SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Anomalous

Anomalous Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #121
Metastasis

Yeah it's kind of expensive, but I'm looking for quality, and judging by what I have read, the 1010 looks like it's going to be it.

ETA: Oh, I checked your link...that Firewire rackmount is pretty damn impressive. The only thing is that I'd probably rather go with a sepreate internal soundcard like the 1010 in conjunction with a Presonus FirePod and Vintech Tube Preamp instead of an all-in-one deal.

Last edited by Metastasis; 06-19-2007 at 05:03 PM..
Metastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #122
ruonitb

Ah...I got a question.

Meta, as far as I know you are using cubase as well right?

I just started to play around with vst amps etc. (I know that you donīt use such stuff to record but maybe you can answer my question anyway ;) ).

Basically I want to record a clean guitar signal and reamp it later...but while recording I want to hear some distorted guitar sound.
But whenever I use a virtual amp it records the sound...so, I only want to hear the effect but I want to record the clean guitar signal.

Do you know how to do this?
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #123
tenorbass

Hello again. I am having alot of problems getting a nice tone dialed in on guitar. I have a Mid, Treble and Bass setting both on my amp and distortion. You were talking about cranking the mids up all the way on the distortion and I found that this made my guitar sound very bad. If you could give me some hints on getting a good balance between distortion settings and amp settings to help give me a good audible tone.
tenorbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #124
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb View Post
Ah...I got a question.

Meta, as far as I know you are using cubase as well right?

I just started to play around with vst amps etc. (I know that you donīt use such stuff to record but maybe you can answer my question anyway ;) ).

Basically I want to record a clean guitar signal and reamp it later...but while recording I want to hear some distorted guitar sound.
But whenever I use a virtual amp it records the sound...so, I only want to hear the effect but I want to record the clean guitar signal.

Do you know how to do this?
That's funny because Nate was just talking about this...where is that dude?
I'm not sure about that, can you control the ins and outs of the virtual amp? Maybe assign it only to monitor or playback of some kind? Just a guess.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 AM   #125
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorbass View Post
Hello again. I am having alot of problems getting a nice tone dialed in on guitar. I have a Mid, Treble and Bass setting both on my amp and distortion. You were talking about cranking the mids up all the way on the distortion and I found that this made my guitar sound very bad. If you could give me some hints on getting a good balance between distortion settings and amp settings to help give me a good audible tone.
Did I say crank the mids? That's usually not a good idea unless you are going for a very different kind of tone. For me,the EQ is not as crucial as the source of the distortion. Is it digital or tube? Are you able to adjust the gain? Can you crank the gain and find a balance with your noise gate and the clarity of the notes?

Anyway, if you're going for a more typical metal sound, then I recommend scooping or lightly attenuating the mids, raising the shrilly highs a hair and take it easy with the bass. of course, the best way to dial in a sound is to use a parametric eq with adjustable Q (how wide the frequency is being cut/raised). After you select a specific Q, make a raise or cut and cycle through the frequency range. See what this does to your tone. Oh, and a little BBE Sonic Max can't hurt. I mean a little, though.

I recently bought a PODxt and I find the tone to be pretty abysmal. I still have to dial it in, though. I still think tubes are the way to go.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #126
tenorbass

Its a digital distortion. I am using the pedal with my amp. I can adjust the gain, The gain really doesnt effect the notes clarity very much. I am looking for a very defined tone but still with a thick distortion. I know most metal players use 0 mids and crank the treble up. I would like something like Element meets Nile on AOTW.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:46 AM   #127
ruonitb

0 mids suck...if you are playing in a band or recording guitars you need mids.
If you have 0 mids you will have no chance in the mix with your guitar.

