SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Periphery

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #121
Coryd

Bulb,

Hey man how do you get that great snare sound? Do you use comp, eq? Is it just the standard snare in the Sonar kit?

I have been trying to get a decent sounding snare, but no luck yet......
Coryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #122
bulb
Resident Misha

i get this question a lot
and the truth is its hard, im always struggling with my snare

part of it is compression, but keep in mind its not about overcompressing it, its about finding the right balance relative to your mix and the rest of the kit, and that really is dependant on your mix, so there is no general guideline, you have to experiement.

as for eqing, its even harder because its right in the frequencies that guitars and vocals occupy, and that means any changes you make to guitars eq wise and volumewise greatly affect the sound of your snare in a mix, its the drum that will most drastically change when in and out of a mix, and i have on occasion fixed it by adjusting just the guitar or bass eq haha, so you really have to tweak in a lot of different way with it.
bulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #123
Coryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb View Post

part of it is compression, but keep in mind its not about overcompressing it, its about finding the right balance relative to your mix and the rest of the kit, and that really is dependant on your mix, so there is no general guideline, you have to experiement.

as for eqing, its even harder because its right in the frequencies that guitars and vocals occupy, and that means any changes you make to guitars eq wise and volumewise greatly affect the sound of your snare in a mix, its the drum that will most drastically change when in and out of a mix, and i have on occasion fixed it by adjusting just the guitar or bass eq haha, so you really have to tweak in a lot of different way with it.
Cool man! Thanks for the info and tips.

My snare sound is kicking my anus right now. I'm still trying to find one that i like using. Which one do you use with DFH Superior? 14" Sonor 1?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #124
NavalPigsty

I don't even make stuff like this and I have problems finding snares. I do electronica stuff and it is always the hardest sample to find, a good snare
NavalPigsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #125
Pillow

so what are recommendations on EQing\special gear to get djent? ;-)
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #126
bulb
Resident Misha

tubescreamers and or pre-eq's that cut the bass a little and boost the high mids
and amps that naturally have a djenty sound like engls
Old 02-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #127
Pillow

i see i see
was just foolin around with the roadking. do you guys have keeley modded tube screamers?
maybe ill get closer with the ole mxr eq pedal

whats the eq look like on your amps if you dont mind me asking. O:-)
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #128
AndyVengeance

yeah dialing mesas are pretty difficult. how do you guys dial in the triple rec?
AndyVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:27 AM   #129
bulb
Resident Misha

the trick to djent on the rectifier series is to run it in vintage mode, then turn the treble all the way off (it acts as a midboost) and run the mids around medium (since they almost act like a presence knob) and the presence and bass based on your taste, then run the gain at like 6 or 7 and have a tubescreamer in front.
though keep in mind mesas are very volume sensitive, so settings that work at one level usually sound completely different at others, the roadster (not the road king mind you) is definitely the djentiest amp they make and its a lot easier to dial in a good sound on it.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #130
sliggy

Sup Bulb. Just asking this for confirmation sake, do you still record through your POD + Presonus Firepod? You've got a few test clips featuring your ENGL invader and I was wondering if you've started recording by micing amps now / plugging the invader in. For example, how was Tiger done?
sliggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 AM   #131
MF_Kitten

sounds alot like some other amps that iīve tried... the "treble" knob doesenīt adjust high end, it adjusts mids, and the "mid" knob adjusts the high mids pre-distortion... weird stuff :P

iīm not quite sure which knobs are pre-distortion, and which knobs are post-distortion though...
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #132
bulb
Resident Misha

tiger and the other clips (unless mentioned in the title or description) were all podxt, i just know that unit better since i have been working with it for so long, i ended up selling the palmer, so yeah just podxt to firepod.

oh and im using either the pearl 2 or dw snare usually except for zyglrox which was sonor 1
Old 02-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #133
wyllietw

Bulb ive noticed that your tone has changed alittle recently , are you using the pod X3 or something?

If its post production stuff would you mind just brushing over it alittle?
i really dig the tone on your last few clips more so than ever before.

I just got the X3 a month ago, I duno bout you but i think its fecking great , still tho i dont think ive quite nailed the tone im after! Call it a kick in the right direction is all i need
wyllietw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #134
sliggy

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X2L2T5L0

PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS! I would REALLY appreciate a few pointers on how to get the guitars sounding more ballzy and getting the bass to sit in the mix better.

Of course, comments about anything else are appreciated and welcome too.

<3
Old 03-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #135
Coryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb View Post

Do you gate your snare at all? I have tried using the DW and the Pearl 2, but i always end up having this horrible ring after the snare has been hit. It sounds like a piece of steel is being hit. Maybe i just need to learn how to eq it.....

