SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Green Carnation

Green Carnation Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
NiF

Porcupine Tree

Alright, so, I know this is somewhat inappropriate in that it has little to do with Green Carnation - but I am seeking the guidance of you wise people.

Porcupine Tree is getting mentioned a lot on here and I have come across the name many times before. Always with high praise to back it up, so to speak. For me, it is one of those bands I have been meaning to check out for months or even years. Now, however, I am prepared to make an effort and well, give them a chance. And consequently, I would appreciate some advice; id est, where to start, what to expect and so forth. Supposedly, they play progressive rock and I have heard them compared to later Anathema and the like. They have a pretty large discography, so my main question remains: what album(s) will give me a good, solid introduction to PT?

Thank you =)
NiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #2
nickc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiF View Post
Alright, so, I know this is somewhat inappropriate in that it has little to do with Green Carnation - but I am seeking the guidance of you wise people.

Porcupine Tree is getting mentioned a lot on here and I have come across the name many times before. Always with high praise to back it up, so to speak. For me, it is one of those bands I have been meaning to check out for months or even years. Now, however, I am prepared to make an effort and well, give them a chance. And consequently, I would appreciate some advice; id est, where to start, what to expect and so forth. Supposedly, they play progressive rock and I have heard them compared to later Anathema and the like. They have a pretty large discography, so my main question remains: what album(s) will give me a good, solid introduction to PT?

Thank you =)
Welcome back, NiF - was wondering where you'd gone!

For me, the top albums are:

1. Lightbulb Sun: pop songs, mostly with a common theme of failed relationships and rejection. Poignant and honest.
2. In Absentia: pop songs, first moves towards a heavier sound, sophisticated arrangements and production
3. Deadwing: continuation of the In Absentia direction, and at least as good a record. Not quite as immediate as In Absentia, but far more rewarding if you give it time.
4. Stupid Dream: first pop album, lots of hooks and great moments.
5. The Sky Moves Sideways: melancholic - best listened to on gloomy days when the wind's blowing, with all your windows open. Demonstrates PT's earlier hallmarks, e.g. electronica, long songs.

You could also try their newest release. I'm still undecided on where it fits in, but it's a good record, no doubt!
nickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Eliane

Yeah, Deadwing, In Absentia,Stupid Dreams,they're a classics....you must have to start with one of them...:D
Eliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:49 AM   #4
nickc

In Absentia was my first album, and I was just thinking that's probably a good route in for anybody. You've got two all-time classic PT songs as the first two tracks, and it maintains its quality for most of the remainder.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 AM   #5
nickc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliane View Post
Yeah, Deadwing, In Absentia,Stupid Dreams,they're a classics....you must have to start with one of them...:D
Any room for Lighbulb...?

Old 06-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
Eliane

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickc View Post
Any room for Lighbulb...?

Ok...and Lightbulb Sun...sorry my mystake.. I loved this album from the moment I heard it. I checked out PT because of their singer Steve Wilson being Opeth's producer....This was my first experience with PT...."How Is Your Life Today"...I love that song...Gosh,I must have to listening this album again...I completely forgot about it...
Old 06-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
nickc

Quote:
Ok...and Lightbulb Sun...sorry my mystake.. I loved this album from the moment I heard it. I checked out PT because of their singer Steve Wilson being Opeth's producer....This was my first experience with PT...."How Is Your Life Today"...I love that song...Gosh,I must have to listening this album again...I completely forgot about it...
Great song, and one that lays bare his motivation/inspiration for the record. Saw him perform it solo on keyboards a couple of years ago when he did a solo (with an electric violinist helping him out on "Even Less") support slot for Blackfield, along with Anathema playing with a string quartet. Was a fantastic night

"...and the neighbours have guessed 'cos I've cancelled the milk
and they can't hear your voice through the wall anymore..."
Old 06-11-2007, 03:49 AM   #8
Blndsk4

