyny recordings were done in a studio and some of them in DKFH?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #65
ruonitb

Just get cubase sx...the drumeditor in cubase is really very easy! There shouldnīt be any problems!
And the drumeditor isnīt the only reason why you should upgrade to cubase (from fruity loops). IMO cubase is more professional and you have more possibilities in editing etc.

And yes, ez drummer has a "humanizer"...I always use it but I still change velocity settings in the cubase drum editor...with the drumeditor in cubase and the humanizer effect of ez drummer, you can create really good drum tracks.

And you donīt have to import any midi files then...just program and edit everything in cubase...that sounds a lot better to me! :)

@tensecondinfinity: why do you program the drumtracks in gp5 and not in cubase? :o
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #66
ChAAPY
it's one louder

CUBASE SX 3? 4? that cost like $300-$700 and I'm not paying that if all I'm going to be doing is dumping MIDI files into it/programming drums. I plan on getting Pro Tools 7 as well for mixing so those prices are pretty crazy for me since I'm also getting a new Mac.

I can't speak for Marlon (ten_second) but I do it that way because it's fucking simple as shit. I tab out the guitar and drum parts in it and play along to them for practice. It's wayyy easier to program triplets in GP5 too and you have the sheet music for it as well, you can mess around with dynamics in the progam too.

I don't know how I feel about not using it, that's pretty much what I swear by when writing drums. I don't feel like learning/buying another program without having tried it out. But I'm still a bit confused... if I write all my parts in CUBASE, how does that work? CUBASE is like Fruity Loops in the sense that you use it for the drum sequencer? EZDrummer is just the samples?

Last edited by ChAAPY; 05-15-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #67
ruonitb

EZ Drummer is a plugin for cubase.

You program the drum parts in the cubase drumeditor and you choose the samples you want in ez drummer. EZ drummer only gives the "sounds" so to say.
In cubase itīs only a midi track! :)

*cough* you could dl it and try it out...then buy it. ;)

I canīt imagin drum programming being easier than in cubase, seriously. Though, Iīve never been too much into gp5...still I think that cubase is a lot better anyway...since, well...itīs a pro-software.

And yes, cubase is the sequenzer! ;)

And cubase is not for programming drums only...not all. Cubase basically is everything you need (software-wise) to produce music.

Just get cubase+ez drummer (from wherever you want ;) ), and if you have problems, I will help you. Itīs no big deal...as i already said - simple! :)
Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #68
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
EZ Drummer is a plugin for cubase.

You program the drum parts in the cubase drumeditor and you choose the samples you want in ez drummer. EZ drummer only gives the "sounds" so to say.
In cubase itīs only a midi track! :)

*cough* you could dl it and try it out...then buy it. ;)

I canīt imagin drum programming being easier than in cubase, seriously. Though, Iīve never been too much into gp5...still I think that cubase is a lot better anyway...since, well...itīs a pro-software.

And yes, cubase is the sequenzer! ;)

And cubase is not for programming drums only...not all. Cubase basically is everything you need (software-wise) to produce music.

Just get cubase+ez drummer (from wherever you want ;) ), and if you have problems, I will help you. Itīs no big deal...as i already said - simple! :)

will EZDrummer work in Fruity Loops? I don't like downloading software cause I never know how to use it. I prefer the booklet in my hand for help rather than pulling up the "help" menu. And some cracked versions don't come with everything. did you buy both programs or download them?

thanks for all the help man, now I just need to figure out if I want Pro Tools or Cubase for mixing... hmm...
Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #69
Max-Anomalous

im down to do some tabs, hehe.. just not sure i know how to do all that,... time changes mess me up, to write i mean... tim!?

Last edited by Max-Anomalous; 05-15-2007 at 04:06 PM..
Max-Anomalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #70
ruonitb

@max: tabs, tabs, tabs!!! :D

@chaapy: I donīt know if fl supports ez drummer...however, I have fl somewhere, so, if I have the time, I can try it for you.

EZ drummer isnīt expensive...cubase is ofc. ;)
Donīt buy it if you arenīt sure that you need it...but well

H2O...Try before buy! ;)
Old 05-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #71
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:

@chaapy: I donīt know if fl supports ez drummer...however, I have fl somewhere, so, if I have the time, I can try it for you.

