SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 01-13-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
Logan
Band

Recording Hardware

So I'm looking at buying some recording hardware sometime soon. I've been researching for a while, and I've come across some stuff I like...podxt looks decent and the fact that bulb uses one and gets that kind of tone is a big plus. There are others but I think that's what I'd go with. However, I'd just like to ask you guys what you use or recommend.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
F0RBIDDEN

I would personally recommend a Pod 2.0 or V-Amp 2 over the Pod XT... There are good tones to be had with the Pod XT, but you have to do a LOT of tweaking, and I've personally never heard a good Pod XT sound that wasn't edited with tons of post processing in different software to make it sound good... The V-Amp 2 is super cheap and sounds great on it's own, and there's not a whole lot to tweak. Pod 2.0 is the same deal, but I think the high gain sounds in the V-Amp are better. The Pod 2.0 excels at every other tone though vs. the V-Amp. I've owned a Pod XT, a Pod 2.0 and a V-Amp 2 and the V-Amp is the only one I kept.
F0RBIDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Disembodiment

Location: Bristol, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Northern Hemisphere, Earth
Are the tones you can get out of the PODs and V-amps comparable? i.e. if i want to replicate a tone i'v heard from the POD would it be possible to recreate it on the V-amp.

do they have different sound characteristics?
Disembodiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
F0RBIDDEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disembodiment View Post
Are the tones you can get out of the PODs and V-amps comparable? i.e. if i want to replicate a tone i'v heard from the POD would it be possible to recreate it on the V-amp.

do they have different sound characteristics?
It won't be exactly the same but you can definitely get in the same ballpark...
Old 01-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Disembodiment

Ok cheers dude. I've been weighing up the pros and cons of each unit for a while and its likely i'll be getting the V-amp Pro, especially as its about 1/3 the price of the POD Pro. I've also noticed in a lot of other threads you've said its easier to get a decent tone without hours of fiddling from the V-amp = big win.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Logan
Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN View Post
I would personally recommend a Pod 2.0 or V-Amp 2 over the Pod XT... There are good tones to be had with the Pod XT, but you have to do a LOT of tweaking, and I've personally never heard a good Pod XT sound that wasn't edited with tons of post processing in different software to make it sound good... The V-Amp 2 is super cheap and sounds great on it's own, and there's not a whole lot to tweak. Pod 2.0 is the same deal, but I think the high gain sounds in the V-Amp are better. The Pod 2.0 excels at every other tone though vs. the V-Amp. I've owned a Pod XT, a Pod 2.0 and a V-Amp 2 and the V-Amp is the only one I kept.
hmmm im looking at the v-amp 2 and it only seems to get good reviews. Thanks for telling me about those two options, I really appreciate it.

edit: what about software? does it require its own software or will it work with garageband/logic/etc?

Last edited by Logan; 01-13-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Ouroboros
Nescient

I personally think getting a good interface is a better idea, and just using the GuitarRig or Amplitude plug-in's in Logic or Cubase. The V-Amp's tone library is great, but the A/D converters Behringer uses are garbage. Expect to make latency adjustments, and have the occasional jitter become introduced into the signal. Basically, don't expect to get professional sound from the thing. However, it's really affordable.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Disembodiment

Good job i'm not a professional then!
Right now i just want something decent and versatile enough for the stage/basic home recording and at that price it cant be beat. If Sotelo used one (maybe still does?) and found it to be a decent piece of gear i'm reassured its gona do the job for my needs!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
F0RBIDDEN

I've never had latency issues with my V-Amp, you'll have more latency issues with any sort of amp simulator plugin than you will with hardware... And while I'm sure the AD/DA conversion is shit in the Behringer, I've only ever heard the sound that comes out of it and it sounds great to me. I've never gotten a tone I've liked by using amp sim plugins and my Focusrite preamps...
Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0RBIDDEN View Post
I've never had latency issues with my V-Amp, you'll have more latency issues with any sort of amp simulator plugin than you will with hardware...
bingo. I've never had any latency issues with my V-Amp either. it all comes from having some 20+ tracks and 6 different virtual instruments going on at the same time, haha.

speaking of that, anyone know what would I need to do solve that problem? obviously I need a better soundcard, but what should I be looking for regarding latency?
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #11
Ouroboros
Nescient

The benefit of software amp simulation is having the option of controlling the latency, which is related to the power of your computer. Whereas in the Behringer, you are completely limited to the hardware processing within the V-Amp. In most cases, that is completely fine, but I doubt you will come across any engineer or musician who would use a V-Amp to make a professional recording.

My experience with the latency and the V-Amp, is having it being apart of a large signal chain at my school, which is the likely scenario in any recording studio. That is why I recommended just avoiding it all together, but I still use the V-Amp at home, for practicing and recording a practice log and song ideas.

ChAAPY, try a simple RAM upgrade, and if it's at least another 512MB, you will notice a difference. Even a good soundcard with an independent DSP will still use the RAM to store information it requires to use, so I would say a RAM upgrade is necessary.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
ChAAPY
it's one louder

damn. I've got 2GB right now and a shit load of free memory. might as well get another gig.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #13
stabwound
Corpsefiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
damn. I've got 2GB right now and a shit load of free memory. might as well get another gig.
Get a Mac then.

It does sound like you need more RAM though.
stabwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabwound View Post
Get a Mac then.