In Absentia is what got me into them. Probably the best album to start with IMO.
Blndsk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blndsk4 View Post
In Absentia is what got me into them. Probably the best album to start with IMO.
Yes, IA is definitely the best place to start! That or the new one.
MadTinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
WhereDoEaglesDare?
Brave New World

shame about the new album not being very good (atleast imo) :(
WhereDoEaglesDare? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 AM   #11
nickc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereDoEaglesDare? View Post
shame about the new album not being very good (atleast imo) :(
Give it more time ;O)

I thought the same thing about Deadwing for a long time, but it's now my second-favourite PT album.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

What Nick said..
Old 06-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #13
NiF

Quote:
Welcome back, NiF - was wondering where you'd gone!
Thank you! I still check here every now and then but I've been quite busy with my final exams and the like, so I reckon I haven't really been active. I have, of course, been following the suggestions in this thread; and I finally found a download for their entire discography (not to worry, I always end up buying good music and pretty much deleting the rest).

I have listened to three albums so far: that is, In Absentia (according to popular demand, so to speak), Deadwing (because it seemed like the next logical step) and On the Sunday of Life (to experience their older material). I'm pretty impressed, to be honest. I do think the albums will grow on me (it seems to be the kind of music); and I might end up loving Porcupine Tree as much as the rest of you. They certainly have potential.

On that note, I was reading about them on various internet sites and I noticed that they're playing in Copenhagen, Denmark next month. I phoned up a friend of mine, and ordered two tickets immediately! I figure I have ample time to get into their new album before then =)

So well, I appreciate the "help" and the motivation to finally give this band a chance. Another good thing coming from Britain, hehe. Please excuse the excessive use of parentheses; I am rather all over the place today.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

You're in for a magnificent live experience!
Old 06-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
nickc

Quote:
Please excuse the excessive use of parentheses; I am rather all over the place today.
No worries - you punctuate very well!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
Eliane

Hey guys,I gave FOBP another chance.And you know what? You were right. I haven't been able to stop listening to this CD.

"the pills that I've been taking confuse me."
Old 06-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #17
NiF

Quote:
Hey guys,I gave FOBP another chance.And you know what? You were right. I haven't been able to stop listening to this CD.
I completely agree with all of you - FoaBP is a good album. With such an album, the concert has great potential. I do, however, hope that they will play songs from past albums as well. I quite like what I've heard of their older material.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #18
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

Quote:

"the pills that I've been taking confuse me."
Good, I'm proud of you!
Quote:
I completely agree with all of you - FoaBP is a good album. With such an album, the concert has great potential. I do, however, hope that they will play songs from past albums as well. I quite like what I've heard of their older material.
They'll definitely play other songs, also some more 'obscure' B-side songs, so be sure to check them out too.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
nickc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus View Post
Good, I'm proud of you! They'll definitely play other songs, also some more 'obscure' B-side songs, so be sure to check them out too.
Yeah, there's a B-side from the Lighbulb Sun days called "Buying New Soul" - I LOVE that song and they played it at the London show last year. Most people there didn't have a clue what it was! If you guys haven't heard it, go find!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #20
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

Quote:
Yeah, there's a B-side from the Lighbulb Sun days called "Buying New Soul" - I LOVE that song and they played it at the London show last year. Most people there didn't have a clue what it was! If you guys haven't heard it, go find!
"Buying New Soul" is featured on the "Recordings" album, which is a collection of B-sides and 'obscure' tracks. Despite that, the album is regarded by many fans (including myself) to be some of PT's finest material. The album was released in a limited numbered edition of 20,000 copies and is long sold out and therefore only available on ebay for quite a lot of money (prepare to pay at least 70 euro).
Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #21
NiF

Okay, so I went to the concert - and it was brilliant. I haven't seen all that many concerts in my life so far but this one was definitely among the best of such experiences, only rivalled by a very intimate GC concert about a year ago (!). I want to thank you all for mentioning/discussing PT so often that I finally gave them a proper chance. I actually downloaded Deadwing a few years ago, listened through it quickly and decided against the band. Now I know better! =)

Edit: They performed the entire FoaBP and a lot of stuff from IA and SD. The only disappointment was that they did not (as far as I could tell) play anything off the first couple of releases - I would've loved to hear Radioactive Toy or something. Ah well.

