SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Grave

Grave The Official GRAVE Forum

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 05-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
ibanez

my introduction to the MIGHTY GRAVE

I used to listen to a local radio station which had a 3hr program called Rock Solid on Friday nites. During the last hour they would play the heavier stuff.
I remember the host intoducing a band claiming to be the 'heaviest band in the world'.
The band was called GRAVE and the track was For Your God.

I was a 14 yr old metalhead listening to Motley Crue, Metallica, GnR, Iron Maiden, etc.
I was totally blown away after hearing the song, it was the heaviest thing I had ever heard. I never heard deathmetal before but I knew this music was for me.

There was this older kid at school who had all the metal cassettes you could think off. I remember going to him the following Monday telling him about the band. He just looked at me and said "bring a blank tape tomorrow"

This was my descent into deathmetal.
GRAVE became my favourite band and to this day is one of the GREATEST deathmetal bands on the planet.

HAIL THE ALMIGHTY GRAVE and eternal HAILS to the original lineup OLA, JORGEN, JENSA & JONAS!
ibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
Soulgrinder

Quote:
HAIL THE ALMIGHTY GRAVE and eternal HAILS to the original lineup OLA, JORGEN, JENSA & JONAS!
Hailzz
Soulgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Painbreeder

Greetings, one and all who are buried in the GRAVE...

Let me introduce myself shortly...I'm an old schoold heavy metal & death metal fan from Finland. 27 years tomorrow and counting...Life is a mysterious thing. It has a vicious preference: we all have a natural born disease which has a 100 % mortality rate...the life itself! Muh hah hah hah hah haaaaaaa.......

I first discovered GRAVE back in 2002 when my attention was drawn towards an album review which covered a band called GRAVE and their latest comeback album BACK FROM THE GRAVE. The review hailed the band as one of the most influential and powerful death metal acts of Sweden and of the entire genre. The album itself was hailed as one of the most remarkable albums of that era, certainly an album worth listening to if one wanted to experience some seriously brutal old school death metal - the real deal reaching from the old days of brutality. I was intrigued and not much later a friend of mine introduced me to this band via two albums - INTO THE GRAVE and YOU'LL NEVER SEE...

Flash forward to Saturday 07.05.2005 and we are going to Vaasa, Finland. WCH Metal has organized a special death metal evening at an old club house/ex-movie theatre called Club 25. The bill consisted of two Finnish death metal upstarts. First, a brutal death metal act Sotajumala (God Of War) and then a brutal but very technical "morgue insanity&chainsaw-in-the-operating-room" death metal act De Lirium's Order, both hailing from Savo, Eastern Finland. The headliner of that massive evening was, of course, none other than GRAVE. And what a brutal and overwhelmingly powerful show they did! I had the priviledge of experiencing the show from front row, just about 1 m from the band. I had the priviledge of buying a "Fiendish Regression" longsleeve T-shirt and the special re-issue version of their debut album INTO THE GRAVE from the band members themselves...I had the priviledge of talking to these guys, mostly I chatted with Fredrik Isaksson before and after the show.

During the rest of 2005 I purchased the re-issue versions of the albums YOU'LL NEVER SEE... and BACK FROM THE GRAVE...and of course their then new album FIENDISH REGRESSION in its special bonus tracked form. These albums are truly the gems of death metal, definitive albums of the genre. I'm now waiting to have the SOULLESS/HATING LIFE re-issue and the latest foul breath that is AS RAPTURE COMES. I couldn't be more excited than I am because of the November release of their ENRAPTURED live DVD...

All in all, I'm very proud and excite to have made myself acquainted with GRAVE. I can recommend this band to anyone who wants to hear some of the most brutal and uncompromising death metal ever to have existed.

Other favourite bands than GRAVE:

BLACK SABBATH
JUDAS PRIEST
DIO
SAXON
IRON MAIDEN
MOTÖRHEAD
AXEL RUDI PELL
TAROT
STRATOVARIUS
HAMMERFALL
AMON AMARTH
AUTUMN LEAVES
BOLT THROWER
BENEDICTION
CARCASS
NILE
MORBID ANGEL
DEICIDE
PANTERA
SEPULTURA
KING DIAMOND
MERCYFUL FATE

etc...

Last edited by Painbreeder; 10-02-2006 at 09:53 PM..
Painbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
napalm duck

Hehe, that's a cool thread...
well the story ain't all that long. About 10 years ago, I was searching through some old Germand Metalzines my brother had left in a closet and found a special issue of ROCK HARD dating back to '92 covering Deathmetal only. Next to a history of the genre, a very cool selection of interviews with many classic acts there was a (nowadays hillariously outdated) "top-50-DM-Albums of all times" list. GRAVE wasn't mentioned there, but somewhere they were quoted with the words that they "don't know why we don't have the same success [like Entombed/Dismember]. Maybe we are just too brutal. to my understanding, there's no other band this direct and mercyless" and this quote stuck in my mind.