Also, when you eq your snare do you use the parametric and like a 30 graphic eq or just one or the other?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #136
Pwnsauce

Do you tab out your songs as you are working on them? It seems it would be hard to memorize all the riffs/rhythms for a song like Racecar.

And how do you go about writing? I don't see how fast you produce songs.

oh yeah bulb you should totally enter this because you'd win for sure: http://www.guitar-idol.co.uk/home

Last edited by Pwnsauce; 03-25-2008 at 06:51 PM..
Pwnsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #137
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryd View Post
Do you gate your snare at all? I have tried using the DW and the Pearl 2, but i always end up having this horrible ring after the snare has been hit. It sounds like a piece of steel is being hit. Maybe i just need to learn how to eq it.....

Also, when you eq your snare do you use the parametric and like a 30 graphic eq or just one or the other?
nah i dont gate my snares im not into that sound, ring is good brah

and a parametric eq is your best friend, i dont really mess with graphic eqs...
Old 03-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #138
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnsauce View Post
Do you tab out your songs as you are working on them? It seems it would be hard to memorize all the riffs/rhythms for a song like Racecar.

And how do you go about writing? I don't see how fast you produce songs.

oh yeah bulb you should totally enter this because you'd win for sure: http://www.guitar-idol.co.uk/home
nah dude i suck at tabbing, i actually write and record my ideas at the same time so i dont forget them, and then i dunno since they are riffs i wrote i dont have too much trouble remembering them, even if its been a while i just listen for a little refresher and its all good usually...

haha maybe ill enter that, whats the deadline?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #139
friendforafoe

alright here's some different questions other than the usual "what's ur recording setup" or "omfg blub, ur tone is teh sex, can i haves ur tonez plz" or "i creams mehself, i want ur kick/snare sex plz too"...

do you normally just leave the default bleed/mic control in dkfhs or do you have it set up differently?

do you turn down the overheads/ambient mics and go for a more "at the gates" sound with your kick/snare/toms (i.e. turn up the volume) as it seems?

do you do a lot of eq compensation in your mixing (like say you boost x frequency in your snare and cut the same frequency in your guitars) ... just curious cuz i do...

when you do lengthy recording/mixing sessions what is your food of preference? your drink? and no you can't say Djent Drank or Periphery Energy Drink ... because that was just a photoshop thing i did for ya ... i hate to tell you, but they aren't real ... which is unfortunate ... cuz i want some ... it say it probably tastes like hopes, dreams, women, beer, pennies, puppies, Panic at the Disco hair product, polyrivums, and orgasms

long-winded i know, but uh....deal with it? lol ... oh ur tone is teh sex and i want to do dirty things to it, but i'm pretty sure it'd be non-consensual sex ... and rape is a bad thing indeed, beacue then your tone would be sad and have to go through therapy and even though it would look the same, it just wouldn't be ... it would eventually become sloppy and let itself go. I just don't want that to happen is all...holy shit that was random...fuckin aye the military does messed up things to you when they make you work 16 hours a day and there's no coffee...grrrr
friendforafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #140
noob

bulb- just picked up a 4 knob keeley compressor. what settings usually work best for you? im new to compressors. do you keep it on all the time?
noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #141
Earth Breather

Hey bulb

I am looking for a good seven string to start my djent quest. SO I have some questions for you.

1. What was your first seven?

2. Can you recommend any sevens in a decent price range?
Earth Breather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #142
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendforafoe View Post
alright here's some different questions other than the usual "what's ur recording setup" or "omfg blub, ur tone is teh sex, can i haves ur tonez plz" or "i creams mehself, i want ur kick/snare sex plz too"...

do you normally just leave the default bleed/mic control in dkfhs or do you have it set up differently?

do you turn down the overheads/ambient mics and go for a more "at the gates" sound with your kick/snare/toms (i.e. turn up the volume) as it seems?

do you do a lot of eq compensation in your mixing (like say you boost x frequency in your snare and cut the same frequency in your guitars) ... just curious cuz i do...

when you do lengthy recording/mixing sessions what is your food of preference? your drink? and no you can't say Djent Drank or Periphery Energy Drink ... because that was just a photoshop thing i did for ya ... i hate to tell you, but they aren't real ... which is unfortunate ... cuz i want some ... it say it probably tastes like hopes, dreams, women, beer, pennies, puppies, Panic at the Disco hair product, polyrivums, and orgasms

long-winded i know, but uh....deal with it? lol ... oh ur tone is teh sex and i want to do dirty things to it, but i'm pretty sure it'd be non-consensual sex ... and rape is a bad thing indeed, beacue then your tone would be sad and have to go through therapy and even though it would look the same, it just wouldn't be ... it would eventually become sloppy and let itself go. I just don't want that to happen is all...holy shit that was random...fuckin aye the military does messed up things to you when they make you work 16 hours a day and there's no coffee...grrrr
the bleed setup changes fairly regularly when im trying new mixes out, i dont even have any clue how i set it up last

i use quite a bit of the ambient and oh mics, but once again that changes depending on the mix and the kind of drum sound im going for

if i do any eq compensation, it would be by accident, i dont try to eq stuff based off of what should sound good technically, i do it based off of what does, so ill adjust the eqs till they sound better, i mean eqs are all different so the exact same setting on two different brand eqs will sound fairly different in a mix, you kinda have to learn what eqs work well for what applications.