Last edited by NiF; 07-12-2007 at 08:54 AM..
Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #22
nickc

Quote:
Okay, so I went to the concert - and it was brilliant. I haven't seen all that many concerts in my life so far but this one was definitely among the best of such experiences, only rivalled by a very intimate GC concert about a year ago (!). I want to thank you all for mentioning/discussing PT so often that I finally gave them a proper chance. I actually downloaded Deadwing a few years ago, listened through it quickly and decided against the band. Now I know better! =)

Edit: They performed the entire FoaBP and a lot of stuff from IA and SD. The only disappointment was that they did not (as far as I could tell) play anything off the first couple of releases - I would've loved to hear Radioactive Toy or something. Ah well.
Cool, that.

My best concerts so far have gone:

'02: Opeth
'03: Opeth
'04: Can't remember
'05: Green Carnation
'06: Porcupine Tree
'07: Hmmm, not sure, not been to many this year. Have Tool coming up in August...

PT generally throws in just one or two REALLY old tracks per gig. Surprised you didn't get anything. You're lucky to get stuff from Stupid Dream, though. They've only EVER played Even Less when I've seen them (about 5 or 6 times now). NOT ONE of the other songs... damn them!!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #23
Eliane

Quote:
Cool, that.

'02: Opeth
'03: Opeth
'04: Can't remember
'05: Green Carnation
'06: Porcupine Tree
'07: Hmmm, not sure, not been to many this year. Have Tool coming up in August...

PT generally throws in just one or two REALLY old tracks per gig. Surprised you didn't get anything. You're lucky to get stuff from Stupid Dream, though. They've only EVER played Even Less when I've seen them (about 5 or 6 times now). NOT ONE of the other songs... damn them!!
Guys, I want to see PT concert.Damn!!!
'01/'04-Therion
'02-A-Ha
'04-Massive Attack
'05-Evergrey
'05-W.A.S.P./Vader
'06-The Gathering
'06-Paradise Lost

Last edited by Eliane; 07-12-2007 at 03:46 PM..
Old 09-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #24
Black Rose

I feel it is very difficult to tell you where to begin, because they are soooo diverse. My favorite of all is: Voyage 34. Quite different of anything I have ever heard. I guess you have already gotten started by now, so you are past the obvious. Please try Voyage, it is definately a magnificent voyage.
I adore anything of them, but more so now that they have gotten this more rocking sound (borowed form Opeth I guess). I'll be happy to see them on november 22nd when they're here in Belgium.
Quote:

Thank you =)
Black Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #25
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

Who's heard Nil Recurring already? Thoughts? My copy should be on its way here.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #26
nickc

Quote:
Hope I receive mine by Monday.

I haven't cheated by downloading it, so not heard it yet. May cheat this weekend and get Shadows Of The Sun... a friend's downloaded it and keeps telling me how good it is, so my willpower is wearing thin...
Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 AM   #27
MadTinus
Detonation Moddereeter

Shadows Of The Sun, is that a band or a song?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #28
nickc

Quote:
Shadows Of The Sun, is that a band or a song?
New Ulver album.

I've ordered the limited edition with a cool t-shirt, can't wait for it to arrive!!
Old 09-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #29
Black Rose

Quote:
Ordered the DVD Fear of a blank ......... with Nil Recurring included, but didn't get it yet. Looking forward to it. As MadTinus also very interested in thoughts of someone who did hear it already.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #30
Black Rose

Nil Recuring

Quote:
Hope I receive mine by Monday.

I haven't cheated by downloading it, so not heard it yet. May cheat this weekend and get Shadows Of The Sun... a friend's downloaded it and keeps telling me how good it is, so my willpower is wearing thin...
Tell me about it. My friend just e-mailed that he had received it ...... why does he have to live the other side of the country and can I only hear it on monday I don't like to download to much stuff, I like to hold the real thing in my hands (call me oldfashioned). But the agony of waiting is part of the thrill isn't it?