SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #7441
entwinedwithsickness
almost human

Now you're bickering about what you're bickering about. Fuck.
entwinedwithsickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #7442
Sculpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
had you gone through the trouble of reading what i replied to and my reply, you'd have noticed that i was "bickering" about his logic, not about "art"
I read your post. The issue is that you just can't stop bickering, doesn't matter what it's about. Are you like this irl? If you are you must be one of the loneliest people on the planet.
Sculpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #7443
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 22 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski
Quote:
Originally Posted by entwinedwithsickness View Post
Now you're bickering about what you're bickering about. Fuck.
i guess i unlocked the next level of the internet.

i was just pointing out the enormous flaw in his incredibly stupid reply. i guess logic and/or reading comprehension just isn't his strong suit but whatever
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #7444
SluseTheInventor
Nig Nog

Alright so is Dead Island any good or not?
SluseTheInventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #7445
Sculpy

Quote:
i guess i unlocked the next level of the internet.

i was just pointing out the enormous flaw in his incredibly stupid reply. i guess logic and/or reading comprehension just isn't his strong suit but whatever
Ironically enough, I aced pure logic at university, and I have always gotten consistent As for my english major courses. I think it's the fact that 'reading comprehension' is not something I bring to bear with full force when reading forum posts on the interwebs; it's not worth my time or effort to systematically dissect every comment and attack every person who may have typed something that isn't 100% true or sound, as you seem to do shadow.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that as far as interwebs perception goes, you're an incredibly anal, overbearing and annoying prat... and if any of that perceived personality represents you on an interpersonal level, you'd probably be someone I couldn't stand to be around for long.

Of course, i'm just stupid. Please feel free to write an essay that dissects this already overlong post and insults me in myriad ways. I'm sure we'll all be better people for it.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #7446
TheBlackFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluseTheInventor View Post
Alright so is Dead Island any good or not?
Dunno. It's sold out over here, but I was lucky enough to have a local game store hold one for me. Unfortunately I can't pick it up until tomorrow : ( fucking holiday's screwing up deliveries.
TheBlackFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #7447
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 22 Cognitive Defeat beat up jewskiCognitive Defeat beat up jewski
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radcunt View Post
Video games are art - art is certainly involved in the production of games
Allow me to state that Design doesn't necessarily equal art, as art has more to do with the communication of untangible ideas. I.E. what the subject experiences and takes from something. However, I do accept that this is my subjective opinion of the definition of the word. As I said I hoped it wouldn't go down the route of arguing about "what is art?".

I apologise for contributing to the bickering. My only intention was to point out that I very rarely use this thread, but whenever I do open it, I seem to see posts by Shadow mocking somebody elses taste in games.
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #7448
slotheist
4d3d3d3 engaged

Sigh. Art is subjective.

To me, video games involve art and are art.

Having friends (including my brother) who work in the industry as artists, I can say this with confidence. There is art (and not just in the concept, drawing sense) in majority of the game creation process.

...and of course the finished product. Numerous creative minds go into the molding of what is put out in the end. A lot of times it's mediocre, sometimes it's good and rarely it's a masterpiece work.
slotheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #7449
strychnine
Administrator

Rep Power: 10 strychnine beat up jewskistrychnine beat up jewski
So far Dead Island is pretty fun. It's a cool mix of Fallout/Borderlands, Dead Rising and even parts of Left 4 Dead. The co-op is clearl the better mode and some of the combat scenes are awesome, such as chopping off individual body parts and stuff.
strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #7450
Javi
Bring Them Down!

Why does this gun sound like shit?

Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #7451
SLIT YOUR GUTZ
SHIT YOUR BUTTS

Rep Power: 0 SLIT YOUR GUTZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Me and my girlfriend loved playing through Borderlands with splitscreen, so I just read this and now I'm shitting my pants in excitement:

Once upon a time, split-screen co-op was the best we could hope for, but nowadays it feels like a rare treat. Gearbox is in the giving mood, confirming that Borderlands 2 will have the fabled cooperative feature, and that two players on the same TV can go online!

"The only situation you can not do is split-screen plus split-screen because you need a host," said Gearbox's Steve Gibson. "And a split-screen guy uses a lot of CPU, so he can not be the host."