to be honest, i usually get so caught up in recording that i forget how hungry and tired i am, and then when im done im absolutely miserable and it all hits me at once and i feel like death, then i gorge on pizza and bread and cheese and god knows what else and stuff myself silly before passing out

im healthy!
Old 04-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #143
sliggy

Hey bulb / anyone who produces things. Can you please check out my band's MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/glasgowsmile and tell me what you think of the songs there?

To Kill A Sunrise was recorded a long time ago by another member of the band so it's not really valid and I don't need opinions on it, but I'd like to get some tips on how to improve the quality of Same Mistakes, Nostalgia, and Newfound Remedy.

I want it to sound louder, more djenty, and more ballsy. Basically more power in the sound, at the moment it just sounds like cheap home production to my ears.

NEED BETTER! LOL!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #144
MF_Kitten

Misha, do you still use that headset for monitoring/mixing, or have you gotten studio monitors?

iīm getting studio monitors, see, and iīm leaning alot towards the Fostex PM1 MKII set, but i was wondering if you had any good suggestions.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #145
Coryd

Hey Bulb,

1. Couple questions....Do you use your NS-2 (noise suppressor) in conjunction with your Podxt when you record?

2. When you track guitar parts (like "the focus hour") where you have three guitar parts being played at the same time....do you double track each one and pan L and R?

3. When you EQ guitars....do you use parametric or graphic eq?

4. Do you use reverb or anything on the finished song after you have mixed it down to one track?

Sorry if this is too many..... :)
Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #146
MF_Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryd View Post
Hey Bulb,

1. Couple questions....Do you use your NS-2 (noise suppressor) in conjunction with your Podxt when you record?

2. When you track guitar parts (like "the focus hour") where you have three guitar parts being played at the same time....do you double track each one and pan L and R?

3. When you EQ guitars....do you use parametric or graphic eq?

4. Do you use reverb or anything on the finished song after you have mixed it down to one track?

Sorry if this is too many..... :)
being the geek i am iīll save misha some trouble :P

1: i think he does, as he thinks the line 6 gate sucks ass (and i agree... itīs more like a "remove some noise" type thing than a gate)

2: from what i hear, he usually does the overlaying "ambient" guitars (clean guitars etc) in the middle, with a stereo effect on it, while rhythm guitars are panned left and right.

3: Mish said he liked parametric EQs better, because you can dial in just the right sound. i like combining both types myself :)

4: from what i hear, and from what misha says, he just does some mild EQing and some compression, and then thatīs it. everything else is in the mixing/recording part of making the song.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #147
corellia

so bulb, you record with a pod x3 bean, not a pod xt live?
corellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 AM   #148
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
being the geek i am iīll save misha some trouble :P

1: i think he does, as he thinks the line 6 gate sucks ass (and i agree... itīs more like a "remove some noise" type thing than a gate)

2: from what i hear, he usually does the overlaying "ambient" guitars (clean guitars etc) in the middle, with a stereo effect on it, while rhythm guitars are panned left and right.

3: Mish said he liked parametric EQs better, because you can dial in just the right sound. i like combining both types myself :)

4: from what i hear, and from what misha says, he just does some mild EQing and some compression, and then thatīs it. everything else is in the mixing/recording part of making the song.
haha dude sorry, it would be ok to answer if you were right hahah pwned

1. nah although the podxt's gate kinda sucks, its fine on its own, i dont use any pedals or anything in front of the xt, its fine.

2. it really depends on the part, but usually rhythm parts are double tracked and lead parts are single tracked and centered, but its not a rule, it really just depends on the sound and feel im going for.

3. parametric

4. no reverb at all on the mixes
Old 05-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #149
MF_Kitten

SO CLOSE though! :P

didnīt you say somewhere you liked using an external gate? :P

and what do you set you gate to on the pod? iīm always sceptical of overdoing it, since it kinda lowers the volume, and thus the gain...

anyways, you gunna film an 8 string video soon? *nagnagnag*
Old 05-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #150
MF_Kitten

so i heard Veredika has joined Divine Heresy to replace that Cummings guy for their tour, thatīs pretty awesome! nice to see that heīs going somewhere with his talent. also, the Periphery name is being thrown around a little now, so thatīs good publicity for you guys :P