Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Atheist

Atheist Website

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Tyler Durden slam gang member
Anyone else not so excited about the Patrick Mameli's Pestilence non-reunion???

Taken fron Slabbermouth article:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=88730

PESTILENCE Resurrected: 'More Tech And Way More Brutal Than Ever Before' - Jan. 18, 2008

Dutch guitarist/vocalist Patrick Mameli has confirmed to BLABBERMOUTH.NET that he has resurrected his late '80s/early '90s death metal outfit PESTILENCE with a brand new lineup, featuring Patrick on vocals and guitar, Tony Choy (ATHEIST, CYNIC) on bass and Peter Wildoer (DARKANE, NON-HUMAN LEVEL) on drums. Patrick is reportedly working on new material which he has described as a modern fusion of "Testimony of the Ancients" (1991) and "Spheres" (1993), but even more technical and brutal. The group's new album will tentatively be recorded by Danish producer Jacob Hansen (RAUNCHY, INVOCATOR) and produced by Patrick himself, and will be issued through Holland's Mascot Records.

Speaking to BLABBERMOUTH.NET regarding his decision to bring PESTILENCE back from the dead, Mameli stated, "It's not a reunion, because I will not be playing with any of the old lineup guys, except Tony Choy [who played on 'Testimony'], of course so...

"I always stated there WILL NEVER BE a reunion, and there won't be, since I never look back at the past and I refuse now to play with people that are not on the same musical level as I am.

"I sang on 'Testimony' and 'Spheres' (two albums later from 'Consuming Impulse' [1989]!!), so no need for [original PESTILENCE frontman] Martin [Van Drunen]. This because of the above statement I just made. Furthermore, Martin is doing other things. Good for him.

"So now you have two members that were in PESTILENCE before and one new guy.

"The reason why I bring PESTILENCE back to life is that people/fans keep asking me for this. The time is right now and Mascot is giving me the opportunity to do so.

"As you know, I have always been the driving force behind PESTILENCE, writing all the music and so forth, so that I can state: I will bring back PESTILENCE to life. More tech and way more brutal than ever before."

Mameli's C-187 project, which also features Tony Choy, Sean Reinert (drums; CYNIC, ex-DEATH) and Tony Jelencovich (vocals; M.A.N, ex-TRANSPORT LEAGUE, MNEMIC), released its debut album, "Collision", last year via Mascot Records. The CD was recorded at Spacelab Studios in Oedt/Moers (near Düsseldorf), Germany and was mixed by Jacob Hansen.

Quote:
Mameli stated, "It's not a reunion, because I will not be playing with any of the old lineup guys, except Tony Choy [who played on 'Testimony'], of course so...

"I always stated there WILL NEVER BE a reunion, and there won't be, since I never look back at the past and I refuse now to play with people that are not on the same musical level as I am.
Is this not a contradiction in terms? If it's not a reunion - why use the old band name? OK, I can understand Marco not playing drums, as his style always sounded quite basic & there are far superior drummers out there who can now fit in with the 'technical' aspect of the music. With Mr. Choy - who WOULDN'T want the Technical Death Bass Master to play on their album??? However, if Mameli seriously thinks he's on a far superior musical level as a vocalist than Martin Van Drunen - then I'd say his head has been seriously warped by the Hobbit's 'leaf' Patrick, you're an amazing guitarist (I'll give you that), but your vocals are nothing compared to Van Drunen's!

Quote:
"I sang on 'Testimony' and 'Spheres' (two albums later from 'Consuming Impulse' [1989]!!), so no need for [original PESTILENCE frontman] Martin [Van Drunen]. This because of the above statement I just made. Furthermore, Martin is doing other things. Good for him.
Yes, like Martin hadn't already approached you before now for the purpose of a Pestilence reunion & like Martin would really give into your egotistical demands, by only playing songs from Testimony & Spheres - whilst completely ignoring the earlier classics, 'Mallevs Malleficarvm & Consvming Impvlse', which HE sang on??? What's the point of bringing Pestilence back when you're going to ignore the first 2 albums

See one of Martin Van Drunen's honest interviews here for further elaboration on Mameli's apparently deranged psychosis...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=76038

Quote:
"The reason why I bring PESTILENCE back to life is that people/fans keep asking me for this. The time is right now and Mascot is giving me the opportunity to do so.
Sorry, Patrick - but I think you severely misinterpreted the actual Pestilence line-up your fans wanted to see & hear. OK, so you've finally been encouraged to lay down your C-187 rap crap and get back to Technical Death Metal again, and whilst we have no doubt as to your guitar widdling capabilities & the calibre of music you could write with Tony & Peter behind you, it may be best to call the band something else don't you think? To call this band Pestilence will be rather misleading under the circumstances. Your fans will still stick by you as I'm sure we're all interested enough to hear any new non-rap music you do, but think very carefully about your legacy will you???