Borderlands 2 will also improve the user interface for split-screen players, meaning you can upgrade characters without having to excessively scroll through information. Couch friends, unite!

The conversation then shifted to Borderlands 2, with the first topic being, naturally, guns. Borderlands 2 will have an even greater amount of itemization than the first game. New to the franchise will be scopes, which will apparently offer more than just a close-up look at the battlefield. One example of these scopes was a beer bottle tied to a rifle. Players will also be able to dual-wield any weapon in the game.

This is my most anticipated game.
SLIT YOUR GUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #7452
Jizzlobber
Generic Title

Picking up Dead Island for PS3 today once I get paid. My PSN name is CordycepsHumanis
Jizzlobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #7453
Sculpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIT YOUR GUTZ View Post
The conversation then shifted to Borderlands 2, with the first topic being, naturally, guns. Borderlands 2 will have an even greater amount of itemization than the first game. New to the franchise will be scopes, which will apparently offer more than just a close-up look at the battlefield. One example of these scopes was a beer bottle tied to a rifle. Players will also be able to dual-wield any weapon in the game.
The annoying thing was having a large variety of weaponry but not being able to customize any of it. If you got an amazing looking assault rifle that had shitty stats, tough. If you got a wicked bad mowing machine SMG that looked like you just pulled it out your ass, tough.

Urg. I want to be able to collect different parts and make my own gunny, not carry around a freaking rainbow in my inventory.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #7454
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
lolwut? you're saying that THE central thing that makes a game a game (the actual gameplay) can be considered "art", but the whole game cannot?!
Clearly you are the one lacking reading comprehension, not me. I never said that the gameplay was the part one might consider art, but the skillful playing.

I see how people say "football is art" or "chess is art" or "counterstrike is art", but what they actually mean is achieving a level of superiour skill and competing on this level, they would never talk of those games as art if it wasn't for those superiour players.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #7455
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by SculptedCold View Post
Ironically enough, I aced pure logic at university, and I have always gotten consistent As for my english major courses. I think it's the fact that 'reading comprehension' is not something I bring to bear with full force when reading forum posts on the interwebs; it's not worth my time or effort to systematically dissect every comment and attack every person who may have typed something that isn't 100% true or sound, as you seem to do shadow.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that as far as interwebs perception goes, you're an incredibly anal, overbearing and annoying prat... and if any of that perceived personality represents you on an interpersonal level, you'd probably be someone I couldn't stand to be around for long.

Of course, i'm just stupid. Please feel free to write an essay that dissects this already overlong post and insults me in myriad ways. I'm sure we'll all be better people for it.
at least you admit it. because everything you pointed out is limited to either (with very very few exceptions): a) my activity in this thread, b) my intentionally consistently hostile responses to the same 3-4 new users over the last year or so. feel free to prove me wrong (doubt it, since it looks like you already formed a totally misguided opinion on me based on selective reading of my posts that ). (and for some reason you seem to think i write overly long posts/rants on a regular basis [that whole "essays" bit])

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive Defeat View Post
I apologise for contributing to the bickering. My only intention was to point out that I very rarely use this thread, but whenever I do open it, I seem to see posts by Shadow mocking somebody elses taste in games.
my "mocking somebody elses taste in games" is pretty much the same mocking that now and then goes by other users in topics about other stuff (music, movies etc...), but since i'm the only one (and szadou from time to time) doing it for games and you don't think as highly of gaming as you do of other hobbies, i'm suddenly the "bad guy". think of it this way: my reactions to (just to use a recent, a bit paraphrased, example) "mass effect is one of the best rpgs" are akin to what would most users around here react to statements like "the new waking the cadaver is one of the best death metal albums" (not quite the perfect analogy since mass effect isn't that bad, but i hope it's enough for you to understand where i'm coming from...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitsabesWinklersson View Post
Clearly you are the one lacking reading comprehension, not me. I never said that the gameplay was the part one might consider art, but the skillful playing.

I see how people say "football is art" or "chess is art" or "counterstrike is art", but what they actually mean is achieving a level of superiour skill and competing on this level, they would never talk of those games as art if it wasn't for those superiour players.
fair enough. my apologies for the misinterpretation
Old 09-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #7456
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 22 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski
Max Payne 3 has a release date & a boxcover.

