SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Periphery

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 03:45 AM   #61
polloymedio

Hey bulb... First off, let me say ur mixes sound real good.. Just one question though:

What would you recomend to give the bass drum a little more boost? Anyways, here's the address to one sample me and my brother made... maybe you could check it out and give me a few pointers? thanx a lot!

Alberto

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=751932
polloymedio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #62
bulb
Resident Misha

i would say go easy on the overall mix compression, overdoing it will actually take away from your low and high end, and personally im not a fan of compressing the kick, just eq it carefully!
bulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:34 PM   #63
Coryd

Bulb,

Hey man, just wondering about how many guitar and bass tracks you do? I read somewhere that...if i remember correctly you said you record a track and pan it left then record another and pan it right? Same for bass?

Can you take a listen to this below and let me know what you think. I did three guitar tracks, one bass track and one drum track. Its my first recording I have done everything on, so I decided to cover Far Away (Be Quiet and Drive) by the Deftones because it seemed like a pretty easy song to cover. Not finished yet, but here it is so far:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3yz2l3yw1lu
Coryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #64
poo

Misha, i have a little offtop question) (sorry for my English - i'm from Ukraine)

Your track "Unconditional (idea)" you wrote one or with someone in the co-authorship?

PS: your compositions is Awsome:)
poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #65
Coryd

Hey Bulb,

What do you use for mastering? I have Wavelab, but just wondered what you use in the mastering process?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #66
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryd View Post
Hey Bulb,

What do you use for mastering? I have Wavelab, but just wondered what you use in the mastering process?
hey dude i do two takes, one panned hard left and the other hard right, but for bass its just a single track in the middle
my tracks arent mastered since i dont really know a whole lot about it, havent really messed with it.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:58 AM   #67
ruonitb

can you give any general eqing advice for the guitars? I mean, your guitars sound huge and "fat and most people say that thats only possible with recording guitars a few times (doubling).
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #68
bulb
Resident Misha

its better to cut than to boost
remember that guitars are made of mids
remember that a tone that sounds good in the center will sound drastically different in just about every way when double tracked and vice versa
its hard to polish a turd, so make sure the sounds you are using are the best possible early in the recording stage, dont expect post processing to fix a bad guitar tone
leave space for the bass and highs, dont make your guitars drown everything else out
every change you make in the mix affects everything else, eqing the guitars slightly will change the way the drums sound etcetc
and most importantly dont rely on numbers and figures, trust your ears before anything else (especially if you are using accurate monitoring equipment)
Old 10-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #69
poo

Bulb!
Can you ask on my question?

Simply here in Russia there are your plagiarists!!!!!
poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #70
ruonitb

thanks bulb... :)

if you have the time, can you maybe check this short sample of a mix by me?
maybe you can tell me what I should change etc.
http://www.file-upload.net/download-...02-01.mp3.html

thanks already!
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #71
Coryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb View Post
hey dude i do two takes, one panned hard left and the other hard right, but for bass its just a single track in the middle
my tracks arent mastered since i dont really know a whole lot about it, havent really messed with it.
Thanks for the answers bro.
Just one other thing....is there anything you do with the track to increase the loudness or do you just record everything as loud as possible without clipping?

Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #72
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by poo View Post
Bulb!
Can you ask on my question?

Simply here in Russia there are your plagiarists!!!!!
Oh yeah man, sorry about that, yeah i "unconditional" myself, no co authorship.
If someone else is claiming to write that, please put them in their place haha and direct them here
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=2833065
Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #73
MF_Kitten

what kind of treatment have you given the kick and snare in Racecar? i love that fleshy meaty sound... i just have no idea what frequencies to boost or cut, same with the kick... i have EZdrummer with Drumkit From Hell, like everyone else, and the snare im using is the pearl 14", and the kick is the "extreme dampened"... can you drop some tips about vital frequencies to deal with here?

also, i have a fretless guitar... i want to get a sustainer, but have you seen the wiring diagrams for those? holy SHIT that stuff is messed up! :P
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #74
bulb
Resident Misha

man i would say just use your ears, i dont know too much about frequencies and whatnot and it changes with each song/riff and tuning honestly.
just keep trying out new eq shapes based off of what sounds better when you move it around and dont worry so much about settings etc.
as for the drums i use superior which is very different from ez drummer, but i use the standard sonor kit.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #75
MF_Kitten

ok, cool. im getting close to a better sound, but im not quite where i want to be...

important question for you, btw! i have a pod X3 Live, and ive set up a basic set of patches in a bank, but im not sure im where i want to be with my rhythm tone. i use the big bottom amp model, and i know you do as well, and heres the kicker: i tried installing your patch from the sevenstring.org library, and it screwed my pod up, so i had to reinstall the flash memory... tried it again, same result (scared my ass off first time! :P)

problem is, the line 6 monkey software doesent convert the pod XT file to the pod X3 format... someone else said they had the same problem, and so far it seems to be a mac-related problem...