EZ drummer isnīt expensive...cubase is ofc. ;)
Donīt buy it if you arenīt sure that you need it...but well

H2O...Try before buy! ;)
that would be cool if you could try it out, if not no biggie.

still don't know if I should get Cubase or Pro Tools for this. Pro Tools is so nice but I need Cubase if I get EZDrummer right?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #72
Metastasis

Quote:
that would be cool if you could try it out, if not no biggie.

still don't know if I should get Cubase or Pro Tools for this. Pro Tools is so nice but I need Cubase if I get EZDrummer right?
Pro Tools has the best editing interface of any recording program, and it has MIDI. The hardware is kind of annoying, though. I'd rather build my rack of preamps and a seperate mixing console than use Pro Tools propietary shit.

Software like Cubase is the cheaper, more convenient route (no propeitary gear) - and it's probably the best option for PC users.

I'm sure EZ Drummer will work with any software that is MIDI enabled.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #73
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metastasis View Post
Pro Tools has the best editing interface of any recording program, and it has MIDI. The hardware is kind of annoying, though. I'd rather build my rack of preamps and a seperate mixing console than use Pro Tools propietary shit.

Software like Cubase is the cheaper, more convenient route (no propeitary gear) - and it's probably the best option for PC users.

I'm sure EZ Drummer will work with any software that is MIDI enabled.
sweet, I'll end up with Pro Tools more than likely since I'm doing all this on a Mac.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #74
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:

I got the H2O version from a torrent site. How do you program drums?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:50 AM   #75
God_Complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Anomalous View Post
im down to do some tabs, hehe.. just not sure i know how to do all that,... time changes mess me up, to write i mean... tim!?

We should have a vote to see which song gets tabbed out first like Sleep Terror did back in the day with "Probing Tranquility"...... Oh and "Revelations" doesnt count.. haha.. I vote for "Metastasize!"
God_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:29 AM   #76
ruonitb

@chaapy: so, you got cubase now?

and ez drummer as well?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #77
modern death
Hails

Quote:
so what exactly does it do when you dump it into CUBASE? do you mess around with the velocity and EQ? does CUBASE have a sequencer?

got any clips? I thought those Misogyny recordings were done in a studio and some of them in DKFH?
You set up all the toms and snares and shit in cubase, then dump it in, so you can individually EQ and change the velocity's and everything.. and you can even write the drums in CUBASE. The newest recording was done in a studio, but Womanure was done like I just said.. EZ Drummer just has drum samples, and you can fuck with the EQ somewhat, it doesn't have a sequencer.

Last edited by modern death; 05-17-2007 at 10:44 AM..
Old 05-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #78
modern death
Hails

My friend knows a lot about cubase, and pro tools and most other software like that... I'll see if he can sign up here and give you some information.. all I know is that I'm probably not going to be using Pro Tools when I get my MAC.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #79
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
@chaapy: so, you got cubase now?

and ez drummer as well?
I don't ahve EZDrummer yet.. I downloaded a torrent of it but when I install it nothing happened.

I got the H20 version of Cubase SX3 and I've been reading up on the manual.. haven't even used the program to record anything yet cause I'm still getting familiar with everything.

Last edited by ChAAPY; 05-17-2007 at 02:13 PM..
Old 05-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #80
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_second_infinity View Post
My friend knows a lot about cubase, and pro tools and most other software like that... I'll see if he can sign up here and give you some information.. all I know is that I'm probably not going to be using Pro Tools when I get my MAC.
that would be sweet... why aren't you going the Pro Tools route? I've been thinking the same thing after doing some research... Cubase just seems easier to work with and I'm sure it sounds just as good.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:12 AM   #81
ruonitb

Hi!

Well, you canīt run ez drummer just like any other program. Itīs a plugin for cubase. So, when you install it, install it in the steinberg/cubase/vstplugins folder.

Then you can start cubase and choose ez drummer as vst instrument. The only thing you need to do is to create a midi track then and choose ez drummer for the midi track.

I will give more informations later, got to hurry now!