It does sound like you need more RAM though.
I am using a Mac.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #15
stabwound
Corpsefiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
I am using a Mac.
Oh damn. Is it a PPC or intel? 2 gigs of RAM is fine for all the stuff I do on my mac. I use a G4 with 2 gigs of ram (and a macbook) but I've never had a latency issue with either. On the other hand, I've never needed 20 tracks with 6 different virtual instruments at once.
stabwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #16
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabwound View Post
Oh damn. Is it a PPC or intel? 2 gigs of RAM is fine for all the stuff I do on my mac. I use a G4 with 2 gigs of ram (and a macbook) but I've never had a latency issue with either. On the other hand, I've never needed 20 tracks with 6 different virtual instruments at once.
Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's because I have over 30 tracks and multiple VST instruments going on with a bunch of plug-ins sometimes. the last song I did looked fucking insane in Cubase. I really need to minimize my tracks per song, haha.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
Ouroboros
Nescient

It's likely an issue within Cubase, then.

In Logic Pro 8, I can have an insane amount of plug-in's running, with RAX instruments, and over 25 tracks, without any latency during playback. However, when I am doing an overdub or recording a new track with all that other shit, I do get latency issues, so I just change the buffer to something really low (256), and it completely helps. Then, before playback, I push it back up to 1024. Should help. I only have 2GB ram, with a slightly faster processor. So, I assume it's the limitation of Cubase, or your buffer setting.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #18
Ouroboros
Nescient

I should also note, that even with a low buffer and a good computer, Pro Tools has horrible limitations when it comes to RTAS plug-in's and VSTi's. But Pro Tools is a PoS in a lot of ways, so I wouldn't expect Cubase to be like that.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #19
Ouroboros
Nescient

Yeah, ChAAPY, that's definitely your issue.

Low buffer (256 samples, or as low as possible before clicks appear) while recording to eliminate latency. High buffer (1024 samples or higher) during playback.

Cubase is not to blame, as I just tried this out.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #20
ChAAPY
it's one louder

I already did that as well. Still getting a lot of slag with all the tracks and VST instruments. It wasn't as much, but it was still there. It has to be the soundcard right? haha.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #21
modern death
Hails

Just buy a new sound card.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 PM   #22
ChAAPY
it's one louder

I just bought this one though, haha. I'll upgrade one day because there are ways around it right now. I'd rather have new pick ups in my guitar first.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:39 AM   #23
Ouroboros
Nescient

How low was your buffer?

If it doesn't present any issues, like sudden distortion, slow playback, or clicks and hisses, try putting the buffer to 128 or 64.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #24
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
How low was your buffer?

If it doesn't present any issues, like sudden distortion, slow playback, or clicks and hisses, try putting the buffer to 128 or 64.
haha, I told you I already did all that stuff. I have way too many plug-ins and tracks going on so I was just wondering what I need to look for in a new soundcard. better AD/DA converters right? if so, any recommendations?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #25
Ouroboros
Nescient

I was asking because you may have just put it at 256, but whatever.

Are you wanting just a PCI soundcard, or are you looking for an interface?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #26
ChAAPY
it's one louder

interface.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:14 AM   #27
Ouroboros
Nescient

http://www.artproaudio.com/products....&cat=1&type=79

I own this, and I recommend it. It's very affordable. The pres aren't transparent, as they have tubes in their circuits, but they colour the sound in a very nice way. I use it as my sole interface for now, but I am going to pick up a MOTU 828MKII and use it as my primary interface, with the Tubefire8 daisy-chained into it. The only con, is the level metering is very limited, giving only four LEDs per channel, so you don't get very accurate gain control.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre/

MOTU is an amazing company, and everything I have used by them has been solid. I haven't used this personally, so I know nothing of the quality of the preamps, but the converters and clocking are excellent, especially for the price.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Det...px?ProductId=3

Presonus make really good preamps, I don't know about the other aspects of this interface such as the conversion or whatnot, but this is double the price of the Tubefire8, so likely it has higher quality circuitry all around.

However, I would recommend getting one of the latter, they focus mostly on conversion, since they have fewer preamps. Also, you can build a collection of many different types of pres, both analog and digital, and chain them into one of these:

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite/

Affordable, my teacher uses four of these for his entire studio and has a lot of solid recordings under his belt. He highly recommends it.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828/

This is in my future, the difference between it and the Ultralite is the number of I/O's available. It has ADAT Lightpipe connectivity, along with balanced analog and firewire. It is only $150-$200 more than the Ultralite.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_400.php

Top of the line clocking, but other than that, I know nothing about the preamps, or the conversion.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ensemble.php

Fucking pricy, but they have top-of-the-line converters and preamps. Pro equipment right there.

Or, you can get any interface, no matter how shitty, and chain it up to this baby:

http://www.lynxstudio.com/aurora/index.html

It'll completely override any digital conversion in your signal chain, and you will never have to worry about that issue ever again. But...$2700 for 16 channels of conversion. Pricy, but from what I hear, worth every penny.

Keep in mind, I am recommending you these simply because I have heard good things about them, or aspects of them (like the RME's clocking). But, do your own research, and hopefully you find something that works for your needs.

Cheers dude!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:20 AM   #28
ChAAPY
it's one louder

goddamn dude. THANK YOU!

I'm currently using this btw - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Firewire410

I need to get me zero latency interface so thanks for those recommendations. cheers!

Last edited by ChAAPY; 01-23-2008 at 01:24 AM..
Old 01-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #29
Ouroboros
Nescient

No problem man, I'm a complete audio nerd, so that was pretty fun.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 AM   #30
Logan
Band

wow thanks for all the help. much appreciated. oh and you live in toronto? sweet.