SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Green Carnation

Green Carnation Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Mariska

How did you find out about Green Carnation?

I see the forum is dying a slow death, so maybe time for some new topics.
How did you all get to know Green Carnation, and have you know them for a long time? Are you a big fan? Have you seen them live?

I myself hadn't heard about them, until I saw them for the first time on Progpower Baarlo (Holland)in October 2005. I was working there as merch girl for Epica, who were headlining this festival (god knows why, cause there's nothing progressive about Epica hehe). After that show I visited the website and listened to some more music.(and got in touch with Michael :) ) I liked what I heard and ordered The Quiet Offspring online. After that I got the other albums and the dvd's and now I'm slowly brainwashing all my friends and even complete strangers to listen to GC :P After the Prog Power gig I attended one acoustic gig in Kristiansand and the gig @ Quart Festival. And of course I was there with the Under The Dam recordings. Guess I'm very lucky to have a boyfriend in the band ;)

How about you guys?
Mariska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
nickc

I was browsing various "prog" Favourites lists on Amazon in about September 2003 when I came across a recommendation for Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness. Was particularly intrigued by the name of the band (its flowery interpretation, rather than the "green rotting flesh" interpretation that Tchort and co. apparently intended when they devised it as teenagers) and its lack of lame macho attitude.

This was back in the day when metal bands producing long songs (incorrectly referred to as progressive metal) was still something that guaranteed I'd check them out (I prefer textural, succinct music now, but love a well-done long song: Symphony X and GC have produced the finest examples I've come across). That said, LODDOD is, in many ways, progressive.

Downloaded it immediately and fell in love with it even quicker. Immediately downloaded Blessing In Disguise, and a minute into the opener (Crushed To Dust is one of the best opening tracks you'll ever find...) became obsessed with the band and had a new favourite rock singer!

Now own the entire catalogue (bought... who ever said downloads don't help lesser-known bands discover an audience???), including a signed copy of Blessing (my favourite GC album - the signed cover is now framed and on my wall).

Seen them at both their London shows, and have an unused ticket for Under The Dam (nearly made it). Oh, and VERY nearly made it to the show at Vnuk's in Milwaukee last March (I was in Chicago, a couple of hours' drive away, for a conference).

Last edited by nickc; 03-05-2007 at 04:40 PM..
nickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
nickc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariska View Post
I see the forum is dying a slow death, so maybe time for some new topics.
And I have to agree - why's it all so quiet???
nickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:55 AM   #4
Soundjunkie

i check the forum a lot, but always see nothing new and then just go on about my business..... hmmmmmmmmmm.....
Soundjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:35 AM   #5
Hobo
bum

heard about them in Katatonia forum (i think it was.. perhaps in opeth forum..) and downloaded Blessing.
ended up buying it, and now working my way through the entire catalogue :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickc
who ever said downloads don't help lesser-known bands discover an audience???
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Eliane

The first GC album (Journey...)was release over here by Hellion Records,that come to be the recordstore where I work for.When I listened "Under Eternal Star" for the first time I fell in love immediately,until today is one of my favourite CG song.They've became part of my life,since then.
I'm proud to say that I was the first person who introduced GC for most of their brazilian's fans.:).

Last edited by Eliane; 06-04-2007 at 11:23 PM..
Eliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

I heard/read about them in 2001, 2002 or so..? Then I downloaded the 7-minute excerpt of LoD DoD and really liked it, so I bought the album and remained a fan since then :)
MadTinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #8
Blndsk4

I heard a 7-minute version of LOD, DOD on a digital cable music channel. I kinda forgot about it for a year or so, then one day I remembered about it and downloaded some of their songs. Then I bought all their albums and they're currently my favorite band.
Blndsk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
NiF

I discovered them after buying a compilation of artists from Prophecy Productions. There was the 7-minute version of LoDDoD and I liked what I heard. Then I stumbled across the actual CD, bought it and was hooked. It wasn't long before I had bought all four albums - and of course I had to get Acoustic Verses when it was released. I love the band; and they're responsible for opening my eyes to the great In the Woods, too. Can't wait for the next album!
NiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
NOCTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliane View Post
The first GC album (Journey...)was release over here by Hellion Records,that come to be the recordstore where I work for.When I listened "Under Eternal Star" for the first time I fell in love immediately,until today is one of my favourite CG song.They've became part of my life,since then.
I've proud to say that I was the first person who introduced GC for most of their brazilian's fans.:).
So, as like Eliane, I´ve also known GC through Hellion Records!!! Some time after that, I knew The Quiet Offspring and the others albums!! I thought just fantastic!!!
NOCTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #11
WhereDoEaglesDare?
Brave New World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blndsk4 View Post
I heard a 7-minute version of LOD, DOD on a digital cable music channel. I kinda forgot about it for a year or so, then one day I remembered about it and downloaded some of their songs. Then I bought all their albums and they're currently my favorite band.
from this guy
WhereDoEaglesDare? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:37 AM   #12
Blndsk4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereDoEaglesDare? View Post
from this guy
Hey buddy.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:50 AM   #13
WhereDoEaglesDare?
Brave New World

