Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
FecalFamine
This shit stinks

Filler Riffs

Do you think it's a good idea to put in filler riffs next to good ones?

See I have this problem where I don't advance in my songs because I really work on every segment to be better than the one before it.

Lately I've been looking towards songs with phenomenal riffs and I noticed that between the ones I really like they write a lot of whateverlolshred riffs.

Now music is all about contrast but would it apply in this manner too?
FecalFamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
rippedflesh89

i dont really think you should really have any riffs in a song that the artist himeself feels are "filler" riffs... whenever i listen to a song of mine and i hear a riff that doesnt quite fit, or disrupts the flow of the song ill get rid of it.

try not make a song that goes:

meh riff - okay riff - better riff - good riff - great riff - best riff youre gonna hear this song -END

and its not always about the greatness of each individual riff either, take ulcerate for example... there are many times in EiF where they use simple guitar parts to blend other bindmending parts together...

i hope this make sense.. im fuckin blaazed
rippedflesh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
switell

Dude, if its mass atonal dm with breakneck blasts the whole way through, 'filler' riffs or riffs which fall behind the vocals and dont stand out are pretty common. But if its music which 'breathes' easy such as thrash and shit, I dont think you could get away with filler riffs.

Filler riffs imo, are usually played behind vocal lines and shit, riffs which are the main melody or focus of that particular part of the song are usually the real insane ones which give ya goosebumps.... MAOW! If in doubt, just slam. LOL
switell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
INCINERATE
Brutal Death

When I'm writing a song, and I have two riffs I like, but they don't fit together, instead of inserting a "filler riff", I write what I call a transitional riff - a riff that starts out well with where the previous riff left off, and ends well with where the next riff starts - making sure the transitions are in the same key and scale (if needed). Typically for me, these transitional riffs are only played once - unless it's a killer riff and sounds good playing it a few times. With certain song writing styles/structures, this may not go over too well. But with more complex song structures, it's easier to get away with as the transitional riff blends in more easily. In more simple, standard song structures, a transitional riff like this could stick out like a sore thumb.
INCINERATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
strychnine1349
The Van Buren Boys

Experiment
strychnine1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
switell

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCINERATE View Post
When I'm writing a song, and I have two riffs I like, but they don't fit together, instead of inserting a "filler riff", I write what I call a transitional riff - a riff that starts out well with where the previous riff left off, and ends well with where the next riff starts - making sure the transitions are in the same key and scale (if needed). Typically for me, these transitional riffs are only played once - unless it's a killer riff and sounds good playing it a few times. With certain song writing styles/structures, this may not go over too well. But with more complex song structures, it's easier to get away with as the transitional riff blends in more easily. In more simple, standard song structures, a transitional riff like this could stick out like a sore thumb.
switell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Baleface
CUNT OF A TOKE

Approach the track from the point of "What mood do i want to create" and the riffage will be a vehicle for that emotion. In general though, I wouldn't use anything I thought of as 'filler.' Make everything mean something.

Or feel free to ignore this and go listen to Dragonforce.
Baleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:04 AM   #8
Chromaticity
erusredsteregi

^This
Chromaticity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
Phoncible

A "filler" riff could make room for other elements, interesting vocal twists, bass lines etc. Its just like calling steady backing bass boring, even tho its the most useful for probably far more than 50% of riffs!
Phoncible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

I think theres a difference between riffs that leave room for stuff to happen, and filler riffs. Filler riffs are basically riffs that do nothing for a long period of time. Most good bands will slow things down for a while, and allow the music to breathe and add a few twists and hopefully the riff will go somewhere. But that doesn't make it a filler riff. If you think there are only insane riffs and filler riffs, you're probably a good riff writer but a horrible songwriter.
Nun Stampede! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
noumenon

I think you mean more like "connecting riffs," right? The ones that go between the really killer material but ties it together? I always like to combine the last bar or two from the first riff and tweak it and meld it into the first bars of the next riff. You can slow the tempo somewhat and then speed it up after the transition. I hope this makes sense.
noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
AllP0werToSlaves
Riff-tastic

Riffing is probably my most favorite activity; I know exactly what you're talking about. I prefer to come up with anywhere between 2-4 solid, well refined riffs that fit together well (usually in key with one another, but not always) and experiment with arrangement. I find that songs usually tend to write themselves structure wise if you've got good riffs, and even then you can mix it up a bit if it gets too linear. If you write good riffs, they will almost always work in any combination.

Filler riffs are good, but I wouldn't recommend consciously saying "Ok, I've got two good riffs, I can just connect with with this little lick" and just end up half-assing it. To each his own though, I've just found that through trial and error, patience pays off big time.
AllP0werToSlaves is offline   Reply With Quote