SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Arsis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arsis Website

Old 02-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
Box

Box slam gang member
Drum fights: Mikey vs. _____

This ones for all the drummers and Mike fans, including Mike himself.

Who's got faster feet? Mikey here or Jason Bittner?

My answer: Mikey, and Ill tell you why. Jason claims to only be able "to hit 210bpm on a really good day" whereas Mike drills past that on songs like Return. Not saying speed is the ultimate element in drumming, but Mikey's proved himself to me over and over and over again, song after song. Just goes to prove that underground guys sometimes have more raw talent. Not only that but that big bad sets dont mean shit. I think Mikes just got more musicality overall, and thats coming from somewhat of a minimalist Death Metal set.

Now Mikey I know your a fan of Jason, but I do have to admit that in my humble opinion, you've blown the doors off of anything I've heard from him with SF or solo (and Ive watched the MD Festival Weekend 2005 DVD with Jason on it probably close to 300 times since Christmas day.

Next Matchup: Mikey vs. Nick Barker (ex Dimmu Borgir). God help the extreme drumming community there.

Discuss.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
mayhcaek

mayhcaek slam gang member
Mikey over Nick Barker. Nick is fast and all but has no taste. In Old Man's Child and Dimmu Borgir he simply fills that shit with blasts. He has some good beats now and then but a lot of it is just the same thing.

Mikey vs. George Kolias
mayhcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Box

Box slam gang member
Gotta argue with you a bit there.

Nicky does'nt do OMC. Thats the newest drummer for Dimmu. If you have any of last years Modern Drummer mags, check the Vic Firth ads from around Ozzfest and youll see its someone else. Many appologies, cant think up his name a the moment. Though I have to also say that Dimmu's Puritanical Euphoric Misantrhopia contests with Arsis' ACoG a spot in my top 5 favorite albums of all time. They're both on there period, just cant pick which one comes before the other.

Nicky has an incredible talent for speed, and though as I satated before, speed is NOT the most important element for drumming, he does it with incredible flavor on songs like Sympozium, Kings of the Carnival Creation, and especially the cover of Burn In Hell.

Better than Mikey? Too fucking close to call. Theyre both WAY too fucking good.

EDIT:
Reno H. Kiilerich
Drums
Straight from www.oldmanschild.net
/EDIT

Last edited by Box; 02-17-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
mayhcaek

mayhcaek slam gang member
Nick Barker did drums on In Defiance of Existence. But yeah, on Vermin, their new album, Reno does the drums. His style is a little different, which is a plus for Old Man's Child. Still, on IDOE, it's full of blasts, haha. Don't get me wrong, Nick is still a great drummer, I just prefer Mike's shiz.
mayhcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
SiegeEngine
TAFKA tck!

SiegeEngine beat up jewski
Blast for blast Nick has it.

but Mikey keeps that shit interesting. I mean, just the simple quick double bass work at the beginning of Maddening Disdain make it so much better than if it wasn't there. I prefer inventive drumming to sheer speed.

to be fair, I've only heard 3 songs by Dimmu with Nick on the skins, but I'm not a huge fan.
SiegeEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
mikev

mikev slam gang member
Oh man, I have to say I think Nick Barker and George Kolias destroy me haha. Those guys are just so hardcore and basically live, sleep, and breathe drums....I went through a period where I practiced like CRAZY for a couple years, but I'm just not as dedicated as those guys are when it comes down to it. Basically I just practice when Jim has new riffs for me to hear, but that's about it...I really try to follow the example of Scott Travis (Racer X, Judas Priest) more than anyone - he is just the greatest metal drummer imo, and he plays exactly what the song needs. I think that's why I like Bittner a lot too - he's definitely not doing anything groundbreaking, but he's very solid and definitely accents the songs just right without going too over the top.
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:24 AM   #7
ShadowsFallen

ShadowsFallen slam gang member
With Nick vs Mike, it would be tough. I was never impressed with Nick's stuff back in Cradle of Filth, but once I heard Dimmu's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia I couldn't believe it was the same guy. He's definitely solid, to say the very least. I would take Mike over him anyway. \m/
ShadowsFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Box

Box slam gang member
More importantly, where the fuck can we hear some of that? Maybe some special fans can see or hear some of it at the tour.... ;)
Old 02-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
mikev

mikev slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptizedBurning
mike definitly contests with gene hoglan in regards to the mixture of speed, complexity, and style. scott travis is an amazing drummer as well. he's from my area but i've never seen him in person yet.

mike, when arsis toured with misery index right before kevin talley joined chimaira, i remember overhearing that you and kevin had double bass battles on that tour. i was curious, who won the contest in the end?

thanks a lot man, being mentioned in the same sentence as gene hoglan is definitely a major compliment! he is the man. haha i don't remember any drum battles taking place, but that was a fun couple of weeks touring with misery index. kevin is a great drummer and i remember him watching me from the side/back of the stage the first couple nights we played together, which was really cool because i'm definitely a big fan of his playing on "destroy the opposition" by df.
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #10
zpook
Killyourmotherrapeyourdog

zpook slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev
i'm definitely a big fan of his playing on "destroy the opposition" by df.
The drumming on that album makes it one of my favorites.
zpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
Box

Box slam gang member
Hmmm time to resurrect...

