Quote:
nodding along with crackhead zeal
lol
sickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Alphatrion

CD review: Malignancy - Inhuman Grotesqueries
Willowtip Records, 2007 | Review published: 2007/11/25

Malignancy is an emerging technical brutal death metal band from New York that manages to stay technical and precise without losing any brutality. I’m generally not big on most technical death metal because it seems to be filled with meaningless wankery that makes it seem like the band is trying to show off, but Malignancy plays it in a way that sounds fresh and impressive.

This is possibly the most technical death metal album of 2007, but that’s not necessarily a good thing. There is not an album out there that contains more pinch harmonics than this one, and that fact alone makes this release hard to digest at first listen. After the first fifteen minutes or so, I tend to lose interest though, and while there aren’t any weak tracks on the entire album, no song stands out, and nothing is particularly catchy.

Ron Kachnic’s riffs, especially in the song, “Protagonist Complacence”, are fucking insane. The fluid riffs accented by the incessant pinch harmonics work very well, and even more impressive is the way all of those time changes work together with the drumming. Despite numerous changes in riffs and song structure, the musicians actually play together, which is becoming less prominent in current tech death.

Even though sometimes it sounds like they’re being technical just for the sake of being technical, the songs are still fun to listen to. Inhuman Grotesqueries is definitely a must have for any fans of technical brutal death metal, and I can only imagine what these guys will be able to come up with next.

Nicholas Dow
www.soundofmetal.se
Alphatrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Transient
i wont

danny what is your day job/do they know you write this kind of music
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
Alphatrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
danny what is your day job/do they know you write this kind of music
I work in an art department at a promotions company in da BX yo.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
devastated

Did you put "Vocalist/lyricist - Malignacy 1992 - present" on your resume?
devastated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Alphatrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastated View Post
Did you put "Vocalist/lyricist - Malignacy 1992 - present" on your resume?
Hahahah, of course I did.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:54 AM   #8
Alphatrion

VoidExpression.net

Malignancy - Inhuman Grotesqueries (Willowtip)
Fifteen years and still going strong, New York’s Malignancy have once again struck gory gold with their second full-length (amidst innumerable demos and the like), twelve tracks of blasting mayhem exploring the more brutal side of technical death metal. This is a pure, in-your-face unrelenting attack from the veterans, who sound as fresh now as they did a decade ago thanks in large part to Kachnic’s ever-evolving, intricate riffs and Danny Nelson’s exceptionally diverse vocal work, proving once again that he is one of the best in the game. A must-have for fans of highly original and devastating fare, the aptly titled Inhuman Grotesqueries has set the bar high for the remainder of the year’s death metal releases.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
ixdxpx

Malignancy "Inhuman Grotesqueries"

Label: Willowtip Records
Year: 2007
Format: CD
Tracks: 13
Genre: Brutal Technical Grind

Ah, Malignancy. One of metal's greatest paradoxes: a band that always has at least one Mortician member yet doesn't suck. It's mind-boggling. And it also leads into a second paradox: if Roger J. Beaujard plays drums so damn well, why the fuck did Mortician never use his drum skills instead of that bloody drum machine? Don't answer that as the attempt may break cosmological laws of physics, destroying our universe as we know it.

Inhuman Grotesqueries sees a changing of the guard in Malignancy though, as Beaujard is nowhere to be seen on this album, having been replaced by Mike Heller. (Though the Mortician tradition is still somewhat intact with live guitarist Ron Kachnic) Despite the lineup changes, Inhuman Grotesqueries continues forth to grind out the quality brutality, more so than usual. In fact, this is probably Malignancy's best album to date. Malignancy still unleashes the pinch-harmonic happy riffing like Charlton Heston's gun collection at a NRA convention. Heller puts forth a drumming performance that is a chaotic whirlwind of percussion, but never gets overly technical or too straight forward. And Danny Nelson's gurgling vocal performance is sick and disturbing as usual.

But that's not what sets Inhuman Grotesqueries apart from the rest of the Malignancy discography. What sets it apart is the sheer variety that Malignancy shoved into the song writing. There are elements on here where I had to double check my CD player at times to check that I was in fact listening to Malignancy. Songs like "Protagonist Complacence" and "Benign Reabsorption" have segments that sound more akin to brutal death metal bands like Odious Mortem in terms of their catchy song writing, but then there are other moments like on the hidden track where I could easily see the music being derived from more progressive instrumental acts or even some technical thrash acts. And oddly, Malignancy implements these sections so well that it actually doesn't remotely seem out of place; Malignancy managed to create a diversified work of brutal technical grind that is extremely cohesive.

Inhuman Grotesqueries is Malignancy's best work to date. I can safely recommend this to any fan of brutal death/grind. It is easily one of my favorite releases of 2007, and I can see myself continuing to listen to it well into 2008. Now if only they would release new material more frequently. Or better yet, offer to write Mortician's albums so they'll actually be bearable.

Review: Necro-Tron

www.teufelstomb.com
ixdxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Alphatrion

Love the review, hate the Odious Mortem comparison.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
ixdxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphatrion View Post
Love the review, hate the Odious Mortem comparison.
I'll post my own review soon. I'm kvlt so my review will only be published in a print zine. lol

I'm a fan, and when I heard the songs on "Promo 2005" that was enough for me to be confident that "Inhuman Grotesqueries" would pulverize the previous material and it did. Malignancy is one of the bands that have been consistent in outdoing themselves musically, lyrically, and visually without sacrificing their integrity. The only gripe I have with "Inhuman Grotesqueries" is that it doesn't sound as dark and sinister as "Cross Species Transmutation." I don't know, there is no question that the material in "Inhuman Grotesqueries" are the sickest ("Inhuman Grotesqueries", "Protagonist Complacence", "Organic Machinery" and "Pathological Imperative"), but there is something missing for me that I have been so used to hearing in a Malignancy material. I don't know... This is why I'm having a hard time working on my review for "Inhuman Grotesqueries", I need more time and beer to listen to it. Anyways, I never listen to a Malignancy material overnight. I need to see through their eyes to fully enjoy the listening experience. I'll post it here when it's ready. It gonna be short and sweet like I always to with my reviews.