Two years later, I found a record (a sampler mentioned in that same special Issue called "In the eyes of death") in a second hand store which contained two songs of GRAVE - 'ERODED' and 'PUTREFACTION REMAINS'. They totally blew me away, but it took me - sweet sixteen and hardly a clue where to buy onto some decent death metal-CDs - about a year till I could lay hands on a first full length offering of the band. It was INTO THE GRAVE, found in the same record store, missing its booklet (there was a sign saying it had gotten stolen). That CD really ignited the flame for GRAVE. The titletrack is still my most favorite GRAVE song.

Then, an endless struggle began to collect all the albums, a task that still isn't done to this day, as I find it hard to get a hold of a copy of "...and here I die". Very sad, because I used to have a virtual copy of the "BLACK DAWN" song which got lost in a computer crash, and then it wasn't here for download anymore... *sigh*

enough rambling.

Last edited by napalm duck; 10-09-2006 at 07:50 PM..
napalm duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
tbr

Back in 1994 my cousin bought the "Soulless" album, and when introduced to it I was totally hooked. At the time Swedish death metal still (and it still does, in my world ;) ) ruled the world. I was extremely excited about bands as Entombed, Edge of Sanity and Cemetary (For some reason Dismember never seemed to rock my world :/ ) back then, so Grave really just added another great aspect of the great death metal - Entombed just released "Wolverine Blues" and it rocked so great and so did the "Soulless" album! :)
Since then I've bought every Grave album availabel and enjoys them with still increasing pleasure. The new album is really brilliant!
tbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
the16th6toothson

every older band needs a thread like this!!!

here is my story, not exactly "special" but my story is vaguely similar to Ibanez'z only for me that was other bands, GRAVE was a classic example of a band i got into due to my "shopping spree" moments!

ANYWAY! there used to be this store here called "Record Alley" and it had it all! and i mean it had it all, including anything DEATHMETAL to be found in stores, if it was by RoadrunneR, Century Media, Earache, Nuclear Blast,... JL America (HAHA!) Record Alley had it! Me and a friend of mine (Brandon King was his name with an awesome eddie munster hairdo WITH mullet hair in the back) would go and grab anything we thought might be DEATHMETAL
I would buy ten or so cassettes and he would do the same... it was always the same way of thinking "Dan Seagrave drew the cover, i gotta get this" "Nuclear Blast put this out! we need it"

then we'd go to his room and listen to everything we could and sometimes would trade. I remember buying INTO THE GRAVE because it was on Century Media and had this song "Extremely Rotten Flesh" and of course-that's DEATHMETAL, well i remember two things... i never even offered to trade that one and i went home the next day to play it while doing my chores.

The brutality and the steam rolling merciless, barbaric and dominant nature of the album struck me. There was brutality and savagery-Butchered at Birth and Deicide's brutality was very harsh and cruel and Corpse was even monstrous at the time- but Grave, Grave was IMMENSE. Everything about that album was and is just HUGE, a real power house.

to this day is murders me how massive it is!!!
the16th6toothson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
foreign10

I found out about Grave through a compilation that came with Immolations "Harnessing Ruin" (great album by the way). not a lot about that compilation stuck out to me (besides Immolation, Exodus, and of course Graves tracks) and the song was "Last Journey". I knew I should check the band out because I remembered something about the song, and for me that's usually a sign to look into the band more. I bought the album "Fiendish Regression" and I love it! I also own "Soulless" and their latest "As Rapture Comes". great band that I'm glad I looked into!
foreign10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
the16th6toothson

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign10 View Post
I found out about Grave through a compilation that came with Immolations "Harnessing Ruin" (great album by the way). not a lot about that compilation stuck out to me (besides Immolation, Exodus, and of course Graves tracks) and the song was "Last Journey". I knew I should check the band out because I remembered something about the song, and for me that's usually a sign to look into the band more. I bought the album "Fiendish Regression" and I love it! I also own "Soulless" and their latest "As Rapture Comes". great band that I'm glad I looked into!
great start man!!!! get the reissue of Into the Grave for an EXCELLENT chunk of their early years, you need everything though hehehe
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
foreign10

I'll check that out. I have a lot to buy lately when it comes to music.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
the16th6toothson

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign10 View Post
I'll check that out. I have a lot to buy lately when it comes to music.
Well, heheh... i will tell you this much, if you have any albums on your list released after 1992, it would be wise to forsake one or two of those to get Into the Grave first ;)
Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
foreign10

advice taken ;)
Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
rackinghengxin

hengxin6

I agree with you, and that's exactly what I thought. So exciting! You really have a wonderful idea! I believe that you've got it right. Pallet Racking
rackinghengxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
LROCK

My introduction was on Youtube, and then the myspace page. I really haven't gotten into to death metal (Krisiun and Nile in small doses), but when I saw the video for Bloodpath, I did some research. I am now hooked!!! I have all of the newer stuff, and am now trying to get some of the older cd's. I did pick up "Into The Grave", and it kicks ass!! Of course all of the newer stuff does as well!!! Unbelievably heavy riffs. I fucking love it!!!! I just watched the dvd last night, too. AWESOME!!!!
LROCK is offline   Reply With Quote