But just try...maybe you can get it working. :)
Old 05-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #82
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by God_Complex View Post
We should have a vote to see which song gets tabbed out first like Sleep Terror did back in the day with "Probing Tranquility"...... Oh and "Revelations" doesnt count.. haha.. I vote for "Metastasize!"
If we decide to make tabs, then we'll definitely make a tab book of the whole EP. We also want to make another shred vid that is more instructional.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #83
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Hi!

Well, you canīt run ez drummer just like any other program. Itīs a plugin for cubase. So, when you install it, install it in the steinberg/cubase/vstplugins folder.

Then you can start cubase and choose ez drummer as vst instrument. The only thing you need to do is to create a midi track then and choose ez drummer for the midi track.

I will give more informations later, got to hurry now!

But just try...maybe you can get it working. :)
I got EZdrummer to open up in Cubase but I can't figure out how to open the drum editor when starting a new project. meaning I don't know how to just start writing drums in Cubase. When I start the program up and select "new project" the drum editor and everything is grey and it won't let me open it. I'm going to read up on it more though so I can fix this.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #84
tenorbass

I am having some more problems. When my singer sings in his mic thru my speakers using my 1/8 to 1/4 it comes out both speakers. When I mic my amp then open CEP> mutli track> Click R on track 1> Click record, It comes out only the right speaker! But I have the pan at 0 so whats the problem?
tenorbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #85
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorbass View Post
I am having some more problems. When my singer sings in his mic thru my speakers using my 1/8 to 1/4 it comes out both speakers. When I mic my amp then open CEP> mutli track> Click R on track 1> Click record, It comes out only the right speaker! But I have the pan at 0 so whats the problem?
Did you make it a mono track? Make sure you do this and assign it to whatever side the channel input is on your hardware device (L or R).
Old 05-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #86
tenorbass

On my audio options their all paned to the center. I didnt try to make a mono track in CEP, Do I need to fix some settings in CEP? The pan in CEP is at 0 also

I just double checked my mic comes out mono when recording and when its sung thru the speakers. Is my 1/4 to 1/8 mono or the soundcard?
tenorbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #87
Metastasis

I'm not sure what you mean...does your waveform track look like two tracks in one and the waveform itself is only on one side? If so, this means it is a stereo track and needs to be set to mono. You can't pan a stereo track. Just click on the input/output settings button on the channel near the volume/eq settings and set the channel to mono.

The 8th inch to quarter inch shouldn't make a difference in mono/stereo - just unbalanced vs. balanced.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #88
Metastasis

Quote:
I got EZdrummer to open up in Cubase but I can't figure out how to open the drum editor when starting a new project. meaning I don't know how to just start writing drums in Cubase. When I start the program up and select "new project" the drum editor and everything is grey and it won't let me open it. I'm going to read up on it more though so I can fix this.
This can be confusing. First start a new project and then go to VST instruments (I thinks it's under devices). Pick EZDrummer and it should open up the samples and a bunch of VST channels. Then you have to open a MIDI channel and make sure to assign the output to EZDrummer. Before you can start plotting, you need to draw out a track with the pencil - this is the part that had me stumped for a while. After you draw out a track (you just click and drag horizontally) you need to click on the "Edit in place" button on the MIDI channel and you should be set.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #89
ruonitb

Yep, open a midi track, and pick ez drummer in the output settings. In the settings of the midi channel you can also choose between a key editor and a drum editor (gm map i think). Then just draw a track with the pencil and double click on it - the drumeditor should open then. Ah, and you donīt have to bother about the length of the track you draw...you can make it longer/cut it later anyway!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #90
ChAAPY
it's one louder

thanks guys. I'm going to try it out today but I'd rather just import the MIDI file from GP5 into CUBASE since I already wrote the drums in that program and did all the velocity changes. don't really feel like doing it again, haha.

also, I downloaded the DKFH expansion packf or EZDrummer.. how do I get that to show up in CUBASE? shoudln't it be under "EZX LIBRARIES" in EZDrummer? I'm not sure how to open a torrent that is a HYRBID DVDR.. don't even know that means.

*edit* fuck this shit is annoying. I did what you guys said and when I drew a line across the event display nothing happened, still can't get this shit working.

*edit again* YES! I got it now, haha. I wasn't drawing where it said MIDI

now if I can just figure out how to send the kick and snare to their own seperate mixer and EQ it.

Last edited by ChAAPY; 05-21-2007 at 05:39 PM..