Last edited by ixdxpx; 01-30-2008 at 09:43 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 12:51 AM   #12
Alphatrion

BurningAngel.com
Reviewed by Mike Explosion

New York’s Malignancy is an odd bunch. They formed in 1992, but this
album is only their second full-length. They have released a slew of
demos, EPs, and splits, but only TWO full lengths.
Apparently whatever they do is working, because this album is
pummeling from start to finish and has the qualities of a good
grinding death metal album. Danny Nelson’s guttural vocals are right
up there with the best of them, and the instrumentation lends itself
to keeping the listener interested when Nelson is not burping into
the microphone.

At a trim 31 minutes, this album wastes no time getting down to the
grind. It's refreshing in a genre that is plagued with bands who use
three minutes of samples in a three-and-a-half minute song.
Overall, this is a solid album to pick up if you’re a fan of
technical death metal/grind, which seems to be growing increasingly
popular. This isn’t the best death or grind metal album to come out
this year, but it’s worth a listen.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:18 AM   #13
Alphatrion

I cannot begin to stress my admiration for this band. Unfortunately, there are thousands of bedroom and garage clones out there, of which approximately seven are listenable. Too many death/gore/grind bands these days make a series of mistakes; they try too hard to make the vocals as indistinguishable as possible with gurgles, squeals and snorts or they are hardcore douchebags that play nothing but breakdowns and sing about ”smashing ya fuckin’ skull”.

That said – Malignancy are back with only their second full length proper, and does it ever dominate. The standout as always is the technical prowess of Ron Kachnic, his penchant for pinch harmonics shall forever go unrivaled. Inhuman Grotesqueries has really set a standard and plateau for this genre by doing something very, very important. They have taken their sound to the extreme without over doing it. Too many times music as chaotic and venomous as this can be completely impossible to wrap your head around, but even with the nonstop assault of Malignancy you still can easily figure and stay in touch with what is happening. They manage to put stops and points for you to pick out in each song that helps you know where you are at. The very Morbid Angel reminiscent intro to "Genital Hemangioma" takes things down to a completely different lurch (granted, this part last all of 22 seconds). The acoustic (!) intro and outro are truly spectacular caps to an otherwise pathologically intense murderfest.

With the addition of new drummer Mike Heller after the departure of founder Roger Beaujard (Mortician) in 2005, their sound is more focused than ever. Kachnic’s unwavering technical wizardry lays down the guidelines, followed step by step by Heller and bassist Lance Snyder. Never quick to lay on one verse, chorus or bridge for more than a few seconds, the Malignancy modis operandi is to decimate the listener with severe time signatures and never continuous direction. The real key here is that compared to the often nonstop blasting and unlistenable static grind of contemporaries, Malignancy is the quiet storm, the silent plague infesting the body and eating the brain.

The only complaint to this truly epic benchmark is the production of the vocals. Danny Nelson is one of my favorite front men in metal. He interacts and actually ‘talks’ to the crowd, as opposed to constantly conversing like his mouth is full of fried assholes. His dry, unprocessed delivery goes cold very quickly on Inhuman… it could be an affront to the processed gurgles of current bands, or just a rushed job. After many listens it becomes accompanying, but at first it is very up front and dry in the mix.

Justin.S

Standout Tracks
ALL

Deadtide.com
Old 11-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #14
ixdxpx

The Grimoire Of Exalted Deeds review of "Inhuman Grotesqueries" by Billzebub.

When I had taken a music class in college (to satisfy my degree requirements, not to study music as a musician), I was forced to learn about the jazz era, and much of that particular scene had no appeal to me. But I had learned that some of the jazz musicians, specifically the trumpet players, drew crowds because people wanted to see these people show off. Apparently the performances were improvisational, which suggests to me that seeing these people was more about seeing their feats of dexterity rather than sitting back and taking in the music. The professor who taught the class mentioned that some of the jazz musicians didn't want to be recorded because their "tricks" would then be copied. As I was feeling increasingly alienated from jazz I realized that a parallel can be made to some kinds of death metal. While there are death metal albums like Iniquity's "Seranadium" that have superbly crafted songs - riffs flowing into each other in such a way as to keep your ears glued to the music while the brutal-as-fuck vocals tear your soul apart - Seranadium can be heard from beginning to end many times in a row and each completion feels like the best horror movie in the world, there are also bands that have taken an approach that is more like what I have read about the jazz players in that the performance is more about the battle of dexterity (and of course, finding a blend between physical skill and musical sense). People who are new to death metal, or even some people who consider themselves death metal fans, would have far less trouble appreciating music that some critics say "goes nowhere" if they understood that albums like Malignancy's "Inhuman Grotesqueries" have to be listened-to with a different attitude. If this album is hard for you to digest, you just need one fact to keep you from dismissing the band: Ron Kachnic is a virtuoso guitar player. If Einstein were to tell me something about physics and I said to him that he sounded stupid, I would be the idiot, not he. So be very careful about making snap judgements about music like this. It's one of the styles of music that require you to be in the right receptive mood, and I think this makes it even more cool.

Link:

http://thegrimoire.com/Reviews/tabid...Willowtip.aspx
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
Alphatrion

Nice, thanks Bill!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Alphatrion

Inhuman Grotesqueries review in the new issue of Metal Maniacs
in the Critical Wax section, page 74. Check it out!