"Last month Rockstar put out a few new screenshots of Max Payne 3, and today the company has revealed even more details about the game, including a release date.

Max Payne 3 will come out in March for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC in North America and Europe.

Apart from the game's release date, Rockstar also talked about the game's introduction of multiplayer to the franchise. This component of the game will not only feature the traditional multiplayer experience (complete with loadouts, clans, rewards, and leveling), but it will also "dynamically" alter maps and feature a mode progression for all of the match's players.

Given what Rockstar has been doing with Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer, we're just as excited for this mode as we are for the gritty single-player story campaign."

Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #7457
SluseTheInventor
Nig Nog

Pretty soon we're gonna count calender years by Call of Duty games instead of numbers.
SluseTheInventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #7458
Cognitive Defeat
Blackened Bluesgaze

Rep Power: 22 Cognitive Defeat beat up jewskiCognitive Defeat beat up jewski
Quote:

my "mocking somebody elses taste in games" is pretty much the same mocking that now and then goes by other users in topics about other stuff (music, movies etc...), but since i'm the only one (and szadou from time to time) doing it for games and you don't think as highly of gaming as you do of other hobbies, i'm suddenly the "bad guy". think of it this way: my reactions to (just to use a recent, a bit paraphrased, example) "mass effect is one of the best rpgs" are akin to what would most users around here react to statements like "the new waking the cadaver is one of the best death metal albums" (not quite the perfect analogy since mass effect isn't that bad, but i hope it's enough for you to understand where i'm coming from...)

I understand, no hard feelings. Although it was maybe intended in a light hearted way it seemed to come across as holier-than-thou. When Szadou does it on the other hand, it doesn't come across as being so serious. But maybe that's because nobody takes him seriously anyway
Cognitive Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #7459
SLIT YOUR GUTZ
SHIT YOUR BUTTS

I got the Duke Nukem Forever balls of steel in the mail today (xbox, it was $60 on amazon). The artbook and statue are pretty sweet, so far I'm enjoying the game, even though load times are long and the graphics are bit dated. It's fun so far though.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #7460
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadge View Post
Max Payne 3 has a release date & a boxcover.

"Last month Rockstar put out a few new screenshots of Max Payne 3, and today the company has revealed even more details about the game, including a release date.

Max Payne 3 will come out in March for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC in North America and Europe.

Apart from the game's release date, Rockstar also talked about the game's introduction of multiplayer to the franchise. This component of the game will not only feature the traditional multiplayer experience (complete with loadouts, clans, rewards, and leveling), but it will also "dynamically" alter maps and feature a mode progression for all of the match's players.

Given what Rockstar has been doing with Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer, we're just as excited for this mode as we are for the gritty single-player story campaign."

i'm excited but that cover art looks more like Grand Theft Auto V than Max Payne 3 haha
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #7461
Radcunt
cock joke

Max Payne 3 definitely looks like film noir. Maybe they won't butcher it, but more likely they will. If only Remedy hadn't gone off to do those god damn Alan Wake games.
Radcunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #7462
Popegina
Lactation Consultant

YES

Popegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #7463
Jizzlobber
Generic Title

Last night, I made a good amount of progress in Dead Island... So today when I load it back up I'm back to where I was yesterday morning! It said it auto-saving all the time last night!!! Why isn't there a manual save feature!?!? FFFUUUUUUUUU-
Jizzlobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #7464
SLIT YOUR GUTZ
SHIT YOUR BUTTS

Wow that sounds shitty, I wonder if that's a common glitch.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #7465
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOwnSavior View Post
Why isn't there a manual save feature!?!? FFFUUUUUUUUU-
Yep, so FUCKING stupid.
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #7466
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET

Max Payne in Sao Paulo has potential if you ask me. Rino is probably the final boss
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #7467
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 18 discombobulation beat up jewskidiscombobulation beat up jewski
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca View Post
Max Payne in Sao Paulo has potential if you ask me. Rino is probably the final boss
hahaha
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 AM   #7468
SixSickSix

chyeah boiiii!!
SixSickSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #7469
Javi
Bring Them Down!

Spent my Battlefield 3 pre-order money on pants. Shoot!
Next payday
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #7470
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popegina View Post
YES