Mikey vs. Hmm... I dont know... Martin Lopez (groove master extrordinare of Opeth)

DEBATE!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
sweetXmajestic
The Metal Mama

sweetXmajestic slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev
thanks a lot man, being mentioned in the same sentence as gene hoglan is definitely a major compliment! he is the man. haha i don't remember any drum battles taking place, but that was a fun couple of weeks touring with misery index. kevin is a great drummer and i remember him watching me from the side/back of the stage the first couple nights we played together, which was really cool because i'm definitely a big fan of his playing on "destroy the opposition" by df.
I'm a little slow at hearing them, but recently FINALLY started to get hooked on Dying Fetus, and actually started my listening spree with that album. I am really digging that shit and wish I would have got hooked on it earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsFallen
With Nick vs Mike, it would be tough. I was never impressed with Nick's stuff back in Cradle of Filth, but once I heard Dimmu's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia I couldn't believe it was the same guy. He's definitely solid, to say the very least. I would take Mike over him anyway. \m/
That album is what made me fall in love with Dimmu Borgir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box
Hmmm time to resurrect...

Mikey vs. Hmm... I dont know... Martin Lopez (groove master extrordinare of Opeth)

DEBATE!
Oh man, that's taking two totally different styles of drumming and comparing them there. Iam going to say that I can't choose. Martin is as great for Opeth as Mike is for Arsis. They both use their drumset to it's fullest ability. And I think Martin improved his style of drumming "Ghost Reveries". That's something I'd have to give a little more thought to I guess.

And I want to add that I enjoy Mike's style of drumming because he is intense and fills the music with his drums, adding so much extra that wouldn't be there if he wasn't behind that kit. A lot of drummers lack that quality.

Last edited by sweetXmajestic; 04-26-2006 at 09:08 PM.
sweetXmajestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
strychnine1349
The Van Buren Boys

strychnine1349 slam gang member
im definitally a fan of mikes drumming, whenever i listen to a song it feels like its better and better. i have become a huge fan of all the musicianship in arsis, and i am so glad i will be seeing them next week!!
strychnine1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
DeadInMagazines

DeadInMagazines slam gang member
Speaking of drums...have you guys heard the new Dim Mak? As I said in the Sleep Terror forum, it rips unborn babies from the womb. Jon Longstreth shows the supreme command.

Here's the real drum battle:

Lord Marco vs Jon Longstreth
DeadInMagazines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:38 PM   #15
brandond

brandond slam gang member
As I read this thread I was thinking that if nobody mentioned Longstreth's new work on Knives of Ice that I would. You're totally right, DeadInMagazines. He put forth a phenomenal performance on that record. It may not be for everyone (perhaps a bit heavy on the blasts for some), but it's so tight. That man is one of the real human metronomes in metal. He's the kind of drummer that technical guitarists love to play over.
brandond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:25 AM   #16
sweetXmajestic
The Metal Mama

sweetXmajestic slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInMagazines
Speaking of drums...have you guys heard the new Dim Mak? As I said in the Sleep Terror forum, it rips unborn babies from the womb. Jon Longstreth shows the supreme command.

I heard one song off of that, the one available from the site for download. And you're right, it's not bad shit!
sweetXmajestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #17
BreathingPestilence
Banned

BreathingPestilence slam gang member
There is no Arsis song that goes close to 200 bpm.
BreathingPestilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #18
Box

Box slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathingPestilence
There is no Arsis song that goes close to 200 bpm.
Wrong! I know for a FACT that Return goes around 223-226. Ask Mikey, hell name em all!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:00 AM   #19
lordmarco

lordmarco slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInMagazines

dude i appreciate that. yeah John is the reason why i drum the way i do. my main inspiration. haha. johns the man! but yeah check out Braindrills whole Live video set www.myspace.com/braindrill

thanks for support
lordmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #20
darkened days
now you die

darkened days slam gang member
And I want to add that I enjoy Mike's style of drumming because he is intense and fills the music with his drums, adding so much extra that wouldn't be there if he wasn't behind that kit. A lot of drummers lack that quality.[/QUOTE]

i must say that i totally agree with this and its the reason i have had so much trouble finding a drummer for my solo project
darkened days is offline   Reply With Quote