For recording: donīt use too much bass (because these frequencies are for the kick drum + bass guitar) and definitely use more mids than bass.
The guitars are very present in the mix in the mid-frequencies - high frequencies are important too. :)

And seriously: I doubt that anyone playing in a band (with at least a bit experience) is playing with 0 mids. Just try it with your band (or in a mix, if you are recording). :)

@meta:

ah, I basically know how it would work...but it doesnīt - so i guess I do something wrong. ;)

I have to open an effects chan, choose an effect (in this case some modeller/virtual amp). Then open an audio track and send the effect chan to the audio track (with pre fader)...then I have to put the pre fader in the chan down or something. :/

Ah, well...shit...thanks anyway! : D
Old 07-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #128
THATDUDE7
Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenorbass View Post
Its a digital distortion. I am using the pedal with my amp. I can adjust the gain, The gain really doesnt effect the notes clarity very much. I am looking for a very defined tone but still with a thick distortion. I know most metal players use 0 mids and crank the treble up. I would like something like Element meets Nile on AOTW.
i cant help you much but i know the guitar son AOTW are layered as fuck so that they are thick and meaty. Always remember that the guitar is not the only instrument in the band so dont cut mids/boost bass or anything. it needs to let everyone else have room and come together as an ensamble.
THATDUDE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #129
THATDUDE7
Nihilist

also does anyone know anything about SONAR 6?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:26 AM   #130
ontogeny

doing tabs for revelations would SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
ontogeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #131
THATDUDE7
Nihilist

lol
Old 07-10-2007, 02:32 AM   #132
ontogeny

tabs for metastisize would be equally as difficult if not harder
Old 07-12-2007, 03:44 PM   #133
ruonitb

ah, if anyone bothers: here is a vid of me playing the song of my band I posted a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_9ygjg_tOE

:)
Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #134
Metastasis

Nice sweeps...and am I hearing atmospherics during the music (i.e., explodo)? BTW, love the falling bottle at the beginning! haha.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:51 AM   #135
ruonitb

thanks!

atmospherics? huh? :o

yeah, that bottle owns haha
Old 07-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #136
tenorbass

Nice playing Ruonitb. How did you learn to sweep like that? Any videos or lessons you used?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #137
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb View Post
ah, if anyone bothers: here is a vid of me playing the song of my band I posted a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_9ygjg_tOE

:)
sweet solo man. the sound quality was kind of rough but good job none the less.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #138
ruonitb

thanks

no, didnīt really use any vids/online lessons (got a guitar teacher though). however - its all about practicing slow and daily. :)

I never get a good quality from my videos...they sound better when I watch them on my cam, as soon as I copy them on the pc the quality is fucked...I think movie maker converts it sucky. ;)
need to check the settings.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #139
ChAAPY
it's one louder

So tell me what you guys think of this idea. Shoot me down if it sounds jacked up cause I really don't know shit about hooking up audio interfaces to Macs and Monitors.

I figured I'd get me this little guy - http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...Solo-main.html

Going into these monitors - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/HS50M--rear.jpg

I'd plug my guitar into my VAMP Pro and take a 1/4 in. cable from the back of the Vamp (unbalanced) into the M-Audio interface (unbalanced Line Input 1)

The M-Audio would go into the back of my Mac (using Firewire) and the HS monitors would go from their Inputs to the M-Audio interface using the 2 Balanced Line Outputs on the M-Audio interface.

Is this right or am did I fuck up? Maybe I should just go from the back of the VAMP into the Guitar IN jack on the interface, using the VAMP as an "effect" so to speak instead of coming out of the back with the unbalanced connection input.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #140
ontogeny

yeah it was pretty cool man. sweep that shit
Old 07-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #141
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
So tell me what you guys think of this idea. Shoot me down if it sounds jacked up cause I really don't know shit about hooking up audio interfaces to Macs and Monitors.

I figured I'd get me this little guy - http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...Solo-main.html

Going into these monitors - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/HS50M--rear.jpg

I'd plug my guitar into my VAMP Pro and take a 1/4 in. cable from the back of the Vamp (unbalanced) into the M-Audio interface (unbalanced Line Input 1)

The M-Audio would go into the back of my Mac (using Firewire) and the HS monitors would go from their Inputs to the M-Audio interface using the 2 Balanced Line Outputs on the M-Audio interface.