Quote:
Hey buddy.
WhereDoEaglesDare? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #14
deadxbutxdreaming

I used to post in the myspace group The Mosh Pit and someone suggested the band to me
deadxbutxdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:16 AM   #15
karpsmom

I was just obsessed with Norwegian heavy metal bands and the black metal world, and the name just kept popping up on various websites. Eventually I saw that they were touring the USA, so I began listening to them to get ready for the show and I really liked them!
karpsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #16
NOCTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpsmom View Post
I was just obsessed with Norwegian heavy metal bands and the black metal world, and the name just kept popping up on various websites. Eventually I saw that they were touring the USA, so I began listening to them to get ready for the show and I really liked them!
You´re right!!! Almost all bands I most enjoy are from Scandinavia!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #17
Blndsk4

Same here. Finland, Sweden and Norway are producing the best music these days.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
Eliane

Quote:
Yes...I agree.... nowadays,most of good bands came from Europe....amazing bands and handsome guys....Europe rocks

Last edited by Eliane; 05-30-2007 at 10:19 PM..
Eliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 AM   #19
cheechonaleash

I first heard of GC while browsing the official Opeth forum. I'm not sure when this was... a few years ago, I'm guessing about 3 years ago? I have not seen them live, unfortunately. I was quite excited to see they'd be coming so close (Day of the Equinox)... but then I just didn't make it to the show! I would also say that I'm a pretty big fan... GC are definitely in my top 10 favourite bands. Really looking forward to some new stuff, as well as Sordal's solo project!
cheechonaleash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #20
FASNIC

I download a lot of music off newsgroups... Yes I delete what I don't like and generally buy what I do. I was going through one day in April 2005 and found a listing that was requesting Agalloch, and was posting Green Carnation... So I figured I Love Agalloch, the person does too... Must have good taste in music, I'll give them a try. They had posted Blessing in Disguise and The Quiet Offspring. Now I never listen to the first song of a new band\album.... Any band can have one good song, and they Always put it as the first track. I therefor listen to the second song. So the first song by GC I ever listened to was Lullaby in Winter... I was blown away by the band right then. I started looking up info on them, who they were; where they were from... everything. By week's end I had all their CDs on order, the DVD, and the 3 LP box set from The End. It had been years since a band had hit me that hard, and been that amazing.... They are in my top 5 all time.

Since then I have seen them in Toronto at Day of the Equinox (With Agalloch, amazing combo; plus they did LODDOD), in Buffalo NY, Kent OH, and went to Under the Dam.

When I find great music I will do anything to get it. :D
FASNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #21
NOCTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliane View Post
Yes...I agree.... nowadays,most of good bands came from Europe....amazing bands and handsome guys....Europe rocks

Hell yeah!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:03 AM   #22
AshDLS

I can't quite remember! I think I came across a copy of Journey at a local CD store and it had a sticker on it, mentioning who was in the band. I didn't pick it up at the time though, but then a bit later down the track I made a huge order from Prophecy which included LODDOD (after reading some solid reviews), and it just went from there. :)
AshDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #23
FASNIC

Quote:
Agreed.... Besides Green Carnation, I listen to Viikate (granted they sing all in Finnish and I can't understand a word they say, but the music rocks) The Gathering, Racoon, Nightwish, and Apocalyptica among others... Just some of the best music out there today.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #24
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASNIC View Post
Racoon
Didn't know anyone knew them outside Holland :) They're not that bad, but they played that cheesy hit "Love You More" to death on the radio here...
MadTinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #25
FASNIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus View Post
Didn't know anyone knew them outside Holland :) They're not that bad, but they played that cheesy hit "Love You More" to death on the radio here...

Funny enough, they found me on Myspace, and I gave them a listen. I really like their sound, nice, light, and fun.... Good change of pace sometimes. Ordered their cds and looking forward to hearing more.

I can totally see that song being overplayed on the radio. :) They do that here with songs that are somewhat good... But then they play it so much you learn to Hate the song.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #26
OwnersMk

No a bit of joke, but this rocks http://sourceradix.com/h23.html
OwnersMk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #27
anon?

nope :)
anon? is offline   Reply With Quote