SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Green Carnation

Green Carnation Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 05-25-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
MaryMagdeline

Egomaniac Satyr (RANT)

I received my new Decibel magazine and was taking a look at it and I saw something in there that made my blood boil. In bold letters on a Satyricon interview Satyr was attacking Green Carnation. Specifically "The Acoustic Verses" It really turned me off. I have all of Satyricon's CD's and even a shirt of theirs. I remember Tchort saying that these guys are a$$holes and now I see what he means. I mean Tchort played for them for like what? two years? And they never even give him any recognition for it, and then blatently downgrades a project that was near and dear to Tchort's heart!!! And they just played that radio show together. In my opinion I think he's just jealous because "Acoustic Verses" is a super high quality, work of art. Satyricon will never make a recording that would ever even compare to the genius that is Green Carnation......RANT OVER :Mrt:
MaryMagdeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
EricT

Attacking? I don't read many metal-mags (hard to find in utah) so I don't get to see this stuff. Can ya scan the article or anything so I can read?
EricT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
NeptuneTowers

I think Rebel Extravaganza was one of the best things to happen to modern black metal. Since when is it news that men in black metal bands are assholes?
(Decible magazince sucks by the way... what you need is to get yourself some unrestrained.)

Last edited by NeptuneTowers; 05-25-2006 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: mhm
NeptuneTowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
immortaldebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneTowers
I think Rebel Extravaganza was one of the best things to happen to modern black metal. Since when is it news that men in black metal bands are assholes?
(Decible magazince sucks by the way... what you need is to get yourself some unrestrained.)
I LOVE my Satyricon CD's, have their sticker on my car, and their shirts. That is why I was so disappointed to read this slander. I happen to enjoy decibel magazine among many others. What is that to you?

I'll have to check out this "unrestrained" magazine. It must be Canadian. BWBK is available here. Meh.

I don't own a scanner but I'll type out what he said later when I get home from work.
immortaldebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:26 AM   #5
karpsmom

Hearing somebody say Satyr is an egomaniac asshole is like hearing someone say the sky is blue. Satyricon's last good album was Rebel Extravaganza IMO. The new album is a fucking joke, I listen to it only because it literally makes me laugh for most of it. Everything about Satyricon now feels like parody of themselves! They should have stuck with the folk black metal or the Thorns style stuff rather than play this terrible black and roll.
karpsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

"Now, Diabolical" is a great improvement from the stretch of boredom that was Volcano if you ask me..

But then, Nemesis Divina and The Shadowthrone remain untouched by far.
MadTinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
karpsmom

Yea it's better than Volcano. But that doesn't make it good.
karpsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #8
Savn

Beef is coming, the metal scene goes gangsta.
Savn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
darkestdepth

Satyr: "True jazz is disharmonic, unstructured, and quite often confusing."
http://decibelmagazine.com/Content.aspx?ncid=336224

Wrong, and very confusing statement.

"True jazz" is the crossing of boundaries. True jazz is to be able to appreciate both jazz and Satyricon. And it's disturbing to read such an ill-informed bashing. True jazz is the approach where you're open to all kinds of influences and try to bring them together, lead by the presumption of oneness. We're all one in our emotions and experiences, and music reflects that, the diversity in musical tradition being nothing but more colours in the bouquet. Let's leave jazz for a moment, and talk about music in general: music is beauty, and what is truly disharmonic, is a statement of division, segregation and lack of understanding, such as Sigurd's.

To quote the authorities, "jazz" has been qualified as swing+improvisation. Which one does Sigurd object, the swing or improvisation? Frost brings true jazz groove to Satyricon, so it can't be that. I'm not sure whether improvisation is Satyr's forte: it requires stepping out of one's ego; listening and becoming one with the other(s).
It eludes Sigurd that jazz is also composition. Thelonious Monk, Miles, Coltrane, Jaco Pastorius were one of the best composers. They were always on the lookout for more notes in extended harmonies.
Perhaps Satyr has his own definition of "true" jazz, one of which the jazz community is unaware.
We know he is a great composer, and we're looking forward to his own progression/ further crossing of boundaries.

A jazz master gives an example: Indian, symphonic and African-American music in what is a definition of beauty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aStRo...layer_embedded
darkestdepth is offline   Reply With Quote