Is this right or am did I fuck up? Maybe I should just go from the back of the VAMP into the Guitar IN jack on the interface, using the VAMP as an "effect" so to speak instead of coming out of the back with the unbalanced connection input.
I think using the V-Amp as an effect makes more sense. Otherwise, it would be like having two soundcards (if the V-Amp is anything like a POD, then it acts as a soundcard for direct recording/monitoring), but I'm sure both would work.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #142
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metastasis View Post
I think using the V-Amp as an effect makes more sense. Otherwise, it would be like having two soundcards (if the V-Amp is anything like a POD, then it acts as a soundcard for direct recording/monitoring), but I'm sure both would work.

Let me know how it goes.
hmmmm, the VAMP is 24/96 but I don't know if it acts as a sound card (it's possible, I don't know shit about that haha)

So the way I described everything is good? I always get confused with the Line In and Out parts. If that's how I should hook everything up then I'm ordering this stuff by the end of the month. Can't fucking wait too! Cubase 4 FTW!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #143
Metastasis

Quote:
hmmmm, the VAMP is 24/96 but I don't know if it acts as a sound card (it's possible, I don't know shit about that haha)

So the way I described everything is good? I always get confused with the Line In and Out parts. If that's how I should hook everything up then I'm ordering this stuff by the end of the month. Can't fucking wait too! Cubase 4 FTW!
Yeah, man, sounds good to me. Fuck, I need to get Cubase 4!

Myself, I'm about to get a Presonus FirePod - zero latency and 8 balanced mic inputs at a really good price.

And then, a pair of Adam A7's FTW!!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #144
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
And then, a pair of Adam A7's FTW!!
I'd like to check those out one day. can't afford them at this time though.

I think I'm going to get this interface instead - http://www.audiomidi.com/FireWire-410-P3688.aspx

zero latency hardware monitoring you said right? that means I won't get any latency when I record (which is what I want)

Last edited by ChAAPY; 07-15-2007 at 07:57 PM..
Old 07-16-2007, 01:33 AM   #145
ontogeny

firepod's are the shit! They act as excellent preamps for recording drums, give a mean signal boost to bass instruments, and guitar recordings
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #146
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
zero latency hardware monitoring you said right? that means I won't get any latency when I record (which is what I want)
?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #147
coloredCYANIDE
Derp

alright Tim! try this on for size.

www.myspace.com/carcinomic

it's "Druglord". let me know what you think quality-wise, cause I changed a lot of my methods. the drum machine there is only slightly better though.
coloredCYANIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #148
Metastasis

Quote:

Exactly, no delay between your actual playing and the monitoring of your playing through your software. And it'll help with playback glitchiness, as well - although your computer's memory affects this, too.

Last edited by Metastasis; 07-21-2007 at 03:44 PM..
Old 07-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #149
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloredCYANIDE View Post
alright Tim! try this on for size.

www.myspace.com/carcinomic

it's "Druglord". let me know what you think quality-wise, cause I changed a lot of my methods. the drum machine there is only slightly better though.
Wow, this a great improvement! In both composition and sound. Although, I still think DFH Superior would do you better, but you got some pretty natural tone out of the samples you're using using. Also, the overall mix is kind of dark and maybe a little quiet - did you try to master it? I recommend Isotope Ozone and Waves plug ins to EQ/master.

Nice solo! Keep it coming, man.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #150
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Exactly, no delay between your actual playing and the monitoring of your playing through your software. And it'll help with playback glitchiness, as well - although your computer's memory affects this, too.
sweet... last question man, I promise haha - When I hook up the Yahmaha monitors I go into the Line OUTPUTS of the soundcard right? Cause that M-Audio 410 interface only has 2 Line INPUTS and I need to plug my V-AMP into one of those.

*edit* fuck, I'm so indecisive... the only reason I was going for that 410 soundcard was beause it has zero latency direct monitoring... but I'm going to be doing all this shit on a brand new Mac with 218 gigs of memory so I guess if I get the cheaper card (Firewire solo) I can go into the guitar jack on it and still have 2 line Inputs that are free. The Firewire solo has near-zero latency but I shouldn't have a latency problems if I'm using it on a Mac with that much memory right?

Last edited by ChAAPY; 07-21-2007 at 04:52 PM..