SO, im wondering, what are your settings? i want to have a basic setup that i know the sound of, because ive heard everything youve recorded with it so far... so i kinda know how to treat it...

also, ou could upload your pod X3 patch, seeing as you switched over?

and what are your settings for your clean sound? i love that clean sound :P
Old 11-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #76
Coryd

you can open the tone up in line 6 edit and visually see how tones are setup. you can also create a tone that way too. if you have a tone that you like....you could just look at it in L6 edit, then just make one exactly like it for Pod X3.

hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #77
MF_Kitten

but can you use line 6 edit without a compatible pod connected? they have yet to make a pod x3 compatible editor... but someone posted the settings on sevenstring.org... turns out its pretty much what im already doing, but with a little different setting on the boost+eq model, and more bass on the amp model... i use the equalizer to boost alot of mids and stuff after the amp model too though
Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #78
wyllietw

Hey Bulb,

Would you mind checkin out my bands stuff n letin me know what you think of the mix. Wouldnt mind your opinions on the songwriting either tbh lol
i got ur pod patches and i must say i've been djentin it up ever since!
www.soundclick.com/suffertheseason
www.myspace.com/suffertheseason
-wyllie

Last edited by wyllietw; 11-09-2007 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: im a dumbass an forgot the link!?
wyllietw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #79
Coryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllietw View Post
Hey Bulb,

Would you mind checkin out my bands stuff n letin me know what you think of the mix. Wouldnt mind your opinions on the songwriting either tbh lol
-wyllie
Cool stuff man!!!!
The mixes to me sound pretty good, but i might bring the cymbal levels up a bit. Everything else sounds really good though!!! Great song writing too IMO. Do you use DFH Superior?

Keep it up!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #80
SkiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryd View Post
The mixes to me sound pretty good, but i might bring the cymbal levels up a bit.
+1

killer songs btw

btw#2: how do you get that blasting sound in both the snare and the bassdrum??
SkiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #81
wyllietw

Wow didnt expect such nice replies! Im quite humbled tbh haha

Well for one i use Ezdrummer but i do have DKFHS but my laptop is such a dinosaur it crys out in pain whenever i try to use it so im sticking with Ezdrummer till the new beast arrives

For the bass drum and snare sound well...I compress the FUCK out of them and i fire a limiter on the snare...makes it sound abit more agressive.

Ive actuly upgraded my setup and got myself a presonus firebox and finaly got Nuendo hopefully i can make better sounding productions with that setup, before i was making up the drum track on the comp then sending it to my Zoom HD-16 then recording around that....Laughable isnt it?

Theres gonna be a new track posted up this weekend which is turning out to be the heaviest thing we've done so if you liked what you heard i think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this newbie, its called "Serenity In Eternity" look out for it!
-Wyllie
wyllietw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #82
Coryd

Quote:
Wow didnt expect such nice replies! Im quite humbled tbh haha

Well for one i use Ezdrummer but i do have DKFHS but my laptop is such a dinosaur it crys out in pain whenever i try to use it so im sticking with Ezdrummer till the new beast arrives

For the bass drum and snare sound well...I compress the FUCK out of them and i fire a limiter on the snare...makes it sound abit more agressive.

Ive actuly upgraded my setup and got myself a presonus firebox and finaly got Nuendo hopefully i can make better sounding productions with that setup, before i was making up the drum track on the comp then sending it to my Zoom HD-16 then recording around that....Laughable isnt it?

Theres gonna be a new track posted up this weekend which is turning out to be the heaviest thing we've done so if you liked what you heard i think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this newbie, its called "Serenity In Eternity" look out for it!
-Wyllie
I'll check out the new song this weekend!!! Again, good stuff!

I just "FINALLY" found DFH Superior after weeks of looking for it since discontinued, so hopefully soon i will have some stuff to share with it.

If anyone has time, i recorded a test song with my new baritone and would like some advice as far as how the mix sounds.

Check it here if you have time: http://www.mediafire.com/?92hhmod8p1i
Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #83
puscifer

Superior got discontinued so people would wait for v2.

http://www.toontrack.com/s20.asp
puscifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #84
Coryd

Quote:
Superior got discontinued so people would wait for v2.

http://www.toontrack.com/s20.asp
You can still find a couple of copies out there though. I had GC look for it at other stores and they found some that had it.

Just info for anyone who still wants to get it before it is gone.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #85
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Hey Bulb,

-wyllie
Hey dude great stuff!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #86
Jagw

Hey guys, only recently been introduced to Periphery by a friend and i'm blown away by it! Top stuff! :)

Just a quick question for Bulb, i've invested in a Toneport and got with it the Metal Shop pack, what amp model do you get your sound from? No matter what I tweak, the sound never seems quite good enough. :(
Jagw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #87
MF_Kitten

he uses the Big Bottom amp model, and the Boost + EQ stomp unit (or the screamer unit, he apparently likes both), and does alot of EQ in the recording software...

so yeah, thats about it :P
Old 11-18-2007, 11:51 PM   #88
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
he uses the Big Bottom amp model, and the Boost + EQ stomp unit (or the screamer unit, he apparently likes both), and does alot of EQ in the recording software...

so yeah, thats about it :P
whoa with you around i dont have to answer anything anymore hahaha

but yeah thats about right!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #89
StefTD

Hey man, what did you do to the vocals on the new track that they sit in the mix, I just started recording vocals and the don't sit in the mix very well, I compress them a bit, use some reverb on them, but it sounds like they are complettly sitting next to the mix and not in the mix, I hope you know what I mean.
StefTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #90
Jagw

Cheers guys, i'll have a play about with that model and see what i can get from it :)
Jagw is offline   Reply With Quote